Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1024

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 994362 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • A big guy, for you.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15225 on: July 07, 2018, 12:27:30 pm »

What are your favorite gen settings for adventure worlds?
500 years, medium world, +5 to maximum civs, increase caves by 30% to 50%, increase megabeast caves accordingly, bogeymen off, titans, disturbances, and such set to 100 to 200, vampires and werebeasts set to 30 to 50, night creatures set relatively low (otherwise the starting ones will overtake the world), and volcanoes doubled or tripled. Also, caves set to visible on world map.
Bay12: Where a discussion about a man's anus manage to be Lovecraftian.
you sir, deserve a medal. this is the dawn of a new age of child trauma.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15226 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:29 pm »

I usually pick large/medium world, short/medium history, lots of beasts and civs and sites, medium savagery and resources everywhere

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15227 on: July 07, 2018, 03:16:58 pm »

Just came into a tavern to find a greasy haired lady forcing the commander to drop his loincloth...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Stabs glutes respectfully
    • View Profile
« Reply #15228 on: July 07, 2018, 03:31:01 pm »

Shes clearly had enough to drink...
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #15229 on: July 08, 2018, 03:51:58 am »

I can imagine an exasperated tavern keeper in the background of the scene and a shocked, blood-caked adventurer who just barely walked in just staring at the two.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15230 on: July 08, 2018, 02:05:55 pm »

Just came into a tavern to find a greasy haired lady forcing the commander to drop his loincloth...
I dont like where thats going

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #15231 on: July 08, 2018, 02:56:00 pm »

She's robbing him omg why
I suppose you missed the whole thing of me thinking that fapping was the noise a keyboard made when being typed with.
Current project : Mong Kima
Commission me

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15232 on: July 11, 2018, 08:45:35 am »

I found a monk with a knife made of solid opal and a pouch of cyclops leather:

According to Legends Viewer she's called Ocba Soulsoap (a good name for a monk), worships the goddess of death, disease, and creation (a Creator-Destroyer deity?), has made pilgrimages to several tombs, and has been recruiting monks into the "Hideous Cloisters" for about seventy years.

She won't join my party, unfortunately.

Also I keep finding naked peasants in taverns. They always say they used to be dancers...
Åvath öntâk tu than nastek vuz; el, az Armok, vuz tar than sut.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15233 on: July 11, 2018, 09:06:08 am »

Also I keep finding naked peasants in taverns. They always say they used to be dancers...
Performance troupes are considered to be separate civilizations, so dancers will eventually have their clothes rot away and never be replaced.
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Grammar is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #15234 on: July 11, 2018, 02:59:24 pm »

I've seen the stone/gem daggers too, not sure what causes it. Regarding travelling troupes, what KittyTac said is true - they essentially spawn nude since they seem to count as entities separate from their original home civs.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15235 on: July 11, 2018, 06:15:12 pm »

currently been setting up hermit forts with my adventurer in a mad dash to take over towns and other villas through conquest.
so far slowly noticing that goblins snap and try to ask for identification if you switch from fort mode to adventurer mode which makes me kinda worried as now I have to exile all of them than just having 6 early units for military.
probably need to scout out and look for stuff to take over also figure out if talking the towns folk of a site that been seized would add them to the worker list or not?

in a different save I ended up giving a cup of 30,000 stacks of dwarven ale to a herbalist dwarf and she has at least 12,000 left from non-stop drinking.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15236 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:10 am »

I think I've found the worst town in Dwarf Fortress.

In the town of Brushmysteries are:
--a castle made of silver, where the elven lord sits on a throne of gold.
--a temple
--a warehouse consisting of a single room full of weapons
--a market with eight merchants in it, all selling rhyollite tables
--a tavern with the floor space of a living room
--a well
--and this house:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As near as I can tell every citizens of the town lives in this one house. In this picture there are 80+ people stuffed into that room; most of them are naked and covered in blood and vomit (after a fight with two goblins). And the house isn't even in the town proper, it's on the outskirts.

Now, when the lord lives in a silver castle and all the citizens live in a one-bedroom hut like some death camp nightmare, I'd say you have a bit of an imbalance in your society. Maybe it's no wonder those goblins tried to start an insurrection.
Åvath öntâk tu than nastek vuz; el, az Armok, vuz tar than sut.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15237 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:24 am »

I once found a platinum castle.
RODCHENKO WORKS IN SIGS
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Grammar is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15238 on: July 13, 2018, 11:12:40 am »

So the fortress I created a few days ago was kind of teetering on the edge of a tantrum spiral, so I decided to give it up. But instead of just deleting the save, I did something different this time: I made a full set of masterwork Adamantine gear, retired the fortress, and started an adventurer from there to pick the gear up.

So far I've fought some random criminals, and killed a night troll from a quest. Just now though, I found a town to rest in for the night (used social skills as dump stats so I couldn't recruit anyone in my starting place) and I found a couple *s walking around on the map. The first one was a prisoner who couldn't explain why they were there and begged me to take them with me, which I did. The second group was a dwarf lord, and a few goblins. Nothing too unusual at first glance, goblins can end up in other societies in worldgen.

Things get a little more interesting when I start talking to him, though:

Taking a peek at Legends, the dwarf lord was abducted at the age of 2 by goblins and grew up in their society. 69 years later, the goblins made a couple attacks on The League of Monasteries, a human group, the second one led by this guy. He ended up imprisoned, but not long after escaped and became the lord of The League of Monasteries.

As for my new human buddy, he was apparently attacked by the night troll as a child but managed to survive, then a year later was abducted by the same goblins as the lord--then a few years later abducted from them by a different group, and ultimately ended up leading an attack on The League of Monasteries a year after the dwarf took control of it, and ended up imprisoned by them, until I helped free him.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15239 on: July 13, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »

I just retired a Gorlak adventurer who had a short but fun adventure - my favorite so far, in fact. I didn't find anything special - I just convinced two soldiers, Zasit and Zas, to join me on my adventures. We left the fort and immediately set out towards the Monstrous Forest, a terrifying woodland crawling with giant zombies. My plan was to meet up with my current "fort", which consisted of 7 dwarves, a few pack animals, and a tunnel carved into a hill, claim lordship, and then resume the fort with a Gorlak leader. What ended up happening was far more fun.

I talked with Zasit, and took a liking to them - they were an older swordsdwarf that valued family and martial prowess. We made it to the Monstrous Forest with relatively little incident - we were ambushed by a giant jaguar while we were hunting, but the three of us easily overpowered the beast. However, upon arriving at the Monstrous Forest, we were almost immediately set upon by a pack of undead dingo men, which proved to be worthy opponents. Zas fled nigh immediately, but Zasit stuck with me and we together were barely able to escape, but not after Zasit's shield arm was badly injured. I determined that the Monstrous Forest was perhaps too dangerous of a place for us until we had trained further, and brought us back to the nearest human town. On our way, we were attacked by a pack of dingoes, and once again, Zas fled, leaving Zasit and I to dispatch the beasts. Zasit followed Zas when we had routed the remaining dingoes, and when the two returned, they seemed to be quarreling - while they weren't delivering blows to each other, my only dialogue options with Zas were to either demand that he yields or ask to stop the fighting. He immediately acquiesced when I asked him to stop fighting, and we continued onwards, although I was worried. We stopped and rested in a field for the night, as I was tired and I could only assume the same was true for my companions. However, the rest was ultimately ill-fated. A large pack of giant dingoes ambushed us, falling upon Zas. Zasit and I rushed to his aid, but before the dingoes had even landed the first blow, Zas had fled into the woods, once again leaving Zasit and I, who had come to save him, with the burden of fighting off the dingoes. Zasit charged into the fray, fatally puncturing the lungs of one of the beasts, but the rest immediately crowded Zasit, jaws snapping and claws raking. Zasit entered a martial trance, wounding more of the dingoes and scaring one off while I hacked at their legs, trying to cripple them. Alas, Zasit, consumed with rage and entranced in the heat of battle, struck hastily and struck a mortal wound on one of the few remaining dingoes. However, his wild attack left his guard open, allowing the giant dingo he was striking at to dispatch him with its final attack before it bled out.

The few remaining giant dingoes were easily routed - Zasit's heroic last stand allowed me to injure and disable their legs, so it was a simple matter of scaring them off and dispatching them. Sure enough, when I had taken care of the last of them, Zas emerged from whatever pit he was hiding in. He was ranting about how "death was all around us".

I, naturally, drew my axe and started hacking away. Zas pleaded for mercy and, of course, began to run. I chased him down, flinging coins and what remained of my rations at him as he ran, but to little effect. As a dwarf, he was far faster than me, so I had no choice but to let him run. However, his flight had left tracks that were easily readable in the carpet of snow and foliage that blanketed the forest floor, so it was only a matter of patience until I tracked Zas down. I was sneaking, and the darkness of night allowed me to inch my way behind Zas. With that done, I wound up a heavy strike and lopped off the coward's head. I stripped the goods off of Zas, returned to Zasit, cut a few trees with my axe, and built a small sort of mausoleum, in which I put the body of Zasit, his weapons, and what I had taken from Zas. I then set the grass around the mausoleum on fire. Unfortunately, it didn't spread at all, which was somewhat disappointing, but it didn't burn out either, so I still think Zasit got the burial he deserved.

That's where my story more or less ended. I, alone, trekked to my fort, took out a few zombies, and retired after claiming lordship. Unfortunately, my game now crashes whenever I try to load that world up, so I was never actually able to play a dwarven fortress ruled by a Gorlak.

It was inevitable.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1024