Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995359 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14340 on: July 18, 2017, 04:17:54 pm »

A short walk away from my city-state was the mine I had been developing, and I decided to make my claim final. The only other group with a claim on this land has no surviving members (All figures connected to their entity had a death date and no new ones had spawned to (MAINTAIN_ENTITY_STATUS, so I stripped their entity ownership from the site.)

While I was at the vault I managed to destroy my armor by colliding with my own minecart (jumping across or into its tile will do that.) The minecart was damaged worse, but all was still in mostly serviceable condition, so getting replacements had been less priority than vanity. Down the tunnel were exposed layers of hematite and the cavern layer had an open magma pipe, so it was the perfect opportunity to craft my own. I managed a masterwork breastplate on the first try! The greaves took over half a day forging and remelting which works with advfort now.)  No flux for steel, but I had finally retired my bronze breastplate for full iron plate. I still wear a masterwork bronze shirt, but the greaves took too much time for such a marginal improvement, and I like the adornments on this.

I should have made an iron shield for the old man, but I crafted him wooden while turning back to the city. He has managed to destroy three of those on enemies, all masterwork.

EDIT: Back in population with a day to spare, so I toured around taverns and tourist attractions. I collected war dances because they're the only means you have of conducting your companions in physical training. I collected new musical styles for my bortu! But all of them suck. And I visited the temple of Quabu, who I'm nominally a casual worshiper of, but I'm really more of an agnostic observer. I compose fan fiction of her while ritually masturbating to her statues, but we don't talk much. And while there I saw that every single statue had become unmounted, no doubt by a history of profaners. So I helpfully mortared one into an aesthetic placement, tested the adhesion by throwing my shoulder into it, and became cursed by Quabu to assume the form of a cat-like monster every full moon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:48:59 pm by Uzu Bash »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: July 19, 2017, 12:32:37 am »

Just learned how deadly throwing picks is. I know picks in melee combat is, but by throwing a pick after I lost possession of my spear I managed to behead a cyclopse. Tried it again on some bandits and each toss resulted in loss of limb. Going to try making a pick-throwing reliant adventurer, jumping away from danger only to throw a pair of picks into them then jump back away.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14342 on: July 19, 2017, 12:57:30 am »

Just learned how deadly throwing picks is. I know picks in melee combat is, but by throwing a pick after I lost possession of my spear I managed to behead a cyclopse. Tried it again on some bandits and each toss resulted in loss of limb. Going to try making a pick-throwing reliant adventurer, jumping away from danger only to throw a pair of picks into them then jump back away.
I think you mean bat-dwarf tossing pick-arangs
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: July 19, 2017, 02:12:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goodness, my social skils are just atrocious, atrocious for a werecat! How could I ever face them without shame? If only there were some etiquette school for werecats I could attend.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14344 on: July 19, 2017, 08:39:27 pm »

It's the westward journey to human lands and wool yarn.
With yarn, Bim can finally outfit himself for the cold. He had been using silk, but would prefer more woolliness. Leather chafes and has a scaly feel (I'll never understand DF's preoccupation with leather). Plant fiber's weight is disproportionate. The way is woolly.

At the start of it, there's turkey hunting which proves to be good for encumbrance. These turkey corpses are 4-5r in weight. Once butchered they yield 8-9 units of meat and 1 unit of intestinal track. The meat weighs 2r per unit and the offal 1r each. Keeping whole turkeys in his quiver or pack saves Bim 14r per corpse on encumbrance. Quite a thing when you only have above average strength. Actually, quite a thing for any strength category.

Further along, in a cold swampy region called the Lone Mire, Bim is attacked by a 5-pack of wolves; an audience cipher wolf surrounded by his adoring harem. Bim's strength finally tiers over from above average to high; pretty much the result of multiple grip heavy combats with the 1 giant bear, 2 carp, 5 wolves (moose/turkeys were shot at range).
While none of the combats were prolonged, the additional grips, beyond the single latched grip you need to cancel the opponent's ability to dodge, add up. Every time you grip, re-grip, release or have grip broken is wrestler/fighter/observer XP gain, and wrestler/fighter gain is strength gain. All the superdwarven stats are from the crutch-walker/ambusher combo (not sure what tracker's contributed). Toughness had tiered to high by swimming (while drowning) from adequate to talented. At the most recent fort stopover, Bim added 2 levels reaching expert, though toughness had tiered to superior just a little over half way between talented and adept swimmer. Swimmer does help strength, but not by very much. A peasant who starts with above average strength will take around twice the number fights Bim had to tier to high usually—IIRC somewhere around 20, presuming a non-grappling series of combats which follow whatever looks good on the menu, and if no good targets are available, defers to block/dodge/wait the ticks until the menu offers something safe and sound.

At some point during the battle with wolves, the pair of XXelk leather glovesXX Bim had been wearing met their natural end.
Now with that three stage devolution taken care of, Bim will hopefully log striker -> kicker -> biter in uninterrupted sequence, perhaps followed by misc obj user. May or may not happen. Would be nice if it did.

These wolf corpses vary between the average sized wolf's 44r up to the muscular wolf's 65r. Three of the five corpses are mangled and will be left for the wilds to reclaim. Bim butchers one of the two relatively unharmed wolves, and collects the meat/offal in a bag. He packs the other (44r) into his backpack for the trek. Jogging speed is now down to 0.277 or 0.273 in ambush. Bim had been making good time at 0.400-0.500 speed.

While the game's measure of a day's travel might be based on 1.000 speed, a well-supplied long trek will still have you leaning closer to 0.500. As previously mentioned, every unit of meat (muscle) is around 2r in weight, every unit of offal (organ) is 1r, as are fruit/veg/cheese. The lightest travel on nuts would still be heavy. Bim's slept over 7 times so far and is only three-fifths of the way west. ETA is probably under two weeks, but it'll be close.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14345 on: July 20, 2017, 03:45:16 am »

I returned from my cross country hunting trip to a cache I had set up in an abandoned shop. I had placed all my equipment into a backpack which I placed in a chest in the corner. Now that I've returned I see almost none of it there. All the divine armor gone, though the clothing is still there. My adamantine loincloth and socks which I had painstakingly made while subnovice in strand extraction, vanished. I can't even make loincloths now because of my dwarven citizenship!

Could it have been stolen? When I first returned I stopped briefly to drop collected leathers and an iron shield I had picked up from goblin territory. The leathers remained, but the shield is also missing.

EDIT: I think it was an issue with leaving overcapacity backpacks in offloaded maps, one that I should have remembered from last time I played a wereadventurer. But, everything that was in there can be replaced, which is what my next expedition will do. Now that I have a hematite mine and magmaworks, making my own armor replacements will be quicker than sorting through every armory, treasury and hoard on the continent. Plus now that I know how to melt metal down to bars, I could use the practice for when I have divine metal.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:02:27 am by Uzu Bash »

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #14346 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:46 am »

I'm an Elephant-man!

Problems: I have no enemies! I've killed everery criminal, bandit and nightcreature.
And I can't find more then one Titan. It's a giant, fire-breathing worm.

So find out, how the battle goes :)
The old apple revels in its authority.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: July 21, 2017, 03:28:36 am »

About the wereform (this description will probably resemble the werelizard I described long ago):

When I first transformed my strength cut in half to average human (1k), but potential max increased by 40% (2.8k). My base size increased by 1.1k, so my human clothes were too small for me even though I transformed to werekitten size, slightly less than human base and 2.1k less than my human form had developed to. Toughness and endurance also cut to about human average; toughness potential increased by 10% (to 2.2k) and endurance potential dropped slightly more (to 1.9k) My agility increased to slightly above my superhuman level, with max potential doubled (to 4.4k)

Feline forms gain enhanced sense of smell, scratch attacks from feet, the benefit of legendary climbing without preventing skill/attr development, and climb and crawl rates only 5-6% less than walking gait. They also preserve momentum when switching from climb or crawl to walk, so as soon as you're on your feet you can charge or leap at your full sprinting velocity. Like lizards but more furry and less scaly.

I dropped off unwearable and encumbering gear and left only with my quiver full of weapons, my waterskin full of river spirits, a spare empty backpack, any jewelry that werecats could wear, and masterwork adamantine cloth bandages wrapped around my hands (they do absolutely nothing. But look cool. YMMV) I didn't bring my shield because 10lbs was too heavy, and I refused to leave behind my 41lb bortu or 42lb platinum crutch! I set off crutching and sneaking and slow traveled almost the entire distance I went.

When I returned my strength was up to 1.6k and mass up to 9.1k, toughness and endurance up to 1.2-1.3k and agility up to 2.7k. I had picked up an iron shield to get that up to Legendary and to give the old man. I'd made leather armor and leggings in my size that turned out to fit my human form, and I had hauled back a lot of raw leather that I would've already been wearing had I known that. I spent the last hours from sundown to the end of the full moon composing music for forms that I didn't have the instruments for.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
Died after a long battle
« Reply #14348 on: July 21, 2017, 04:47:32 am »

I've killed the earthworm with a stab of my hellbard that bruised his brain. It was a really easy battle. He breathed fire,
but I deflected it with my shild while my companions hitted him with arrows. I walked still to the earthworm and attacked
 him with my hellbard until I've hitted his brain.

After the battle I've went to the next village and reported the death of the Titan. Yet I was a legendary hero.

I've looked around on my questlog, where I could find new enemies. In the north were two camps and two lairs. All about one day travel away. So I started walking.

The first camp was from some human bandits. I ambushed them and killed everybody. The second was from some kobolds. I was able to kill the most of them, but some escaped. So I walked a bit away and the survivors walked back
to the camp. Next step was to kill them.

After that I walked to the lairs . The first was a cyclope. I've throwed arrows at him. He fell down because an arrow hitted him in the leg. I walked to him and slashed him. He gave into pain. My companions and me attacked him a while. The cyclope survived really much. I severed his ears, the nose, tongue, some fingers and toes, the tooths and stabbed him in the neck.
Finally he bled to death.

In the last lair was a Hydra!
The Hydra attacked me and my companion with its seven heads(My other companion ran away ;D) .
Itwas a long fight. My friend had really long survived and bled to death. The Hydra hit me in the hand and I've lost my
hellbard. So I've attacked her with my hands and shild. I've damaged her really much but I lost.

Was a nice battle!
The old apple revels in its authority.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14349 on: July 21, 2017, 11:42:41 pm »

Most of the journey through tundra (The Frost of Couples) is 1 tile view range and looks a good deal like this:
Here, one is remind of the Song of the Swiss Guards, (1793) which starts Celine's Journey to the End of the Night: "Our life is a journey / Through winter and night. / We look for our way / In a sky without light."

So, naturally this part of the world is a heavy blanket of fog and it's snowing all the time. The only interruptions have been peregrine falcons and wolves. Three wolves after the first 5, toughness tiers to superdwarven. Bim also becomes slightly smarter as analytical ability (which started at low) has tiered to average due to all the tracking done since character creation. It's nice to know that during a slow travel only run, Bim's gone from dimwit to not so dimwitted. One wonders if he'll ever be bright (high analytical ability)? Time will tell.

The Frost of Couples eventually yields to the clearer, but rainy, green and grey The Swamp of Mists, where view range is often at 20 tiles due to inclement weather.
As Bim's been traveling within the same latitude band, the weasels and peregines and keas are out once again, and the world seems filled with groups of turkeys everywhere.

After a journey lasting close to 2 weeks, he reaches the town of Chancehail in the late morning.
Chancehail brackets the bottom rung of the same latitude band as Bim's home hillock Glazelisten, which occupies the top end, before tree types shift away from fruit like apple and plum to only bayberry and larch.
Bim spends the afternoon on the east side, looking for an abandoned house to occupy.
Since I'm managing the occurrence of events in the express emotions menu, Bim skips taverns as there, he might be buttonholed by someone's performance. There aren't any neutral reactions in game. It's either some degree of positive or negative. If Bim had been rolled without cheerfulness, he wouldn't feel anything upon seeing a performance. To me a neutral reaction would mean no event logs in the express emotions menu. Not sure why climbing a peak has no mention, but songs, dances, and stories always register. Chalk it all up to placeholdery-ness.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: July 22, 2017, 12:48:01 am »

There aren't any neutral reactions in game. It's either some degree of positive or negative.
My axegirl companion is a stoic, and when I give her any quality armor, naturally she equips it, then says, "I feel strongly ambivalent about this."

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14351 on: July 22, 2017, 12:58:19 am »

There aren't any neutral reactions in game. It's either some degree of positive or negative.
My axegirl companion is a stoic, and when I give her any quality armor, naturally she equips it, then says, "I feel strongly ambivalent about this."

That's her austerity, causing her negative reply. What seems odd is austerity is concerned more with craft and quality than excessive decoration. Should be the other way around IMO.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: July 22, 2017, 01:06:18 am »

Legendary dancer, still not good enough to become a performer for a lord at his mead hall... Dammit.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14353 on: July 22, 2017, 01:29:09 am »

Legendary dancer, still not good enough to become a performer for a lord at his mead hall... Dammit.
What ya gotta do is you gotta tell your lord about your previous dancings using the rumour thing.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: July 22, 2017, 02:43:35 am »

What ya gotta do is you gotta tell your lord about your previous dancings using the rumour thing.
Which is laggier, performing in a castle court or opening the rumours topic?

EDIT: Puttered around the mines, practicing smithery and bortu at the same time (start the performance then the job and both will complete,) and composing and performing in court until I finally got word that axegirl was on the move. Discovered more things here:

* This city won't get immigrants because the governing entity is tagged as a criminal group. I have no idea why that should be, because governments I established in camps aren't. It's probably due to the same oversight that prevented the city from being part of my civ, which it was before it was ruined.

* Impulse tracks and power works in adventurer mode this time! Your dream of building an amusement park can come true! I'll try a water reactor next; I'm sure it will work, but might also hit the site with lag. So far playing with hydrodynamics has bitten me in the ass.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:42:12 am by Uzu Bash »
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1103