Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2016065 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15885 on: February 03, 2020, 02:12:40 pm »

My world seems to be too ruined for those to exist. My human civ's singular city seems to consist of a keep, some outdoors markets, and abandoned shops.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15886 on: February 03, 2020, 05:15:01 pm »

I've encountered a few towers. They're nothing all that special IMO but at least they break up the monotony of city architecture to some extent. Haven't found any manors yet though.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: February 03, 2020, 05:19:15 pm »

I just notice the polymorph bogeymen do legit turns them into a different animal, and in that timespan if you say walk away from them after talking to them and unload the map that bogeyman gets to live outside of the cackling.
this probably means if a bogeyman on a fort site happen to freak out and polymorph into one of the many Tamable species a dwarf could tame... it's possible to tame them.
which means probably have them as a pet?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: February 03, 2020, 10:23:25 pm »

Think this should be an interesting adventure. Just started a game as a dwarf in a small world where there are only four or five surviving civs (I come from the only dwarven one, the others are all elf or goblin, humans seem to be extinct). Just set off from my hillocks with my donkey companion in search of the fabled bronze helmet Brushspattered, which rightfully is a treasure of my home civ but is apparently possessed by a goblin warlord in a fortress far to the south.

Also, my donkey really hates keas, it seems. He's killed like five of them with no provocation whatsoever.

EDIT: I briefly lost the donkey, only for him to emerge again as a Donkey Ex Machina during a fight with a giant wolverine. It seemed like I was doomed to face solo combat until Edëm (the donkey) suddenly charged back into the fray out of nowhere. Between my mace strikes and his hoof-kicking, we were able to finish it off.

EDIT 2: Aaaand the game crashed on me. How disappointing, this was shaping up to be my most entertaining adventure in a while and now it's totally erased from history. :(
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 11:12:36 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #15889 on: February 04, 2020, 12:33:55 am »

Was working on ,my crazy mod, was also killed by a modded zombie of said mod.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174887.msg8044294#msg8044294
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15890 on: February 04, 2020, 02:34:31 am »

Haven't played adventure mode in many months, wanted to try out the new version. After a few failed starts, I had a nice run as a peasant human hunter. Generated a smaller world with a short history, low civs, and high savagery and beasts. Started in a human fortress far to the south, and spent most of my time there bothering a spearman, the only non-peasant in the whole complex. It seems their group doesn't have a leader, and they don't seem to care, they have no trouble with beasts or night creatures. They told me about the holy mire, a blessed land just to the north so I figured I'd head that way. Exploring the environment on my way, the forest is littered with giant creatures, great 6 foot buzzards, peachfaced lovebirds and storks watching from the trees- I get into a yelling match with an aggressive mosquitowoman.

The next fort I come to is also without a lord, dull except for the presence of an elite crossbowman who happens to be a giant sentient alligator. She regales me with a story about shooting down four jackals. Derides my flattery, and when I ask about her family, she told me she killed a man. I sense she's getting impatient, so I ask if there's any big game around. She tells me about a giant alligator that's been attacking people and I decide to take action.

I take a horse. I really like the mount system, but I can't figure out how to make the horse just stay in one place instead of following me. Dig how they buck when you get close to water or a bird spooks them. I get to the lair, the cerulean hollows,  creep in real slow.. and it's empty. I tried looking for tracks, there's two sets of perfectly zigzagging tracks. I follow them but can't track down anything. Weird, on fast travel I pick up the beasts odor, but nothing when I'm down on the ground. It's getting late, I head back to town, when I'm ambushed by a cheetah recruit, it even has a name, cironotofi. I tried shooting it on horseback which actually worked out really well, mounted combat seems like a huge advantage. I got two shots off before it closed distance, and when it attacked it went for my horse. It actually savaged my horse, knocking it over, but gave me enough time to disable it with some well aimed bolts and to lash its brain with a copper whip. I travel some distance and on my way into town I realized my horse has been crawling the whole time. I basically traveled half a day on this pitiful creature dragging itself along the earth, I give it a mercy killing then eat it. Found a tavern and bought a strawberry wine. It sat terribly on top of all that horse meat, I vomited and promptly fell asleep.

When I woke up an hour later, I was still vomiting, but the room had filled up- a cockatiel man chief  was rooting around on the ground. An engineer was telling a story about a political figures rise to baronhood. When he finished I got up and, inbetween vomiting, delivered a vocal performance of a musical piece which requires the singer to babble random words. A criminal filled in, imitating a drum. On leaving town I found an altar and rolled some die, which promised me a week of good fortune. A great omen to try to find that beast again.

As I'm traveling, I get an uneasy feeling while passing through a hamlet. As I'm walking, a maceman comes up to me and cracks several jokes. And he's following me. I get around a house, and there's three more armed men, who introduce themselves, start following me, and crack jokes and tell stories. It's a little ominous, and as soon as I step foot outside the hamlet they draw their weapons and start attacking me, with no demands. After a savage beating, my head was cloven asunder by a morning star.

So far I haven't noticed much of the villainy stuff, but I do like the new structures and conversation input. I find it weird that you can't sleep in fortresses or monastaries, even when asking permission, including the one you start in. I've also had a ton of problems playing adventure mode in a world with these settings and a long history. If I go long or longer and get an age of death, I can embark a fort, but upon trying to start as a human outsider the window just closes immediately. A lot of them did this in world gen too, when I had it set to longer. Also: are human outsiders supposed to have access to steel equipment? It's crazy that you can start with full steel gear but no backpack.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #15891 on: February 04, 2020, 10:48:07 am »

Haven't played adventure mode in many months, wanted to try out the new version. After a few failed starts, I had a nice run as a peasant human hunter. Generated a smaller world with a short history, low civs, and high savagery and beasts. Started in a human fortress far to the south, and spent most of my time there bothering a spearman, the only non-peasant in the whole complex. It seems their group doesn't have a leader, and they don't seem to care, they have no trouble with beasts or night creatures. They told me about the holy mire, a blessed land just to the north so I figured I'd head that way. Exploring the environment on my way, the forest is littered with giant creatures, great 6 foot buzzards, peachfaced lovebirds and storks watching from the trees- I get into a yelling match with an aggressive mosquitowoman.

The next fort I come to is also without a lord, dull except for the presence of an elite crossbowman who happens to be a giant sentient alligator. She regales me with a story about shooting down four jackals. Derides my flattery, and when I ask about her family, she told me she killed a man. I sense she's getting impatient, so I ask if there's any big game around. She tells me about a giant alligator that's been attacking people and I decide to take action.

I take a horse. I really like the mount system, but I can't figure out how to make the horse just stay in one place instead of following me. Dig how they buck when you get close to water or a bird spooks them. I get to the lair, the cerulean hollows,  creep in real slow.. and it's empty. I tried looking for tracks, there's two sets of perfectly zigzagging tracks. I follow them but can't track down anything. Weird, on fast travel I pick up the beasts odor, but nothing when I'm down on the ground. It's getting late, I head back to town, when I'm ambushed by a cheetah recruit, it even has a name, cironotofi. I tried shooting it on horseback which actually worked out really well, mounted combat seems like a huge advantage. I got two shots off before it closed distance, and when it attacked it went for my horse. It actually savaged my horse, knocking it over, but gave me enough time to disable it with some well aimed bolts and to lash its brain with a copper whip. I travel some distance and on my way into town I realized my horse has been crawling the whole time. I basically traveled half a day on this pitiful creature dragging itself along the earth, I give it a mercy killing then eat it. Found a tavern and bought a strawberry wine. It sat terribly on top of all that horse meat, I vomited and promptly fell asleep.

When I woke up an hour later, I was still vomiting, but the room had filled up- a cockatiel man chief  was rooting around on the ground. An engineer was telling a story about a political figures rise to baronhood. When he finished I got up and, inbetween vomiting, delivered a vocal performance of a musical piece which requires the singer to babble random words. A criminal filled in, imitating a drum. On leaving town I found an altar and rolled some die, which promised me a week of good fortune. A great omen to try to find that beast again.

As I'm traveling, I get an uneasy feeling while passing through a hamlet. As I'm walking, a maceman comes up to me and cracks several jokes. And he's following me. I get around a house, and there's three more armed men, who introduce themselves, start following me, and crack jokes and tell stories. It's a little ominous, and as soon as I step foot outside the hamlet they draw their weapons and start attacking me, with no demands. After a savage beating, my head was cloven asunder by a morning star.

So far I haven't noticed much of the villainy stuff, but I do like the new structures and conversation input. I find it weird that you can't sleep in fortresses or monastaries, even when asking permission, including the one you start in. I've also had a ton of problems playing adventure mode in a world with these settings and a long history. If I go long or longer and get an age of death, I can embark a fort, but upon trying to start as a human outsider the window just closes immediately. A lot of them did this in world gen too, when I had it set to longer. Also: are human outsiders supposed to have access to steel equipment? It's crazy that you can start with full steel gear but no backpack.
Please report the fort and monestrary thing on the announcement thread. From what ive read toady doesnt think its as annoying/severe a bug as it actually is.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

horribleflesheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: February 04, 2020, 01:54:58 pm »

I’ll try to make a response after some more fooling around. It’s definitely a pain, especially since those sites are so prolific, and in areas far from other towns. You would think they could act as safe refuges, and I get why you can’t travel through them. Gotta read more into the bugs too, terribly bummed that starting as an outsider crashes to desktop at present, really wanted to play in a dead world.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: February 04, 2020, 05:35:56 pm »

I briefly lost the donkey, only for him to emerge again as a Donkey Ex Machina during a fight with a giant wolverine.
And that goes in the sig.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15894 on: February 04, 2020, 07:17:42 pm »

Exploring a huge city, one of the biggest Id ever seen in DF
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I am surprised how lag free it is to walk through it. It isn't an abandoned city as there is a lot of people there and almost no empty building. This leads to me believing there is some glaring issue with most cities that causes the usual unbearable lag that is not present here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:32:30 pm by thvaz »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #15895 on: February 04, 2020, 07:51:48 pm »

Yeah, cities differ a lot among each other in terms of lag. I've never had a huge amount of problem with lag unless something was fighting somewhere on the map. Like, it's for me always an indicator a wild-animal recruit is going to town on random civilians.

Finally found a villainous network that isn't a straight line:

It's pretty tricky to get them to fess up though; you really need a lot of persuasion (fun fact, legends says that the boss here is childhood friends with the member). Also, this world has a lot of cave fish people and other cave folk integrated into society. I guess it's because of all the breaching of the underworld that now officially happens.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: February 04, 2020, 08:32:13 pm »

well trying to find means to kill bogeymen with out destroying their body for resurrection and or causing them to flip and be hostile kinda lead to creating a sport with 'propel away'

I guess one could play this with ambushers
oh yeah I guess the game is slowly turning into Fantasy crime squad... considering one could enlist folks to a fort to go on missions.
"body swapping and YOU!"

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15897 on: February 04, 2020, 09:15:09 pm »

I briefly lost the donkey, only for him to emerge again as a Donkey Ex Machina during a fight with a giant wolverine.
And that goes in the sig.

By all means, be my guest.

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15898 on: February 04, 2020, 11:21:35 pm »

Spent 15 minutes making a party, 30 performing music, and traveled to a dark pit then jumped in a river and drowned

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15899 on: February 05, 2020, 05:28:17 am »

well burn through all my options on resurrecting bogeymen as means to make them talk, some how fit for resurrection seems to stop me from resurrecting animals, and the general poison option prevents me from resurrecting bogeymen
so while bogeymen can escape the cackling alot easier now there gotta be some kind of vanilla way to get them talking again.

or I forgo the talking aspect and attempt to tame bogeymen in fort mode. hoping I can just cage trap them and figure out a way to get around trap avoid, then deal with the mess that is how can you get a bunch of dwarf fortress dwarves to quickly tame a creature mid transformation?
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1103