Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2022359 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14385 on: August 03, 2017, 11:46:55 pm »

Rayguard is a city in decline. Many homes and shops are abandoned. The lairs of outcasts line its east side. Rayguard is also the home to innumerable cats, which are the most overpowered non-dangerous critters in game. No other creature can simply shift you one tile. In RL of course, they possess a similar skill, but it works quite differently.

If pathing issues (during slow travel) from any NPC in city/town threaten crashes, periodic offloads—when you make that jump into fast travel before returning to slow travel—are most welcome as they clear out the *meandering* non-historicals. Without resorting to DFhackery, the OP cats and directionally challenged merchants are gone. They've been teleported away. Their numbers haven't gone down, they're just somewhere. Elsewhere.

After an uneventful inactive temple crawl…
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...Bim heads toward Rayguard's keep. Perhaps vampire law-givers, while being naturally self-serving, might be better than their mortal counterparts? On the way, found in a lot populated with various domestic critter life, is the flying shadow freak mate wrestler, Struslot Catchaxes. The animals provide cover for arrows sent in greeting (poor sow); Struslot becomes strangely motionless, yet grounded in the sky.
She becomes active once again and Bim fires point blank adjacent tile shots.
Talented Dodger (+ Superdwarven Spatial/Kinesthetic) are what cause Struslot's failed attack rolls. Her roll-to-hit seldom succeeds (over 10% but less than 20% of the time—sample size is small, but you get the idea), triggering Bim's actual dodge (jump) away.

Bim watches with horror as she bleeds out.
So the progression from two stages of resilience "getting used to tragedy" and "is a hardened individual" is punctuated by the experience of horror, prior to eventually becoming dead inside "doesn't care about anything anymore". Narratively this works well—while I wasn't quite sure where Bim was headspace-wise (figured he was at the very least hardened as he's over 20 in wolf/moose/bear kills), I abided by Charles Bukowski's line that goes a bit like this: "it's better to choose your own time than to have it chosen for you." Due to fort mode's unfortunate pacing, "doesn't care about anything anymore" comes on a bit too fast and should arguably be triggered via *sentient only* death, and after say the deaths of 10+ sentients.

At Rayguard's keep, vampire law-giver Ado Grottohugs is nowhere to be found. Perhaps Ado's in a meadhall? Bim's beginning to not care about finding Ado Grottohugs anymore. But I guess the hidden history demands it.

Unhacker

• Bay Watcher
  • The Laziest bastard on the Internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14386 on: August 04, 2017, 08:08:33 am »

Whenever I find the hamlet, I'm confused if this is a bandit hamlet or just a friendly one. Welp, not going to be friendly for much longer.
It must be friendly when a bunch of friendly guys with weapons welcome you and gather around you to chat.

Like they were armed but for some reason they weren't attacking (I entered the biggest, most important looking building and talked to the first person I found). I asked about problems that they had and they said there was some incursions. These were incursions that I was *technically* responsible for, basically, it went like this: I went up to the armed guy on the road and went to attack him, but then it said that he was an ally, so I decided to not attack him, then my two companions decided to hope on that shit and to start impaling him. In other news my spear wielding companion has more kills than me, I keep forgetting to turn on sprint.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14387 on: August 04, 2017, 08:33:51 am »

Whenever I find the hamlet, I'm confused if this is a bandit hamlet or just a friendly one. Welp, not going to be friendly for much longer.
It must be friendly when a bunch of friendly guys with weapons welcome you and gather around you to chat.

Like they were armed but for some reason they weren't attacking (I entered the biggest, most important looking building and talked to the first person I found). I asked about problems that they had and they said there was some incursions. These were incursions that I was *technically* responsible for, basically, it went like this: I went up to the armed guy on the road and went to attack him, but then it said that he was an ally, so I decided to not attack him, then my two companions decided to hope on that shit and to start impaling him. In other news my spear wielding companion has more kills than me, I keep forgetting to turn on sprint.

"What? No, I don't want to kill you! But my friends do, so run."

Unhacker

• Bay Watcher
  • The Laziest bastard on the Internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14388 on: August 04, 2017, 10:12:52 am »

"What? No, I don't want to kill you! But my friends do, so run."
Basically. If memory serves, my spearman lost a foot or something so he should be slower. Should, serves the killstealing fucktard right.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:17:56 am by Unhacker »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14389 on: August 05, 2017, 10:46:21 pm »

I had to stop test piloting my carts after puncturing a lung. I learned that you can take collision damage from jumping from a cart, but I'm unsure of the conditions -- was it the 9 zlvl parabola or crashing through 3 levels of branches?

So now I spend my time melting down enough divine metal to forge armor for two werecats. In the nearby region I saw a migrant heading to the last town I revived from ruin; apparently this time the site group is included in my dwarven civ and not flagged a criminal group. So I'll take a day trip over there on the 1st, which is when worldgen updates with clusters of events. That leaves a week until next transformation. I'll find out whether my undead neutrality applies to my wereform.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14390 on: August 06, 2017, 12:01:41 am »

Learned if you're a necromancer you can play pokemon by throwing heads. Also learned dragon heads still can breathe fire when revived. Also learned fire hurts.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14391 on: August 06, 2017, 04:26:53 am »

This is the blistered metal currency of my people:

After finally melting down the last divine metal of a thorough vault clearing, I marked the occasion by minting a stack of commemorative collectors coins. 500 coins with the value of 300 coins. This is what our gods have wrought!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14392 on: August 06, 2017, 07:15:52 am »

Learned if you're a necromancer you can play pokemon by throwing heads. Also learned dragon heads still can breathe fire when revived. Also learned fire hurts.
I usually don't do this, but pics or it didn't happen. Zombies can't use interactions unless they're generated, like the ones in a necromancer's tower or megabeasts that start out zombified in worldgen.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14393 on: August 06, 2017, 07:19:14 am »

I usually don't do this, but pics or it didn't happen. Zombies can't use interactions unless they're generated, like the ones in a necromancer's tower or megabeasts that start out zombified in worldgen.

Well give me some time to go beat a necro tower+behead another dragon... That took a while to do both.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14394 on: August 06, 2017, 10:19:29 pm »

i did some hearthsperson quests as a peasant adventurer, and i killed an ettin (after it punched off my arm) and killed a giant cougar and wolf, im heading for a forest titan later and brought along 4 other dudes
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14395 on: August 06, 2017, 10:29:04 pm »

i did some hearthsperson quests as a peasant adventurer, and i killed an ettin (after it punched off my arm) and killed a giant cougar and wolf, im heading for a forest titan later and brought along 4 other dudes

Am I the only one who still cringes at the mental images put in one's head upon hearing the sentence "after it punched off my arm"?

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14396 on: August 06, 2017, 10:32:42 pm »

Am I the only one who still cringes at the mental images put in one's head upon hearing the sentence "after it punched off my arm"?
I like to pretend that people are like legos in dwarf fortress and anything that falls off arbitrarily just plops off easily
this explanation actually fits with the random generated horrors of this game
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14397 on: August 06, 2017, 10:34:43 pm »

I like to pretend that people are like legos in dwarf fortress and anything that falls off arbitrarily just plops off easily
this explanation actually fits with the random generated horrors of this game

When you say it like that it suddenly makes a lot of situations make a lot more sense. I don't know if that makes it less fun or not.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14398 on: August 07, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »

it punched off my arm
There's some wonky physics involved here. Punches do blunt damage, so this can't normally happen. However, if you get punched by something much bigger than you, the force twists limbs and joints. Twisting is edged damage, which CAN sever limbs. It is entirely possible to get punched in the finger so hard your hand flies off.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14399 on: August 07, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »

it punched off my arm
There's some wonky physics involved here. Punches do blunt damage, so this can't normally happen. However, if you get punched by something much bigger than you, the force twists limbs and joints. Twisting is edged damage, which CAN sever limbs. It is entirely possible to get punched in the finger so hard your hand flies off.

I won't argue because it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress with punches knocking off limbs.
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1104