Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2015099 times)

shikushiku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15225 on: July 13, 2018, 11:12:40 am »

So the fortress I created a few days ago was kind of teetering on the edge of a tantrum spiral, so I decided to give it up. But instead of just deleting the save, I did something different this time: I made a full set of masterwork Adamantine gear, retired the fortress, and started an adventurer from there to pick the gear up.

So far I've fought some random criminals, and killed a night troll from a quest. Just now though, I found a town to rest in for the night (used social skills as dump stats so I couldn't recruit anyone in my starting place) and I found a couple *s walking around on the map. The first one was a prisoner who couldn't explain why they were there and begged me to take them with me, which I did. The second group was a dwarf lord, and a few goblins. Nothing too unusual at first glance, goblins can end up in other societies in worldgen.

Things get a little more interesting when I start talking to him, though:

Taking a peek at Legends, the dwarf lord was abducted at the age of 2 by goblins and grew up in their society. 69 years later, the goblins made a couple attacks on The League of Monasteries, a human group, the second one led by this guy. He ended up imprisoned, but not long after escaped and became the lord of The League of Monasteries.

As for my new human buddy, he was apparently attacked by the night troll as a child but managed to survive, then a year later was abducted by the same goblins as the lord--then a few years later abducted from them by a different group, and ultimately ended up leading an attack on The League of Monasteries a year after the dwarf took control of it, and ended up imprisoned by them, until I helped free him.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15226 on: July 13, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »

I just retired a Gorlak adventurer who had a short but fun adventure - my favorite so far, in fact. I didn't find anything special - I just convinced two soldiers, Zasit and Zas, to join me on my adventures. We left the fort and immediately set out towards the Monstrous Forest, a terrifying woodland crawling with giant zombies. My plan was to meet up with my current "fort", which consisted of 7 dwarves, a few pack animals, and a tunnel carved into a hill, claim lordship, and then resume the fort with a Gorlak leader. What ended up happening was far more fun.

I talked with Zasit, and took a liking to them - they were an older swordsdwarf that valued family and martial prowess. We made it to the Monstrous Forest with relatively little incident - we were ambushed by a giant jaguar while we were hunting, but the three of us easily overpowered the beast. However, upon arriving at the Monstrous Forest, we were almost immediately set upon by a pack of undead dingo men, which proved to be worthy opponents. Zas fled nigh immediately, but Zasit stuck with me and we together were barely able to escape, but not after Zasit's shield arm was badly injured. I determined that the Monstrous Forest was perhaps too dangerous of a place for us until we had trained further, and brought us back to the nearest human town. On our way, we were attacked by a pack of dingoes, and once again, Zas fled, leaving Zasit and I to dispatch the beasts. Zasit followed Zas when we had routed the remaining dingoes, and when the two returned, they seemed to be quarreling - while they weren't delivering blows to each other, my only dialogue options with Zas were to either demand that he yields or ask to stop the fighting. He immediately acquiesced when I asked him to stop fighting, and we continued onwards, although I was worried. We stopped and rested in a field for the night, as I was tired and I could only assume the same was true for my companions. However, the rest was ultimately ill-fated. A large pack of giant dingoes ambushed us, falling upon Zas. Zasit and I rushed to his aid, but before the dingoes had even landed the first blow, Zas had fled into the woods, once again leaving Zasit and I, who had come to save him, with the burden of fighting off the dingoes. Zasit charged into the fray, fatally puncturing the lungs of one of the beasts, but the rest immediately crowded Zasit, jaws snapping and claws raking. Zasit entered a martial trance, wounding more of the dingoes and scaring one off while I hacked at their legs, trying to cripple them. Alas, Zasit, consumed with rage and entranced in the heat of battle, struck hastily and struck a mortal wound on one of the few remaining dingoes. However, his wild attack left his guard open, allowing the giant dingo he was striking at to dispatch him with its final attack before it bled out.

The few remaining giant dingoes were easily routed - Zasit's heroic last stand allowed me to injure and disable their legs, so it was a simple matter of scaring them off and dispatching them. Sure enough, when I had taken care of the last of them, Zas emerged from whatever pit he was hiding in. He was ranting about how "death was all around us".

I, naturally, drew my axe and started hacking away. Zas pleaded for mercy and, of course, began to run. I chased him down, flinging coins and what remained of my rations at him as he ran, but to little effect. As a dwarf, he was far faster than me, so I had no choice but to let him run. However, his flight had left tracks that were easily readable in the carpet of snow and foliage that blanketed the forest floor, so it was only a matter of patience until I tracked Zas down. I was sneaking, and the darkness of night allowed me to inch my way behind Zas. With that done, I wound up a heavy strike and lopped off the coward's head. I stripped the goods off of Zas, returned to Zasit, cut a few trees with my axe, and built a small sort of mausoleum, in which I put the body of Zasit, his weapons, and what I had taken from Zas. I then set the grass around the mausoleum on fire. Unfortunately, it didn't spread at all, which was somewhat disappointing, but it didn't burn out either, so I still think Zasit got the burial he deserved.

That's where my story more or less ended. I, alone, trekked to my fort, took out a few zombies, and retired after claiming lordship. Unfortunately, my game now crashes whenever I try to load that world up, so I was never actually able to play a dwarven fortress ruled by a Gorlak.

It was inevitable.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15227 on: July 16, 2018, 03:20:24 am »

Killed a goblin with a vermin fish. *slap*
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15228 on: July 16, 2018, 06:06:49 pm »

I think I've found the worst town in Dwarf Fortress.

In the town of Brushmysteries are:
--a castle made of silver, where the elven lord sits on a throne of gold.
--a temple
--a warehouse consisting of a single room full of weapons
--a market with eight merchants in it, all selling rhyollite tables
--a tavern with the floor space of a living room
--a well
--and this house:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As near as I can tell every citizens of the town lives in this one house. In this picture there are 80+ people stuffed into that room; most of them are naked and covered in blood and vomit (after a fight with two goblins). And the house isn't even in the town proper, it's on the outskirts.

Now, when the lord lives in a silver castle and all the citizens live in a one-bedroom hut like some death camp nightmare, I'd say you have a bit of an imbalance in your society. Maybe it's no wonder those goblins tried to start an insurrection.
Hahaha, that's amazing. What is the average citizen's opinion of their lord and lifestyle?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15229 on: July 17, 2018, 03:18:57 am »

...Neither. Flying and web spinning are unrelated actions. It's a sheep with wings and a spider abdomen. :P
Obviously it flies unaided like a super sheep, and spins thread from it's wool.

To elaborate, the pale devils are giant pink nose-less sheep with wings that of stretched skin. The are ravening, spray webs, and have "long, straight hair" ----> Baaaaaad

I'll just leave this right here. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15230 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:47 am »

Hahaha, that's amazing. What is the average citizen's opinion of their lord and lifestyle?

Well the lord, Xetan Brownsneaks, was killed shortly after my arrival. I found his body and severed hand outside the tower, but no one would tell me what happened. So I went inside the keep and talked to this guy:

Now the town is run by the local crime ring, the League of Bowls, with the overlord Fensast in charge. My guess is that Dur is a goblin agent sent to overthrow the lord and install a puppet ruler. No doubt the goblins are preparing to invade the Hopeful Empire once they've destabilized our government.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15231 on: July 17, 2018, 10:22:24 am »

Just arrived to a deserted human town, full of abandoned houses and shops (with lots of goodies lying around). The town was surrounded by many camps filled with refugees. Turns out this place was conquered by goblins not long ago (about a year after the worldgen). The only surviving citizens were a group of outcasts living in a dungeon below the keep - their chieftain died, aiding the people above in defense against the goblins. This is my first time playing as an adventurer and I absolutely love seeing how the world changes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #15232 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:44 pm »

I snatched a spear from a kobold's hands... and she vanished. Shh, DF, the magic update isn't supposed to be out yet.

Also, my ambushing skill is apparently high enough that I can sneak between a kobold's legs without being noticed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:35:29 pm by Eschar »

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15233 on: July 19, 2018, 10:17:33 pm »

I became a vampire and am now looking for fun things to do.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15234 on: July 20, 2018, 03:53:22 am »

This is my first real adventure mode character. I've messed around a little to get used to the controls and everything, but now Im really playing.

I am playing as a Jaguar woman. Took a quest to go fight a "monstrous serpent" in an abandoned desert shrine.

This serpent has killed my liege lady's older brother and cousin, not to mention dozens of citizens and many more cattle.

I took my two companions with me, Uda and Gido. Both are humans, I've known them for a long time. Uda is an accomplished swordsman, who battles with a bronze executioner's sword. She's quite big and strong. Gido is a skirmisher, using enchanted iron darts.

So I found the shrine, and it's, like, in a bowl, surrounded by sloped cliffs. A dead dwarf skeleton is already there, and I find the serpent. It's some sort of hideous monster with the body of a massive serpent and a humanoid torso. Like a regular snake person, but much larger.
She's already heavily wounded. Her neck is mangled and her body is cut up. I get cocky. I just walk straight up and start throwing my silver javelins at her. She dodges every one of them, which worries me a bit. She's moving very fast. I dodge out of the way and she goes straight for Uda.

So while She's keeping her busy, I start throwing my javelins at her back. A couple of them hit, it's going well. For about ten seconds. Then she just starts tearing Uda apart with her bare hands and her teeth. Every punch breaks bones, she tears off her left arm and right hand, and just brutally murders her. Then she comes after me. I am armored well, with mostly iron gear. I have a silver scimitar and an enchanted iron buckler (I dunno what "enchanted" does but I assume it's good)

What follows is a thirty minute duel for my life. It was fucking insane. The ONLY reason I am alive is because of that buckler and my armor. For the first half of the fight, I couldn't hit her at all, she was appallingly fast. She dodged every swipe of my sword.

At one point I botched a dodge, and I thought it was all over. She hit me in my left thigh so hard that she twisted my back and injured my lower spine. I couldn't stand up. I was just lying on the ground, desperately fending off her blows with my shield. But eventually, she started tiring herself out. Moving a little slower, dodging just a hair too late, and I managed to start getting some glancing blows. Nothing serious, just taking off a few scales here and there. This went on for a while. At one point she hit me in the head, and my helmet saved my skull from just imploding. Finally, she exhausted herself enough that she fell on the ground and couldn't stand up. Now we were both on the ground, flailing away at each other. Scrambling to roll out of the way of deadly blows, blocking her attacks one after the other. As she got more and more exhausted, I started getting some real hits in. Smacking her with my buckler managed to bruise organs and wound both of her hands. I was finally able to lay into her with my sword without risk of being immediately knocked off balance, and my slices and slashes started to actually draw blood.

Finally, after thirty minutes of constant battle, she passed out on the ground. I immediately crawled over and slashed at her already-mangled neck until I managed to decapitate her. I still can't stand up. My companion Uda is dead, and it seems like Gido ran away before the fighting even started. Im going to track him down and tear his throat out with my teeth.

But I completed my quest, and the beast is slain.

Oh by the way did I mention that she's been attacking me with Uda's ropeweed thong and  dress this whole time?

Not wearing them.

Using them as weapons.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15235 on: July 21, 2018, 01:57:05 pm »

I want to save and share that story because its awesome.

And regarding the enchanted iron, its really only another normal metal. Its got slight advantages over regular iron as material properties go, but its only other important attribute is that many magical creatures are weak to it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #15236 on: July 21, 2018, 06:24:23 pm »

The forest retreat of Eagledoor is being attacked by an army. After some asking around in Hairstrokes, the only human city in this 30-year-old world, I found that the army hails from Hairstrokes itself, and is led by my nemesis, vampire Kupe Robustromance.

...yes, the vampire that I killed (by biting attacks) some four weeks ago.

Well.

Not only that, but though Kupe, naturally, is not ruling in the keep, nobody else is either. Not even a random Lady whom I found as I prowled the streets and houses of Hairstrokes. No lawgivers either. Somehow, the actions of my previous adventurers (one of whom ruled the city) have seriously messed up Hairstrokes' political structure.

I want to use this situation to my own advantage. I don't know how, but I has to be some way I can exploit this. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:29:40 pm by Eschar »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15237 on: July 21, 2018, 07:49:49 pm »

Declare yourself lord, go to the keep. Recruit people as hearthpersons. Force out other lords who attempt to take control. Make sure that Lady claims a different location, not yours.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Top Hat Zebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15238 on: July 21, 2018, 10:00:37 pm »

And regarding the enchanted iron, its really only another normal metal. Its got slight advantages over regular iron as material properties go, but its only other important attribute is that many magical creatures are weak to it.

Haha, go ahead. And that’s good to know about the enchanted iron. Even if it’s only slightly better, I still just like the idea of carrying around enchanted weapons. It makes it sound more adventurous!

Unfortunately, I think I ran into a bug with my jaguar woman. I tried to become a vampire, but drinking the blood seems to have, somehow, inexplicably, made me simultaneously both a vampire and NOT a vampire. I was starving, thirsty for water and blood, and getting tired and drowsy, but I couldn’t quench my thirst for water or fill my stomach with food, so I was just constantly weak.

So I started a new character. This time just a regular human woman, from a nation called the Confederation of Pine. I immediately defiled a temple and was “cursed” with superhuman abilities, immortality, the ability to detect living creatures, and the ability to forgo basic human needs with no ill effect. Curse???

Once I became a vampire, I decided I wanted to learn magic next. I was luckily very close to a mage’s tower. I traveled deep into the desert until I came upon the magical structure. Inside I met the Master, a dwarf named Edem. An interesting character, he’s over 150 years old, and gained magic after he took up the worship of a Gorlak deity named Shedim the Deepsilver. Shedim blessed Edem with a bronze tablet giving him the “secrets of the underground.” Edem then built a tower and took on apprentices, including an elf, two goblins, and, strangely, a mountain goat woman.

Unfortunately, it turns out that the bronze tablet had been stolen over a decade ago by a conniving Kobold. On the positive side, the kobold’s lair was only a half day’s walk to the north.

I traveled to the lair, which had a really grand name that I cannot quite remember, something along the lines of “the Deep Dwelling of Champions.”

I couldn’t for the life of me discover the entrance, and as the lair contained nearly a thousand kobolds as well as two hundred cave sliders and two hundred snakes (skull snakes or something? I haven’t played enough to memorize the creatures, sorry!) I didn’t want to spend too much time there.

I carved directly down into the tunnels and simply jumped inside. My attempt at communication was rebuked (my game crashed) so I just skipped straight to the slaying. Kobolds, it turns out, are much weaker than I expected. Using my enchanted iron flail, I simply struck each one in the head, killing them instantly whenever they got in my way, feeding on their blood with impunity. I killed over 80 kobolds before I found their treasure room. There, I took many rough gems, some sort of artifact statue, as well as two tablets! One was the bronze tablet of the Secrets of Underground that I had been seeking, while another was a stone slate created by a dwarf deity of volcanoes and mountains, which granted me the magic ability to fling rocks at people really, really hard. It is extremely useful.

After slowly, painstakingly crawling back out of the caverns, weighed down by giant stone blocks, I traveled back to the tower. I told Edem about my triumphant quest to reclaim the sacred magical tablet gifted to him by his god. He said he had no opinion about that.

Okay, Edem, I guess I’ll keep it then.

Now I have a new goal for my immortal life. I discovered an abandoned dwarf fortress not far to the east from Edem’s tower. It is apparently the lair of the forgotten beast that ran the dwarves off, and, coincidentally enough, the tablet containing the Secrets of Metal was lost in the fortress during the attack. I will slay this beast, take the tablet as my own, and then build my own magical tower. My goal is to collect all of the divine magic in the world, learn it all, take on apprentices, and then become a god.

Should be simple enough unless I fall in a pit or get frozen in the ocean or a dog bites me in the brain.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:22:04 pm by Top Hat Zebra »

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15239 on: July 21, 2018, 10:46:14 pm »

Haha, go ahead. And that’s good to know about the enchanted iron. Even if it’s only slightly better, I still just like the idea of carrying around enchanted weapons. It makes it sound more adventurous!

Unfortunately, I think I ran into a bug with my jaguar woman. I tried to become a vampire, but drinking the blood seems to have, somehow, inexplicably, made me simultaneously both a vampire and NOT a vampire. I was starving, thirsty for water and blood, and getting tired and drowsy, but I couldn’t quench my thirst for water or fill my stomach with food, so I was just constantly weak.

So I started a new character. This time just a regular human woman, from a nation called the Confederation of Pine. I immediately defiled a temple and was “cursed” with superhuman abilities, immortality, the ability to detect living creatures, and the ability to forgo basic human needs with no ill effect. Curse???

Once I became a vampire, I decided I wanted to learn magic next. I was luckily very close to a mage’s tower. I traveled deep into the desert until I came upon the magical structure. Inside I met the Master, a dwarf named Edem. An interesting character, he’s over 150 years old, and gained magic after he took up the worship of a Gorlak deity named Shedim the Deepsilver. Shedim blessed Edem with a bronze tablet giving him the “secrets of the underground.” Edem then built a tower and took on apprentices, including an elf, two goblins, and, strangely, a mountain goat woman.

Unfortunately, it turns out that the bronze tablet had been stolen over a decade ago by a conniving Kobold. On the positive side, the kobold’s lair was only a half day’s walk to the north.

I traveled to the lair, which had a really grand name that I cannot quite remember, something along the lines of “the Deep Dwelling of Champions.”

I couldn’t for the life of me discover the entrance, and as the lair contained nearly a thousand kobolds as well as two hundred cave sliders and two hundred snakes (skull snakes or something? I haven’t played enough to memorize the creatures, sorry!) I didn’t want to spend too much time there.

I carved directly down into the tunnels and simply jumped inside. My attempt at communication was rebuked (my game crashed) so I just skipped straight to the slaying. Kobolds, it turns out, are much weaker than I expected. Using my enchanted iron flail, I simply struck each one in the head, killing them instantly whenever they got in my way, feeding on their blood with impunity. I killed over 80 kobolds before I found their treasure room. There, I took many rough gems, some sort of artifact statue, as well as two tablets! One was the bronze tablet of the Secrets of Underground that I had been seeking, while another was a stone slate created by a dwarf deity of volcanoes and mountains, which granted me the magic ability to fling rocks at people really, really hard. It is extremely useful.

After slowly, painstakingly crawling back out of the caverns, weighed down by giant stone blocks, I traveled back to the tower. I told Edem about my triumphant quest to reclaim the sacred magical tablet gifted to him by his god. He said he had no opinion about that.

Okay, Edem, I guess I’ll keep it then.

Now I have a new goal for my immortal life. I discovered an abandoned dwarf fortress not far to the east from Edem’s tower. It is apparently the lair of the forgotten beast that ran the dwarves off, and, coincidentally enough, the tablet containing the Secrets of Metal was lost in the fortress during the attack. I will slay this beast, take the tablet as my own, and then build my own magical tower. My goal is to collect all of the divine magic in the world, learn it all, take on apprentices, and then become a god.

Should be simple enough unless I fall in a pit or get frozen in the ocean or a dog bites me in the brain.

I'm pretty sure you can't have multiple secrets at one time (or at least you can't have more than 2).
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1103