Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2015505 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16440 on: November 22, 2021, 05:10:00 pm »

oh and a way to hotfix the issue of losing drinks due to unretiring by giving yourself enough plumphelmets to brew back the loss.

Dunno if the Plump Helmets would remain.  Food items usually disappear between retire and unretire, but seeds maybe survive?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16441 on: November 22, 2021, 06:42:16 pm »

I just generated a world unlike any I have ever seen.

Normally, I don't have the patience to generate worlds much more than 100-150 years old; once the living population hits 10000 worldgen slows down to a crawl.  With my experiments to make the world as violent as possible I can occasionally get up to 250.
I don't know how it happened, but somehow the world just never reached that threshold.  The living population never managed to hit 1000, and worldgen ran at full speed until the year 1000.

The culprit, it seems, was the timely appearance and dominance of no fewer than nine towers, and an endless war between cyberneticists and sorcerers.  The living population could barely manage to survive between the endless waves of zombies from the south and cyborgs from the north.  And with no heroes to keep them in check, the hydras began to breed...

There is only one civilization that still remains in its ancestral home, a single surviving shokan fort deep in the mountains.  The entire rest of the world's sapient population lives scattered in camps, monasteries, forts, and towers.

There is also one tower, Profaneclasps, that is at the center of its very own Mordor - an evil region a 10 minimized map tiles in diameter, rivalling the size of some primordial evil regions.  Over the course of the world's history there was one other tower with a region to rival it, but it faded away over the course of worldgen, which is odd since the sorcerer who constructed it still lives there.  I wonder what actually causes towers to corrupt their surroundings.

The world is basically a post-apocalyptic nightmare of undead, technology, and monsters.  There are even a few demon revenant cyborgs running around.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16442 on: November 23, 2021, 08:43:37 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179115.msg8330967#msg8330967

Do you remember the "epic, but somehow wholesome" little world where the big birb ruled over all and got all the prayerz? Yeah, that worlds fucked. Really, really fucked. And I learned not the easy or hard way, but in the scariest way possible.

As soon as I entered character creator to adventure, I realised that something was off with this world. Only humans were available to play. No elves, dwarves, goblins, intelligent wilderness creatures. Nothing except humans.

I was also surprised why the world generation suddenly got faster in the time after 590's when I was generating the world. But I didn't really paid it mind at that time.

So anyways, I set up an hero level adventurer, starting from a human village. I just got out of my house and approached another to talk to somebody. Some yellow and red "!" symbols staryed to flash inside the nearby house. Then a pack of zombies rushed out of the building I was going towards, swarmed and killed me. I tried to run away, and manage to take two of them down before going down myself. Unsettling, but I shook it off.

I tried again, this time, I started in a dwarven fort. I selected the demigod setting and properly geared myself up.

Only to die horribly in less than 10 seconds.

I took one step, and the unknown place on my leftt got instantly filled with at least an hundred or so yellow and red "!" symbols and then a horde of zombies tore me apart. Genuinely freaked me out, you know, with the dark atmosphere and all.

I guess this isn't that rare of an occurance, and neither is cool as the one up this post, but it is still spooky nontheless.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16443 on: November 23, 2021, 01:03:46 pm »

oh and a way to hotfix the issue of losing drinks due to unretiring by giving yourself enough plumphelmets to brew back the loss.

Dunno if the Plump Helmets would remain.  Food items usually disappear between retire and unretire, but seeds maybe survive?
well I just tested this with plump helmets and they seem to stay intact long enough between the two week wait, though yeah you could do with seeds if you feel comfortable.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16444 on: November 27, 2021, 08:24:08 am »

Avenging my fallen friend, I slaugtered all sentients other than me in the castle Beautygrouped.

Be it by breaking their neck, strangling them, hacking them to bits, or in one case, evisceration, they all fell before me.

Yet my mission to drive a group from there is not done. I can't find anyone else there, but when I go to report to my lady, I tell her that it will be done, rather than that it is.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16445 on: November 28, 2021, 03:36:16 pm »

A while ago, I decided to retire my first serious fort, Silverystocked, to make a new and better one with the experience I gathered.

But before I embarked again, I wanted to see my fortress in first person. I made a Cardinal Man adventurer, because flight is just too good to ever pass. Then I went in.

I got inside and immidiately saw something wrong. Water everywhere. Flowing from inside the fortress. With batrays and glasseyes inside. They probably dug into the sea floor as soon as I left them alone. Idiots. There were only a handful of dwarves still roaming inside, so I assume the rest was in the meeting area/guild halls/temples floor, where they all met their wet, watery, briny doom.

I thought I would see the fort as a battlescarred ruin or something in some distant future. Instead it is a saltwater aquarium for the rest of eternity. I "retired" my adventurer there, to presumably also drown.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 03:38:43 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16446 on: November 29, 2021, 09:07:32 am »

if you embarked next to an ocean or on the beach it is possible for the fort to get flooded on adv arrival or on unretire.

unless you made an above ground fort. though you could roll up an aquatic adventurer and just dive into the aquatic ruins to see the flooded halls.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16447 on: November 29, 2021, 04:54:04 pm »

if you embarked next to an ocean or on the beach it is possible for the fort to get flooded on adv arrival or on unretire.

unless you made an above ground fort. though you could roll up an aquatic adventurer and just dive into the aquatic ruins to see the flooded halls.

It was a savage island fort with half the embark being ocean. Yes I was on the coast.

Aquatic adventuring sounds fun though.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16448 on: November 29, 2021, 07:38:00 pm »

Yeah, there's a bug that causes any excavated tunnels below the ocean biome to be full of water every time the map loads. Any section of your fort below the ocean will start full of water which will flood the rest of the fort.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16449 on: December 01, 2021, 02:48:50 am »

All this talk of flooded forts reminded me of Ocarina of Time's infamous water temple and that just gave me an amazing idea for a forum game: constructing Zelda style puzzle dungeons in fort mode, abandoning the fort, sending the save to other players, and having them complete the dungeons in adventure mode.

Has anyone done this yet?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16450 on: December 01, 2021, 03:38:33 am »

All this talk of flooded forts reminded me of Ocarina of Time's infamous water temple and that just gave me an amazing idea for a forum game: constructing Zelda style puzzle dungeons in fort mode, abandoning the fort, sending the save to other players, and having them complete the dungeons in adventure mode.

You may want to check out the museum III game. There are no specific instructions to build puzzle dungeons, but it can be done. The world has close to 40 player build fortresses, and over 60 adventurers have played during 126 years of active play time.

There's quite a bit that could be done with mechanisms and traps to make fortresses interesting. I'm not sure if any fortresses in the museum world really explore those concepts, but there are some very complex and interesting places to visit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:45:50 am by Bralbaard »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16451 on: December 01, 2021, 01:34:13 pm »

Seconding the above; there's definitely a few forts worth taking a look at for architectural inspiration, at least. If you're willing to jump back to 34.11, a few of the first Museum's fortresses (like Combinedlocks, prior to FPS death) might be good for puzzles specifically, though that was long before my time and the mechanics likely have changed since then.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16452 on: December 03, 2021, 09:39:37 am »

I'm starting a new adventure based around my fort conquering the entirety of this pocket world
I did a game once after I conquered a goblin civ and played adventure mode and basically the entire region melted down into revolutions, riots and banditry

So I'm excited to see what happens if we take the entire world and occupy it!

Our current world is entirely dominated by elves. Less than 100 residents left of the nearby human civilization and none of them are human. Humanity is extinct sadly.
Dwarves took over the necromancer tower and the elves conquered all the goblins except 20 who are split between two dark pits

Well, let's get started!

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16453 on: December 09, 2021, 12:13:24 pm »

Every embark starts with randomly named dorfs, except for two. There is always a dorf named Uli and Edom. Uli is an average cook at best, but phantoms himself to be a chef of great renown. He is a jack of quite a few trades but certainly a master of none. He is my animal caretaker dorf. He prefers to be alone and prefers the company of animals over other dorfs. He likes dwarven rum and silver bars. Edom is the only dorf he can really stand to be around. Edom is the brewer and Uli mostly puts up with him because of the free sampling of experimental new drinks Edom comes up with. Edom's specialty is Swamp Whiskey, which he derives from muck roots. Uli *loves* muck roots for their twisting shape.

As I was going through legends mode I surprisingly enough noticed a surname almost identical to Edom's. This was my first attempt at LegendsViewer and Adventure mode. I really had not the slightest clue how amazing the story telling element of this sim is. I was ignorant thinking that legends mode just adds some minor details to the world my dwarves reside in. I had no idea of the level of depth that is added. It turned out to be a toy boat, that threw me into an adventure I never had expected. This was also was my first attempt at Adventure mode. 

"In the year 90, in the village of Authorchannels, Vabok Learntools created Slidewave the Umbral Blade, a toy boat that was crafted so expertly that it became a symbol of power."

Slidewave the Umbral Blades was a legendary slate toy boat.

This is a slate toy boat. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with goose bone and encircled with band of giant cave spider silk. This object
menaces with spikes of giant rat bone and nickel.

As I said before, Vabok's last name caught my eye so I started looking into this interesting dwarf that had resided in my fortress' world.

Vabok, by trade was a brewer, much like Edom. He grew up in Authorchannels where he met a fair young dwarven maiden named Stukos Wheelhouse. They became lovers in the year 90, and that same year Vabok created the infamous Slidewave the Umbral Blade (an artifact which now often goes by the name "Vabok's Revenge" as it is believed to now be a cursed item). I assumed the toy was made to celebrate the coming birth of a new dwarven child...to my horror I was wrong. As I kept reading I learned that that very year, Stukos left Vabok and became a peddler :o  in a nearby city and took on a new lover! Now this on its own was bad enough, to my horror she didn't tell Vabok about this new lover for 3 years. They finally broke up in the year 93. I never figured the story lines would be so exciting and interesting.

Vabok now had a legendary toy boat, no wife and no baby. Now I found out that Vabok actually was the great-grandson of the king of Pinkorbs (his great-uncle is a renowned vampire), so I assume he had some connections, though he was a simple dwarf of simple means. He ends up giving the slate toy boat to a ruler of Authorchannels, a high ranking member of the "Invisible Gravel". It was intended for the governor's new born son, but the governor was so taken by the toy boat that he makes it an artifact. Legendsviewer tells me that the artifact was made "A symbol of Office 24". So very intriguing!

What I learned from there is that Slidewave was moved to Pinkorbs for storage. Now Pinkorbs is the main citadel of my world, it was created in the year 1. What an amazing honor that Vabok's toy boat would be wielded by the rulers of Pinkorbs! The artifact was kept in storage for 22 years but then it was wielded once more by two rulers of Pinkorbs. The latest, Count Reg Tombmoistness is the singular pursuit if my current quest. I quickly created two stout dwarves in adventure mode that fit the bill perfectly for Uli and Edom, and set forth to Pinkorbs. A citadel city wayyyy to large for two simple dwarves of my creating.

The story of poor Vabok didn't end well. Legends states he moved to a new hamlet called Boltsjade where he met and married a grim hunter dwarf. It merely states he "started wandering the wilds". I assume poor Vabok never got over his beautiful Stukos. She took his heart, and maybe even his only child.

In the year 105, Vabok was slain by the hydra Smospe Furblossomed the Certain Rawness. I intend to find this beast of course.

Currently Uli and Edom are wandering the citadel city of Pinkorbs. The sights! the smells! There are busy vendors, the hustle and bustle of city life. Never did two dwarves see so much in a day!
This is where I left of. I took the time to write all this because I never, not in a million years, thought this kind of gaming was possible until last night when I realized "fortress mode", "Legend mode" and Adventure mode" are not three games within one. It's one, all encompassing way to get completely lost in a world, that is so rich, its almost tangible.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 01:05:08 pm by DwarfUli »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16454 on: December 11, 2021, 01:53:56 pm »

Help?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1095 1096 [1097] 1098 1099 ... 1103