Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994794 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #15945 on: February 17, 2020, 09:45:10 pm »

I was kinda lost in an unpopulated sewers in a town when I finally reached the exit in a temple, only to find a lot of undead rampaging through the city and lots of dead people.
Did you survive by going in the sewers to hide from the undead?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: February 17, 2020, 10:30:01 pm »

Raiding a bandit fort.

My work speaks for itself.  :))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: February 18, 2020, 03:56:06 pm »

I saw two goblins attacking a random goblin child, so I killed them.

You didn't finish your sentence.
I'll do this for you:
"I saw two goblins attacking a random goblin child, so I killed them all." Now it's perfect.

As for my new adventure I genned a world which has 16 necro towers in it. Surprisingly 15 of them didn't mess things up but were under quarantine, so to speak. Therefore I have I a thriving world with the usual wars between gobbos and the rest of the world. All sunny and bright...
... except one little peninsula at the north-western part of the map, which is cut off from the rest of the world. There the 16th tower can be found. This tower and 2 human civs, 2 dwarven civs and a goblin civ. Things there went...south. Pretty heavily. The human and dwarven civs are destroyed (only small camps of survivors and two forts are scattered around some monasteries) and the goblin civ is on the cusp of extinction with just one pit left and down to 40 inhabitants (38 goblins, a beak dog and a troll). Death is reigning (and raining as the whole region now is an evil one) in the region and several thousands (!) of zombies are populating the former hamlets/towns/hillocks/fortresses and pits. (The most interesting of facts: The downfall of this region did happen in merely 20 years. Before that all was thriving and the tower was silent for many decades. A glimpse of what can happen if the towers in the rest of the world will activate their dark powers - a glimpse into the future.)

My goal for this world is clear: Kill all necros on that peninsula. Bonus points if I can kill all zombies (yeah, I'm a patient guy...)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:04:09 pm by SaD-82 »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: February 18, 2020, 09:18:33 pm »

Just genned a new world.
Adventurer choices are human, dwarf, elf, goblin, 36 different kinds of night creature, mountain goat man. Oh, this is going to be fun.  :)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: February 19, 2020, 12:24:34 am »

Starting myself an outsider in a fairly hostile world, and I gotta say...I'm starting to fucking hate the new conversation mechanics. 90% of NPCs have worse attention spans than a cat on meth, it really makes it difficult to get info on the local area out of anyone, and once they decide they're done talking they just flat-out fucking clam up. That's not how conversation IRL works. Bare minimum, shouldn't traders and other NPCs who have an actual job at least default to a "please cut the chatter and stick to business" mode?
those npcs legit don't remember a dang thing and you should just check to see if they have family members, or done anything historical before and just be on your way.
talking to inhabitants making them historical figures that legit have no clue what anything is and need to be taught to.
also the new dialog system to me after figuring out mostly the rep system in the previous one was a 'oh yeah this would take getting use to' moment. did make pouring points into conversationalist and one of the comedian skill to butter up folks.

that said one thing to win over folks is to Give them a cat, or 4 and they will join a battle and fight for you.

so in my adventures currently realizing the resurrection quantum leap stuff is still in the game(and now doable in vanilla) and currently trying to set up a world, and fort in the upper left corner of the region in hopes of playing creatures you can't normally play as and retiring them at a player's fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #15950 on: February 19, 2020, 06:17:54 am »

In my experience telling jokes is the easiest to keep them interested. And frankly, this is how conversations in real life go, if some rando came up to me and kept asking repeated questions about my town, I'd be wondering after 10 minutes how quickly I could get out of there too.

protip: you can tell jokes or flatter your god for xp without trouble in terms of impatience. I've also frequently spend some time visiting all my neighbours and telling them jokes and flattering them to gain xp easily.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: February 19, 2020, 11:59:08 am »

ok so just went through several pass on this quantum leap plan and it's all tied to the idea of 'talking to one of the adventurer party members into joining as an companion would allow me access to swap to them and fix the quantum leap and Praying that the quantum leap would in fact let me Play this unit again.

fake edit : wellp learn that it's possible to make someone PURELY HATE your adventurer, by botching a pet gifting, also learn that there's another proof that you're possessing your adventurer given by that this quantum leap stuff having a convo with this bird adventurer I parked in a camp solely to see if I can switch over to them lead to the discovery of it's possible of the adventurer you're controlling just super hates the other person you're talking to and you don't even get a judgement of intent for the adventurer you're playing as.

so I got the bird person adventurer to positive mood towards this ash being I moved out from below then discovered checking the companion list when an Adventurer party member is nearby lets you switch to them, this ended up seeing what the ash being's mood towards the bird person adventurer and it was mostly negative, and gotten worst after the botch pet giving and now that ash being is the expedition leader of this fort.

so no demon adventurer that you can retire though I guess that's mostly because their historical figure is pretty much doesn't have the adventurer or active adventurer flag assigned, that to say you gave them a historical figure as the quantum leap process plops you into the body of one of those historical figure-less being. ended up waking a mummy to set this up and ended up being another method to get someone to become a fort citizen.
"body swapping and YOU!"

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: February 19, 2020, 04:12:12 pm »

To everyone who is a tad disappointed with the passiveness of people when starting a fight in their town (whereas for me it never was that bad as I always had several people joining my foes when I tried to kill someone):
Gen a world where an undead invasion occurs. You will love that carnage.

My undead peninsula from my world that I'm currently running is a place where such an invasion did occur (and it's still ongoing). The group-civ of the necromancer who started it all has control over 42 sites formlery belonging to normal human/dwarven/goblin civs: A large realm of horror.
The fun fact of this: Not all of these sites are filled with zombies but instead nearly half of them still contain humans, dwarves, elves and goblins. And night creatures who are normal citizens. Five of these places just contain night creatures - and I asked myself: Why this? Well, I've got the answer.
By just visiting the first hamlet which was full of normal people and which, in the past, just got conquered by the necromancer-civ without killing them all.
And, oh boy, this visit turned out to be the bloodiest visit I ever had in DF.
The anser is just simply: Ghouls.

Upon entering I started a little talk with a three-eyed night creature who was wandering around for some water from the well. While we were chatting and joking a goblin holy morality ran past, tears in his eyes. Sibrek Silverword (who in reality was Ngerxung Ghoultusk (and this name made me laugh pretty hard - in retrospective), who disguised himself for whatever reason - I have Legends Viewer always running while playing to learn about the creatures I'll encounter), coated in some splatters of his own blood because of a little wound on his head. Gipest Gloriestrampel, the Tiquorod's fist gelder, and I looked somewhat surprised but didn't interrupt our little leisure time at the well.
Another holy morality, this time a human one, ran past - tears in his eyes and with some splatters of his own blood.
I got somehwat concerned.
Especially when a dwarven holy morality appeared around the edge of a crumbled building, blood oozing and pale. Followed by an elven tainted ghoul. Who closed the distance to the dwarf, bit him in the throat and shook him around until the priest bled out.

Slowly I backed away while Gipest walked by the elven abomination without any attacks of it. Night creatures...Ghouls don't attack them.
Without any notice of the ghoul I could get away and followed the two priests who were fast enough to flee from this undead onslaught. Until I saw the battle messages flickering and I could read "The goblin holy morality tainted ghoul Sibrek Silverword..." and I thought to myself: This will be interesting.

And it was. Utter chaos and bloodshed. The two priests, now turned ghouls, teared through goblins, dwarves and humans. Scratched them, punched them, kicked them. And bid them. Soon there weren't just the two ghouls but half of the normal combatants began to change into ghouls. And more and more unturned people threw themselves into the fray against this undead menace. No running away, no "I must withdraw" - no, they voluntarely entered the fight, drawing their knives, spilling the ghoulish blood, killing them and in return got infected. An endless cycle of slaughter.

Some time later (a long, long time later) the battlefield cleared and just one ghoul was standing (well, dragging himself across the ground as both his feet had been exploded into gore). But, hell, this bugger was fast as he tried to reach me. He nearly got me while I was running away - looked upon by dozens of night creatures who had witnessed this turmoil and never had to fear the ghouls. In the end, 58 people of Sunkbored were slain and/or turned into ghouls (and were slain by other people or by the ghouls themselves as they didn't care who they were killing. It was utter bloodlust and everything was clawed to death.). A spectacle to behold.

Now I was thinking that night creatures are a lucky bunch of dudes in this region...
...until I reached Leopardact, another hamlet, controlled by the necro-civ and only inhabited by night creatures.
There, no ghouls were present, but some time ago a necromancer had revived some night creatures into frozen zombies. Sentient undead being who were in a loop of constantly asking "Identify yourself!" Not every night creature would or could do this in time and a new slaughter began: Between Tiquorod's fists, hulking and tough, and Tiquorod's fist frozen zombies, even more hulking and tough. And fast. Damned fast.
After slaughtering nearly half the village while more and more normal night creatures joined the fight, there were just two zombies left, but I retreated. In fear. A shameless display, I know, but these locations are truly f-ed up and I won't stand a chance as a mere peasant.

My hope lies in swimming across the ocean to reach the mainland.
And by not catching the curse of becoming a ghoul - else this whole world will be doomed.

God, I love these new changes. Undead invasions are truly deadly. And fun for adventure mode if you want carnage and killing frenzy nonstop.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:18:34 pm by SaD-82 »

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: February 21, 2020, 01:34:31 am »

my first 0.47.03 adventurer slew her first cave crocodile, made a stack of earrings from the bones, then, forgetting the dangers cavern water presents a novice swimmer, promptly floundered and drowned tryna wash off the blood

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: February 21, 2020, 05:43:44 am »

Started an outsider adventurer on an island with a necro tower neatly placed close to the island's center, making the worst possible build against undead - a swordsman (for extra challenge). There are several dying civs there and I could get some quick and easy loot from abandoned shops. Then I spent some time building a base in the wilderness, but I forgot about one problem - outsiders can't create art and claim sites, so I wasted some skill points putting them into stringed instrumentalist, and I can't claim my own site. Also, the lack of backpack really makes it annoying, and I'm not sure where advfort is currently with the new versions. Guess I'll seek a quick death and leave the place for an in-civ adventurer.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #15955 on: February 23, 2020, 12:37:05 pm »

Started an outsider adventurer on an island with a necro tower neatly placed close to the island's center, making the worst possible build against undead - a swordsman (for extra challenge). There are several dying civs there and I could get some quick and easy loot from abandoned shops. Then I spent some time building a base in the wilderness, but I forgot about one problem - outsiders can't create art and claim sites, so I wasted some skill points putting them into stringed instrumentalist, and I can't claim my own site. Also, the lack of backpack really makes it annoying, and I'm not sure where advfort is currently with the new versions. Guess I'll seek a quick death and leave the place for an in-civ adventurer.

Very great stuff! Hmm..you did say dying civs, so I assume there is a civ still around? If so, what you can do is go into a site occupied by the living and retire there. Then unretire that character and they should be a memeber of that civ! The backpack...no need to worry! You are a scavenger of the island just scavenge warehouses and castles to aid in your survival. I was able to find a backpack in the second mead hall in my end of the world scenario run
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:40:01 pm by Luckyowl »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: February 25, 2020, 06:37:54 am »

so far poking around with experimental dfhack and learn it's possible to just mess with the dialog option to gift the person you're talking to someone else.
also messing around with making your adventurer a divine deity and seeing if it's possible to just spread word of yourself to others and build a religion off of your adventurer.

given that folks talking to you will treat you as a god, and doing so will give them access to preaching about the adventurer to others.

other than that I've been testing out the amount needed to be kindred spirits to others and it seems like gifting them about 4 or 7 pets will do this.

I haven't found out the scheming mechanic yet but uhh it probably somewhere.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: February 27, 2020, 08:01:20 am »

Very great stuff! Hmm..you did say dying civs, so I assume there is a civ still around? If so, what you can do is go into a site occupied by the living and retire there. Then unretire that character and they should be a memeber of that civ! The backpack...no need to worry! You are a scavenger of the island just scavenge warehouses and castles to aid in your survival. I was able to find a backpack in the second mead hall in my end of the world scenario run

That char is already dead, killed by some night creature I don't even remember.

I genned a new world, full of awesome new stuff and settlements close to necro towers. Created one adventurer and wandered about one of the cities. I tried to sleep in an abandoned house for the night, but I got the "You feel uneasy" prompt. I got out of the house... and got immediately insta-killed with one punch to the head by a Muscular Giant of AC - an undead experiment. Created a second adventurer in the same area, wandered around the woods, found a monastery and rolled the dice, which gave me a blessing. Shortly after, I came upon the same undead experiment that killed my previous char. This time the battle took much longer, I bashed it with a silver mace, bruising its heart and even crushing some limbs, but eventually I grew tired and the experiment ripped my leg out and started bashing on me mercilessly.

I created a third adventurer, a hammerman devoted to a God of light and justice, and a newly minted heart-person of one of the local lords governing over one of the villages. First thing that I noticed was that there was some ruckus in the village. Bandits were harassing the villagers, so I snapped their spines in half with my hammer and let my dog chew on the bastards. I went back to the castle and the lord told me they were members of a local bandit party that has been attacking the village for a while now. I headed north-west to a nearby monastery to roll the dice, and got a week-of-fortune blessing. On the way back, I was attacked by a night creature. It was the same Muscular Giant of Ac that killed my previous two adventurers! This time I came better prepared and more skilled, because I did not put any skill points into instruments. The battle went swiftly - with one bash to its skull, I killed the bastard. Then I butchered it and gained enormous amounts of meat. I set the remaining body parts on fire, but only after taking a few steps, a Larvae of Ac sprouted out the remainders and attacked me! This fight went even easier, and I outright set it on fire, then returned to the castle.

Jackwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: February 27, 2020, 01:00:58 pm »

I've been playing DF for a little bit, not long enough to get very far in Dwarf mode but I am absolutely loving Adventure mode and then I found the forums. So I thought I'd share.

The land of Anurnitom, The Wonderous Planets. An ancient land with over 1,000 years of history, many fortresses have risen and fallen, and quite a number of adventurers have wandered it's land. Unfortunately, the dwarves are all but extinct, and the goblins have taken a massive foothold in the land.  Enter the adventurer.

Ineth Rėtharlikot Ish Savot, Ineth Trammelink the Bars of Standing. A dwarven hero who seeks to rid the world of the numerous Megabeasts. An adequate bone carver, they plan on carving depictions of the battle from the very bones of the beast, spreading them around the world to let everyone know that they have fallen.

Once I got in, I went about tracking down armor, and quickly found a full set of steel armor as well as a steal spear and shield from within an abandoned fortress. Knowing I needed some practice, I searched for some low population dark puts but ended up stumbling upon a cave. I knew that terrifying creatures may lurk within, so I turned to leave, but curiosity got the better of me, and I slowly, quietly entered.

The cave eventually lead to a series of trap filled corridors. I was unfamiliar with the design and wasn't sure what to expect, but out from the darkness, two yellow eyes could be seen. Kobolds. I was sneaking, and real well, so I was able to get right up behind it, preparing my spear. But then I thought, "This kobald has a weapon, and I'm not too skilled yet, so I should disarm it first, for safety". So I grab it's sword and yanked it from it's hands. The kobald immediately yielded and ran away, crying.

At first I felt bad, these poor kobalds, they're some of the last of their kind(literally, there are only 37 left) and one day some big dwarf comes in and takes their only means of protection right out of their hands. I decided that these little cutebolds could live. But then one shot me with an arrow.

The aftermath is still told to kobald children, to keep them from wandering away at night. I... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men,  but the women and children too...

Anyway. After that fiasco I was seriously encumbered from all that kobald loot and I went off and sold it, including the dozens of eggs I found. After that, I've mostly been exploring ancient fortresses, most of them destroyed by a megabeast. I make my first assault on the goblins tonight, hopefully I can gain a foothold.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:19:24 pm by Jackwick »

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: February 27, 2020, 03:25:32 pm »

Right now I am on a quest to destroy a mummy that seemingly is in charge of a necro tower and hundreds of zombies. My world is modded with additional creatures and civilizations, such as different gold and mountain dwarves, fairies (who are not vermin anymore) orcs, barbarians and minotaurs. I made the minotaurs smaller and weaker, but they are still bigger and stronger than other civs, but they are few, with a max pop of 800 for each civ with only 2 civs. So when the other civs were prospering, the first minotaur civ fell as the orcs and a black dragon decided to take turns on attacking them in the first 20 years. The second civilization of minotaurs however survived and thrived for over 240 years of worldgen in the deserts separated by the mainland by a mountain ridge.

My minotaurs are fortress builders but only settle in deserts and savannahs, and this place was perfectly generated for them. Until in the years between 245 and 251 of wordlgen, a recently died and entombed thane of the gold dwarf civilization from over the mountains was accidentally disturbed by a halfling (their city is only a few tiles away) and decided to build a tower and send zombies OVER THE MOUNTAIN and destroy half of the minotaur´s hillocks and even raze their main fortress. So I created a demigod minotaur to fight back the zombies and due to a bug I landed on the other side of the map after retiring and so I could avoid the mountains and attack the tower... Fifty or sixty zombies later, there was no tower in sight. Just a few small buildings and a thing that looked like a fortress with stairs down into the caverns. The map says the tower is there, but there IS no tower at all... Maybe it is in the caverns, but my hero already has lost a horn and a hand and is covered with blisters from the "holy ghouls" that mummy created. So... where is the tower now?
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1103