Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995258 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14430 on: August 11, 2017, 04:15:10 pm »

You can modify the attack to make it have a larger contact area, preventing the frequent severing of limbs (if you want). Or make it not an edge attack, if that's the case.

I'm all for OP creature modding, though. Go for it.
I'll make an OP version of the mod when it's done, just for you :P For now, I want to keep the stats human-like. The main reason I am making this mod is because regular animal people inherit their sizes from their respective creature, which can work both ways -- but I think it's more play-balanced if the creatures were scaled to a human-like level.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: August 12, 2017, 03:01:55 pm »

Prior to setting out west, Bim returns the <<iron scimitar>>, <<-iron javelin->> and the *large iron knife* to Rayguard's dungeon, The Purple Gloom. It doesn't make much RP sense for an austere character to carry items with decoration or quality, when iron generics will do.

The Kingdom of Day seems to spread out west and possibly north. The meadhall circuit around Rayguard is ruled by human lords and ladies. The towns, though, have been diverse, sometimes with goblin rulership. Dwarves and elves are rarely about. And there is only one vampire, but she was not law-giver Ado Grottohugs. Suitably enough, she lived in solitude.

There are night troll lairs dotting the landscape, and plenty of night troll encounters signified by motionless asterisks in areas that smell of death. Bim's path intersects with theirs on two separate occasions.

On an early morning, Bim tracks Oce Ghostburial the Ash of Fate back to its lair after a short chase. His first short sword swing spills its guts, which is a fatal blow similar to a major artery rupture. His second shot grounds it to remove its charge attack, and from there on out Bim's only combat action is to manually shield block. Just out of curiosity I wondered how long it'd take before bleed out. Bim's shield user was a few blocks below proficient and by the end had reached halfway between talented and adept. So it took quite a while. Oce was a true night troll. His corpse weighs a sorta light 88r compared to the converted spouse encountered in Rayguard who weighed 51r.

The second is westward, toward the end of the same day. Anan the Crypts of Oblivion remains in the open. Anan's on the same z-level, 24 tiles away, inside that oblivious 21-25 pocket where NPCs remain inert, meaning Bim can pincushion without needing to mark distance and measure shot per tiles moved by the NPC. 9 steel arrows later, Anan is shot through the heart and leaves a 98r corpse. Had Anan been 20 tiles/under Bim would have had around 2-3 shots before either switching to melee or being willing to Legolas a few shots. With a true night troll, the conservative approach would be not to spam freely unless your character is, as mikekchar would put it, bogeymen strong. Bim's dodger is only at adept. Definitely not bogeyman strong dodger. Just converted spouse strong.

Boyd the Reaver

• Bay Watcher
  • AXE TO FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: August 12, 2017, 05:53:12 pm »

Just started an adventure a few minutes ago as a Polar Bear Man. I somewhat shamefully admit that I cheat a little to maximize enjoyment for me, but he's already an Adamantine-clad badass. Planning to murderfuck a few dragons.

THIS IS FOR CAUSING GLOBAL WARMING, YOU SCALY BASTARDS
Mah Boyd, this peace is what ALL true Reavers' strive for!
A Fire Emblem fan and newbie

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: August 13, 2017, 12:19:48 am »

I just raided an ettin's lair and killed it with nary a scratch.
Literally. The beast didn't get even one hit on me.
I am now on High Strength & Agility. I just picked the ettin's corpse up and put it into my backpack; I have so much stuff in my backpack that adding another giant corpse does almost nothing. I should really build a camp so I have somewhere to put all this....
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: August 14, 2017, 04:56:10 am »

Bad news for werebite subjects; agelessness isn't passed along with the curse. You only get that as a gift from the gods for brazenly disrespecting them. And due to a bug that sets back werebeings' birth age, axegirl may suffer severe stat penalties or total existence failure on her next birthday. I hesitate to fix it with dfhack until I can confirm the cause and whether it was legitimately intended.

I've finally reached Grand Master Musician, Master in Stringed Instruments and my bortu, within my first year of adventure! Dare ye not call me mere 'lord': 
Of course I'd already mastered percussive use of it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With 3 1/2 months left, I doubt I'll make it to Legendary by the end of the year. I hope that Master is enough to invent new forms for the bortu, but I doubt it. Finally surpassing axegirl in my instrument of choice is pretty satisfying, though.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: August 14, 2017, 10:03:43 am »

Just spent several hours genning 500 (edit: fix typo) years of a medium-sized world to see how my race behaves in later worldgen. One of the first things I saw was that a bronze colossus was actually killed, which I'd never before seen being done by worldgen actors.

So I inspected the colossus and saw something even better: It had 72 kills, and was fought by several hundred more people (most of which escaped, hence the relatively low kill count), and days after the last elf decided to give it a shot (and was killed), a gigantic panda went ahead and killed the colossus.

He did have something interesting in the sense that I was looking for (namely bugs), though; in its unnotable kill list sits three entries for Fox people. 4 foxes (male), 4 foxes (male), and 1 fox (female), all in the same site. This issue is also present with elves, of which he has killed 4 males, 3 females, and 2 males in the same site. I'd understand this if it were in a different site, but it's the same one.

Edit: This issue is present with multiple races in multiple megabeasts. Is this a known issue?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:44:07 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: August 14, 2017, 11:38:01 am »

I just raided an ettin's lair and killed it with nary a scratch.
Literally. The beast didn't get even one hit on me.
I am now on High Strength & Agility. I just picked the ettin's corpse up and put it into my backpack; I have so much stuff in my backpack that adding another giant corpse does almost nothing. I should really build a camp so I have somewhere to put all this....

You should use the backpack as a club... maybe you can one shot something with it.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:55 pm »

In one of the worlds I have generated to research the behavior of my race something bad has happened: Very early in worldgen, the roc Ramac Aperags has single-handedly wiped out the entire Foxen race!

Currently looking into ways to spawn the avatars of the ten most prominent Foxen dieties to kill it.

Quote from: Soon
This is my fight too. I will have my revenge!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: August 15, 2017, 06:38:58 pm »

Before shoving off this camp, I transcribed 42 unpublished transcriptions and used up the last of my quires writing autobiograhies, which kept getting longer and longer. At least the writing was entertaining, even if the chronicles were some trivial crap.

But this was what kept me at the camp for so long, in construction, in testing, in convalescence from failed testing, in reconstruction -- this is my crowning achievement:
https://youtu.be/ceSCOlg_eyE

I swear my next track will be underground. Probably under glacier where I'm headed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: August 15, 2017, 07:38:58 pm »

Just spent several hours genning 500 (edit: fix typo) years of a medium-sized world to see how my race behaves in later worldgen. One of the first things I saw was that a bronze colossus was actually killed, which I'd never before seen being done by worldgen actors.

So I inspected the colossus and saw something even better: It had 72 kills, and was fought by several hundred more people (most of which escaped, hence the relatively low kill count), and days after the last elf decided to give it a shot (and was killed), a gigantic panda went ahead and killed the colossus.
That happens fairly often, it seems to be a case of 2000 wooden arrows followed by a final punch from (strongest creature present) - which in the case of elves is usually a giant creature or an elephant.

I once had a world in which a dwarf killed a bronze colossus in a dual. Pump operator for 75 years. Gave up one day to live in the wilderness. Spent another 20 years in the wilderness, meditating or something, before emerging to kill the bronze colossus. His one and only kill. Then he went home to his long-suffering wife and died of old age a few years later.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:40:31 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14440 on: August 15, 2017, 08:12:52 pm »

While wandering this western peninsula, Bim's 4 units of food a day is carp meat/organs and lettuce leaves for 4-5 eating cycles. A very clean diet. No carbs without fiber. A single, diurnal, protein induced, insulin spike.
Of interest in this region is Rhymingmouth, a human town.

Its ruined temple is remarkable for its slim design.
Like other structures with treasure rooms assigned to subterranean motley crews, catacombs Frigidpit is led by a weaponmaster level NPC. In all cases, these NPCs are not bandits as Bim never greets them with a "I have nothing for you." These chiefs/chieftesses are affable. The only hostilities stem from random goblin bandits located far from these rooms filled with coffers, chests, and bags.

For the trip north, after some crab hunting, Bim traces the coast as he swims the warm Taupe Sea with the aim of tiering from great to Legendary+ swimmer. This is less to hit legendary, than to improve another movement speed activity (might as well be well-rounded athletically), and work the attributes involved. He'll get less attribute development for his time as this is mostly standard swimming. There's little breath holding (temp drowning) involved, until the very end just to cap off.

When he hits land, he's greeted by two bandit-harassed hamlets. Prior to this, Bim had avoided taking goblin life. They were either in camps or dungeons "minding their own business." Here, they were causing harm and could not be dissuaded. While it is possible to drive bandits away via beating, Bim took these two encounters as an opportunity to master the bow.
Aside from strength, he's pretty much reached his end game attributes. Leveling attributes mostly through bizarre travel (crutch-walker + ambusher + tracker + swimmer) is vaguely fitting for a ranger-oriented character, despite travel having no stat or game-play requirements. But then not even the pen and paper D&D offers granular exploration of movement over varied terrain as a form of character/player performance. It's where the slider veers more toward simulation than game. Thus far, this has been more of a ranger's run than any other I've tried. The others were really more mobile firing platform mixed with melee, unimaginatively enough. I'd probably say mikekchar's posts got me thinking more about DF adventure mode as less monster bucket list and more character immersion.

Bim still has more road to travel, but he's definitely not going to bother gaming/prepping for any demon. It's the same prep you'd do if you presumed a ruined fortress had a forgotten beast in a hidden history world. If you plan for tail events, you plan for inorganic webber, and game out the conditions/requirements accordingly. Sadly, none of that's archer-rangery. It's all L+ pick-whip-axe, just to cover all your bases.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: August 16, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »

iya, lost track of the date before leaving the last city for savage lands, and didn't realize until a little before dawn that it was the 6th of Moonstone. I estimated I had only until noon to find a place for the transformation and another place to leave the vampire and new spearman recruit. At least I was right about that; I had dropped off the companions at a drinking mound and had almost returned to a half-cleared goblin camp to stash my gear when noon struck and the axegirl and I got furry together.

Fuck, I barely know what to do with my 1.75 days. All I can think of is prowling the boringly haunted lands nearby for undead ravens to peck at.

EDIT: It occurred to me that hordes of low savagery undead wildlife would be just the thing to develop axegirl. Her swing is so powerful that she's rarely needed defense against single targets, but she always gets wrecked in a brawl with muggers or an ambush with pack predators. So I took away her axe and merched her pitilessly through haunted lands, pacing circles around her on my crutches and shouting obscene and demeaning encouragements like some asshole drill sergeant. I intervened with the boars a bit because they were persistent enough with their hooves that, given too much opportunity, they could cave her head in. They were great training for myself, as well.

After 24 hours, she achieved Legendary+ in armor, shield and dodge, and Superhuman physical attributes. Her list of scars is so long it's comical:

After that I decided not to risk accumulating any more skull dentage and marched back to practice dancing instead.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:45:01 pm by Uzu Bash »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14442 on: August 18, 2017, 05:23:12 pm »

Morning starts with a river crossing and a visual of a sturgeon's pathing failure. Its vision arc exits the river as Bim wades in from the south.

Late afternoon, heading north/northeast in bad weather. In rain, view range is limited to 20 tiles. Bim's greeted by the smell of death, so he periscopes into fast travel mode for a check: eastward is an asterisk. He doesn't need to travel out of his way to approach from upwind (I don't think there's a benefit to upwind approach or a penalty to downwind, but it seems in character, though this Bim hasn't always been consistent with his approach).

Long distance volleying is a clear weather activity where view range is the full 25 tiles and the "inactive" target is kept in that 21-to-25 tile pocket. Medium distance bow/xbow work I'd bracket at under 20 tiles, but 15 or over. Since he has 20 distance at most, Bim drives whatever forest critters he can in the direction of the night troll to flush it out into the open.
It muddies up the tile range sometimes for the good, and sometimes not. The result is middling: Lomifo Tunnelurn the shadow freak wrestler starts at 15 tiles out.

Bim fires a starting shot to mark tile distance moved, but because of the turkeys, Lomifo moves to the 16 tile mark with a NE heading, seeking a turkey that's a bit too quick.
This first copper arrow is discounted as it not only does negligible damage (no grounding, no mortal wound), but more importantly, Lomifo has not advanced.

With the turkeys gone, the second arrow will mark distance moved. Lomifo advances 7 tiles before being grounded and is now 9 tiles out.
Bim fires a third arrow and Lomifo not only advances the 9 tiles, but also attacks Bim 4 times.

At medium distance, a ranged character has 1-3 shots before distance is closed and must defend. The number depends on how many tiles the NPC advances during the first shot. If grounding occurs early enough, you could get 3, but usually its 2 shots and this is at legendary archer/bowdwarf.

Before switching to melee, Bim Legolases a final shot and is missed 7 times, but needs to make a successful defensive roll 4 times even with expert dodger and the bonuses from Focused!/superdwrvn-spatial/superdwrvn-kinesthetic.
Presuming a legendary archer/bowdwarf, whose dodge could cause attack roll-to-hit failure, the number of unanswered attacks should be closer to 8, but those 6 tick dodges (you jump away) open quite a door.

Dual-wielding short sword and knife, Bim finishes with pommel shots. The Water 7 Sanji frowns, but it's the easiest way to get more edge work in. Sword and knife stats barely move.
Trip continues north in the rain. New hamlets come into view. Ah, the Kingdom of Day...

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: August 18, 2017, 07:21:39 pm »

I'm pretty much a total newbie, so I decided to make my character buff walrus woman with good skills and swimming wrestling and discerning character, however having a little knowledge of James actual controls and still being somewhat confused after reading over the hot keys I found myself in the middle of a forest,  talking to one of the most unhelpful elves I've ever seen seem to informing me that the world seem to be filled with all sorts of horrible monsters many of whom seem to of racked up titles by presumably murdering there way through the countryside.

I'm considering bailing and starting over :-/.

Or perhaps finding one of these beasties and letting myself become a tasty treat so that legends mode could tell me how the world got so bad.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14444 on: August 19, 2017, 05:08:45 pm »

Not 3 days from the full moon, I lost use of an arm and a leg. Some gobbo raider caught me napping in a tree while my companions were off slaying the rest of his gang. I grabbed him by the neck and threw him out of the tree, then my spearman showed up and finished him off before I could (So good of you to do your fucking job, asshole!)

Instead of slowing me down, I'm picking up the pace for the final leg of this expedition because 1) I hate arctic biomes 2) I had to retire my vampire champion because she also lost an arm and a leg (still got one good arm to win throwing competitions with!) 3) I left my adamantine anvil back at werebeast camp and 4) my next expedition will be through a nice variety of civilization to a new type of vault.

I've already cleared the vault, collecting all Minion of Death skins and crescent great axes (best weight:melt efficiency ratio.) Now I go introduce myself to the boiling demoness of The Rare Seduction (lag willing.)

EDIT: That went well:
Legendary Melee, Grandmaster of all unarmed skills, terrible agility (~800.)  Kaiju-class size:
To put that in perspective, the average human's base height (length) is ~400.

EDIT: I'm pleased to report that demon companions are much more manageable this version. They aren't instantly hostile to everything, but they are LARGE_PREDATORs who are relatively larger than everything, and they have the goblin ethics. She can behave herself in civilization, at least while under party command. f I leave her in a tavern zone she'll make herself at home, but at home she likes to KILL:NEUTRAL. If it's just two of us and I drop her off she doesn't turn on me, possibly because we've acquired (Friendly) relationship, but that bears further testing. When I took a 2 week retirement, she made a new home at the city (in the seat of power, ominously) but didn't attack or murder anyone over that time, and I collected her without incident when I came into range of her.

The next demon master I visit will be a raccoon devil of death and murder, and I'm going to try to become a member of his civ before meeting him, then try to convince him to hand over civ possession.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:51:02 am by Uzu Bash »
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1103