Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995043 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14505 on: September 17, 2017, 07:13:50 am »

Come in tomb with two companions for easy kill
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: September 17, 2017, 07:17:56 pm »

I have met all my objectives with 3 days left to the full moon and I'm unsure what to do with myself until then.

* I made a complete set of shining plate armor! Yes, the angels of depravity wear metal of the sphere of light. This can't be good for my stealth. Does it help me see further in the dark? Nope, but it does give me the ability to read at night, or if it would if it weren't for the damn shining helm.
* I reached Legendary Rank in bortu and stringed instruments! Now to get my singing up to par.
* I built and staffed a full tavern in one corner of the camp, and small manor in the lair area just beyond.
* And I completed a high speed underground shuttle across 3 region tiles:

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: September 17, 2017, 07:54:31 pm »

I have met all my objectives with 3 days left to the full moon and I'm unsure what to do with myself until then.

* I made a complete set of shining plate armor! Yes, the angels of depravity wear metal of the sphere of light. This can't be good for my stealth. Does it help me see further in the dark? Nope, but it does give me the ability to read at night, or if it would if it weren't for the damn shining helm.
* I reached Legendary Rank in bortu and stringed instruments! Now to get my singing up to par.
* I built and staffed a full tavern in one corner of the camp, and small manor in the lair area just beyond.
* And I completed a high speed underground shuttle across 3 region tiles:
Is it high-speed if it makes all those loops?
Signature? I hardly know 'er.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: September 17, 2017, 08:14:21 pm »

If I wanted a practical braking loop rather than a visually interesting one, it would have a smaller footprint and connect to a track with another destination. But that won't be the subject of animated gifs.

EDIT: I found that after bringing stored fat down to 0, mass continues to decrease and speed increase. I'm not losing any physical stats or relative sizes of any layers, so it must be coming off of total mass, which would proportionately reduce all layers (including bone.) What I'm doing could be construed as an exploit, but the same thing could be achieved with bulimia.

This is no doubt sacrificing wrestling and charging advantage, but someone who wanted to take this to a greater extreme could reduce mass to elven size, and at the rate I'm gaining speed, would probably be faster than an elf of equal size. That's assuming this doesn't kill you.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:19:44 am by Uzu Bash »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:56 pm »

EDIT: I found that after bringing stored fat down to 0, mass continues to decrease and speed increase. I'm not losing any physical stats or relative sizes of any layers, so it must be coming off of total mass, which would proportionately reduce all layers (including bone.) What I'm doing could be construed as an exploit, but the same thing could be achieved with bulimia.

This is no doubt sacrificing wrestling and charging advantage, but someone who wanted to take this to a greater extreme could reduce mass to elven size, and at the rate I'm gaining speed, would probably be faster than an elf of equal size. That's assuming this doesn't kill you.

How are you dropping fat% for your character?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: September 19, 2017, 05:40:22 am »

I explained that above; run everywhere in local travel and offload the map only after taking in food content.

Here's some supporting details: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Uzu_Bash#Food.2C_energy.2C_fat

EDIT: In a city tavern nearby I met a goblin who had difficulty breathing, most likely due to loss of his entire neck and head. He was only as tall as his shoulders, but he was able to return my greeting. He suffocated while I was telling him the story of how a giant ripped off his neck 600 years ago, so he never got the news about it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:17:55 am by Uzu Bash »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: September 19, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »

I explained that above; run everywhere in local travel and offload the map only after taking in food content.

Here's some supporting details: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Uzu_Bash#Food.2C_energy.2C_fat

Not sure which post you referenced as above, though going back it looked like this was the first mention. The !!science!! you've collected on the DF wiki is great :)

An imprecise non-DFHack comparison: Bim's Adv Mode run has been all local travel with some site offloads to clear the non-historicals causing town/wilderness lag. For the most part he's been doing something similar. He ambush-runs everywhere in local travel while under 1st stage hunger, and he has a circadian rhythm that gets him to 2nd stage hunger and 1st stage drowsiness before consuming 4 units of food. Sleep for 8hrs/til dawn is the offload. Each day is rinse/repeat.

It would seem that your character's food unit consumption is differently allotted.

Hard to tell fat % w/o DFHack, but Bim's description contained a build indicator and up until recently, he's had a build that has almost no fat on it, before the change to stout and very muscular. He started with above avg STR/above avg AGI.

Next run's character will likely be plain avg STR/above avg AGI just to skew away from the higher strength cap and extra meat.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: September 19, 2017, 08:31:24 pm »

I didn't start local traveling until I hit the dwarven road, and I felt that the journey was wasted if I wasn't 'in the environment' for it. Axegirl got her foot clawed off shortly after we emerged from that, so in order to take advantage of her crutches to train her agility and endurance, I continued local travel. Other than to navigate cities, I've run in local ever since.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: September 20, 2017, 12:31:36 am »

I didn't start local traveling until I hit the dwarven road, and I felt that the journey was wasted if I wasn't 'in the environment' for it. Axegirl got her foot clawed off shortly after we emerged from that, so in order to take advantage of her crutches to train her agility and endurance, I continued local travel. Other than to navigate cities, I've run in local ever since.

For some reason I thought you had local/slow traveled most of the run. Definitely slows down the rate at which a character does anything.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: September 20, 2017, 08:16:06 am »

It is stretching out the end of the year, and though the days are longer they're a lot more filled with activity because I'm covering so much more ground than fast travel rate would. I can never quite estimate just how far I can go; circumnavigating this area only took 4 days even though I stopped to claim a city at one corner, raided a vault at another, and explored an ettin-filled cavern at another. I got back to home base with many days to spare until the last moon of the year.

As laggy and huge as the nearby city is, I ran all over it lifting instruments and recruiting performers but still made it back in half a day. After trying out all the instruments myself, I deposited them in a built chest in the tavern and left everyone there to go tinker with some shit or other (I've done so much I can't keep track of it all.) When I came back I found that two of them had picked out instruments for a performance, and were hauling and playing it. They didn't put them back afterward, and after offloading the map, they went back to vocally simulating the instruments they were still hauling.

More testing with zones showed that characters will meet their Pray/Meditate needs if left in a temple zone dedicated to their deity. Toppling a statue built in the zone also incurs the wrath of that deity. No one will pray in a non-denominational temple zone, and no deity cares if you vandalize the statues. Layering temple zones to various deities unfortunately doesn't meet the needs of those difficult bastards who have five gods to pray to; only the first location of it's type will be active. A temple zone layered on a tavern zone is active, but tavern performances will supersede and interrupt any divine communion.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: September 21, 2017, 02:09:46 am »

Things were going pretty well, I'd just survived my second Giant Alligator Recruit attack and started learning to crutch-walk. I used the new glory to recruit some more companions... And now they've fallen to infighting. Two dead already. Who the hell does Catet think she is, beating up her friends?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: September 21, 2017, 07:22:20 am »

What i discovered in last adventure
1. Bone twisting can get pretty ridiculous. If something can hit single finger with force like that, description should say " becomes cloud of bloody mist!", not this:
And it's not even superior strenght. I didn't saved a screen, but i get simillar results with striking toe from behind with pommel of starting dagger.
2. Werecreatures are pushovers. Peasants with knives get "many nerves has been severed" attacks pretty frequently, and put bleeding on me with pretty much every attack. I survived my spreading of blessing of goddess of nature only because i quickly bit everyone in hands and ran away. And savescumming, of course.
3. Regen rate of werecreatures are even crazier than simple adventurer one. Going from Bleeding! and Faint to Ok in matter of 15 steps is just stupid.
4. Pale and Faint doesn't actually show how much blood left in you. If you get Bleeding! and regenned from it 6 times in a row, on 7 you can suddenly drop dead with mere Bleeding, without any Pale or Faint.
5. People in town don't like very much if their lord is werecreature, even if half of them are werecreatures too. Probably something to do with the fact that lord and major priests is werehedgehogs,
 and bigger part of "people" is werebadgers. I overheard first someone talking about insurrection against Past Counsil(Fitting name!  ;D ), then, few hours after it, that Past Counsil lose control on town after insurrection. Fake edit - then i heard that insurrection is still going  on. Turned out to be this

"In the 218 Past Consils get overthrown in insurrection
In 218 beggined insurrection against Past Counsil"
In that order. No entry for beginning of first insurrection.
6. I can talk with werecreatureds of my own kind. Fact A - They still tell me that i'm murderer and killer. and. Fact B - They tell me that i'm their priest. If turning human town in werevbadgers and a bit of werehedgehogs town doen't mean depopulating it, my character going to have fun.
7. Just this. See anything wrong?  ::)
8. You sometimes can say to NPC something like that: "You are thuggish. You bullied *name* " What causes this?

Infected everyone i can infect with badger, sleeped two days for moon to pass, walked to the castle.
There are impressive pile of corpses here.
Lord, despite all odds, still alive and even gained a title. There are wrestler with him, titled too, both from killing people in wereform. Everyone accuses me of killing Hok Leadbridle, despite me killing many more people, and Hok being absolutely mediocre hearth-woman. Insurrection still going on in dwarf fortress fashion "everyone killing each other" not "peasants killing lord"

Retired, made frotress, unretired. Insuurrection "ended with disappearance of rebelling population" and  everyone including lord forgot that i'm murderer and killer. Hmn... What will happen if i ask about Hok?
The hell!?  :o
Asked people outside of castle - they too say that she is their neighbour. Gone to other side of the town
 - same thing. No wonder they don't hate me anymore. Only person that i killed and everyone hated me for this (i killed 7 other people, but no one accused me of killing them) come from the dead in a form of imaginary neighbour. In legends she is still labeled as dead. Someone knows what's going on?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:42:25 am by MCreeper »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: September 21, 2017, 01:15:15 pm »

MCreeper... I feel like this post could fit just as well in the suggestion thread xD

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: September 21, 2017, 01:25:53 pm »

What? Why?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: September 21, 2017, 01:32:21 pm »

What? Why?

It's not a complaint. I'm just saying you probably pointed out almost half the issues with adventure mode and combat in general in DF.
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1103