Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994596 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15555 on: April 18, 2019, 03:54:30 am »

Told one of my companions that I killed As, a minotaur. I then asked for her opinion of me.

Why is she calling me a killer and legendary hero for killing a minotaur? Why are both of those things not mutually-exclusive? How is it a bad thing that a minotaur, hostile to all life, is dead?

In less baffling news, the severed leg in my inventory is weighing me down, limiting the number of bone figurines that I can bring back home.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: April 18, 2019, 04:19:38 am »

Why is she calling me a killer and legendary hero for killing a minotaur?
Pacifist, perhaps? Approves of the result (the world is safer), but not of the methods (an intelligent being was violently slain)?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #15557 on: April 18, 2019, 04:54:41 am »

Finally arrived at the fort that started this whole adventure, and decided to talk to people so that I could tell them that I killed a roc and minotaur. To test Kagus' theory about pacifism, I decided to tell this guy that I killed a roc first. This is what she thinks of me:

(Sebir Birthyell the Rock of Pelts was a roc, 'legendary hunter' probably comes from having 200 non-notable kills.)

Then I told her that I killed As, the minotaur.

What. Rocs aren't intelligent; I've made around 200 figurines out of the bones of Sebir!

It turns out that killing that roc gave me enough reputation to get the "Excitement! Adventure!" line on joining.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:22:23 am by methylatedspirit »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15558 on: April 18, 2019, 12:21:52 pm »

Why is she calling me a killer and legendary hero for killing a minotaur? Why are both of those things not mutually-exclusive? How is it a bad thing that a minotaur, hostile to all life, is dead?
Killer is meant in the literal sense. For good or ill, you killed a sentient creature
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #15559 on: April 18, 2019, 02:47:28 pm »

DF people are just very literal when telling you about you reputation. You kill things, you're a killer, that's not something that everyone is capable of and does regularly, so it's an important aspect of your percieved personality aka reputation. Despite whatever negative connotations you have with the word "killer", to DF people it is a purely factual descriptor. If someone believes that killing is sometimes justified, then they can love you and also call you a killer.

TL;DR: She probably doesn't dislike you. She just called you what you are; a hero who kills.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: April 19, 2019, 01:42:58 am »

I rescued a dwarven prisoner named Stodir and returned him to his fortress home. Pretty quickly he found his uncle (who is also his grandfather), fulfilling my adventurer's desire to help somebody for the first time! Hooray!

Stodir immediately ran into an adjacent room and died, apparently the victim of a conflict between the local baron and a visiting lord-consort. Thankfully it happened out of sight so my adventurer is entirely unperturbed by the whole situation.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: April 19, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »

--snip--
Then I told her that I killed As, the minotaur.

What. Rocs aren't intelligent; I've made around 200 figurines out of the bones of Sebir!
--snip--
DF people are just very literal when telling you about you reputation. You kill things, you're a killer, that's not something that everyone is capable of and does regularly, so it's an important aspect of your percieved personality aka reputation. Despite whatever negative connotations you have with the word "killer", to DF people it is a purely factual descriptor. If someone believes that killing is sometimes justified, then they can love you and also call you a killer.

TL;DR: She probably doesn't dislike you. She just called you what you are; a hero who kills.

Correct. You only need to be worried if the NPC calls you a murderer.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #15562 on: April 20, 2019, 01:08:57 am »

I've made a huge mistake trying to recruit goblins from some goblin settlements. I'm not sure what happened, but my companion count dropped from 15(?) to 2.

It says 3, but b and c are duplicated. Did I trigger a loyalty cascade by recruiting people from warring civs?

Anyway, here's two goblins who forgot their own names the moment I greeted them.

If I remember correctly, I recruited Snodub, dying shortly after. The swordsman was "on an important mission" and was killed by my companions.

While I don't have the images to prove it, I managed to bamboozle a goblin into joining me, before getting killed by the rest of my companions.

The general point I'm trying to make is that something happened, then it got killed by my companions.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:23:27 am by methylatedspirit »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15563 on: April 22, 2019, 10:17:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so uhh ended up praising this sweet head shot my companion did, but it was short lived as the snake reanimated, and I figured it's not worth fighting a corpse that going to instantly come back and left.
uhh said companion was stack on the back of my bogeyman adventurer due to they were carrying far too many bolts and was straggling behind, so I figured why not pick them up.(which is done through a dfhack lua mounting script)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #15564 on: April 22, 2019, 12:33:23 pm »

Wait, do they still fire while mounted?
Put a load of companions one on top of the other and bring about automatic fire destruction.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: April 30, 2019, 09:45:33 pm »

First adventure I was a bark scorpion that didn’t know how to climb so I retired sinc3 I thought I was trapped. After my third played adventure I will probably check legends to see what it did
First played adventure; Worm man living in an elven retreat tried to go searching for some titan or giant but couldn’t find the well traveled person so it climbed down the tree to search and found a shallow swam for a while and then found a deeper river and almost drowned. It got out and found a turkey gobbler and turkey hen attacked the turkey gobbler and almost died but somehow got away and survived a supposedly mortal wound. Slept a few times found another deep river or the same deep river as before, overestimated it’s swimming ability and drowned to death.
Second played adventure: Ralla a peachfaced lovebird woman who is a guard of a fortress doesn’t know how to get out. She talks to a fisherdwarf and gets a quest to kill a giant but Esun is well travelled and the fisherdwarf doesn’t know exactly where he is. She starts talking to other dwarves and get two more well travelled dwarves May know. She eventually finds an upward staircas3, finds a place where man6 dwarves congregate. None of them know where the quests are. She ev3ntually finds a cave filled with an ant man colony. She listens for a bit, gets out, kills an obese turkey gobbler heads back down to the colony where one of the drones says he attacked me minutes ago which he didn’t. Apparently she checked her status, saw some bruising and thought the ant men did it so she attacked the queen. She kept stabbing her with the spear and grabbing her arms, just grabbing, she didn5 know how to mess with what she grabbed. When the queen shot blowgun darts at me the workers commented on the inevitability of an *unknown flying creature* {a blowgun dart} hitting a peach faced lovebird woman. Eventually Ralla grabbed the blowgun the queen was using and after stabbing her in the head and arm sh3 dropped it. Eventually Ralla got killed by the Queen.
Third played Adventure(current): an armadillo 2oman whose name I forgot since I stuck with 5he random name lives with a human ringleader and his son. They want to kill some kind of beast and find a missing treasure E something Pig something. The problem is that neither of them know where either of those things would be nor anyone that might know. She travels for a bit and finds a few elephants, comes back to ask the child about the surroundings. The child says to wait till he gets home. I ask his dad, the ringleader, and he also says wait till he gets home. I ask about his family and he says his dad was the head of someplace but he doesn’t want to talk about what happened and there’s a new head now. I will edit this post with the actual names when able

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15566 on: May 04, 2019, 11:48:55 am »

Modded world

The robber that'd attacked me the night before was stabbed to death by the exalted rampart of the god of laws and order. I'd met the robber in the farmlands northwest of the keep and the town proper while investigating an army marker on the map. He tracked me with another bandit group and tried to ambush me outside the city limits. Thankfully I'd noticed the ambush at the right spot and it was dark enough to sneak away and report it to the local townsfolk and barflies. The town has a reputation for harboring skulking villains.
Not here at the moment

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: May 04, 2019, 10:00:21 pm »

Having discovered that, on occasion, civs can build dungeons in cave sites I set out to go take a look.

My world has a couple of these rarities. The usual pattern is that kobolds build a market, kobold all get killed (statistics seen to indicate that building a market in your cave is just begging for extinction-by-megabeast). Then a more civilized bunch move in several years later and start doing weird things like building dungeons (and in one case, a keep).

My first quest was a failure. The Gutters of Slinking is an ex-kobold cave now inhabited by a tribe of wolf-people (mod civ, usually build towns). 3000 of them live here along with their many pets. Death by FPS upon approaching the cave. I guess 3000 wolf-people squished into a cave isn't what's expected. Ah well.

Next I headed out to Delightshafts. A jolly sounding cave currently inhabited by a tribe of wild humans. Only 125 of them, so easier on the CPU. At this cave lies the dungeon The Cloudy Murder-Night.

Approaching the cave I carefully took on the persona of a tribal wildman from the civ. I forget if the tribe in general are hostile to my civ, but best to take precautions. I am after all a stranger in their lands. And a minotaur.

The tribal people were fighting with their dogs when I arrived. Grabbing them, throwing them about, all jolly good fun and my disguise apparently worked as I was mostly ignored and able to observe their strange traditions.

The fun stopped when a pair of giant alligators suddenly appeared and tried to join in the scrap. Not wanting to be disturbed, I knocked them both unconscious and entered the cave (tribal people can fight the giant alligators later, best not to mess with the balance of nature when wandering in parts unknown).

Making my way to the bottom of the cave, I discovered, just as I suspected, that cave dungeons only exist in theoretic form, something to write about in books of Legend, but not for the casual wanderer to encounter.

Passing down the final ramp of the cave found me not in a dungeon, but unceremoniously dumped into an underground cavern lake. Surviving the swim I got lost in the caves and eaten by a giant cave spider.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:05:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15568 on: May 05, 2019, 03:13:04 pm »

Currently a crab woman who has attacked a few stray horses but they got away. i am now trying to find my way down from a mountain during winter. Unless the month of Slate is a different season and I am just reaally high up. How do you kill the slugs and other small animals you pick up? I can't attack them while they are on the ground.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15569 on: May 05, 2019, 09:39:35 pm »

Having discovered that, on occasion, civs can build dungeons in cave sites I set out to go take a look.

My world has a couple of these rarities. The usual pattern is that kobolds build a market, kobold all get killed (statistics seen to indicate that building a market in your cave is just begging for extinction-by-megabeast). Then a more civilized bunch move in several years later and start doing weird things like building dungeons (and in one case, a keep).

My first quest was a failure. The Gutters of Slinking is an ex-kobold cave now inhabited by a tribe of wolf-people (mod civ, usually build towns). 3000 of them live here along with their many pets. Death by FPS upon approaching the cave. I guess 3000 wolf-people squished into a cave isn't what's expected. Ah well.

Next I headed out to Delightshafts. A jolly sounding cave currently inhabited by a tribe of wild humans. Only 125 of them, so easier on the CPU. At this cave lies the dungeon The Cloudy Murder-Night.

Gave up on assigning cave in entity.txt because of the death by FPS. Tho have been experimenting with making them 100% bandits. Messing with adding in gnolls and bugbears...
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1103