Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2021368 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15150 on: May 25, 2018, 04:37:25 am »

oh someone else saw what the frozen ocean can do.
glad, I'm not alone in the Don't go into the ocean, don't try to fight the ocean, it's alive and hungry.

also oh boy I kinda walk into a bogeyman discussion huh?
I figured with the addition of building stuff players just need to build a roof when night draws near to avoid bogeymen... or play a spiderperson as they don't have the fear glands to aggro them.
then again I'm kinda running a world where folks Tamed and made them civil enough to be played in adventure mode or find one walking about in a town and could be recruited so uhh shrug?
gonna be sad seeing them go in a future patch though. loads of fun experimenting and figuring out how they work.
...side effect of doing this means Fort mode gets access to buying bogeymen on trades or seeing one pop up in a migrant wave as a pet.

edit: oh in adv mode news I some how luck out with dfhack to finally get access to the fort mode world map for raids.
so I think it possible I could send out an adventurer to go on raids to steal and tick off other civs. don't know if this will crash soon.
edit2: oh on figuring out bogeymen I guess everyone else is making Tent huts when they camp so the cackling doesn't spawn on them when it's night out, and also the cackling is what creates and kills bogeymen, the creature themselves don't poof if they walk indoors or the sun is up, it's when someone does those required events during the cackling is what kills them(which makes civil bogeymen adventurers getting caught in the cackling a death sentence).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:45:54 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #15151 on: May 25, 2018, 08:54:48 am »

oh someone else saw what the frozen ocean can do.
glad, I'm not alone in the Don't go into the ocean, don't try to fight the ocean, it's alive and hungry.

I figured with the addition of building stuff players just need to build a roof when night draws near to avoid bogeymen... or play a spiderperson as they don't have the fear glands to aggro them.
then again I'm kinda running a world where folks Tamed and made them civil enough to be played in adventure mode or find one walking about in a town and could be recruited so uhh shrug?
gonna be sad seeing them go in a future patch though. loads of fun experimenting and figuring out how they work.
...side effect of doing this means Fort mode gets access to buying bogeymen on trades or seeing one pop up in a migrant wave as a pet.

edit: oh in adv mode news I some how luck out with dfhack to finally get access to the fort mode world map for raids.
so I think it possible I could send out an adventurer to go on raids to steal and tick off other civs. don't know if this will crash soon.
edit2: oh on figuring out bogeymen I guess everyone else is making Tent huts when they camp so the cackling doesn't spawn on them when it's night out, and also the cackling is what creates and kills bogeymen, the creature themselves don't poof if they walk indoors or the sun is up, it's when someone does those required events during the cackling is what kills them(which makes civil bogeymen adventurers getting caught in the cackling a death sentence).
I was just pointing out that they make even less sense then before because they don’t affect the new NPC questers.

In other news:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/8m1ocg/a_kobold_stole_the_slab_from_a_necromancer_then_a/?st=JHM124F7&sh=52f68154
This is awesome, I want to go on a quest to retrieve that slab from the dragon now.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

5crownik007

• Bay Watcher
  • 5crownik007 cancels Homework, playing Dwarf Fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: May 25, 2018, 10:29:21 pm »

I figured with the addition of building stuff players just need to build a roof when night draws near to avoid bogeymen...
I was under a roof... a single roof.
https://i.gyazo.com/a2e73b4fe5612640aacbe46cb4c78740.gif
The Soviet invasion of the Reich fort in arena. Soviets won despite... that.
---------------------------
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: May 25, 2018, 10:32:42 pm »

I figured with the addition of building stuff players just need to build a roof when night draws near to avoid bogeymen...
I was under a roof... a single roof.
You have to designate it as a campsite.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: May 26, 2018, 10:25:03 am »

The problem? Bogeymen are going to be removed in the next major release.

.....Not entirely accurate, mind you. They'll be back as part of procgen, quoth the devlog.  Unless I've thoroughly missed the speculative mark.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: May 26, 2018, 10:26:48 am »

The problem? Bogeymen are going to be removed in the next major release.

.....Not entirely accurate, mind you. They'll be back as part of procgen, quoth the devlog.  Unless I've thoroughly missed the speculative mark.
Procgen might produce something similar, yeah.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: May 26, 2018, 10:34:08 am »

They're not so much being "removed" as just generalized to fit the mythgen system AFAIK. I'm pretty sure the same goes for most of the other seemingly "magical" elements in the game right now, which are all basically placeholders for the full system.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: May 28, 2018, 11:05:21 pm »

I was looking through the legends viewer and I found there is a worm man in my world and he is a Great Dancer.

I must make it my quest to find him and learn how to do the worm like none other.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: May 30, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »

well currently playing the recent darkages mod and gen a world that's dead or close to it, and roaming around it as a illilthid, during the travels I mostly found other megabeasts who seem alot more chill to talk to, and found a minotaur woman who first visit ended with me luring her near a bear. found an Elf Vampire who I chatted with for some time then roam around the vast nothingness eating birds and drinking their blood out of "can't find anything good to drink and this stuff is as close to wine these days."
ended up walking back to the minotaur woman and ended up discussing her son and convincing her to join me in a band.
so now a Cowlady and an octopus for a head are going around this small pocket map doing performances.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: May 30, 2018, 03:47:02 pm »

Seems legit.

I just started a demigod character to take over the world. So far ive been chatting with people and killed like one gangster and raised one mummy. Im so bad at this.

Im going on a conquest spree. All will bow before me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15160 on: May 31, 2018, 01:03:18 am »

in the vicious goal I made for my adventurer to level up every weapon skill to Legendary before striving to become a dwarf civ leader in fort mode, I ran into a mummy whom I apparently as stated by Legends mode, disturbed in a catacomb from a town nearly an in-game year ago.

Her name was Tiquo Lakeconflicts and she was a woodburner. She had no upper body, or any body part to speak of, luckily I was a vampire by then so she couldn't cast its curse. She had a bogeyman leather pouch and a Giant tiger leather pouch filled with generic coins. She also had a basalt boning knife accompanied by a green jade carving knife. Even luckier since she had no physical presence for some reason, all of her clothing which were generic, along with her items immediately dropped as soon as I let a tick(, .) pass by after exiting the travel screen.

Unfortunately bogeymen spawned in since it was night and she died to a punch in the leg, being struck down instantly with no further description of the injured part. I felt bad because she was actually listed as "ally" when the "fighting" started. I guess she will be now listed as having "given into the night" in legends mode once I get the chance to check again.

After the cackling ended I grabbed both of the knives and the bogeymen leather pouch as a trophy keep(im sure the latter wasnt even supposed to rng in like that anyways), and when I retire at my future fort I will make sure to leave the green jade carving knife and the bogeyman leather pouch on each hand so that they get turned into master quality during world update. The basalt boning knife broke after making some bandit's upper body cloven asunder on the last hit so there's no saving it now.

side note; there was an artifact kenaf shoe called The Venerable Sheens, made in order to sanctify her by preserving a part of her body when she was entombed in year 18 after dying in the same year to some cyclops (it is currently year 20 still so it wasn't long ago), I stole that shoe from the elven druid that had it after a pillage just a bit up north from the town, then gave it back to the religious group that resided in the same temple with the catacomb just under. I dinted kill the elf because I felt it would be better to come back at her later with seven dwarves in fortress mode as a militia commander. So much for those elves making that shoe their symbol of diplomacy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:12:35 am by BadCompany141 »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: June 01, 2018, 08:03:36 am »

The local tavern stores its booze in pitchblende barrels.

They say that oaken barrels improve the quality of whiskey, I guess that radioactive barrels do the same for the quality of sewer brew.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: June 03, 2018, 02:11:07 am »

I have come to an impass.

In Ane's adventures to conquer the world, she has slain some of the most powerful beasts there are, including a leviathan, which is as big as a giant sperm whale. She also made friends with a spider queen, because being undead together apparently makes us friends. Shes nice to chat with at least. Would paint the walls with Ane's guts if I tried anything i figure. Also taken down two forgotten beasts, one made of bismuth and another scaly spider that literally didnt notice i stabbed it like a thousand times, just chilling headbutting a wall. My one companion killed a hydra and is also credited with three night troll kills and the other killed a couple night trolls as well.

So we visited the far south-eastern corner of the map, where theres this abandoned mage fortress. I found thats not totally accurate, as a water summoner has taken up residence there and filled it with water thralls. Right outside the fort i found a lair where an intellect mage and a shapeshifter took up residence. The mage agreed to not only travel with us but let me borrow her secret slab, and became a hearthperson of mine.

Then upon leaving the tundra for a tower nearby, we were ambushed by werewolves. Both the intellect mage and less renowned companion were bitten on exposed flesh. The third heroic companion was also bitten, but was protected by their clothing. I made four camps where each of us could wait in solitude for the full moon, and now its arrived.

The hydra slayer is fine. But i checked the mage, and she is definitely cursed. Unfortunately i can go no further, because trying to leave the area or wait causes the game to crash, and i just saved the game upon reaching the site.

I figure the crash is caused by the mage being transformed into a werewolf and being in possession of a slab theyre "hauling" because of the transformation, so the game must be having a hickup regarding that. Unfortunately the only solution i can come up with, since she refuses to speak to me, is to kill her or otherwise start a fight and get her to drop the slab. And it might just be that my savegame is corrupt and doomed anyway, which sucks...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: June 03, 2018, 02:44:20 am »

Starting a "Brawl" level fight by trying to tear the slab from her hands using a wrestling move, and then ceasing hostilities might work without having to kill her.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: June 03, 2018, 10:14:48 am »

Can you retire at the camp then build a player nanofort somewhere on the site, you could then use the dwarves to Dump haul the slab from the mage.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1104