Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2018753 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14745 on: November 29, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »

You had 2 demons hunting/following you ?
That sounds really interesting to keep player on his toes instead of the usual bandit following but being too terrified to actually attack unless you are using a peasant build.

I don't remember having an ambush that featured at least a demon, even in pre-df2014 versions.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14746 on: November 29, 2017, 08:53:59 pm »

Was checking my disapointing dark fortress expedition in the legends mode and noticed this

Those guys at the "Terror of Battle" group must be made of the most gullible people on the whole world for this to even work, i nearly regret one of my character having slain their elf lord in the dark fortress :D
Obvious bug aside, I thought that agents weren't able to impersonate other races. What gives?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: November 29, 2017, 09:41:54 pm »

You had 2 demons hunting/following you ?
That sounds really interesting to keep player on his toes instead of the usual bandit following but being too terrified to actually attack unless you are using a peasant build.

I don't remember having an ambush that featured at least a demon, even in pre-df2014 versions.
I remember getting demon encounters during df2014, but I think the difference is one of those times I just played a fortress guard and hang out at the mountain home for most of the game til seeing my first demon for that adventurer, and the second time I was building a micro bunker for trying to stop ambushes.
So the game seems to do the opposite of what you want, wanting blood and murder, gets you passive folks, wanting a chill adventure with folks not hurting you gets you demons and night trolls... on top of passive folks.

like I was trying to fill up a camp site with water so I could make a boat embark when the demon attacked.
I'm half way expecting a demon to attack me if/ when toady adds adventurer farming and my character wakes up from their bed to be ambushed by a demon, all for trying to wait out the growth timer.

I haven't dive into identities as I don't know how good those are at preventing folks from hurting you, like goblins with the hostile towards neutral might work as if proven your with their civ they don't bat an eye, now I wonder if it possible to make a civ that is hostile to their own kind and everyone has to make up an identity of someone just to avoid getting killed?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14748 on: November 30, 2017, 03:25:58 am »

Recruited an elf with a story and tossed him into a volcano. This will be my adventurer's mission. To throw people into lava.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14749 on: November 30, 2017, 04:32:52 am »

I play a 43.05 world for more than a real time year now, got quite attached to it. Sixteenish or so adventurers plus four forts make 30 years of ingame history now. It's a large world (masochist me) with MBs set for large quantity and we're already 10 years into brand new Year of Legends. Mostly hanging around till ver 44.xx becomes playable (linux gamer here).

And I've got some means of hanging around. Elderly (60+) titanslaying eagle woman who lives in her own camp on a seashore, surrounded by grandchildren of her companions (as close as I could get her to her hopeless goal of raising a family), who would like to see the fortress of Claspcurled, where she once lived, before she dies. The fortress was conquered by humans, purged and reclaimed and retired by then. They breached the hfs, contained it and sealed it. I've got human vampire necro retired for 10 years now in a camp under the ocean with backpacks full of autobiographies and candy tools of torture borrowed from two of my forts. He'd like to turn them back. The weapon naming feature would be so handy with it, but I gues he'll have to wait. But my current adventurer might be the most interesting yet.

Right now he gathered quite an army with quite badass core members and leads them on a nearby dark tower, where one-eyed yellow-green fiend lurks and cowardly sends army after army to crush his civ, the Confederacy of Fealty, and all her allies.

How did he get here? When spawned in quite ruined, but still operating city of the Confederacy, he was presented with the vault quest. He's a human demigod, large for his species, and now he is known as Captain Bugi the Cursed, the Calm Glacier of (something). The Soon-to-be legendary hero, realising that the vault everybody was so suddenly talking about was about all the world away, decided to focus on local tasks from his liege. Well, ok, while the first task was about minotaur, the second was rather mean: take care of a nearby bronze colossus. Mighty as Bugi was, he was yet still lucky: in the town he began his adventures in he met one of the Founding Dwarves of one of Four Legendary Forts of the World, visiting there as a scholar in the town's library. I really enjoy the game for meetings like this. Bugi enjoyed even more, as the dwarf Bim was all steel-clad. Thanks to Bugi's might and Bim's 'magic metal' armor and axe they not only defeated the colossus, but also subdued all local banditry and made them pay tribute to their lord. The climax of those missions (Bugi by now was a commander of neat 12 soldier squad of resocialized bandits, the Dirty Dozen would they be called elsewhere) was surely when they contained a rebellion against their liege-lord which erupted when the lord told them to subdue the town's criminals. These were the good times.

Finally, the lord, having all his nearby region secured under his command, decided to send Bugi and his Dozen into one of the goblins' dark pits, to send them a message that they won't get us too easy.

Well, Bugi wasn't very good at messages. Maybe when the message was delivered, there was noone left to tell the tale (why yes, the working pit of the gobbo settlement was a steaming heap of gore, bodyparts and blood laced with water, water, water, vomit and water when the Dozen, now sadly reduced to the Ten with Three Lamed for Life, finished what they considered their job), maybe it was one of those 'Bugi' ways the world around Bugi sometimes went, but when all was said and done and there was even a human at the charge of the pit now, the lord still didn't concider the task done.

Bugi decided then and there that it was no time to play games of messages and diplomacy. The strike must be delivered at the heart of the evil war machine. He could called the Cursed right now abd then. The three crutch-walkers were left at the perimeter of the dark tower, where the patrols of brain-washed former prisoner were taken by surprise and eradicated. The Magnificent Seven came into the towering shadow of slate. Only Bugi came back, leaning on a crutch himself, scarred both on body and on mind, when his companions and prisoners he made free and armed died one by one in the shadowy corridors by beak, horn, tusk and their own socks. The companion he was most fond of, woman called Arat the Beloved, only two years younger than him, with whom he had many value-changing (mutually) dialogues by campfire and while waiting with their crossbows in ambush, and in taverns and in the castle halls - died unconcious, bleeding out while he desperately defended her from wave upon wave of trolls and beak dogs. He only told it to Bim later. Bim was one of the crutch-walkers. Bim replied 'Arat the Beloved is finally dead. I guess it might be cinsidered grimly satisfying.' Bugi will never understand dwarves.

Bugi, after few days of aimlessly roaming the jungle, pain buried deep inside him but burning, decided to take a break. He came with Bim to capital hamlet of a neighbouring civ, the Kingdom of Assault. The kingdom lost all of its cities and most of its hamlets to dragons, hydras and elves in the early history of the world, so it was named justly. What's more, their current law-giver appeared to be also a slave of Bugi's civ. Baffled, Bugi agreed to help the poor, old Slave-King. He asked him where he wanted to go. The newly emacipated law-giver said his niece was living in Castle the Horn-Pass.

Bim's grin wided at the name of the fortress he himself was building fundaments of 14 years earlier. There was no second thought to it. Five of them, Bugi, Bim, Dik the law-giver and two of his hearthpeople willing to go with us will visit the fortress of legends!

to be continued, the wall of text is large enough for this time ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:49:48 am by blister_pack »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14750 on: November 30, 2017, 05:00:33 am »

Linux version is already playable. The link is in the delay thread.

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14751 on: November 30, 2017, 05:47:43 am »

Thanks for your kind info, last time I checked it still wasn't there :)

Alas, this ver is rather testable than playable, not with the identity bug which dissalows anyone to acknowledge anything anyone did. And most definitely not with missing keybindings for new civ screen in linux version :) The issues with raids also will have to go before I decide to migrate my beloved Osaonra to the new release :) I mean even in 43.05 I could fill entire thread with all the instances I got a segfault in my face.

Still, I've got windows backup laptop and couple of smaller newer worlds to play with until the big one is ready to go on.

btw, wouldn't it be nice if we had something like 44.005 or rather 43.99 version with only the adventurer stuf naming addition without all brand new bugs?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: November 30, 2017, 05:54:03 am »

Thanks for your kind info, last time I checked it still wasn't there :)

Alas, this ver is rather testable than playable, not with the identity bug which dissalows anyone to acknowledge anything anyone did. And most definitely not with missing keybindings for new civ screen in linux version :) The issues with raids also will have to go before I decide to migrate my beloved Osaonra to the new release :) I mean even in 43.05 I could fill entire thread with all the instances I got a segfault in my face.

Still, I've got windows backup laptop and couple of smaller newer worlds to play with until the big one is ready to go on.

btw, wouldn't it be nice if we had something like 44.005 or rather 43.99 version with only the adventurer stuf naming addition without all brand new bugs?

I think Toady's (weird) design philosophy recommends against this.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: November 30, 2017, 02:12:34 pm »

With new version out I decided to try adventuring again. Created a dwarf, decided to first go scouting around nearby necromancer tower, and to my surprise I found out I could clear it out right away. Armed with secrets of life and death I raided few Dark Pits for zombie material and ended up with an army of over hundred goblin and troll zombies. With my horde I decided to visit the Vault I had stumbled upon on the way and simply walked over all the guardians to the slab. Unfortunately the demon bound to the slab was murdered twenty years ago by a Human farmer, so I can't quite finish this perfect run.

Now what? Is it just me but does adventure mode seem a lot... less deadly in this version? I clearly remember the countless times I got my spleen handed on a platter by the first critter I encountered in earlier versions.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14754 on: November 30, 2017, 03:41:42 pm »

Odd, I've been having a harder time lately, getting cut in half and spattered and knocked into rivers and peppered with arrows. I even got gelded one time via dragon scratch.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: November 30, 2017, 03:56:40 pm »

That is hilarious.

"How did it happen?"
".....you don't want to know."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14756 on: November 30, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »

Finally after the disapointement of the passive trolls from the dark fortress , as performance was very surprisingly good i decided to explore the depths of it.

Freed 6 elven kids from the gob filth jails, easy as none is hostile in that place and none try to stop you.

Then decided to get back to my lord meadhall with the kids, and wow, while performance had been as said surprisingly good, at some point of my extremely annoying attempts to find my way in the whole gob site, i ran into a point in which said performance became atrocious, maybe a step after 10 seconds of waiting after pressing a move key.

It took me several long , boring ,uneventful time to finally reach a point of those horrible to navigate (especially when you lead people out,  if you jump into a location to gain time in which those npc can't find an entrance, you lose them) in which performance went back to normal.
Looks like the same problems that have plagued gob sites are still there in 44.02

Anyways, finally reached the meadhall

(on some pedestal i put skulls of various big targets like the damned gob that was ruling the enslaved hamlet there before and that got a fitting end from my previous character that is now the new lord, a Roc and several night creatures)

Tried to ask a few kids about their parent, but there's no way to ask them direction to the guys they're talking about.
Oh well, i guess i have now a new war party without the silly limitation in size :)
Too bad gob site still have those areas in which performance is horrible, as i would have very likely done a new visit with my warriors, hoping the passive bug (that does not only affect trolls but your companions in those sites) wouldn't strike again

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:24:15 pm by Robsoie »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14757 on: November 30, 2017, 07:46:04 pm »

Tried to ask a few kids about their parent, but there's no way to ask them direction to the guys they're talking about.
Ask them about the journey, they'll tell you about a parent and where they live. I usually nickname the kids after the place their parent is.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14758 on: December 01, 2017, 07:23:10 am »

Thanks, i had no idea it was this specific dialogue that gave the direction.
It's probably the first time i manage to free prisonner AND bring them back out of a gob site, all my past attempts have been unsuccessfull due to simply unplayable framerate in most of the gob/dark fortress area, i always gave up trying to complete the deed.

This time it was strangely different , as it "only" became atrocious to play in a short area of that site , and it wasn't even in the dark fortress.

Wish Toady could figure out why this still happens, so much adventure to be had in gob sites but 1 step every half a minute at some point of it isn't any kind of remote fun.
I wonder if it's related to the very big bad bug of an AI being stuck and spamming failed pathfinding in fortress mode, as this bring back immediately the game to unplayable level, maybe there's a gob/troll/beakdog that is generated where it should not (or in a blocked path) and generate that constant bugged pathfinding calls and when you're away of the zone (and so the game is back to playable) the AI not being in your "reality bubble" anymore , the pathfinding insanity does not cripple the game anymore.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14759 on: December 01, 2017, 10:13:48 am »

Thanks, i had no idea it was this specific dialogue that gave the direction.
It's probably the first time i manage to free prisonner AND bring them back out of a gob site, all my past attempts have been unsuccessfull due to simply unplayable framerate in most of the gob/dark fortress area, i always gave up trying to complete the deed.

This time it was strangely different , as it "only" became atrocious to play in a short area of that site , and it wasn't even in the dark fortress.

Wish Toady could figure out why this still happens, so much adventure to be had in gob sites but 1 step every half a minute at some point of it isn't any kind of remote fun.
I wonder if it's related to the very big bad bug of an AI being stuck and spamming failed pathfinding in fortress mode, as this bring back immediately the game to unplayable level, maybe there's a gob/troll/beakdog that is generated where it should not (or in a blocked path) and generate that constant bugged pathfinding calls and when you're away of the zone (and so the game is back to playable) the AI not being in your "reality bubble" anymore , the pathfinding insanity does not cripple the game anymore.
it was discovered by max that it was mostly high population count that in the 10,000 and the game trying to load them all in and having them patrol the place.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1104