Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994636 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16005 on: March 15, 2020, 10:05:28 am »

At one point, I encountered an elf bard on the road. I decided to test whether bards can spread your reputation, so I brought up the incident with the bronze colossus. Out of curiosity, I asked the bard's opinion of me. But instead of saying "You are brave. You are also a killer" like other people who've listened to me performing the story, he said "You are brave. You are also a legendary hunter."

The next time I checked my reputation, I noticed that a bunch of groups now considered me a "legendary hero" and a "legendary hunter", with many of them not considering me a killer at all.

So, it looks like traveling bards might be an effective way to spread your reputation.

That's pretty cool it works that way.  This game continually amazing me.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16006 on: March 19, 2020, 12:37:53 pm »

In my last world there was (originaly) dwarven mercanery group who founded fort in 6th decade. It was all nice and such, until ten years later they built they first shrine. For some reason it draw an ire of Demon, which for next forty years razed them yearly, unless the sellswords decided to stand they ground in some plains. After each succesful raiding the lastly-built shrine was destroyed and new one appeared, so at this fine year 108 there are multiple ruins all over the fort. Since they were attacked with multiple demons (even slaying some) I figured out, that I could go and witness unleashed hell in worldgen.
Before that however I made a visit to the fort. Then I found something I hadn't seen before:
https://imgur.com/pHibx5n
I love those small things, like the fact that if you recite riddle some NPCs might exclaim "I love riddles!" instead of "Saw UristMcPoet recite x. Its interesting/No, I'm not interested".

Other then this I visited the hellish fortess and I only found the main master and some goblins. Died horribly before any real exploration though, so I could only say that worldgen fortresses have altars with dices in their stairway now.
Starting as a miner is now probably the most "powerplay" option, since you got free points into reasonable weapon-skill and pick is not any more expensive than other weapons. Other starting occupations are nice for roleplay and bringing adventurer to your fortress, but I don't see any kind of advantage for advmode only. Correct me if I am wrong, of course.

Does anyone knows what causes mercanery group to disband? The aformentioned mercaneries survived forty years of extensive pillaging and murdering their soldiers and commanders while still being operating, but another mercanery group disbanded after thirty years from "getting heavy loses". Both of them got their own fort, position of treasure keeper, +equipment+ and few shrines. The second one didn't even participated in any lost battle and got three diffrent people "promoted", while the first band promoted only one (which doesn't mean there aren't any unpromoted soldiers, they are just non-historical). What kind of damage is the tipping scale?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16007 on: March 19, 2020, 01:57:45 pm »

Heavy losses might refer to finances as well as casualties; maybe they're both losing profit and not attracting new members/morale is down? That's all I can think of
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16008 on: March 20, 2020, 09:37:36 am »

Spoilers ahead (though I feel like this stuff is an open secret at this point).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kingra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16009 on: March 20, 2020, 11:41:12 am »

Spoilers ahead (though I feel like this stuff is an open secret at this point).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You do know you don't actually NEED the slab to bind it right? You just need to know the name from reading it.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16010 on: March 20, 2020, 02:36:42 pm »

I wasn't sure whether or not that was the case, so I decided I should have it on hand just to be sure. Couldn't take any chances; this thing's got webs! I even assumed an identity from its civilization to make sure it wouldn't turn hostile immediately.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16011 on: March 21, 2020, 03:03:03 am »

I wasn't sure whether or not that was the case, so I decided I should have it on hand just to be sure. Couldn't take any chances; this thing's got webs! I even assumed an identity from its civilization to make sure it wouldn't turn hostile immediately.
you don't even need the slab to get them to join you just send an army at the site and sneak in with an hidden identity to warn them about a siege coming and ask them to join for rescue.

edit: so in adv mode news I'm slowly working on a dfhack experiment and currently dealing with seeing them first walk and horribly Horribly crash the game if you let anyone attack them.

overall a good run.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:21:27 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16012 on: March 24, 2020, 01:13:25 pm »

I was traveling as an elf just south of a sprawling goblin fortress, I was about to venture in but saw that I was tired, so I took a quick nap in the wilds. I ended up being ambushed by a band of humans & goblins. When I woke up, I found my elf lying on the branches of a tree. What's even more interesting, is the humans & goblins were ALSO in the tree; they must have climbed up to grab my character & missed him in the foliage.  ::)  I jumped out of the tree just in time for 2 of the goblins to fall out of the tree and attack. I killed them both without too much difficulty and saw that one had a bow and a stack of arrows. I also had some arrows in my backpack so I took the opportunity for some target practice. It was pretty fun, shooting straight up in the air, watching the arrows fall down to the ground all around me and occasionally getting a lucky shot. A human macemen took a hit to the hand, dropped his mace & then took a 2nd hit to the leg, causing him to fall to the ground and crush his other hand. He was quickly dispatched.

Pompan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16013 on: March 25, 2020, 04:45:47 pm »

I assaulted a lair where a beast who had eight wings and a pair of giant tusks lived, with my two companions.
The fighting was tense and the beast refused to die until one of my companions passed out from exertion - then the beast bled to death.
At first I thought that the beast somehow was reanimated then I realized that that wasn't the case. Another beast of the same kind had showed up. This one had a copper carving fork, which it promptly proceeded to slaughter the three of us with in an instant.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16014 on: March 25, 2020, 05:39:16 pm »

Started as a bird in a Human Hamlet, went to a mountain range saturated with Dwarven ruins, got lost in an endless web of tunnels deep within the Mountain Halls, made it out onto the other side, and got killed by a random Goblin axeman in an abandoned Fortress I went into to look for a second flask.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16015 on: March 25, 2020, 08:00:03 pm »

Just got attacked by some of the a experiment AND undead liutenants, this one was unarmed and unarmored, even then my demigod was killed in short notice. The few blos I could connect glanced off, and when biting my iron armor we has damaging it.

tankistqazwsx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16016 on: March 26, 2020, 03:08:07 am »

Seems like a good start for adventure:

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16017 on: March 27, 2020, 04:00:48 pm »

Seems like a probable ending for an adventure as well.

Here's an update on my necro-experiment adventurer:

I got a demon. An enormous, fat, bloated, feathered lizard in human form. Beware its webs! He was wielding a bunch of non-weapon artifacts, so I had to sting him in the arms until it chipped bone to make him drop them. Luckily stingers don't escalate past 'Brawl'. How big are demons anyway? This thing hits like a freight train! When it isn't slapping folks with a gold bracelet, of course. The force from its punches are enough to send limbs sailing off in an arc!

My human swordmaster follower is now a toothless, noseless pile of scar tissue and severed motor nerves. Her kicks are still nothing to sneeze at, but without the ability to block or parry, she'll get herself killed if I keep her around. I'm half tempted to get her bit by a werebeast (there's a were-armadillo crime boss I've befriended who lives in a tavern just a stone's throw from her hometown, and of course my old were-fox wrestling partner), but for now I've just let her go back to her job as a hearthperson in a small hamlet. I made sure to tell stories about some of the monsters she's killed to ensure she's regarded as a hero among her friends and neighbors.

I had another go at searching for the catacombs under that one Dark Fortress, hoping to find that artifact iron great axe. Not only did I not find anything, but I misplaced my demon! Dumbass decided to dodge into one of those pits that lead to the caverns. He's not dead or anything; legends mode confirmed he's still alive. I just can't find him.

The whole search for the great axe is a moot point now anyway. Thanks to some divination dice, I now have an artifact faceted metal great axe! Much better than the training spear it gave me earlier.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #16018 on: March 27, 2020, 11:04:54 pm »

Here is the final moments of one my Tulmanian Sycthe user named Nebo( Tulmanians are kind of like Gruedos from Legend of Zelda when it comes to skin tone, and hair color.) After spending a week(ingame) traveling through the hot  sand of Irnatasto   and hearing the sweet birds  sing from sea of trees of Gatalfotthor. She finally arrived from the west  to a bustling town called Iztpizhezzat. After talking to the locals she learned that their was an incursion  that failed due  to the 'disappearance' of the rebels, but Nebo  didn't  trek miles to entwined herself with political  nonsense, she is traveling  the land of Ramathador to slay beasts and sulkung Vermins. So I got to business, I tracked down a night creature  and slayed it. It's only child ambushed me  while  I was shopping for  clothes. The child night creature with  no discipline, charged me like the beast he was. I confidently stood still with my hands gripped  to my Sycthe. When it reached me from an arm distance I took a step to the right (south from a gameplay POV) .It slew the air, I slew it. Severing the head. After that, I traveled  up north from Iztpizhezzat to find a kobold camp. As usual the kobolds who inhabited the site were slaughtering eachother from left  to right . I join the fray slicing  off the heads of any kobolds that got on my way. I stole the stolen goods from the camp and sold them off back at Iztpizhezzat and  bought me some well crafted gear.

Went to a local tavern in town and had a drink with a gang leader and all was going well, until I propose the value of friendship, and the Gnome  said otherwise. The argument got heated with every words and with every arm sway, until  the  small little  brat, belittled me with his flattery derailment, in a drunken rage I punched the Gnome's face the force was enough to fracture his skull piercing the brain. I stood there with my mouth lazily opened, My drunken eyes scanning the dead Gnome up and down . I look up to see to see 3 angry armed men with their weapons drawn, I sigh and said "Yup." After slicing the head of the gang members. I drunkliy walked up  to a frighten  kid, who watched me paint the tavern  red. I rummaged through my bag and pulled a bone figurine shaped to my likeness and gave it to the boy,  I slur " OnE dahY  ThIS kan beH u." I pat the boy in the head and ran out the tavern.

I skipped town  to evade the law, back to wandering the forest I guess. My wandering led me to a mercenary fort. I learned from the mercenaries of a tower up north filled with the undead. Fuck yes! Let's  slice some zombies! I thank the mercenaries and made my way to the compound, and in seconds a horde zombies  with daggers drawn gait out of their tombs.  I Stood my ground  , I sliced heads , I advanced , stood ground, sliced heads, advanced, took breaks to recover stamina, replace torn armor with whatever gear  that was laying around in those tombs. Inching my way to the tower  that stood ominously among the cluster of tombs. Eventually after an hour of slaughtering zombies I made it to the feet of the tower.  I enter it and began to slaughter "remember, no necromancers." . All of them fleeing from my wrath of justice only to fall my by my hand. Then I enter  a room and saw an intelligent zombie just chilling.In blind justice I brought down my Sycthe onto the ghoul. Only  for it to jump away and draw it's blade. I slice my Sycthe it parry my attack. I frantically  snapped, and arrogantly sliced. It kicked my face and claimed a tooth.  I spit the blood and there I knew, "Now it serious", I took a defences stance and began to walk back. Parrying all of his attack,  parrying  all of mine. Our fight  lead us, hallways to hallways, stairways to stairways, room to room. The ghoul  claimed another  tooth. The fight went on and eventually   I was getting tired  as I am a mere mortal unlike my foe. All my attacks were lagged, my dodging and parrying began to failed. An arm claimed, and there my Sycthe fell. The end is neigh. And none of my skills could'nt avail. I held to the last, but alas, death gave me a kiss, and there I lay. Blooded and torn. Spewing blood on the cold hardened floor.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:13:33 pm by Luckyowl »

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16019 on: March 31, 2020, 04:25:05 pm »

Hoo boy, has my adventure taken some twists and turns lately! The end result of which is that I have added a second adventurer to my party, a dwarven death worshiper and vampire/necromancer in the making named Thob Cultknife The Regal Counselor of Griffins. Random name, by the way.

See, what had happened was that I picked up a random swordsdwarf companion who I was hoping to train up into a swordmaster like my previous companion. While I was poking around the fortress where I met him (looking for decent armor, asking about troubles, etc.), somebody mentioned "The dwarf vampire Stukos McNPC is well traveled and may have that information".

Never one to pass up an opportunity for shenanigans, I tracked the guy down, called him out as a creature of the night, disemboweled him, and filled a few cups with his blood. Note that I immediately fast traveled away, so he didn't bleed out. He's just walking around with his guts spilled now.  Anyway, as a necromancer experiment, my adventurer can't actually become a vampire. My new dwarven buddy on the other hand...

So I headed to a nearby Dark Fortress to provide combat training fodder for my freshly-cursed companion. Unfortunately, my habit of jump-slamming goblins into cavern pit shafts came back to bite me again. The dwarf tried to follow the goblin down and wound up stuck clinging to the wall halfway down the shaft. He refused to put away or part with the artifact sword I gave him, and he only has one working hand after getting mauled by a grizzly bear in a random encounter, so he was incapable of climbing up. Or down for that matter.

Well, if jump-slams could get me into this mess, jump-slams would get me out. I knocked him down to the caverns below, hoping his armor would deflect the impact (it did). There was a dwarven fortress a couple map tiles east, so if I could just navigate the caverns for a bit without losing track of my companion or pet giant grizzly bear (did you know they can climb? I didn't), I could get back to the surface just fine.

Or so I thought. The first cavern layer led to a dead end, so I had to climb down to the second layer to proceed. Idk if pre-generated fortresses can even connect to the second cavern layer, but even if they can, the lag at that fortress was so bad that I'd never find it. I ended up retiring  and unretiring my adventurer there just to reach the surface.

Shortly thereafter, my vampire swordsdwarf companion got beat to hell by a bunch of religious goblins during some sort of uprising I stumbled across, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down. That's not technically fatal to vampires, but I opted to put him out of his misery anyway. Or I pulled a supervillain-style "you have failed me... for the last time!". Take your pick. I mean, honestly! A fully-armored, seasoned warrior and a vampire to boot wielding an artifact sword getting taken down by unarmed, unskilled civilians? Just shameful.

So, yeah. I'm pretty sick of losing companions to crippling injury and/or stupidity, so I decided to make a second adventurer. Being in more direct control should solve the worst of the problems.

Oh! And I got my demon back. In the 2 weeks or so my adventurer spent in retirement, he made his way into the central tower of the Dark Fortress where I'd lost him. Which, incidentally, has had its population cut in half since I started this adventure. That's over 5,000 dead goblins in Menacesteals alone.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:31:49 pm by Vicious_Unicycle »
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1103