Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1099 1100 [1101] 1102 1103

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 1995395 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #16500 on: October 21, 2022, 11:29:36 pm »

Finally got around to making the "master wizard" character I've been thinking of since .47 came out, whose magical powers come from repeatedly dying and being resurrected as various intelligent undead. After a few hiccups I found a system that works pretty well.
-snip-

ok so some tips to work around being extremely strong you could try dipping into riding a mount everywhere you go as encumbrance is shifted to the mount's inventory than the rider.
second set of tips vanish is basically an interaction version of hiding or well the player ambush button.
 vanish feels op against the player due to the game doesn't have any detect hidden for the player... it does for npcs and in fort mode but not the player so you're pretty much dealing with folks using the ambush skill much better than any player could.
propel is great on smaller creatures and the smaller they are the more serious the damage it could have.
though it works neat for tossing folks through fortifications or pits you build in adv camps.
though given you got a bunch of ranged interactions folks sneaking around in ambush wouldn't be too much of a hassle given you could use those to find and target them for ranged attacks.

so far I'm currently poking around how to make the adv lord nobility stuff function well in fort mode, it's a bit of a headache for realizing vanilla adv lords only get like 20 troops and have to join their own squad on raids, which isn't that bad but does limit the playstyle of an adv start unless I swipe expedition leader title off some dwarven site.

So far on the tofort testing I reach the 'willing to map a keybind for the scripts' on code reliability. which often leads to moments where a fort goes south fast and getting the urge to just pop into adv mode and wander off and explore the world a bit before returning to the fort and tackling fixing the mess that got made.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16501 on: October 23, 2022, 01:08:39 pm »

I was also able to carry an entire cave dragon corpse without losing speed, so that's cool.
In fact, I actually got *so* strong that I think I broke the game's upper limit on strength: after my eighth resurrection I found that picking up anything - even a >1 weight amulet - dropped my speed to 0.099! I rolled back the save to the seventh resurrection, and that seems to be fine - that may, then, be the soft cap on multiple resurrections.

Wow! I didn't even know that was possible. I thought strength was hard capped way before then. Cool find.

Gnomedevourer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16502 on: October 23, 2022, 01:34:39 pm »

I was also able to carry an entire cave dragon corpse without losing speed, so that's cool.
In fact, I actually got *so* strong that I think I broke the game's upper limit on strength: after my eighth resurrection I found that picking up anything - even a >1 weight amulet - dropped my speed to 0.099! I rolled back the save to the seventh resurrection, and that seems to be fine - that may, then, be the soft cap on multiple resurrections.

I think (keyword think, it may be different) I found something similar when I was making some just like utterly insane things (super super strong monsters and stuff), I believe I found that it's connected to muscles if I remember right?(my memory is fairly poor, so don't trust this quite yet) I should test it again soon, very cool that you can accomplish a similar thing in vanilla though! also good work! it's amazing that you managed to set that all up!
tried to balance a mod, once upon a time, fell and scraped my knee, ain't doing that again.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16503 on: October 24, 2022, 08:00:38 pm »

Yeah, it took some figuring out; but the actual resurrection process is pretty easy, just tedious. The main hassle was just getting all the different secrets. I used Legends Viewer to find all the slabs (and what secrets they held: sometimes there's duplicates of the same secret), and was fortunate that most of them were located fairly nearby.

It occurred to me you could find and procure the slabs in a more immersive way by using Fort Mode missions to recover or steal them (since I think all artifacts are included on the mission list). But that would require having a raid-ready fortress available beforehand.

(And then: there's no guarantee the powers will be any good. Most are at least situationally useful, even Raise Fog, but some (like bleeding, blisters) are pretty lame.)

Now the question is: what to do with an ultra-powerful wizard?
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16504 on: October 24, 2022, 08:19:56 pm »

Now the question is: what to do with an ultra-powerful wizard?
Rid the world of undeath not loyal to you and you alone.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16505 on: October 25, 2022, 11:00:33 am »

Initially I wanted to freeze Kubuk in ice, wait for the thaw, and resurrect the corpse... but for some reason it seems a freeze-killed corpse can't be raised, or even reanimated. Don't know why.
Quick note concerning this' you can in fact resurrect frozen corpeses' but you need to unload the area first' I think. I had a previous adventurer's body hibernating in ice for a century in The Museum succession and couldn't raise him at first' but after traveling elsewhere he resurrected just fine. This could speed up the cycle quite a bit.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16506 on: October 29, 2022, 10:13:10 am »

So, what are the different qualities that an npc considers when deciding to say yes or no to your request to "Join you on adventures"?

I ask because I played three different adventurers and explored different things

High persuasion had a better effect

But also two of my adventurers had the same persuasion, but one recruited from humans and elves
and the other recruited from goblin dark pits.
The goblin had a whole army in just one dark pit visit
So, do the personal values of the npcs also count? Npcs who desire violence or martial prowess are more likely to agree?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16507 on: October 30, 2022, 09:16:25 pm »

So, what are the different qualities that an npc considers when deciding to say yes or no to your request to "Join you on adventures"?

I ask because I played three different adventurers and explored different things

High persuasion had a better effect

But also two of my adventurers had the same persuasion, but one recruited from humans and elves
and the other recruited from goblin dark pits.
The goblin had a whole army in just one dark pit visit
So, do the personal values of the npcs also count? Npcs who desire violence or martial prowess are more likely to agree?

so far from what I gathered it's tied to excitement seeking and if you don't have too many followers currently on map.
for the first option
the join for entertainment looks for artwork and the follower cap, and if you did a decent enough performance once in your adventurer's life.
unlike excitement seeking you can argue someone into liking art enough to the point of convincing them to be an entertainer.
also if the person duty bound they would be more likely to not agree to join you, until you take the noble position off of them.

"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16508 on: October 30, 2022, 10:22:15 pm »

I found that if you kill your pet, resurrect them and then gift them to someone else, your game will crash.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16509 on: October 31, 2022, 02:39:20 am »

I found that if you kill your pet, resurrect them and then gift them to someone else, your game will crash.
is that vanilla resurrect or reanimate because,
that might be tied to "gifting someone else your pet while they aren't in the area will crash the game" thing
like since the gifting option draws from the pet's historical figure which I guess links into the unit.

and the crash happens when there's no unit tied to the historical figure to give to another historical figure that's tied to a unit.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16510 on: October 31, 2022, 05:00:15 am »

Ooh, that might be what happened. I thought they were still with me but maybe not.

It's not vanilla interactions no.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16511 on: November 07, 2022, 06:35:01 pm »

Continuing the adventures of Kubuk Ramcrown "the Magnificent Silence," mountain goat man master wizard. Sometimes you do get lucky with the propel power:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for super strength: in addition to being able to kick folks around (literally), Kubuk can also knock them about like croquet balls with his artifact iron maul:
And can strangle a T-Rex with his bare hands:
He can also carry the corpse of giant in each hand, without slowing down (I know this because I am collecting said corpses for a raid on a certain mysterious structure [hopefully to obtain some special servants...]. Rimtar, my faithful donkey, is currently carrying four of the big guys, plus the aforementioned T-Rex and a handful of yetis).

It strikes me as somehow the nerdiest thing imaginable to use death magic to get absolutely jacked. Who needs the gym?
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #16512 on: November 08, 2022, 10:53:15 am »

Continuing the adventures of Kubuk Ramcrown "the Magnificent Silence," mountain goat man master wizard.
When DF unapologetically caters to the male fantasy

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16513 on: November 08, 2022, 03:53:35 pm »

Incredible

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile