Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994764 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16245 on: February 13, 2021, 07:34:37 am »

Did a little science on adventurer relationships:

Made a party of 6. Had them assault a goblin fortress. Two died from demons, unretired one who died shortly after from a demon ambush in a hamlet. The next one became a necromancer. Had him link up with his former party members, who recognized him as a friend but didn't want to join him on adventures. They died when I brought zombies back to that fort, so I collected all the corpses and resurrected them as pale stalkers in various hamlets. Their heads were all mangled beyond recognition, and wouldn't respond when I talked to them. 

Settled the necromancer in an adventurer site which he became the ruler of. Discovered you can un-retire an adventurer who died and was subsequently revived as a necromancer experiment, and they were all capable of speech post un-retire. It also appears that relationships remain intact after this fact, brought them all to the site and made them hearth people, then started playing as the original leader of the party who had been struck down. Upon playing him, all the previous members of the party would follow him, including the necromancer leader of the site, without having to ask them to join him on adventures.

ok wait what you got an adv necromancer to make another adventurer into an necromancer experiment vs a revenant/intelundead like this might literally be the missing piece to unlocking the access to ghoulification vision that necromancers get but have lock off because they need to be an experiment.

so far in my studies I pretty much been using the ability to build and warp adventurers in zlevels below the camp surfaces to give beings on the lower levels nobility to see what they do with it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: uhh ended up getting this to happen with out the night troll from aggroing me so now I think there's still hope for peaceful night trolls in adventure mode.

but since I ended up having this happen in an modded save I'm testing to see if this is possible in vanilla.

edit 2: so while trying to test if I can do this with a night troll on a vanilla save I ended up getting an ettin instead so uhh good news the process I did to get the previous night troll works in vanilla but requires getting the creature you want to join the fort to get the position of military commander after you get them to accept the expedition leader role, so this ettin had to pretty much wander to the fort and decide on being the fort's military commander. so far on researching the shifting noble positions led to understanding of if I unretire between fort mode and adventure mode the game will shuffle the positions... also if the person of the previous position dies and the game feels the need to fill that role with someone which the ettin is in the pool of candidates

so far this ettin also had a necromancer slab on hand so this fort already got a solution for all the bodies.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:05:20 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16246 on: February 22, 2021, 04:39:29 pm »

I struck a river snake and it didn't disappear from the screen.

Apparently' you can' in fact' hold more than one item in your teeth.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16247 on: February 26, 2021, 08:43:22 pm »

Quick question? How common are random brawls/murders in this version?

I have no idea how common they are or if my mods had something to do with it but I saw multiple street brawls when I played an outsider in a modded town, and the nobles had killed multiple people. I decided to join in on the fun and kill a few nobles. Is there more violence in towns in this new version?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16248 on: February 26, 2021, 08:51:06 pm »

and now it crashed

lol
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16249 on: February 27, 2021, 06:38:44 pm »

help

im stuck in a well

do i have to retire

Obsidian 1053

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16250 on: February 28, 2021, 02:21:07 am »

Can you climb the walls to get out?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16251 on: February 28, 2021, 02:24:19 am »

If you don't know how you to climb you can find info at the bottom of THIS page.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16252 on: February 28, 2021, 05:01:03 pm »

guys

this world is now a meme

ok so i had this bard adventurer, and she wrote a few songs

eventually she fled her town because of all the violence/insurrections

later i had an alligator woman who ended the insurrections by just killing the old baroness and becoming the new baroness

but i kept losing power

and it turns out my old adventurer is now the new baroness

this game is so scuffed i love it

Obsidian 1053

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16253 on: February 28, 2021, 05:01:43 pm »

what do i do here

this is amazing

i feel so bad if i kill either one

Obsidian 1053

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16254 on: March 01, 2021, 02:38:46 am »

Why not let them both live?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16255 on: March 01, 2021, 03:48:57 pm »

cause thats boring

i demand blood

Obsidian 1053

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16256 on: March 01, 2021, 06:32:22 pm »

Steal some barrels from a tavern, find and kill a vampire, preferably by cutting off a couple limbs,, and fill the barrels with his blood.  Then go back to town, grab some mugs, and start passing out mugs full of blood to random people/your adventurers. Now they're all vampires and the blood can flow forever.

If you're running out of vampire blood, pour the last of it out on the ground and refill the barrels from the pool it makes. Infinite blood.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:34:19 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tsov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16257 on: March 01, 2021, 06:41:31 pm »

well after the angel stuff and finally getting a fort mode playable fiend I wonder if there's a title for projects that require heavy dedication of both adventure mode and Fort mode?
I've been nicknaming this (or in general DF features that only seem possible by switching between fort and adventure mode a lot) 'hybrid play'.

How does one give expedition leader titles to other entities?
I think this is the order of actions...

• Made a fort.
  • Retired.
  • Made a (flying) adventurer.
  • Went to retired fort.
  • Smooched up to militia commander by giving them named trinkets, then asked to become a member of the militia
  • Retired adventurer
  • Un-retired fort.
  • Made adventurer, who is now part of the fort, the expedition leader
  • retired fort (?)
  • Took adventurer down to the underworld via, I guess a cave, but it might also be via a dark fortress or just breaching the hfs, looking for a demon
  • Smooched up to demon, via I guess trinkets?, asked them to become a militia commander.
  • Brought them back to fort
  • Unretired fort
  • Made demon an expedition leader

I happen to know 5 can also be replaced by playing the fort until it gets holdings and retiring your adventurer at one of those, but that takes a bit more time in fort mode, and the more time you spend in fort mode, the more the unretire bugs become obvious.

Hm... maybe we should make a wiki page called 'hybrid play' or something and document this type of stuff.

There you go: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Hybrid_playstyle

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16258 on: March 02, 2021, 03:08:15 am »

• Made a fort.
  • Retired.
  • Made a (flying) adventurer.
  • have adventurer be part of the fort through backgrounds to skip some steps and go to step 7 otherwise.
  • Went to/start at retired fort.
  • Smooched up to militia commander by giving them named trinkets, then asked to become a member of the militia
  • also find and smooch up the expedition leader to convince(get into a conversation where you have the last word in and they didn't auto reply back you can do this with talking about natural surroundings and the weather and go into the demand submenu, exit out and wait a tick for them to reply... and repeat until...) them to give up their title to the adventurer which technically makes them part of the fort which saves a retire on migrating them into the fort
  • Retired adventurer
  • Un-retired fort.
  • Made adventurer, who is now part of the fort, the expedition leader unless you already have done this prior then make them the military commander instead
  • retired fort (?)
  • Took adventurer down to the underworld through through adv camps possibly right next to the fort to cut down wandering in a harsh environment and building a zone deep into the underworld that warps you directly there, you might need 2 adventurers for this and assigning them to zones and telling them to wait. also the process of building a underworld zone requires blind scanning for a floor tile down there which after you successfully find one you can edit and clean up the zone and build and construct safety rooms to not instantly get your adventurer turbo killed via, I guess a cave, but it might also be via a dark fortress or just breaching the hfs, looking for a demon
  • carefully wander around in the underworld looking for anyone who can talk... you can test this out by attempting to pet them, if you can pet them then they aren't sapient. talking to a demon has consequences with making them a historical figure and freeing them on to the surface which what you're trying to do is find one that at least talkitive enough to willingly accept the expedition leader title after you do so you just retire as fast as possible. Smooched up to demon, via I guess trinkets?, asked them to become a militia commander.
  • Brought them back to fort
  • Unretired fort
  • Expedition leader Demon will either walk out of the fort from the underworld back to the fort on the surface and be fort playable or uhh they are on the surface and they just walk away to walk back in... with minor casualties
  • relax realizing you Made demon an expedition leader and knowing you acquired a being that at least a step up from a vampire

since it been a while since that list was made some improvements on this process has been discovered mostly being able to talk folks out of being a noble cut down the retiring and the 2 week wait periods.

the process to giving the expedition leader to other entities is mostly getting it on to the adventurer then making a journey to give it to who ever you want.
from my tests on this, folks given the expedition leader title will most likely wander over to the player fort and reside there.
I had seen this happen with night trolls, ettins, uhh random folks in the woods, a human criminal, and a bunch of fiends.
though with most of these folks vanilla wise I had to hope for them to drop the expedition leader role to pick up the military commander role on their own so that I can get them into the military squad and sent off on a mission.
which might lead to 'either the game gives them military commander from all the dead nobles or that there aren't any nobles in that position so the game just gives it to them.

to cut down on this I'm currently playing a slight mod that just gives expedition leaders a military squad of their own so that I could just send the leader off on a trip if I need to get them labors.
this also has the fun result of being able to shuffle around who gets to be expedition leader from the military screen and a possible emergency 'oops the leader I set up hasn't return better grab a different one.'
so far I'm happy there's a vanilla method to this as it means modding makes it easier, and using dfhack is the easiest.
oh and doing this brings up the risk of who ever you bring to the fort could possibly get murdered by the fort... and or murder the fort but if you already got them labors the game doesn't care if the last one alive was or is just a pissed off giant who survived a siege onslaught.

oh wow that hybrid playstyle wiki article is wonderful.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16259 on: March 04, 2021, 03:34:12 pm »

Gone from the game since v43, back again. I've had a string of failed adventurers this version while getting used to the new threats, experiments and revenants ("intelligent dead" has too many syllables for such a lame term, so I'll just call them "revs" for now on.) I've finally got a successful character, an elf from a human civ, which I haven't done in a long time, and a female character, also haven't done in a long time.

Background: Like most human civs this world, it's actually dominated by centuries old elven and goblin expatriates from elven and goblin civs with centuries old grudges and a lot of bloodlust. These lands have been at constant war for the millennia since time began, with many settlements changing hands in conquests, and many settlements abandoned for no clear reason by their latest occupiers. Outlaws have filled in the voids they leave, providing more security and decency than the major civs did. The nearest dwarven civ is eating itself alive, leaving their many fortresses in blissfully lag-free ruins for me to plunder. There are two goblin civs divided by many intervening nations, yet still war on each other. Also, their demon lord's binding artifacts were conveniently located close to the other's.

My journey so far: I was a faithful and appreciated hearthie for my goblin baron, until I kicked off a loyalty spiral by apprehending a murderer among the keep's staff. When the clergy seized control and the taverns went dry, I headed off to the next largest city I could find. It was a prosperous settlement with >800 years of stability, and after making my name by slaying the local night troll consorts, I was accepted as hearthie by the elven baron there.

War was probably inevitable after I brought back so many artifacts and stored them in the keep. While I was away subverting and slaying goblin forces, one war began and ended, taking the life of my baron. I retired briefly to put a competent puppet on the throne of the capital, but as smooth as he was at interpersonal relations, a self-proclaimed lord just isn't the same as a civ-appointed baron. And forces against my new civ begin amassing for a greater onslaught.

So now I'm taking the fight to them. With me are my companions Xosun "totally not the Gray Fiend Master of the Flies of Slaughter" and Zatthud the Massive Eggplant Master of The Witch of Clasps. Though they were at war, they get along rather well now, probably united in their distrust and loathing of this elven woman who has bent their wills. If I decide to raise hell in the Ardent Roars lands, they would be the best weapons of mass destruction.

EDIT: Lest I forget: the last war took out a lot of ruling council, so I was promoted to Judge. I don't know what they do, I just know that they don't get any cool missions, they don't get a salary, and they don't get any of the cool houses now left vacant by deceased owners. It's what a judge needs -- a tower with all the furniture crowded into one room and no beds.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:43:55 pm by Uzu Bash »
Pages: 1 ... 1082 1083 [1084] 1085 1086 ... 1103