Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1994963 times)

HansBr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16485 on: August 25, 2022, 12:50:37 pm »

First of Granite, time to look back on the old year. It was a year like no one before.
The queen showed up, a demon that threw over my civilization some hundred years ago. Accompanied by a single goblin who was her outpost liaison and is now also my mayor. Not sure if I like that.
I got visited by an ettin who seems to have been a collector of necromantic items. The slabs are now in a temple of death, the bone throne is the queen's throne. Fitting for a demon I think.
Also I got visited by the last remaining forest titan. And now I am in the age of goblins.

What a year. Time to conquer some more goblin towns. A couple of those also have demons. Let's see if my queen can do something about that.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16486 on: August 26, 2022, 03:49:41 pm »

got done(so far) with modifying an old warmist script that switches between fort mode and adv mode(had posted the latest version in the dfhack thread). Currently been testing this script on a goblin run tavern hoping to get milk industry set up for said tavern.
ended up getting some helping hands from a local site that seem to be having an army march towards them and pick up 2 fort workers and like several friendly faces that probably petition after a year or 2 of staying at the place.

oh yeah and I met a dwarf bard standing in the middle of a pond once.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16487 on: August 26, 2022, 04:11:47 pm »

A perfect place to write poetry and song

What's the best way to do fort/adv mode swapping currently? Like, how do you avoid crashes?

An update to your adventure home making thread would be nice, a modernization if you will, of how to bodyswap/modeswap in the current version
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: August 27, 2022, 10:56:33 am »

A perfect place to write poetry and song

What's the best way to do fort/adv mode swapping currently? Like, how do you avoid crashes?

An update to your adventure home making thread would be nice, a modernization if you will, of how to bodyswap/modeswap in the current version
well funny you mention that since uhh I dust off and updated the thread since may 2022.
though currently I guess I could update it a bit more to cover the tofort modifications.

though the best way to do fort/adv mode swapping I think would be when I go update the topfort.lua script with the recent changes I made as that one would just be focused on your player fort and maybe campsite civs and not the prone to be chaotic switching directly on a pre-gen site.

though to cover for the current script I think what ever your adventurer's starting background would be their fort mode's entity when you switch over. so getting someone who starts from a player fort should mean when where ever you go you pretty much boot up that fort's entity.
I haven't really figure out the best with this given most of my tests were done on campsites and player forts.
if you could enlist your followers to your fort's military you could probably get around to controlling them as a squad in fort mode.

like I'm currently experimenting how much this opens up hybrid play given this does open the door to adv vs invaders and other fort mode activities.
oh yeah crashes so far the only known crash I think could happen is if you save the game in fort mode then use the script to switch back to your adventurer and attempt to fast travel.
as the solution to that would be to re-apply any bodyswap script on top of the adventurer again.

this does open the door to quicksaves for adv mode but only in campsites and player forts.

oh yeah probably the best use of this script is probably in sites in sizes around 4x4 and smaller. as running this in a town or pre-gen location will eventually resize the map to 16x16.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 02:29:52 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16489 on: August 28, 2022, 08:20:32 pm »

Well, my character and her pet elephant were woken up by a pack of dingoes who almost overwhelmed us before we killed most of them and chased the rest away.  So...that's fun.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16490 on: September 01, 2022, 10:30:59 pm »

ok so went back and tweak the tofort script again after realizing the one I posted had no migrant or merchant or visitors showing up and currently got a somewhat unknown stable build.
which kinda gives off the feeling of getting folks to show up to a campsite you set up then possible means to talk to them in adv mode learn about their history and maybe get them to stay awhile.

oh and keas will rip your arms off while stealing your stuff.
watch out for that while using this script.

edit: during one of my tofort runs I had 2 visitors show up and ended up impressed by my adventurer's speeches that they just agreed to join as hearthpersons.
after some light checks on why they really shown up to the site I learn the whereabouts of a site called cuddlefight which these two visitors were sent from to retrieve some silver whip.
said whip isn't even at this site I'm barely managing, so now I'm pondering what to do with this information as I could just attempt to wipe cuddlefight off the map or try to seize it for my adventurer.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:16:53 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: September 24, 2022, 04:35:42 pm »

I found a region of the world where my character started to melt and bleed out.  If I hadn't reacted quickly and did a U-turn I think she would have died. 

I truly made a horrible world.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: September 26, 2022, 12:02:31 pm »

25ish days later and hit the point where most of my adventures have been 'oh taking care of issues that happen in fort mode... in adv mode' or getting really giddy on visitors showing up thinking about what possible shenanigans I could pull off with jumping into an adventurer and talking to them.

so far my latest 'hasn't crash yet' run has been this lisa the dwarful save where I'm playing 2 adventurers who just travel the region and return to this outpost in hopes of trading the goods for better living conditions. the outpost handlechews has reach the lower levels of the caverns and I'm suddenly regretting going down there as Adv mode likes to repopulate locations on map load which made re-visiting handlechews a state of keeping the cavern door locked until all the cavern creatures have killed themselves from infighting then the wasters could safely wander in and collect the corpses.

other than the problem that mostly fixes itself, I been exploring the locations near handlechews and been getting info on bandit camps for future targets for hybrid play antics, and have my eyes set on a lair that pop up from one of the small talks with the offsite locals when asked about what's the current troubling news going on.

oh and I learn fast traveling can save someone from being splashed with magma and burning to death.

"body swapping and YOU!"

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16493 on: October 04, 2022, 04:36:46 am »

Worldgen generated a cave-in right as I found a night troll, breaking my and my companion's neck.

The night troll then took off my shirt and beat me to death with it.

I hunted night trolls and bandits.

Imagine getting a new job as a hearthsperson in a village and then some random guy wearing armor made of night troll bones convinces you to go on "adventures" with him, then later that night a cliff collapses on you and you die soon after by a night troll.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16494 on: October 08, 2022, 05:48:44 am »

ok during one of my adv sessions I started in an bandit camp that seems to have a child playing around.
thinking shoot why not jump into fort mode and check the descriptions of the folks around me, I ended up noticing this kid was a prisoner that became a soldier for this site.
but not only that but their uncle is also part of the camp and was also a prisoner turn soldier.

which seems like a rough start for someone being captured and put to banditry at age 8, then I notice everyone in this site share the common 'prisoner turn soldier for the group'  but the adventurer.
 kinda left me wondering if adventurers were killing Converted Prisoners the whole time even those that started young? or probably not every camp is a bandit camp?

in actually adv mode interaction means I screw around on a different save since the previous one started on a sorrow note where I tested mounted combat.

riding on an alligator and noticing very lil on the force damage increase on speed but there is means to defend the mount from the attacker through use of wrestling.
ended up getting an additional shield out of this encounter.

"body swapping and YOU!"

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16495 on: October 08, 2022, 09:18:46 am »

which seems like a rough start for someone being captured and put to banditry at age 8, then I notice everyone in this site share the common 'prisoner turn soldier for the group'  but the adventurer.
 kinda left me wondering if adventurers were killing Converted Prisoners the whole time even those that started young? or probably not every camp is a bandit camp?
Refugees fleeing invading armies will form camps in worldgen. Sometimes they'll later settle in other sites later, but sometimes they stay in the camp forever.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: October 19, 2022, 02:31:15 am »

I ran into the problem in Fortress Mode that the enemy civilization has too many web-shooting elephant demons for me to conquer them in Fortress Mode, so I created some steel and adamantine gear and switched to Adventure Mode. Now I’m trying to train my adventurer into an unstoppable killing machine so that I can clear out the demons in Adventure Mode.

Training my dodge, shield, and armor user skills is going well, but training axe skills with an adamantine axe is proving to be… entertainingly difficult  8)

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16497 on: October 19, 2022, 08:02:20 pm »

Get a different axe then. You can find training axes in mead halls sometimes.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: October 19, 2022, 08:42:46 pm »

Oh yeah, you just can make wooden training axes.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16499 on: October 21, 2022, 05:13:27 pm »

Finally got around to making the "master wizard" character I've been thinking of since .47 came out, whose magical powers come from repeatedly dying and being resurrected as various intelligent undead. After a few hiccups I found a system that works pretty well.

I started with two characters: the soon-to-be wizard (a mountain goat man named Kubuk Ramcrown); and his "apprentice" (the human Artuk Frosthand). Artuk would learn all the secrets of life and death available in the world, so that he could resurrect Kubuk in the different undead forms.

Then Kubuk had to die. The first death was easy: he drowned by swimming under a bridge, I switched to Artuk and resurrected Kubuk (who was still considered one of the party, and I could swap back into him). But after that dying is a little more finicky, since intdead can't suffocate or bleed out (the important consideration being to preserve bodily integrity: if the body is too smashed up, even minor wounds may kill an intdead). Initially I wanted to freeze Kubuk in ice, wait for the thaw, and resurrect the corpse... but for some reason it seems a freeze-killed corpse can't be raised, or even reanimated. Don't know why.

So I had to resort to the much slower process of having Kubuk "starve" in the wilderness (which is apparently possible for an undead...), ending the game; then (after two weeks) unretiring Artuk, journeying back to the site and resurrecting Kubuk, then retiring Artuk; then (after another two weeks) unretiring Kubuk and starving again. So every transformation takes a month... which is actually sort of cool; becoming a powerful wizard should take a while.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I didn't actually call myself "Landraven the Elder"... I don't know why it says that. Kinda cool though)

The results are pretty great:
That's seven different intdead interactions, nine different powers. Sicken, Dizziness, Suffocate, and Blind are all good debuffs, equivalent to inflicting the same statuses through combat (though Suffocate and Blind don't last very long, I find). Paralyze is quite powerful, making a foe completely helpless for a time (it also seems to wear off relatively quickly), and is very useful for catching fleeing opponents. Propel Away is of course great fun, though I've yet to see it do any serious damage. And launching ice bolts, well...
Haven't tried Vanish yet, but having had intdead use it on me in the past I imagine it's pretty OP.

In addition, one becomes incredibly strong through successive resurrection:
I was also able to carry an entire cave dragon corpse without losing speed, so that's cool.
In fact, I actually got *so* strong that I think I broke the game's upper limit on strength: after my eighth resurrection I found that picking up anything - even a >1 weight amulet - dropped my speed to 0.099! I rolled back the save to the seventh resurrection, and that seems to be fine - that may, then, be the soft cap on multiple resurrections.

Also deserving of honorable mention (though unrelated to my wizard experiment) is Kubuk's faithful donkey, Rimtar - who, despite being a completely normal donkey (no undead shenanigans here) has turned out to be an absolute merciless menace on the battlefield:
A kill list like that probably puts ol' Rimtar in, like, the top 50 most killingest creatures of all time in this world. She's absolutely brutal:
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)