Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994705 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14130 on: May 16, 2017, 12:12:57 am »

Their next target was a small burrow carved out in the middle of sweeping hills, having swept northeast and closer to the lands where they started their journey, after an initial probing of the desert. Carved into one of the hills was a gaping hole in the earth, from with strange echoing sounds could be heard, almost resembling voices.

The serpent woman waited outside, as the human's plan was to lure out the beast that lay within. What he was confronted by was a massive leonine figure with bright red fur, head displaying a pair of massive curled horns, like that of a ram. More shoking was its tail, thicker and stiffer than any natural lion's tail, the fur thin and hinting at the segemented chitin of a scorpion, tipped with a curved stinger in place of a tail-tuft. On top of all that, a massive pair of bat-wing wings jutted out from its back unaturally.

Despite the fearsome nature of the beast, it was ill-suited for fighting in the simple burrow it took shelter in, used to being free to stalk and swoop down on prey outside, rather than being ithin its own lair. Despite its size, the wanderer found the wicked point of his new makeshift spear easily tore deepwounds into the massive paws, the creature hobbled and soon crippled with a few cautious jabs.

Given the plan, the serpent woman was fearing the worst, expecting their target would be lured outside, shaken when the sounds of battle ceased. A few minutes latter the human ventured out, the reason for this pause made clear: as before, the human skinned his prey, taking what he could for the massive beast, further adding to his panoply of crude armor, and bringing with him a small organ crudely torn from its tail, for later use.

And now I must bugger off for the night, so more crappy writing some other time.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: May 16, 2017, 12:30:17 pm »

"With crude armor of stiff chitin and hard bony plates, and a massive tooth of iron-like hardness affixed to a spear shaft, the adventurer continued onward, companion in tow..."
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14132 on: May 16, 2017, 12:46:03 pm »

Hnng been out and about today, so no more storytime for now. ;w;

However, since I've been catching up on the first couple kills made before I remembered I was posting about it in the thread, I do have one more while I have a break on the laptop.

The two wanderers continued north, their next target soon in sight. Hidden among the sweeping plains and sparsely-forested hills lay a strange absence of trees and grass, dotted with numerous weathered stone pillars, any artwork or writing long since worn smooth. The only plant life present there were scant patches of moss clinging to the crumbling pillars, or growing in the cracks of the few surviving signs of cobblestone.

Neither of the wanderers knew the origin of the place. The serpent woman knew a scant few tales of the place, one like various other such sites scattered across the world. Some remnant of the civilizations that struggled and fell in this blighted world. Or perhaps a place of sacrifice, built in a desperate bid to placate the monsters that often lingered there. She'd also heard tales from the human lands, overheard once from the sole non-goblin in the warlord's band, that the gods themselves built these structures, either to contain ancient evils or to empower them.

And what they found was indeed an ancient evil. A massive reptilian form could be seen lingering, resting in the very heart of the ruins. Being vaguely aware of dragons and other great scaly beasts, the human could tell at a glance it was unlike any such beast he knew. It resembled quite mundane, even benign, reptiles. But its hide displayed sparse scales of a sickly green color, and strange entennae seemed to grow from the sides of its head.

But although the beast was awake, its attention was directed elsewhere, to the west and downwind from them. He decided this time he could direct the serpent woman to follow behind her, his plan being to cripple the beast as he did with the last hunt, and then working together they could finish it. His companion had proven very effective at seeing off aggressive wildlife before.

When they approached toward, the beast stirred, abruptly turning towards them. Its eyes fixed a cold gaze upon them, head lowered to reveal a third reptilian eye atop its head. Rather than making any sound of alarm it made an erratic scramble towards them, a splash of strange, foul-smelling liquid spat at the human, which he sidestepped with ease.

This sight was enough to alarm his companion, setting her fleeing frantically, the wanderer once again facing the beast on his own. As before his strikes first sought the feet, an easy matter given the unsteady movement of the creature.

The human fell into a frenzy, cautious prodding quickly devolving into frantic stabbing, clambering on the beast to jab the makeshift spear deep into its neck. At this point the beast, once intimidating, was reduced to frantic attempts to swipe and snatch at the human, frequently trying and failing to spray its strange venom to deter the attacker.

By the time his companion worked up the courage to lend aid, the human had opened such grave wounds in the monster that blood pooled all about, muddying the soil and staining ancient stones. When he'd time to collect himself he saw the beast dead, and that thankfully even with his carelessness neither of were harmed. Once more he carved his morbid trophies, carefully collecting some of the strange material the creature used as venom, some of his older scavenged armor given to the serpent woman as well, leaving them both clad in a mix of bone, leather, and what little iron the brigands possessed that either of them could wear.

With that they set off again, sights set on more places they knew of, rumors of other possible villages and more great beasts along the way...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:28:05 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14133 on: May 16, 2017, 06:48:15 pm »

I thought that once I get back to trying to play DF again if ever at all I'd feel stressed out and all other sorts of negativity...

...but for some reason I decided yesterday to take a peek at dfhack's updating progress and instead found quickly out that indeed it has been updated for the current 43.05 version of the game and it rather quickly followed with me porting my own mini-mods over and then downloaded and installed ZM5's Warcraft-only version of his bigger and much grander mod. Genned a brand new world and started the adventure as a tough female draenei paladin (thanks to the quality of life improver program the DFhack!) again but with an altered personality from a character I was playing as previously in 43.03 last year.

Kinda glad I chose to start off as a Draenei this time around too because there's only one Draenei civilization in the center of the world's map and I just ended up with something that made my sides on fire, I mean.. *tries to withhold laughter*:

..uh. A.. w-what, w-where now?

Umm, if the beast is squashed how come it's still a proble- wait it's the name of the place, isn't it? Where the actua- ..I don't even. Look how about you give me some of that crack those historians are apparently most likely been using. O_o

I'm in stitches from laughter, I mean I haven't even started off going somewhere in the game and I'm already having hard time to breath because of sheer hysterical arse-backwards RNG naming system! Now I remember one of the main reasons why I gave DF a try the first time last year.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:55:59 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: May 16, 2017, 07:23:00 pm »

@Droggarth, good to see you playing again ^__^ hope you're well!

And yeah the naming system is great in its weirdness.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14135 on: May 16, 2017, 07:50:56 pm »

Even better: The lair of a beast is called "The Squashed Beast", and where is it located?

In the Plain of Portents. As in, the Plain of Things That Are Predicted To Possibly Happen In The Future.

Get a hammer. Do it now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14136 on: May 16, 2017, 08:39:47 pm »

@Droggarth, good to see you playing again ^__^ hope you're well!

And yeah the naming system is great in its weirdness.

Thanks! I've been getting better these past few months slowly but surely than the last year or the year before that, so for the first time I'm kind of getting eager to play DF with a fresh and a more healed mind since yesterday and so no feelings of rush or some form of desperation like last time when I didn't even know the inner workings of the game but now it's just me looking and thinking back basically about DF along the lines of "Hmm, the combat was from awesome to borderline hysterical dark humor scenarios.".

Slowly starting to get back into playing DF it seems as even now while writing this post I'm thinking about my new character's future plans of adventure and her exploits and it's like proverbially trying to grab my neck from the monitor and pull me into it. Not many games manage to do that to me other than a select rare few I still play from time to time to ones I still play more regularly.

Even better: The lair of a beast is called "The Squashed Beast", and where is it located?

In the Plain of Portents. As in, the Plain of Things That Are Predicted To Possibly Happen In The Future.

Get a hammer. Do it now.

Ack, KEK! Exactly! It sure has an ironic poetry to it, even though I already went and killed the minotaur before so it just added a bit more stitches to my sides. Was of course a kind of a battle simulation mode outside the arena just to see what is ahead and how the new game version works, means I'll probably just revert to the last save before the trip to there and squash the minotaur in The Squashed Beast labyrinth again.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:42:26 pm by Droggarth »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14137 on: May 18, 2017, 05:20:58 pm »

Went on an elephant hunt for bones, left the cave brandishing a spear I'd taken off a soldier a while back. Tracked down some rhinos and got in some practice with them, took them down without too much trouble after much jabbing and dodging. Found a pair of elephants, ran up and poked one in the face, only to notice it has a name...

Looked in legends mode, this elephant killed a roc, an ettin, a few jaguara, and two dwarven soldiers... After reading that I immediately stopped poking and let him run away, the man...mal deserves some respect.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: May 18, 2017, 06:52:36 pm »

Looked in legends mode, this elephant killed a roc, an ettin, a few jaguara, and two dwarven soldiers... After reading that I immediately stopped poking and let him run away, the man...mal deserves some respect.

That's one badass elephant. One should think twice before starting a battle with it, heh. How the elephant even took down a roc is one heck of a tale alone, probably used its trunk to grab the roc from the air and pull the flying beast onto the ground first and then started stomping it liberally.

Speaking of survival and battle, I'm still impressed how a barely clothed legendary warrior with only a helmet, gauntlets, high boots and a weapon or two along with no exertion tag can move like a jedi and not have a single scratch other than the pool of his/her enemy on the body. Then again I do pay more attention to what attack is incoming from a hostile npc and try to chop off the attacking part and then read the satisfying text of "X-bodypart sails off in an arc" if my counter-attack is successful.

Adventure-wise I have nothing significant to tell as I'm still only taking small steps to get back into the game. I only so far have killed the minotaur the second time in the 43.05 version by first removing its lower arms and lower legs first, broke its back with my character's leg kick along removing the minotaur's horns and at some point in-between I also hacked its guts off after spilling them out first, all that I did with my ischronite greataxe. Ah, yeah, ischronite. It's my super version of adamantine.

Imagine seeing a muscular figure just entering your lair and suddenly hacks off one of your limbs and then quickly hacks the rest of them off and the next thing you manage to take a glimpse at is your own stomach cut wide open and your digestive system all out and poured on the ground with blood everywhere and you feel numb from the neck down and then you see that attacker beheading you while you vomit and the rest is R.I.P and history. Thinking about it now and giving it a more serious thought, it's just borderline fucked-up, not sure why I'm even laughing! Probably because it is one of the worst gruesome ways to die in DF and yet it's still a rather mundane day-to-day life in the game and it is inevitable by default. o_o
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:04:25 pm by Droggarth »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14139 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:44 am »

@Droggarth - nice to see you playing this again.

I haven't had too many interesting adventures myself - currently I'm playing as a Mo'arg demon, wielding a dark iron buzz-saw gauntlet. I came across an odd fel orc chieftain outside of the town of Blanketdead.

He was hanging around this abandoned town of the Forsaken - it was destroyed by a roc very early on in the world history, and had several more monster rampages since then. The only inhabitants according to legends viewer are the single fel orc, a single forsaken, and four forest trolls. I haven't seen the forsaken inhabitant, although I did see 3 forest troll priests.

For...whatever reason, he was completely nude and standing in the woods outside of the town centre. He immediately ran at the sight of me and two of my drunk buddies, but couldn't get far before I tore apart his legs and clove his head asunder.

I decided to take over the town for my demon civ, ruling the Reign of Chaos from the keep. Planning to have more adventurers travel to that town.

Galap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14140 on: May 20, 2017, 02:43:39 pm »

Fighting a bronze collossus using my tried and true method of throwing gold coins at it from across a river.

Throwing other stuff like armor or silver and copper coins doesnt seem to damage it. I'm guessing gold coins are specifically effective because they are both small and dense, kind of like bullets.

maybe i should get a crossbow and see if bolts work better or worse.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14141 on: May 20, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »

Left the caverns after bringing down and butchering a jabberer for high value bones, wandered around and suddenly ran into a bandit camp... Walked in, after going back and leaving my companion at home, started talking to people. Got spit at a ton, and learned why after I spoke with the bandit chief. His brother was one of the bandits who ambushed me in my sleep about a month back, I killed them all with hammers to the face or axes to the chest. I asked him of any troubles, and apparently they are having problems with bandits... Didn't know bandits could be close enough to do that.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

OmegaShadowcry

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of Many Memes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14142 on: May 22, 2017, 10:21:31 pm »

I can recall doing the classic mod of being able to play as a bronze colossus in Adventure mode. I then proceeded to kill a few minotaurs and giants, and then found another colossus.
I killed it bashing in it's head with my bronze fist, so I was pretty surprised when that happened.

More recently, I had an adventurer who kept getting ambushed by giant saltwater crocodile recruits. They must have had it out for him or something. They weren't particularly good in battle, however.

Currently, however, I'm mucking about with Masterwork's item creation system. I'm going to try and get my adventurer a nice, strong sword, and get my companion a good polearm. Then I'll go kill something massive, in the most metal way I can think of. That, or both of them will die incredibly in the process.

Update: He died horribly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:54:56 pm by OmegaShadowcry »
He finally died when there was nothing else to take and my axeman bled him out trying to steal his guts.
I walked off of the outer wall a few minutes later as the new King. I'm still baffled.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14143 on: May 23, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »

The thing about building a character based off of the express emotions menu is there are the things you can control and the things you can't.

I had that fleeting thought on day 1 to try to log Observer as the first skill acquired (after weather's lead entry in the form of a complaint), but that's not guaranteed by merely waiting for horses to attack and then dodging away. The skill likely to come in first was fighting, and as mentioned earlier, Bim went with easier and faster by logging wrestling and fighting via Kisat Dur's grab dodge, then the swimming. In true stoic fashion, control what you can, ignore the stuff you can't.

After training, Bim did what all trainees do. He ate a meal (boiled fish) and then fell asleep on top of a rainy subterranean hillock mound. When he awoke, it was snowing. If the weather had been clear, Bim would have made his first prayer to Datan, god of mountains. But since he was in a snowstorm, he'd let tracking run so that it could take its position in his express emotions menu. Thinking it through, it also made sense to learn tracking in a snow storm. It's adaptive behavior as opposed to creating a rote express emotions menu catalogue.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Always in the background, tracking's counting upwards. It's like the seconds of your life. There's nothing you can do to stop it.

In the morning, once the river thawed, Bim returned to neighboring hillock Cloistercaves to swim under one of its a bridges until swimmer reached talented and toughness/endurance reached superior. He'd cap that off with some hot tea and the first prayer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hillock Cloistercaves has discarded books lying about, but reading them would produce the clutter of book spam, and that can wait for express emotions menu page 2.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:47:13 pm by peasant cretin »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14144 on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:07 pm »

@Droggarth - nice to see you playing this again.

Thanks, though I only more or less am trying to get into the game again, I have fond memories of my adventurers from last year after all but the thing that keeps shooing me away from the game is the lack of visual input and I try telling my brain that "hey you're already good to great at imagination! relax!". Could be related to my dislike of reading books or trying to read them in which case I'll have to re-wire my brain a tad to see the game as a huge exception.

Thinking back I can't help but think of booting up the game due to positive memories of both combat, adventuring, laughter and the vastness of interaction in the game plus this time around I already know more than just basics of modding and I have kept my own small mods on my hard-drive(s) and with dfhack updated for 43.05 version of the game I'm more than good to continue playing the game again. Heck, I can even play as a mortal character made immortal by being a necromancer or some other form of secret knowledge from ZM5's modpack with the help of dfhack and with dfhack I can do more interesting stuff and witchcraft than in any other game.

More recently, I had an adventurer who kept getting ambushed by giant saltwater crocodile recruits. They must have had it out for him or something. They weren't particularly good in battle, however.

I burst up laughing just now! Heh, the hilarity of running into something so ridiculous or so bad that one can't help but laugh until one's sides go on fire and then continue playing and be like "okay so, uh.. okay that happened" which is an amusing element itself!
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1103