Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994719 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15180 on: June 27, 2018, 10:46:36 pm »

It seems the 'nobody fights anybody' bug has been replaced by 'everyone fights everyone'. Oh well, it's certainly more exciting!
Got a quest from my lord, convinced a nearby soldier to come with, and set off to find some night creature or other. Ended up killing some other night creature at the same lair by mistake, with my companion being mortally wounded in the process - though he survived long enough to join me in fast travel, and only actually died much later as I was chatting to people in the next village, haha.

After that I used my newfound (very minor) fame to recruit three new companions, and headed back out in search of my actual target.
I stopped to investigate travellers on the world map along the way, and they turned out to be hostile soldiers, though I only realised they were hostile after receiving the stock "I'm on an important mission" response when I said sup.

So we had a bunch of kills under our belts, made it back to the lair, and found the corpse of the monster we were supposed to be after lying inside.
I went back home, glad to finally be able to complete one of these newfangled quests, only for my selection of 'hearthperson duty report' or whatever to be met with a curt, unfriendly "Identify yourself!"
Uh oh. I'd seen some murmurings about identity-fuelled suspicion cascades/riots on the forum, and sure enough that's what happened here. One of my companions abandoned me (and possibly flung some projectiles our way, though it was hard to keep track in the ensuing chaos) but the other two stood firm - probably because I'd met them in the other hamlet down the road.

In the bloodbath there was plenty of hurt getting laid on both sides, but unfortunately I wound up taking a lucky strike from the metal whip wielded by one of the lord's loyalist, my bloody scimitar falling from my grip as my spinal cord made like confetti.
My own lasher friend stepped swiftly forward to avenge me, though, which made for a very welcome change from companions standing idly by in the last few versions.
I spent my last few moments savagely biting and mauling the lord (who happened to be a goblin, perhaps that has something to do with why this happened) until I suffocated.

Fun times!
Afterwards I made a peasant to go check out the aftermath (since apparently you can't hold the space or period key to continue events after your death any more?) and found the lord still ruling from his keep, covered in horrific scars, whilst one of my previous characters was lurking in a nearby house and snubbed me when I tried to recruit them again.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15181 on: June 29, 2018, 08:00:15 pm »

Made a saltwater crocodile woman, wanted to a 'martial artist' kinda thing, using just her body to fight, but after poking around a bit with advfort i decided to go killin stuff with a large serrated disc. Fun.
Killed a bunch of goblins and a giantess so far

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15182 on: July 03, 2018, 06:56:27 am »

Recreated Chara from Undertale, been killing things with a DFHacked masterwork adamantine slicing knife.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15183 on: July 03, 2018, 07:32:54 am »

Im using adamantine too but i made it myself

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15184 on: July 03, 2018, 07:36:59 am »

What did you use to make a knife in adv mode? Advfort?

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15185 on: July 03, 2018, 07:25:29 pm »

What did you use to make a knife in adv mode? Advfort?
Yeah
It feels somewhat better when the game states its your craft
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:28:16 pm by adamkad1 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: July 03, 2018, 07:52:58 pm »

So, uh... is zombies wielding weapons a bug or a "feature"?
Also they're a lot more resilient than in previous versions. Of all the things that needed a buff (*cough* dragons *cough*), zombies were certainly not one. >.>

Edit: just killed a night creature by jumping on its head, Mario-style.
I'd only intended to get down into the ditch to be close enough to fight, but I'll take it! :))   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:13:12 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15187 on: July 03, 2018, 09:26:45 pm »

So, uh... is zombies wielding weapons a bug or a "feature"?
Also they're a lot more resilient than in previous versions. Of all the things that needed a buff (*cough* dragons *cough*), zombies were certainly not one. >.>

Edit: just killed a night creature by jumping on its head, Mario-style.
I'd only intended to get down into the ditch to be close enough to fight, but I'll take it! :))   
Gonna say feature. They died holding weapons and were raised without any instructions to drop them.

The zombie crossbowmen are pushing credibility a little though...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15188 on: July 04, 2018, 03:43:27 am »

Unrelated gripe: oh my goddd, why is talking not a free action?! That's like, one of the golden rules of gaming, video or otherwise. >.<
Stumbled across a captive child in the dark fortress I was (very slowly) rampaging through, but I'm trying to rescue the little twerp she keeps running off every time I try to say a damn thing.
What makes this even more painful is the abysmally low FPS I'm getting here. Prior to finding the kid I was throwing myself at every troll I found, thinking, "if they manage to kill me it'll be a mercy, considering how long it's gonna take me to make my way back out of this place," but now I have to save this kid at any cost. :-\

Maybe I should just install DFHack and teleport us out...
Booze is Life for Yoink

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15189 on: July 04, 2018, 03:49:02 am »

Unrelated gripe: oh my goddd, why is talking not a free action?! That's like, one of the golden rules of gaming, video or otherwise. >.<
Stumbled across a captive child in the dark fortress I was (very slowly) rampaging through, but I'm trying to rescue the little twerp she keeps running off every time I try to say a damn thing.
What makes this even more painful is the abysmally low FPS I'm getting here. Prior to finding the kid I was throwing myself at every troll I found, thinking, "if they manage to kill me it'll be a mercy, considering how long it's gonna take me to make my way back out of this place," but now I have to save this kid at any cost. :-\

Maybe I should just install DFHack and teleport us out...
It's more realistic that way.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15190 on: July 04, 2018, 03:55:17 am »

No it's not. "More realistic" would mean you weren't rooted in place whilst talking. Multi-tasking like that would presumably be very hard to code, though, so talking=free action is the most realistic option that's viable.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #15191 on: July 04, 2018, 04:21:43 am »

But talking can give you a combat advantage, this is more about gameplay than realism. I usually brag about my kills before I'm engaging a group of enemies, and even if goblinos are not super smart they know that the dude who gutted their boss is probably stronger than them

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: July 04, 2018, 05:19:13 am »

In my opinion it would be far better from a gameplay perspective, too, considering that was the main point of my original post. :P
I think the possibility of occasionally gaining some small advantage by talking during/prior to combat is better than just making it a bad idea to use the speech mechanic at all  in a potentially dangerous situation?

Anyway: what are the best weapons for zombie-smashing these days? Combat seems to have changed quite a bit in recent versions, as have zombies.
Booze is Life for Yoink

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #15193 on: July 04, 2018, 05:26:09 am »

Had a pretty neat adventure - I hired a quilboar swordswoman named Krara, who I noticed talked a lot about 3 wild beasts that set up lairs around my starting civ. All of them she seemed to have a grudge against for killing her cousins - figured I'd help her get revenge.
We travelled for a bit, killing bandits and some wild predatory animals that ambushed us in order to train - I had to replace my other companion, a quilboar spearman whose name I forget, as his foot got severed - hired a mogu swordsman named Guilen to replace him.

We reached the lair of the first target, a minion of gluttony named Lorah - the lair was quite ghastly, there were many blood spatters over the floor and walls, each of which seemingly had a different name tied to it, and there was a cauldron filled with bug paste, blood, sentient meat, bones, hair and other organic tissue. Piles of armor, trinkets, remains and other junk littered the place.

Lorah wasn't alone - another minion of gluttony, this one stricken with leprosy, appeared out of another room in the lair. While at first the fight seemed to go smoothly, eventually the leper broke Guilen's neck with a punch - the two gluttony minions then essentially ate him alive - he died when a bite collapsed his skull.
Krara fought on before her neck was also broken - she suffocated shortly after I finished off both of the minions. I took both Krara's and Guilen's corpses and burned them - feeling obliged to finish her revenge, I went off to the lair of the next target, hiring a sand troll axeman and a dagger-thrower in the meantime.

The next one wasn't anything to note - another gluttony minion, this one armed with a fork - it barely grazed me before dying from blood loss - its body collapsed into the cauldron it used to cook the remains of its victims.

The last target was far more dangerous - a gronn named Aetos Rightcave the Esteemed Earthen Gold - its "lair" wasn't actually much of a lair, merely a small area in the open desert where it kept various loot. He was armed with a steel knuckleduster and used it rather effectively - my dagger-thrower companion immediately pelted Aetos with his daggers, whereas the axeman companion charged into melee, but was blown away by a cloud of dust from a ground pound. He eventually managed to completely mangle both of my arms and scratch off my leg - nonetheless, Aetos gave into pain after repeated attacks from my axeman's hatchet. I used the opportunity to strangle him to death, which actually worked.

Krara's revenge fulfilled, I returned to my hometown and retired, figuring this was the best spot to end this adventurer's story - probably the best ending I could have hoped for as well.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15194 on: July 04, 2018, 07:19:35 am »

gonna jump in to say if talking is a free action it would totally break(as in make them even more overpowered broken) my Banish and invoke scripts.
given you can and will end up eating a knuckle if you try to control someone through powers of a slab in melee range.

then again Way WAY back in the old DF era talking booted you into a new menu which I think paused the game so it was a Free action but got changed so that conversations can happen in ...ingame time. so this probably a case of a feature being added to make NPCs have conversations with each other and a nice menu for adventurer players to join in.
it does mean that NPCS have to spend an action to talk which gives you another turn for attacking.

in Not discussing old DFadv changes being brought up to light and dfhackery news : I'm currently doing research on adventurers retiring in forts and the possibility of getting companions to become workers. so far found out you can just get your adventurer of any Civ to retire in a player fort if you retire in their civ link sites like a hillocks or conquered sites then send a messenger over to pick them up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 1103