Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994928 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15360 on: November 24, 2018, 02:32:46 pm »

Literally every sentient I've seen is a Vampire what happened in this world?

Post the save on dffd. I wanna know too!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15361 on: November 24, 2018, 05:21:33 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #15362 on: November 24, 2018, 06:16:47 pm »

Name your next adventurer Van Helsing.

You know what to do next.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15363 on: November 24, 2018, 08:33:36 pm »

Generated a new world spawned as a human poet/bard/dancer tried to raid a necromancer tower
with my troupe multiple times but all attempts ended in crashes. will upload world of (van helsing?) numerous vampires in a region  when I return home to my PC. Link to world: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14127
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 01:08:44 am by Truncatedurist »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15364 on: November 28, 2018, 07:11:24 am »

This is giving me Cabinet of Dr. Caligari vibes...
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: December 08, 2018, 12:05:22 pm »

I started an Elf Peasant who uses a bow. I always wanted to try ranged combat. My name is Histek Hopetwinkle. I've always faced discrimination for my elvish blood.  I'm an orphan living in the slums of the city of Quietglade. I've always had a preference for hard drink. And one day I encountered a fell giant saltwater crocodile named Groovedpencils. I eventually slew the fell beast by shooting it with my arrows and stabbing it in the throat with my dagger. I made some crafts out of its bones which got me enough money to upgrade my dagger to an Iron Carving Knife. I then went to the tavern and got plastered. With me getting free drinks for killing the fell beast. I notice an axewoman in the corner. She introduces herself as Emim Nourishedlove and she wants to go with me on an adventure. I settle my sights on the shrine of a dread-marilith(something I modded in). And we head there. I soon learn how Emim was in grief for her son dying a few years ago. I realized she might have only joined me so she could fufill her death-wish

After 2 days worth of travelling we find ourselves in her shrine. "Snarledsins the Kiss of Smiling" And the dread-marilith Shash Saviourtrust the Glittery Ape had made it her home. Soon her three children rush at Emim and start trying to devour her. Her death was brought about by one named Howlkiss who broke her armour and tore her apart. My death was also swift as Shash poisoned me and knocked me unconcious and devoured me.

Eaten by snake-demons? Smells like Dwarf Fortress! Man I havent played in such a long time.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #15366 on: December 19, 2018, 01:11:46 am »

Playing as a human demigod sue me who I painstakingly rolled the values and chose the personality for until she basically became a psychotic, sadistic, misery-obsessed artist who feels that happiness is awful and that as much misery as possible should be collected and turned into art: Doto Hermitone.

She killed some bandits near effortlessly, got the title Virginal Stranger of Irons (lmao), killed some animals, carved some bone stuff including a ring, killed some more animals, found some ruffians working for the bandits she killed, ran around taunting one about the death of her leader while spitting at her and getting spat at until I figured out I could start a brawl with a punch, brawled effortlessly, then when the commander of the ruffians got enraged and pulled his pike killed both of them, then went to fight an ettin.

I then discovered that a flail may be able to make humans useless, it's kind of completely unable to do any meaningful damage whatsoever against an ettin. Doto blocked several shots and bruised it a bunch until she got tired. Then her fucking leg got punched off. Then her skull got bit in. RIP Doto.

Is there art to be found in this?

Probably not.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15367 on: December 20, 2018, 06:23:19 am »

So finally took my beefed up dwarven necromancer into the local dark tower to make some inquiries about a nearby vault, see if I could get some divine metal. Now I haven't played adventurer in a new versions, and the "state your name" business is new to me. But it seems that not only were they attacking me, they were also attacking their own beak dogs and trolls for failing the checks, so I just strolled through the carnage as they laid into each other, in order to try and chat with the big bad three eyes camel boss.

Unfortunately he was a fire breather and a little fast, as clowns often are.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15368 on: December 20, 2018, 01:36:18 pm »

well poke around a peasant mind to see what info they know through dfhack, and realize they have about 3 people they are knowledgeable of 1 being their god, and 2 humans they known from birth.
starting to think this is probably why folks aren't getting fame, the peasants don't really know or care about the folks you slaughter as to do so they need to greet them

ok uhh it seems this game dialog option stuff is wild
so the "hey go out and kill this person please" doesn't add a monster or the person you need to kill to the peasant's list of folks they know. What does add to the knowledge of a npc in DF is if you press them on finding whereabouts, as it could end up with a I dunno or randomly adding a new historical figure id to that person's list of people they know.
so in doing so reveals npcs don't have any info on the monsters they talk about as it's randomly given to them and probably has some coding to check to see if there anyone in town that knows the whereabouts of said topic if pressed.
so that person with 3 people they know one being a god ended up learning 3 new folks also has a bestiary of 3 being 2 castes of humans and the bark scorpion adventurer that talk to them
said person some how after hearing of ini dreamlearning as someone for a guide ended up knowing that they were their neighbor.

imagine trying to convince folks of an elk you murder when none of them have seen an elk as their bestiary only lists 2 castes of human and probably what type of creature you shown up as.

I might have to swap to a non modded save to see if this is the same or post apoc zombie wasteland peasants don't know what animals are.

so went and loaded up some human lord from a different save and notice they got no clue what anything is even a human.

to note the adventurer bestiary tends to hit 400+ entries

oh uhh minor thing the lord later after moving around updated the bestiary with some humans and a dwarf (and 2 bogeymen races as this is the save with the bogeyman musical group)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #15369 on: December 20, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »

Quote from: Toady One, last FotF reply
2. It's not completely a blank slate.  There's already an opinion survey structure that sits inside of the ent pops which is why you do get some different reactions when asking about local rulers within the same pop (it's supposed to still work, anyway), and that's adopted by elevated hist figs.  Entity linkages also inform them, and they have opinions about the groups to which they belong.  Which is why they'll sometimes jump into fights (if I recollect.)  But it's not very good.  It's possible they might use their religious link; but that depends on how the entities work in the end, and that's not clear yet, as we aren't out of w.g. yet.

it's not completely a blank slate indeed... 3 people, geez.

I wonder then, do you think like, the whole entity's info is being dumped into your questlog when you have an adventurer of that entity? Because from those screens it doesn't seem like they have any site knowledge either(which also explains quite a bit... you'd think they'd at the least know where the town they're trading with it).

Though, I have noticed myself that when my adventurer receive a job or info that figure doesn't get added to the people questlog until I see them, so that does seem normal.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15370 on: December 21, 2018, 06:50:09 am »

Quote from: Toady One, last FotF reply
2. It's not completely a blank slate.  There's already an opinion survey structure that sits inside of the ent pops which is why you do get some different reactions when asking about local rulers within the same pop (it's supposed to still work, anyway), and that's adopted by elevated hist figs.  Entity linkages also inform them, and they have opinions about the groups to which they belong.  Which is why they'll sometimes jump into fights (if I recollect.)  But it's not very good.  It's possible they might use their religious link; but that depends on how the entities work in the end, and that's not clear yet, as we aren't out of w.g. yet.

it's not completely a blank slate indeed... 3 people, geez.

I wonder then, do you think like, the whole entity's info is being dumped into your questlog when you have an adventurer of that entity? Because from those screens it doesn't seem like they have any site knowledge either(which also explains quite a bit... you'd think they'd at the least know where the town they're trading with it).

Though, I have noticed myself that when my adventurer receive a job or info that figure doesn't get added to the people questlog until I see them, so that does seem normal.
yeah the only time they get added is if you press them on the info which then they just know, otherwise they are like newborns that can talk.
also from what I seen of jumping into the bodies of these folks is that if you don't talk to them they don't have a nemesis id which probably stores where the local knowledge and people are.
which means that 3 people probably came up after talking to them and have no personal ties or knowledge of anyone,

getting the civilians to care about each other is a tricky mess given they seem to have no real way to reveal events like someone is in fight with someone unless they were personally attacked, and or seen the death of someone which also requires them to know the person who died and just not their profession, and the person who killed them, which ends up with 'oh it's inevitable' if brought up.

this also might explain the bandits getting adventurer's flack for killing them as they probably historical and known by someone as part of their civ at some point, missing out the tidbit of their actions as they kinda need someone to tell them yeah this person is a brigand. also the rumor or" ask me your troubles" menu just pulls an historical event from the world and tell the player but not make it so the npc who said it know what the words or phrases in that rumor mean.

edit: uhh currently realizing I can just move my campsites around the world and the camp grounds come with. which means one could just personally build a giant fortress or castle and just Move it to you when it's dark out.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:07:01 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #15371 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:13 pm »

edit: uhh currently realizing I can just move my campsites around the world and the camp grounds come with. which means one could just personally build a giant fortress or castle and just Move it to you when it's dark out.
And now we know how Toady is aiming to implement moving castles and floating continents ;)

Quote from: From the last (Jan 2019) FotF:
Syncretism in particular is blocked by the structural issues that are going to be handled in the post-Big-Wait laws/customs/property/subgroups/etc. push.  The data structures right now cannot handle partial linkages and inheritance(-ish) mechanics, which is exactly what syncretism requires to keep the memory footprint under control.  We'll be able to do language drift and hybrid law codes and all sorts of neat stuff as we tackle the structural rewrites.  Right now, even the village/bandit/etc. entities gobble up unwarranted amounts of real estate since they can't build themselves from existing data (beyond certain special cases.)
I guess that is also what is making life real though on fresh histfigs. Though, I suspect it won't truly resolve the fact histfigs just don't generate data unless absolutely necessary.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15372 on: January 03, 2019, 05:22:56 pm »

well floating continent seem to be how this discovery seem to work, with the added bonus of Everything smaller than it will load onto the camp and if you unload it you get to save a copy of it onto the camp. this also includes folks on those sites and their items.

the 'boatcamp' idea seem to allow you to bring your camp with you and with luck take other smaller camps with you through a weird mishmash jigsaw puzzle merge mess that I don't know how or why it works but it works.

so I'm just going around the world on this moving landmass across seas nabbing entire vaults, necrotowers, and lairs and caves to add them to the collection picking up stowaways along the way.

bonus of this is now I have a way to fast travel when ever where ever, as I can bypass the anti-travel message with a script that deletes the message then summon the boat/camp.
this also make it so I can just travel through mountains.

edit: ended up breaching the camp's ceiling and now can build in space.

Oh probably should warn folks that if you get ambushed on your camp and you some how escape it, summoning the camp back will also summon the folks who ambushed you as they are part of the camp now.

edit: well ended up killing a giant bark scorpion by chopping down a tree.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:05:47 am by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15373 on: January 05, 2019, 05:06:02 am »

We are Campers. Prepare to be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15374 on: January 07, 2019, 05:50:51 pm »

I wanted to set up camp for the night near a small lake only to find out it was in fact, the tiniest tiny little ocean I ever saw.
Behold, a screenshot of the entirety of "the stupid waters", cursed ocean:

Water is confirmed to be salt. I killed both the undead horseshoe crabs that lived there.
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1103