Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: SCRIPT FRENZY: It's own our personal Writing Arc.  (Read 15460 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SCRIPT FRENZY: It's own our personal Writing Arc.
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:33:19 am »

KISS GOODBYE TO LOVE AND MELT YOUR FINGERS TO THE KEYBOARDS FOLKS

It's Script Frenzy time.

t-minus ?? FUCK I LOST COUNT ?? DAYS (April 30th)

Code: [Select]
1) To be crowned an official Script Frenzy winner, you must write a script (or multiple scripts) of at least 100 total pages and verify this tally on ScriptFrenzy.org.*
2) You may write individually or with a partner. Writing teams will have a 100-page total goal for their co-written script or scripts.
3) Script writing may begin no earlier than 12:00:01 AM on April 1 and must cease no later than 11:59:59 PM on April 30, local time.
4) You may write screenplays, stage plays, TV shows, short films, comic book and graphic novel scripts, adaptations of novels, or any other type of script your heart desires.
5) You must, at some point, have ridiculous amounts of fun.**

*Bullshit, you can just post your tallies here. I will believe you.
**Fun optional and at certain points of the month, entirely vacant.

100 pages of script. One month. Any genre, so long as it's in script format - television, movie, audio play, radio drama, comic books, plays - if it can be written like a script, it's in, baby. Three and a third pages a day, and then you can pump around your domicile like the king of all reality because you fucking did it, mate.

Time to stop procrastinating. You will not be motivated for 30 days. You will not be inspired for 30 days. If you feel like writing for 3 days out of the 30, you're doing well. But you gotta sit down and write regardless. Just focus on getting words on paper. Don't delete. Don't go backwards. You put one letter after the other and god help me if you hit backspace even to fucking correct your spelling. Write every single damn day and don't you dare cop out by claiming you're a perfectionist or something.

You're just scared.

The deadline is your friend. It is your lover. It is your mother. It is the constant beat by which you now measure your existence. One day. Three and bit pages. One day. Three and a bit pages. Over and over and over again until goddamnit you're doing those three and a bit pages every single day.

This is not about being perfect. This is not about being happy with what you've written. This is not about having a good time. This is about doing something. Bringing down that mountain of bullshit you've built around yourself as an excuse to not write.

SO WHAT IS THIS THREAD?
It's your accountability. If you want in, post. If you want out, hang your head in shame. Keep us all updated with your page counts and hassles. Look to your fellow bay12ers not only as comrades but as competition. This is more than just getting off your butt and doing something. This is a race. Having troubles? Ask away. Just passed a hurdle? Share with us your elation. Make it to the 100 pages? TWENTY THOUSAND HIGH FIVES AND SEXUAL FAVOURS (not really that last bit).

HOLY SHIT I'M IN!
Make your intentions known in this thread, and I'll update your progress here. You don't have to tell us what you're writing about (although if you're writing something that no-one is going to read, what's the point?) but just tell us how many pages you're rubbing out.

Dasleah (13 pages)
I'll be writing a comic book graphic novel because I am a god damn 12 year old sophisticated and articulate neo-gentleman. Also looks like I'll be doing a few game scripts on the side? Who knows if that'll happen now.

Nolor (0 pages)
WILL BE DOING SOMETHING

Cthulhu (3 and 1/2 pages)
Dash Gunmetal: The Movie

Willfor (15 pages)
I will be writing a teleplay in the vain of The Black Company, The Lions of Al-Rassan, M*A*S*H, and House.

Lofn (4 pages)
I'M GOING TO USE THIS AS THE MOTIVATION I NEED TO PUT MY SPRAWLING AND DERANGED COMIC DOWN ON PAPER

IT'S ABOUT AI AND CYBERNETICS AND HOW STUPID SERIOUS ARGUMENTS ABOUT PHILOSOPHY ARE

YEAAAAHHHH

Os Q (0 pages)

mendonca (22 pages)
I'll join as I have:

1) No idea how to write a script
2) No idea how to write dialogue
3) A penchant for dreadful movies
4) Some free time in April

Supermikhail (29 pages)

Katsuun (40 pages)
I decided to adapt my failed When the Dwarves Cry into a script. Yes, I went there. Again. Probably means I'm doomed to fail, but third time's the charm...

Sean Mirrsen (0 pages)
All I have is a plot that's too large for me to handle. Overambitious and over-cliche'd. I don't think I'll have the time to write a script for it, because, well, it's humongous. Sign me up either way, maybe a miracle will happen and my laptop gets repaired so I can finally have a PC on the go.

Dakorma (0 pages)
You can count me in. I've had a plot that would be a good comic book in my head for a while.

LASD (16 pages)
Okay, count one more wanna-be writer down.

I'm going to write "Rambleramble: The Ultimate Rambling Adventure"!

Jackrabbit (7 pages)
I am in, by the way. In case that wasn't clear.

Labs (0 pages)
Oh I am so in. I swear to not have a life for the entire month of April! Mine will most likely be a short film of some sort.

Emperor Jonathan (0 pages)
I'm in. Time to rip shit up.

Geti (8 pages)
Right, I'm in, sorry for the delays.

Grakelin (14 pages)

Your Name Here (0 pages FOR NOW)

RESOURCES:

Fellow Posters - hell, ask away. We all have our own little quirks and areas of interest. Have a Russian character that needs to swear? We've got foul-mouthed vodkasicles that'll stop punching bears long enough to help. Got a badass gunslinger and you don't know shit about guns? We've got members who get hard-ons just from thinking the word 'caliber'. Got technical questions or dramatic queries? We're all one sleazy Uncle away from a mass outbreak of Hamlet up in this bitch. The only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked.

Celtx is a free script-writing word processor. Script writing's not like a lot of other writing. There is a right way and a wrong way to write certain types of scripts. Celtx helps with this because it automates all the rules for you, so you don't have to worry about your stream of ideas being interrupted by thinking about whether or not you've indented your scene description enough.

TVTropes is the place to go when you've got an idea and want to see where people far more intelligent and dedicated than you have taken it. Use it to see how far people have pushed a concept before it's all fallen down around them. Wikiwalk around until it all starts falling into place for you.

GOOD LUCK
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:36:56 pm by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: SCRIPT FRENZY: Or how I learned to shut up and just write.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:05:16 am »

can I just say I want to watch? I know crap about scripts, and I'm already writing something, but your intro there has me rather pumped to see what comes out of this.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:14:31 am »

??? I'm confused: what's with this thread and that site? Is this thread just announcing the challenge for Bay12Forumites?... Or is there a more deep association?...
And about Fellow Posters: is this going to turn into an off-topic discussion to put a shame on any off-topic discussions we've seen before?

Also: feature length film script in 30 days?... Ah, really bad screenplays are in. I see.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:20:04 am »

*Hangs head in shame*

Wait... I posted. WHAT A CONUNDRUM!

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:25 am »

Sounds fun... I'll try it.

I'll be writing a (possibly?) non-ironic story involving high-school drama which culminates in murder. So original.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:38 am »

I'll be writing a (possibly?) non-ironic story involving high-school drama which culminates in murder. So original.

We've already got one of those.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:18:21 am »

Damn.

Plan B: A light-hearted summer romcom. I suppose I'll need to review the relevant trope pages to ensure a quality product.

Spoiler: PLOT (click to show/hide)

Should be easy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:54:58 pm »

WRITING MY MCDONALDPOCALYPSE STORY, OH YEAHHHH
Shoes...

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »

I can't write anything remotely decent to save my life, but I'll definitely be watching this.

Damn.

Plan B: A light-hearted summer romcom. I suppose I'll need to review the relevant trope pages to ensure a quality product.

Spoiler: PLOT (click to show/hide)

Should be easy.

You do realize this will require a (possibly obscure?) Romeo and Juliet reference right?  :P
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:18:44 pm »

I'm thinking about an unofficial sequal to both "The Brain" and "The Crawling Eye" both obscure B movies (though the later was on MST3000)
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »

Hey, how about a sensational Halo movie adaptation? :D

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 04:48:44 pm »

??? I'm confused: what's with this thread and that site? Is this thread just announcing the challenge for Bay12Forumites?... Or is there a more deep association?...
And about Fellow Posters: is this going to turn into an off-topic discussion to put a shame on any off-topic discussions we've seen before?

Also: feature length film script in 30 days?... Ah, really bad screenplays are in. I see.

No deeper association. Bay12 just has a lot of creative people, and I thought that it'd be fun to have a group of people to share misery with. By the very nature of there being no set genre or theme, everything in this topic is immediately on-topic, because everything is about writing.

And 'feature-length' film scripts are at least 90 pages, so you're really doing a bit more. And who gives a flying chucklefuck about quality. It's about output. Getting those words down on pages first, and then you can go over it all with a fine-tooth comb later on. Getting down 100 pages of average story is a million times better than 20 pages of good story.

Quote from: Nolor

WELCOME ABOARD

YOU SHUT UP

This is not about being original or being the next goddamn big thing in screenwriting. This is about words on pages. If that's the kind of story that will best help him get those words on that page, then that's the story he does. Here's a pro-tip: Originality is over-rated. It's the execution that matters. Who cares if it's a story as old as time, it's how you do it, how you put your own unique voice and spin on things that matters.

Quote from: Cthulhu
WRITING MY MCDONALDPOCALYPSE STORY, OH YEAHHHH

OH YEEEEAH MAN

Quote from: Os Q
I'm thinking about an unofficial sequal to both "The Brain" and "The Crawling Eye" both obscure B movies (though the later was on MST3000)

SO ARE YOU IN OR NOT

Quote from: Supermikhail
Hey, how about a sensational Halo movie adaptation?  :D

It can be about whatever the hell you want. If that's the thing that you think will get you writing three and a bit pages a day, then do it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:54:24 pm by Dasleah »

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »

I will be writing a teleplay in the vain of The Black Company, The Lions of Al-Rassan, M*A*S*H, and House.

I'm going to pose as my own team because shit's gonna get real...

(why are these things always starting on the worst months possible for me fffffff)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »

(why are these things always starting on the worst months possible for me fffffff)

THERE IS NEVER A GOOD TIME TO WRITE BECAUSE YOUR BRAIN HATES YOU

WELCOME ABOARD

And that's kinda the point of Script Frenzy. Successful writers aren't successful because they're constantly feeling inspired and good. They're successful because they write, no matter what.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 05:06:33 pm »

THERE IS NEVER A GOOD TIME TO WRITE BECAUSE YOUR BRAIN HATES YOU

WELCOME ABOARD

And that's kinda the point of Script Frenzy. Successful writers aren't successful because they're constantly feeling inspired and good. They're successful because they write, no matter what.
It's not so much lack of inspiration as much as lack of time. November (NaNoWriMo) and April (this) are two very busy months at work for me, and pretty much leave me as a husk of a human being.

I will manage somehow. :(

Edit:

Playing around in Celtx, and trying to get a feel for TV writing. I actually think this program, and I are going to get along nicely. I started doing a little impromptu dialogue, and it immediately saved the characters I was using. It gives a giant thing to describe the character, and a list of all the scenes they are in. Yes, I am definitely going to like this one. :)

Also, I am a very dialogue heavy writer, and it seems like pages are going to be burned through pretty fast. :o
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:22:18 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15