Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994727 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15315 on: October 07, 2018, 03:11:35 pm »

Story purposes I would imagine - no adventure mode mounts until the next update.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15316 on: October 07, 2018, 03:26:38 pm »

Story purposes I would imagine - no adventure mode mounts until the next update.

Ah, good to know, thanks! There's a lot of Warcraft mounts to add when the update finally comes but the benefits of them is a whole bunch of fun I imagine. Especially with larger mounts and mounts that can fly. I'm imagining a smaller creature riding a much larger mount to charge and jump into a foe to cause all sorts of falling and tumbling down mayhem of hilarity of epic proportions.

Anyhow, we'll see. I'll definitely look into adding a mount of my own.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:33:41 pm by Droggarth »
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #15317 on: October 07, 2018, 05:28:15 pm »

Well, most of the creatures in my packs that would make for good mounts (or are actually used as mounts in WC3/WoW) already do have the tokens for it, though I'm gonna have to add choppers and goblin hotrods once it is out.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15318 on: October 08, 2018, 06:48:36 am »

That's great! Always good to be prepared. Flying around in a chopper sure caught my imagination.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:51:15 am by Droggarth »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #15319 on: October 08, 2018, 07:34:40 am »

I meant choppers in the sense of bikes. I already gyrocopters and flying machines as gnome pets though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15320 on: October 08, 2018, 03:02:54 pm »

Im having trouble finding anything like semi megabeasts or night creatures in my immediate area, so ive been wandering between towns looking for nearby targets. Theres like one bandit camp far off to the north and one a few days south, and i just killed the only vampire in the area. I murdered a dozen or so people under an alter ego and now people are looking for that namesake, but the only witnesses who had actually seen me will never see me again, because im moving on.

Hopefully find a leviathan or mountain boar or something equally tough to challenge, but so far all the ones i know of are weeks travel away in foreign lands i dont have a map for, so its going to be an adventure for sure.

I wanted to test how tough master sorcerors will be. I need to actually find one though. Theyre technically a semi megabeast so i think only cultures living nearby to them will know where to find them
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:39:38 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15321 on: October 08, 2018, 03:41:16 pm »

I meant choppers in the sense of bikes. I already gyrocopters and flying machines as gnome pets though.

Oh, for some reason bikes didn't occur to me and I thought of gyrocopters instead.

I've finally managed to get my kill count up to 325. About 120-140 I got from three blood elf civs with blood elf town civ having the most blood elves. However most of the kills I got from two twilight cultist civs that composed of twilight cultists, twilight zealots, chosen cultists, air ascendants, earth ascendants, water ascendants, hill ettins, gemstone colossi, twilight dragonspawn, twilight drakonids, twilight drakonar and twilight dragonkin. The later six creatures still keep re-appearing in some houses I've already been to in one twilight cultist hamlet civ. The only odd place so far where new npcs seem to be generating just like in a dark fort or a vault. Never had this happen before outside of those two places, yikes.

The first twilight cultist civ I went to had a zealot blessed warrior who held an artifact adamantine slab which most likely contains the secret of becoming a blessed warrior I imagine. That makes two items now in my inventory that can grant my adventuress powers. I haven't made her either a pyromancer or a blessed warrior yet since raw strength and edged weaponry are more than enough so far.

Im having trouble finding anything like semi megabeasts or night creatures in my immediate area, so ive been wandering between towns looking for nearby targets.

I feel ya, in previous worlds I had I didn't have much luck finding someone who could point me to locations of beasts, which led me to my massacre playthrough world I'm currently on. Every time now when I get an npc telling me of a beast and that npc doesn't know its location.. I am almost inclined to just outright kill that npc for basically bothering me for nothing, sure.. knowledge of a beast existing is all fine and dandy but it's not really much of use to me if I can't go kill it because of lack of information. Killed many upon many blood elves for not knowing the location of beasts they kept talking about in the first blood elf civ I went to.

edit: Made a trek to the only draenei civ in my world after killing some geists, wights and wildlife around my octagon shaped land-bunker-fort made out of my zilir-cap in my Dreamshell camp. I should've set a lower savagery but I sure ranked up about a hundred more kills which I wasn't intending to get. Decided the hell with it though and left for the long trip, I gotta find a proper place of settlement which has to be much closer to the draenei hamlet 'Nourishednurtured' anyway and I also need to find a secure place in that future camp to store named artifacts. I don't need some random creature hauling them who-knows-where like in my previous camp (damn geists!). Anyhow I'm now known as the protector of the defenceless, legendary/infamous killer, epic storyteller but considered unhinged which is understandable due to how much fights I started. There are no vindicators/lords so I can't get to be a peacekeeper/hearthperson there yet and the only ruler there is a cute prophetess. Right next to Nourishednurtured though is a friendly kobold hamlet 'Budkiss' where kobolds have learned to talk.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:27:53 pm by Droggarth »

Slozgo Luzma

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP Emeg Orglebeamed, the Domination of Castles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15322 on: October 12, 2018, 08:56:21 pm »

Finally got my mod-mess to a point that world's don't crash after the first 50 years of worldgen, so I sent out a disciple to poke around and do my bidding. To summarize this world, a big mountain range splits most of the world in half from north to south, and there is a body of land bordering two seas south of this range, along the equator. Three civilizations of dwarves (2 vanilla, 1 grey dwarf) on either side of the mountains have fallen by the year 552 and humanity has been pushed to the brink of extinction, overrun by elves, goblins and orcs. Two elf civs dominate east and west with their war elephants and treants, while barely under half of the world's 16000 civilized creatures are Orcs. Dark elves, Saurians, and Naga vie for power in the southwest, while High elves have overthrown their Goblin adversaries and maintain an uneasy peace with their one-time allies of the woodland flavor. The last human civilization is held out in the tomb of its first master, an Old One who was slain defending the capital by an enormous tree monster before it was overthrown and pillaged by elves, the inhabitants mercilessly devoured by the pointed-ear hellspawn. Most of this civilization seems to live in exile in a kobold cave located on a volcanic island to the west, while the current master of the civ shares a tomb with a nomadic dark elf group (which includes the exiled Dark Queen of that civ, incidentally, who was replced by two consecutive minotaurs within the span of one year). My shadowmancer disciple's objective is to clear the world's five dwarf fortresses of their megabeast denizens while becoming a lord of this human civilization and reclaiming empty hamlets in their name. Perhaps humanity will become restored, given time.

The journey began in a high
 elf hamlet in the temperate east and Felini was belittled and insulted by the mercenaries who had recently reclaimed the village when he asked them to join him. Felini asked peasants for directions and found a well-travelled ranger to tell him about the surrounding area and local troubles. He then set out for the High Elf capital in Summerguilds. There he met the High Queen, Iki Birdbean, and joined up with her well-travelled grandson, Emora Quenchlamped. He desired three artifacts lost in a forest retreat to the north, which had been destroyed by a Bronze Collossus a couple of years previous. Two other high elves were recruited for the excursion. We searched the entire breadth of the abandoned enclave, even going so far as to hunt along the tree-tops, but no such luck. perhaps the rumors are dated, or the artifacts are truly lost.

We did run into a spouse of a starving monster on the way back, however, and slew him as he arrived on his doorstep. His wife and brother-husband rushed out angrily, and in the ensuing melee my companions were battered roundly. Felini feels a special need to protect Emora since he is well connected, has many relatives and seems to count as an important character in the grand scheme of things, and at one point he was cornered and being strangled by one horror while the other rained blows with its claws upon his body. Felini was desperate and had dropped his sword several feet away, so he channeled his inner shadowmancy and assumed his shadow form. Like a prop on a theater set folding away, Felini seemed to drop away, his armor and clothes piling where he stood, while the faint shadow that he cast in the dying twilight illumination rose from the ground and grew bolder, darker. He was a Shadow (with a capital S). I put on some punk (Black Veil Brides) and Felini grabbed each horror with his shadow claws and flung them into the air, preparing to aid his allies in executing them.

Then he saw the peculiar way in which Emora, Quecha, and Kifino were looking at him, and realized what a miscalculation he had made. Obviously, in such a situation, fighting creatures of the night, they could only assume one thing upon seeing their acquaintance disappear and become replaced by an unnatural abomination: he was now their enemy.

Felini rolled away from a blow from Kifino and recovered his sword from the ground, he proceeded to sidestep Quecha and Emora and dispatch both night creatures before rushing off into the forest. Some time later he returned (mysteriously healed of all his wounds) and invented a tale about finding himself in the middle of the forest far away after he confronted a shadow abomination that had appeared out of nowhere, and his companions seemed to accept his bizarre tale.

They recovered some goods from the cave, including a rare, ancient, tome of the planes that one monster had been using instead of a mortar to grind up victims. Felini led the elves around the surrounding countryside to explore the human and high  elven ruins that remained from the goblin wars. They recovered some useful equipment including a partial set of bronze armor for Filino, which he supplemented with some armor made from the bones of a wolf. Now geared up like a greek hoplite with a wolf's skull upon his head, Felini pointed out some ancient human Pyramids lying upon the plain. Since no one seemed to be using them, and since human-sized gear was hard to come by, Felini asked his companions to wait outside as he entered the tomb. The path to treasure was short, and Felini recovered some fine silk garments to wear, but as he climbed the stairs he was confronted by an angry mummy, a curse, and a fight for his life. Eventually Felini prevailed despite the occasional critical failure. He is a demigod, after all, and thankfully the only reanimation targets in the room were the mummy's own body parts as Felini hacked them off with his mithril sword and the tip of his gold-banded enchanted iron spear. When the creature hacked off his arm with its bronze carving knife, Felini was able to assume his shadow form without worrying about his companions.

Felini left with one more treasure, having dumped the mummy's remains back in its sarcophagus (out of respect, of course) , a cobalt helmet encrusted with many fine gems and artistic scenes in opal and sapphire, and crowned by a single Tear of the Mountain, an extremely valuable and rare magical gemstone.

After exploring several tiny hamlets, the party returned, well equipped and well explored, to the High Elf capital of Summerguilds. Felini presented the high queen with several gifts recovered from abroad and was granted permission to take a fine steel double-bladed polearm, a versatile weapon in the hands of a spearman and characteristic of the High Elf infantryelf. After a night of sleeping and feasting, the party made ready to set off West in search of the riches far from this war-torn land.

On the way, the party recruited two more high elf bowelves from the expeditionary force that had settled a hamlet to the west. These belonged to the much smaller sister civilization of Felini's travelling companions, whose high queen ruled from a hamlet nearby.

The company of five passed a shrine in the middle of a forest of great redwood trees and poplars, and decided to investigate. Ruined pillars jutted from around a small ampitheater-shaped hillock, and sneaking over the crest, Felini spied a great hairy Rove Beetle, a feared titan of the forests which belched toxic fumes from its abdomen. This creature had terrorized many of those who did not make peace with nature, and Felini resolved to slay this beast himself and reap the glory that this feat would shower upon him.

Directing his melee-oriented companions to stand some distance back, Felini crept around the other side of the ampitheater-shaped hillock where the creature was standing in inscrutable contemplation of the years, accompanied by his bow-wielding companions. Directing them to stand some distance back, Felini drew his polearm and shield and stealthily approached the creature. It noticed him sooner than he would have liked as he darted between pillars, and he charged boldly forward, poised to strike.

A volley of mithril bodkin arrows battered harmlessly off the being's hairy exoskeleton and a swipe of the creature's foreleg flung the shield from Felini's hand and his arm was pounded into a bloody pulp, while a stab of its leg punctured a lung and a tail swipe connected with Felini's head and fractured his skull. Clouds of toxic green gas issued from the beast's abdomen and Felini was glad that his powered allowed him to breath of the stuff of shadows as his skin blistered and flashed with pain.     Stars exploded behind his eyes and adrenaline coursed through his body as the creature annihilated his left leg with another strike and gripped his other arm in its mandibles and shook him around wildly, flinging his body, sans his left arm, into a pillar. Most of his bones fractured, spraying blood from the bloody stumps of his limbs and other wounds, Felini was horrified, but not yet dismayed. He was a shadowmancer, after all. He assumed shadow form and drew his iron and silver spears, hastily donning bits of armor as the creature approached. Now he would put this force of nature in its place!

A single blow flung Felini out of the shrine's premises, shattering the shadow substance of most of his body. Felini had forgotten that in shadow form he weighed next-to-nothing, and his limp body tumbled wildly like an uneven wheel along the ground, leaving a trail of disconnected shadow limbs inside of their armor pieces until Felini slammed into the base of a grand Redwood tree, utterly defeated and left with only his left arm, ready be reabsorbed by primordial shadow should he suffer so much as the touch of a feather. And now the titan was plowing towards him.

Felini dragged his body as fast as he could using his single arm, and somehow he lost the monster as he dodged between trees. He wandered around for a couple minutes until his body regained its material form, complete with all of his old limbs nad hastily returned to the shrine, fearing what might happen to his companions. He arrived to see that they had blatantly disobeyed his orders and were engaged in combat with the monster, the archers ineffectually raining arrows down upon its adamant carapace while Quecha had lost a hand and had her tailbone broken while Kifino was kneeling on his shattered leg, shielding Quecha with his spear readied and defiant as the titan bore down on him.

There was no time to lose. Butt naked, Felini sprinted to where his elven polearm lay as the titan barreled into kifino and fractured his spear arm. Turning now and weaving between pillars to intervene, Felini leapt over the crest of the shrine as the titan swatted the shield from Kifino's now shattered hand. He swung for the soft tissue on the beast's neck but some twist of the strings of fate seemed to turn his blade away at the last moment, and it met only steely chitin.

That was Felini's last chance. He could not sustain any more hits from this beast since he could only summon his shadow form once each day. Shadow is a finite resource, after all, and the world had to be recharged with a full day of light and shadow for such powers to be drawn upon. Felini prepared to meet his fate fighting and hoped for a swift death, wishing that he had some god to pray to and wishing he knew the identity of his divine parent. His thoughts were interrupted, however by a flash of movement to his right. Looking around, he saw Kifino yelling, arm outstretched and leaping through the air. The elf was enraged, and tumbling onto the creature's drove his nails and fist into the soft tissue behind its neck.

The monster did not die and go limp. It did not pkunge into wild death throes. It drove  a limb into Kifino's spine and shattered his tailbone, and then it's head came off in a shower of ichor. It was over, and Kifino lay, paralyzed from the waist down, basking in glory and hemolymph.

The company dragged itself to a nearby abandoned village and spent the night there, licking its unspeakable, irrecoverable wounds.

They set back out again at first light, returning to the shrine and picking through the treasures that were to be had. They then set out on a northwestern heading and met an antman  hunter in the woods, whom they persuaded to join on their travels with the promise of seeing the wild places of the world. Near sunset they         came to the old Dark Fortress of Fiendmaligned, once the seat of a great demon and his goblin legions. It lay on the border of a terrifying forest full of undead animals, from which the frosty blue blood of frost giants snowed from the sky and mysterious clouds inflicted unspeakable scourges upon innocent mortals. The party explored the tower, its old garrison and throne room where a demon lord once directed campaigns of terror upon nearby communities. In the dungeons they found a series of chambers leading deep underground, but such an aura of foreboding came from those depths that Felini dared not venture further.

They camped for the night and set out again across the vast unpeopled wilds that separated east and west, skirting around the evil wasteland in the fertile foothills of the world-dividing mountains. Several camps were set up along the way and various creatures both fantastic and Mundane were encountered. Fights were had with crawling gingko trees and wax men, trollkin, dire wolves, giant mastodons, dingoes, wolves, xen, and wendigoes.

Four days later the company finally arrived in a small dark elf frontier town. The archon was amenable and shared many local troubles and geographical information. He directed Felini to a saurian hunter who was widely travelled and Felini learned much of the ways of things as they happen in the west. The Archon's hall was a veritable den of thieves, with snatchers, thieves, mercenaries, and criminals lounging around among piles of plundered goods and artifacts. Felini traded some goods found at the shrine in exchange for a demented athame since he recognized the need to diversify his magical knowledge, and he had only three tools necessary to learn the magical arts. Now he could begin hos training. Quecha was in a terrible state and becoming increasingly depressed despaired of her condition. The party decided to leave her safely in the Archon's residence and recruited two mercenaries: a dark-elf raised saurian swordsman clad in the dark elves' exotic materials, and an "undying" lasher: some sort of product of a lost underground civilization's weapons research program that smelled really bad. With this party Felini intended to make contact with the Naga, Saurians, and Fae of this land before moving for the liberation of humanity from the elven yoke and cleaning the profaned dwarf holds of the north.

But first there was the matter of the bone-chilling horror going on in the tower to the north-east. The archon complained of disturbing goings-on in those parts, and Felini was concerned that whatever enterprise was being undertaken down there could threaten the restoration of humanity and dwarfkind. So Felini took his party up northeast and approached the tower's entrance. Suddenly an ungodly moaning issued from the doors and Felini, who knew a thing or two, expected to be faced with the walking dead. But instead something more horrific emerged: hundreds (yes hundreds) of flying undead heads with long, ghastly teeth and an insatiable appetite for flesh. Felini despaired at the sight, but as  battle was joined, he realized something: despite their numbers and ghastly appearance, the beasts lacked the ability to grasp and strike with weapons or hold the party down, and their biting attacks could not match the company's moderate armor protection. Felini laughed as his company steadily hacked down the spiralling swarm of hungry heads, stepping with difficulty over an enormous mountain of body parts that were gathering at the tower's front doorstep. Swatting the nuisances asid, Felini opened the door to the tower and saw an Abomination Summoner nonchalantly reading a book. He didn't even look up. Felini greeted him and then demanded that he yield. The summoner was cross at that and declined, so Felini hit him over the head with the shaft of his polearm, and the Abomination Summoner began to weep and ran out the door. Eventually Felini and his companions finished the bloody business and built a pyre for the corpses, turning their eyes northward.

EDIT: Playing adventure mode after getting cursed by a mummy is actually pretty fun: as a demigod you can have high skills while still getting into really dangerous situations once in a while, like missing what should be an easy blow, or falling from the top of a redwood tree into a pack of hungry wolves.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:10:16 pm by Slozgo Luzma »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15323 on: October 15, 2018, 03:02:08 pm »

Holy shit.. that Rove Beetle business, yikes. Beasts like that are the reason I created my ischrotaur for, come to think of it. To be able to impose great strength and fear upon much larger creatures, hence the doomsday eldritch nature of my demonic, hairless, broad-bodied and god-like minotaur (the kind that has hooves with digitigrade legs) aka the ischrotaur.

Other than the whole beetle beast fight making me think about my own thing and the reasons for it, this was an interesting read with diverse incidents.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15324 on: October 15, 2018, 03:35:13 pm »

I went on a great journey with my axewoman companion. We murdered a couple night creatures, and ended up spending the night in an elven forest city's tavern. Then i found out the master sorceror i was looking for was actually posing as a deity in one of the towns i had wandered right through. How i failed to visit that particular meadhall in my search for monsters is a mystery.

So i recruit the helpful elf spearwoman who provided me this information and we march back to human civilization to confront him. Dont even make it within 20 tiles of the door before she bursts out in a plume of fire and smoke and starts launching more fireballs at us. I take a fireball to the face. Somehow, i dont catch fire or suffer any other consequences of this, and my companions both block the fireballs launched at them. We slowly wade through the onslaught of projectiles launched at us, including some nasty plague causing phlem and all-powerful freezing liquid, somehow managing to block or dodge all of it. For about 20 tiles. Then my companions both take a fireball to the chest and burst into flames. Since theres nothing i can do to quench their flames, i press on.

The sorceror is faster than me, so as i chase her through the trees i only seem to gain ground when she loses sight of me and decides to stop. Then we came upon a river at the edge of the hamlet, and she turns around and... sets herself on fire trying to launch a fireball or something at me? Despite being entirely fireproof she politely stands perfectly still as i decapitate her and leap over and behind her in one smooth motion. Which felt totally badass. So i get back to my companions. Kaz, the axewoman, was incinerated to the bone by the inferno. Somehow the elf spearmaiden survived despite terrible burns and melted fat across most of her body parts. I take it as a win and give her the good news, and we head inside to see the damage to the lord and hearthpersons.

The lady of the hamlet runs outside still looking for a fight, and while i explain the imposter is dead she doesnt care to take my name, so i repeat the news to the one surviving hearthperson present, who actually listens when i greet him. Gotta get that reputation, ya know? The other hearthperson present was lying in a pile of ashes.

So one megabeast down, i go after a frog-snake chimera a few days travel east. I kill it singlehandedly and make tons of sweet loot out of its bones. Then we go after an ettin in a cave a couple days further south east. For like the first time since the recent kobold site update i actually encounter the ettin in the cave passages as we descended into the caverns. I wasnt expecting this and literally walked into it, thinking that bright red blob (im a vampire) was probably another naked mole dog, which id so far been slaughtering left and right for fun. This turned into a long, drawn out fight where i repeatedly failed to make a fatal wound. The elf was having no better luck, as the beast bit and ripped apart her leg and arms badly, leaving her helpless just as it finally bled to death.

So we went to a nearby elf retreat to recuperate, and i tried to use a reformation spell to regenerate my friends lost arm and motor functions. I then tried to rest/wait while the timer ticked down, and the game crashed. So ill add that to the list of causes of crashes i guess. I hadnt saved since i started this adventure, so, shit...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15325 on: October 17, 2018, 10:23:32 pm »

Met my first mask-wearer today. A human prisoner. In an iron mask.

But she's a not a man, and is being held by goblins in the middle of an overnight camp. So not quite historically accurate. 
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15326 on: October 31, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »

I've only had failed adventurers, but I've found that this world has a massive good region with pockets of extreme evil. I started as an outsider in a dwarven tower because I haven't played in so long that I forgot what they contained, and after escaping with my life I found the area immersed in benign forest. I traveled toward settlements that shouldn't exist in forests of featherwood, unicorns and sun berries, and found each one inhabited by malevolent dead.

The only living civilization was goblin, dark pits and two fortresses, one slade. I ended up dying in the pits, speared in the hamstring while coming down the stairs and left no choice but to fight to my death.

Shut Up and Let me Draw!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15327 on: November 01, 2018, 05:01:57 pm »

It's been a while (I've ditched adventure mode to try running a fort), but in my last adventure, I lost a group of elven refugees on the top of a Dwarven fortress.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15328 on: November 01, 2018, 08:00:43 pm »

I've only had failed adventurers

What other kind of adventurer can exist in DF, exactly? :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15329 on: November 02, 2018, 12:49:21 pm »

The human town I started in turned out to be elven occupied, so no booze. These elves have done a really good job seizing territory from both human empires on this landmass, driving one to the brink of extinction and the other to the further half of the island, so it's gonna be a long walk to any booze. I'm part of their civilization (and it took a long time to find a one-syllable elven name,) so at least the animals don't pester me and don't run away when I decapitate them. I'm going to have to make my own clothes and armor again, because even the human homes have nothing but small sizes. Brown recluse spider silk is readily available, so I have some really nice socks.

It's summer at the equator, so I can train swimming without dread of ice. The city also has a massive library that I've begun my scholarship career in. Unfortunately the area is otherwise uneventful; there are no monster lairs around and a full moon has come and gone without prowling werebeasts. While watching for them, one stationary dot on the outskirts of town remained night and day. On investigating I encountered a lone elven questant seeking an artifact bronze helm for a night creature spouse in the town west of mine. He was certain the helm was in my city, but no one knew anything about it. I decided I wanted it for myself, but the only lead I had was the creature. So I ventured west, to the last vestige of one of the previous human nations.

The old city's Inn was open and full, but sadly lacking in refreshments, making me wish I had put the quest for booze first. I declined a room from the innkeeper, but learned that the night creature lives in the sewers, and the last known location of the helm was with a dwarf in a fortress much further east. I wasn't ready for the sewers, but booze lay in the direction of the helm, so I chose that for my next destination. I hadn't put any time into weapon development so far, but on the way out of the city my curiosity overcame my prudence and I investigated one of the dots outside the walls. First fight of the game: a reptile woman vampire!

The best I could do was block with my wooden shield and dodge, lashing out with my copper dagger each time I saw an opening. I was getting slowly better, but unfortunately she was getting better too, and landed a nice shot on my torso, bruising my lung. I kept dodging down the road with the hope that I could recover my breath enough to fight, and must have dodged half a region tile away before I neared an open shaft across the road. Since that was my best hope for escape, took a sprinting leap into it, remembering . I fell far enough before getting a successful hold that I could blend into the dark, then continued repelling down to a cavern layer, where I could safely rest an hour.

So this is where I am now; alive in a strange cavern under a strange town, with 3 days worth of food and ~1 day worth of water.
Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 1103