Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995348 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #14760 on: December 01, 2017, 01:09:18 pm »

And on 10000 unseen ai trying to patrol at the same time, high chance one would have spawned in location without path, as from what fortress mode taught me you only need 1 ai spam bad pathfinding (a dwarf in mood stuck in a tree or on a wall) to cripple the game performance.
And with how hilariously convulated those areas are, it is certainly bound to always happen.

Dwarfu had consolidated all the 40.x to 43.x saved game example of this heavy problem in this report :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7526
Though while there's no 44.x saved game comment about it, it's obvious the issue is sadly still there.

edit : for fun in 34.11 regarding performance, here's a saved game of a 400 dwarves fortress with of course fort design optimisation, when i tried it on my not so good system, it was impressive to see so many AI without any kind of performance problem.
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7750
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:11:34 pm by Robsoie »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14761 on: December 01, 2017, 11:58:18 pm »

Lost my companion while traveling across an ocean to my world's only kobold site. Found those new poison weapon traps:
copper arrows[50]
honey bee venom coating
-copper short sword-
bumblebee venom coating

*Takes an arrow to the hand and the part explodes into gore*
Ohhh, noooo! I've been pooooisoned!

Stumbled across a huge pit filled with several dozen helmet snakes and GCS. They either didn't notice me, or didn't care.

I eventually found some of the more deadly trap coatings. My companion shows up again out of nowhere just to get acquainted with them... repeatedly.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:03:18 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14762 on: December 02, 2017, 08:16:33 am »

This time it was strangely different , as it "only" became atrocious to play in a short area of that site , and it wasn't even in the dark fortress.

Can you remember what time of day it was at that point? I found it surprisingly manageable in that one Dark Pit (out of three) I happened to visit night-time when everyone was sleeping. Also much easier, speaking strictly challenge-wise.

...on the other hand I have to admit, sneaking around in goblin tunnels strangling sleeping trolls to preserve their bodies pristine for necromantic rituals made me seriously question what am I doing with my life. Never again.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14763 on: December 02, 2017, 08:44:59 pm »

Thanks, i had no idea it was this specific dialogue that gave the direction.
It's probably the first time i manage to free prisonner AND bring them back out of a gob site, all my past attempts have been unsuccessfull due to simply unplayable framerate in most of the gob/dark fortress area, i always gave up trying to complete the deed.

This time it was strangely different , as it "only" became atrocious to play in a short area of that site , and it wasn't even in the dark fortress.

Wish Toady could figure out why this still happens, so much adventure to be had in gob sites but 1 step every half a minute at some point of it isn't any kind of remote fun.
I wonder if it's related to the very big bad bug of an AI being stuck and spamming failed pathfinding in fortress mode, as this bring back immediately the game to unplayable level, maybe there's a gob/troll/beakdog that is generated where it should not (or in a blocked path) and generate that constant bugged pathfinding calls and when you're away of the zone (and so the game is back to playable) the AI not being in your "reality bubble" anymore , the pathfinding insanity does not cripple the game anymore.
it was discovered by max that it was mostly high population count that in the 10,000 and the game trying to load them all in and having them patrol the place.
Really the worst part is that:

a. troll populations are endless
b. goblin kill_neutral:required behavior is a lagfuckery nightmare
c. units spawn in locations they don't always want to remain in
d. libraries and taverns lead to mixing of different ethical groups and thus murderfests

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14764 on: December 03, 2017, 03:15:16 am »

I recieved order from my lady to teach the inhabitants of a Dark Fortress a lesson. On the way there, 2 goblin parties killed my companions.

Second time I entered a Dark Fortress in the new version. Second time the game crashed on me during play. (As opposed of worldgen of 0.44.1)
The first time was after I entered a Dark Fortress, but before I saved the Character for the first time.

It was the same world but a different Dark Fortress.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14765 on: December 04, 2017, 11:20:46 am »

Walked up to a barn owl sitting next to a tree. Was able to start conversation with (as far as I could tell, unnamed, random, ordinary )barn owl. Odd.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #14766 on: December 04, 2017, 11:24:54 am »

Walked up to a barn owl sitting next to a tree. Was able to start conversation with (as far as I could tell, unnamed, random, ordinary )barn owl. Odd.
perhaps you're a secret druid, try and get him to join your adventure
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
  • [VILLAINOUS_THEMATIC: LIGHTBULBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14767 on: December 04, 2017, 02:21:09 pm »

Started a new game just now, since I just found out today there's a new version. Went out to hunt/train as one does and killed an eagle to carve it's bones into figurines. Returned to home hamlet and asked a random person to trade. I traded a handful of figurines for their pouch. The NPC didn't remove the gold inside the pouch.

So, by this logic, I could go around to every npc in the hamlet and buy all their pouches for roughly a single unit of currency, and then get all the currency they have on them. I get the feeling this has been in the game for a while, but I never thought to buy NPC's pouches before.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14768 on: December 04, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »

Did it talk back? Because you can start conversations with non-sapient animals, they just normally shouldn't be able to respond.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14769 on: December 04, 2017, 06:06:12 pm »

I'm honestly gonna do a run where I'm a goblin with no starting traits, no personality, and outright don't talk at all as a person, and I'm gonna essentially just start with the clothes on my back and my starting knife, i think it'd be a really fun run
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14770 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:18 pm »

I'm honestly gonna do a run where I'm a goblin with no starting traits, no personality, and outright don't talk at all as a person, and I'm gonna essentially just start with the clothes on my back and my starting knife, i think it'd be a really fun run

Make sure to stay away from warehouses and stockpiles, too. I've always been disappointed when I try to start a "from-nothing" run and then I walk into a giant room of goods and pick up all-steel equipment without having to pay anything.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14771 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:23 pm »

my character died unfortunately from an unlucky shot, might begin a dwarven adventurer, the dwarves are my preferred uh, adventurers
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:35:16 pm by Nep Nep »
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14772 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:10 pm »

-snip- the dwarves are my preferred uh, adventurers
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14773 on: December 05, 2017, 10:03:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Holy hell for once the game doesnt refer to me as an "unknown creature"

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14774 on: December 07, 2017, 07:00:08 pm »

Figured I'd check out the new kobold caves, haven't done a proper search of them before - had a pretty neat adventure, with a somewhat tragic, if appropriate, ending.

My adventurer is a cursed pirate by the name of Lowelli Underchop - mostly doing treasure hunting and the occasional killing of beasts and bandits.

The bossman of her hometown wanted her to recover Whiskerrable, a shiv once belonging to Lon Teethsculpts, another pirate. It came into possession of a Nosferatu, Ty'gar Dashclinched. Figured this was a good enough place to start at - the journey would take Lowelli north, to the territory of the Mute Arrow, an Ogre empire. Joining her were Edwarts Fistsculpted, another cursed pirate, and Math Phlegmviolence, a skeletal pirate.

The journey was fairly uneventful, save for a rather strange town, called Standbristles, full of naked concubines of various races, potentially being sold as slaves by the Ogres. Despite being a damned, godless, murderous pirate, Lowelli had some standards and didn't stay long to observe this decadent degeneracy, only stopping to speak with the Ogre Imperator, Korgor Hagcastles. He tipped her off to another artifact, which fell into the possession of the Snobolds.

The artifact promised great power, indeed. Of course, she had no intention of letting it get to the grubby hands of the Imperator. First things first though, the shiv.

The lair of the Nosferatu, called "Hogpast", was near - a few hours to the east of Standbristles. Lowelli's crew set up camp not far from it, hoping to spot the wretched being. They were the ones ambushed instead - however, the Nosferatu was ill-prepared, and clearly not a fighter in its former life. It swung the shiv without skill, merely taking advantage of its own supernatural strength and agility.

During the prolonged fight, Edwarts made a fatal slip - the undead bloodsucker bit into her foot, draining the blood from the wound, before tearing it off with ease. Several more bites to her other limbs followed, causing crippling injuries.

Lowelli noticed that Ty'gar dropped the shiv in his frenzy - she quickly took it and thrust it into the vampires stomach, sending him reeling. A quick stab to the fiends head put it down for good.

Aside from Whiskerrabble, the emaciated night creature was clutching onto another item - a slab made out of demonic steel. Tampering with demonic artifacts was known to be quite foolish; Lowelli was undettered, however - nothing the slab could do would be worse than her current fate. Indeed, reading it invigorated her and empowering her with superhuman strength.

Due to Edwarts wounds, she had to be abandoned - to replace her, Lowelli hired a two-headed ogress, Do'ronn Toldshocked, who was skilled with a sword.

Travelling further north to the Winter of Ice, the crew eventually found the cave - the Echoes of Fortune, it was called. Appropriate. The Snobolds had set up many traps in their home, to deter intruders. Some of them managed to inflict injuries upon Math and Do'ronn - one of them appeared to even poison Do'ronn, who complained of dizziness and nausea.

Nevertheless, they found their way, eventually reaching the Snobold religious leader, Orghosa Mothtribes - in her hands, she clutched not only Brandedcakes the Hammer of Holes, the slab bearing the knowledge of pyromancy, but also Bravedrobust the Special Yell, a slab bearing unknown knowledge.

Lowelli gave Orghosa a chance to part with the artifact without anyone getting harmed. The geomancer was unrelenting - something the undead pirate welcomed.

The old Snobold matron turned away, shaking her head, only to suddenly feel the piercing sting of Lowelli's rapier. This time, she was a lot more cooperative.

Reading the slab Bravedrobust seemed to cause no effects in Lowelli. Perhaps it had already been drained of magical energies. However, Brandedcakes bestowed its blessings on her with each word read.

As Lowelli was busy reading the slab, the Snobold crone attempted to run away and call for help - before anyone could come to her aid, Do'ronn cleaved her body in two separate halves, ending Orghosa's long life.

The three made good their escape, only stopping to take trinkets and baubles from the Snobolds trove of stolen goods. While not masterful artifacts, they were indeed quite pretty and in good condition - the Snobolds took proper care of their items.

It appeared that even in death, Orghosa would have one last laugh. As Lowelli was about to escape the Snobold den, an arrow fired from a trap made her jump away on reflex. She fell down into the pit the Snobolds had dug out as a trap for their intruders. Both of her arms were mangled by the fall - unable to hold onto the walls in order to climb out, she called for help to Math and Do'ronn. Even from all the way below, she heard them formulating a plan on getting her out. As hope was starting to set in, everything was shattered - all three heard the sound of approaching, furiously running feet and the frenzied squeals of the Snobolds. Do'ronn and Math fled the angered rat-men, leaving Lowelli alone.

The realization set in soon after. She was fully unable to escape; completely stuck in this small, blood-stained pit. Forever.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:02:06 pm by ZM5 »
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1103