Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995029 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14235 on: June 23, 2017, 02:32:31 am »

I just had to delay anyway, I couldn't pass through without visiting the colossus, another hydra, another goblin lord, and now a minotaur. This one had a lower level from which it had been murmuring sinister nothings at us. When I went down to locate his treasure room, I found one corner in the sand filling up with 1/7 of water. If I had the presence of mind to simply dig a ditch to contain it (assuming the next layer down is also aquifer) then I wouldn't be excavating the entire ceiling over it. I suspect I'll find nothing but more pieces of steel that only the elf could wear, half of which he doesn't need.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14236 on: June 23, 2017, 11:12:07 am »

I just conquered two towns for my dwarves' civilization, then travelled to the other side of the world, swam across the ocean (not fun, took a goddamn hour) and used my companions as a meatshield as I fought the Hill Titan, also the last megabeast in the world, and would have took credit for the kill had it not bled to death first. I then built a little town nearby and stored the body in a coffin as a display.

charcharmunro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14237 on: June 23, 2017, 04:42:55 pm »

Just casually butchered an entire goblin civilisation with no armor,  one hand, a half-broken iron scimitar, (the game started me with a silver sword and I ditched it immediately, then grabbed the next sword I found, which... Happened to belong to a goblin.) and frankly silly amounts of sending trolls into pits, after I'd killed a rose brush titan.

And then bogeymen happened. At least killed one, which is more than I usually do, but it feels terrible when your Legendary+++ Fighter and High Master Swordsman is almost immediately fucked over by bogeymen because they just go "nah mate I don't GET hit".

Prior to that, had a really great run, surprisingly went uninjured after killing... A lot of things. And then a mummy comes along and immediately crushes my neck through all my armor.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:44:53 pm by charcharmunro »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14238 on: June 23, 2017, 08:39:44 pm »

Angels would be more difficult if they weren't so genial. You can sneak in on one facing the opposite direction from the only way in, greet him from a distance, and he'll return the greeting and turn right back. But he's done a congratulatory job in guarding that slade wall; since time began, not one intruder has made it through.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #14239 on: June 25, 2017, 01:19:14 am »

My adventurer just got ambushed by 14+ soldiers, accompanied by elephants and giant leopards.  I dropped my backpack full of dragon bits so I could move around at full speed, and they all ran away.  They didn't even say what they wanted!
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14240 on: June 25, 2017, 05:13:02 am »

I'm hanging out in a refurbished hulking ogre lair, as you do, playing my bortu as the elvish nude dancer I picked up at the library sings accompaniment.  Through the strategically carved fortifications I have a beautiful view of the revolting ooze plopping on the ryegrass and staring eyeballs. I'm finally out of the snow!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I actually have no idea how many ogres live here. The place was empty when I got here, and the Jaundiced Prairie is such a vast space full of so many hulking ogres that region history doesn't narrow for me any. After deducting the ones I've already killed, there's still too many. I guess it'll be a surprise for me, even more surprising for the elves, who haven't seen one of these things before, except perhaps from the engravings I detailed the walls with.

TheVulture

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently on a strict diet of dwarves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14241 on: June 25, 2017, 01:04:48 pm »

People keep calling me a killer after i saved their asses, is this normal?
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a King of an infinite space"

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14242 on: June 25, 2017, 01:11:28 pm »

You are a killer - you killed people. What you don't want to be called is a murderer.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #14243 on: June 25, 2017, 04:15:08 pm »

Yeah it's descriptive, there's no judgement in calling someone a killer in DF.

Kumo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14244 on: June 25, 2017, 05:32:29 pm »

Mhm. People occasionally mention I'm a "Killer" in while also describing me as "So very brave" and "A legendary hero." Unhinged is the negative judgement which I think comes from perpetrating an assault/murder. Right now it seems really buggy and people might think you're unhinged for killing something that started combat with you and tried to kill you. If you want to become more famous/respected, hunting megabeasts and night creatures seems to be one of the most effective (And safe in terms of your reputation) methods in my experience. Mentioning you killed basically any sapient, civilized race seems a bit risky, even if they were a mass murderer who ate baby squirrels and drank mermaid blood.

charcharmunro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14245 on: June 25, 2017, 05:58:43 pm »

So as it turns out, even if you can kill well over a hundred trolls with just one hand and a busted-up bronze sword, you can't do shit to a lizard demon made of rock crystal sitting at the top of it all. Literally landed one hit, which glanced away, then it punched my eyelid and the force exploded my head.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14246 on: June 25, 2017, 06:20:33 pm »

hunting ... night creatures seems to be one of the most effective (And safe in terms of your reputation)
Some night creatures started out as civilized sapients and their friends and family are still technically connected to them and may hate you for killing them. Even if they would bring them up as a "trouble" rumor.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14247 on: June 25, 2017, 07:55:57 pm »

After adding in "mineable" salt, ended up expanding reactions for cooking, tea processing, a bunch of weird stuff and what not, etc., etc… So with all that in, I genned a new 1050 hidden history world w/o bogeymen. While I don't mind fighting the first mob of bogeys as it's a nice character milestone for defensive stats (you've reached lvl10), every mob after that is tedious. Really, all mobs are tedious. Who wants to fight wolves or dingoes once the counter has tipped over for "doesn't really care about anything anymore"? Too bad archers can't forecast AoE at 3 shots per 3x3 tiles.

Prior to character creation I had a brief look at the gods available for the various dwarven civs (meh) and decided to play dwarven Enkidu/Green Knight and roll a dwarf outsider with what I'd consider a peasant's observer/endurance build.

Feb Forestpebble the Good, possibly being a Finnish dwarf, doesn't have anyone in his list of people that he knows or has spoken to. He belongs to no group. Being an outsider is great in this regard. Why have a randomly assigned network that you've known all your life, particularly when it's likely they're more often cardboard cutouts? At any rate, Feb starts this run by exiting a subterranean mound into a rain shower. Weather logging itself as the first entry in the express emotions menu is always nice.

Now while it's meaningless in terms of in-game effect, using a bit of DF2014 arena mode testing (so as to see the actual xp numbers), I mapped out how to stat up Observer first so it appears as the second entry in the express emotions menu.

Usually your character gets 2xp of observer when they see or make an attack. They could get quite a bit more xp if they passively respond to a charge (might be up to 20xp?). It's fine getting charged and stunned if there's no accompanying attack. And so long as your character and the critter are at hostility level brawl, once you're on the ground you'll be ignored. With the occurrence being irregular, it's not a great thing to wait on.

Naturally, it's back to waiting to see an attack for the consistent 2xp of observer and then dodging away, where you'll only get 3xp of fighter and 3xp of dodger if there's an attack report—meaning you dodged after their attack's prepare phase. Feb's doing this versus a horse. Horses kick for a standard attack of 8 ticks (4 to prepare, 4 to recover). Low end of the bracket is 6 ticks for quick attack and up at 10 for heavy/precise. Dodge away is 6 ticks (likely 3 to prepare, 3 to recover).

So, there's more likelihood of getting 2xp/0xp/0xp as opposed to a 2xp/3xp/3xp split if your character waits for the horse to become adjacent, waits one tick until the attack presents itself, then opts to dodge away.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 07:59:30 pm by peasant cretin »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14248 on: June 25, 2017, 08:00:28 pm »

I recently found out that hauling the corpse, limbs and head of a megabeast and then dropping them down around a large group of a civ npcs after telling the leader of that civ that the job is done, quite amusing.

I mean they wanted a megabeast slain and I brought its remains as a sign of "Hey! Job done! here ye go, now make food or clothes or both out of it or something.", while everyone is horrified more or less seeing the grizzly sight of severed blood dripping body parts of a large creature.
It's like a cruel joke to them along the lines of "Yes we wanted it dead but we didn't need to see that! *belch*". While my character is like "I was kinda hoping you'd help me make some bone gear out of that thing, not every day one gets to slay such a beast.. besides I'm kinda hungry now, dragged that thing for miles.".
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:17:10 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14249 on: June 25, 2017, 10:26:03 pm »

Feb Forestpebble can walk one of two paths. Advance narratively like a procedural baby, or gamey like a mechanized brute. As a baby, it's not just observer first. It's tracking second as this is akin to crawling. Later more complex motor skills like climbing and swimming would come in. Aside from pushing observer, you let the game unfold on its terms. The brute outlook is this: how many skills can I advance (cram in) before the always-on tracking skill advances? How can you work against the natural flow of the game? It's like trying to win a grappling match based on forcing penalties rather than working for ippon. Like most stout numskulls, Feb is a brute and even though dabbling tracking is well on its way to turning over to novice (1xp after another until the counter reaches 500), the lizard brain says let's follow observer with fighter and then wrestler. If an object is crafted, tracker can be forced into 6th place, maybe even 7th if there's a trade. Tracking which appears as "State feelings of great satisfaction upon improving tracking" is the eventual shrimping movement done to escape side control, but every other entry in the express emotions menu is just another adjustment for maintaining a wet blanket pin.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1103