Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Minecraft+Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 76137 times)

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
Minecraft+Dwarf Fortress?
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »

Earlier today Notch (the guy who made http://www.minecraft.net/) said on his blog that he'd make a level importer for Dwarf Fortress if Toady let him. Now, I was thinking that would be awesome. So, whats your ideas?
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft+Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:39:21 pm »

What is it? It costs a monies.

If he wants to import Dwarf Fortress maps, that can already be done; see the memory-scraping utilities.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »

It's a first person mining game,  basically a (real) 3d version of the digging in DF, but without stuff like cave-ins, or all of the other things in DF.  I played a map with a bunch of friends for a LONG time making this huge city.  It was pretty cool.  But now it's not free (or exactly the same as it was then).

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »

Nehh it's not free, cause Notch lives off the sales of it. Course, so does Toady, off donations, I gather.
I guess Notch just has a less obsessed generous playerbase.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

Does he want to import data from DF or export data to it? Importing from should be doable with something like reveal.exe or equivalent(s).

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:11 pm »

I'm also excited for minecraft updates. Not as excited as I am for Dwarf Fortress updates (Which are fewer but larger)
The game is wonderful though, tons of fun. I can see it being a good game to play to take a break from the mind numbing scope of Dwarf Fortress now and then.
(I already bought it, worth it for the cool updates. Infinite worlds? Yes plz.)
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:08 pm »

Does he want to import data from DF or export data to it?
level importer for Dwarf Fortress
::)
memory-scraping utilities.
something like reveal.exe
Except that he's trying to make an engine that supports a maximum map size of 4096 million square kilometers or so...  I think he wants the entire DF world map, not just your fort.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:12 pm »

This has been brought up before.

There are many issues with the conversion of DF maps to Minecraft maps, such as scale and how to convert some tiles to Minecraft tiles. Such as what to do with glass, trees, stairs and the like. Unless each DF tile is translated to a 3x3x3 block, this will encounter many problems.

Bust most of all it would require a person who knows both the DF map format and the Minecraft map format. And very few people know the DF map format well enough to make programs.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11:55 pm »

This has been brought up before.

There are many issues with the conversion of DF maps to Minecraft maps, such as scale and how to convert some tiles to Minecraft tiles. Such as what to do with glass, trees, stairs and the like. Unless each DF tile is translated to a 3x3x3 block, this will encounter many problems.

Bust most of all it would require a person who knows both the DF map format and the Minecraft map format. And very few people know the DF map format well enough to make programs.

You make a bunch of very good points, and I will concede that knowledge of the dwarf fortress map format is certainly a bit lacking, but the rest of your points kinda assume the fact it's some random person who wants to do it when, in this case, it's the developer of Minecraft. I can guarantee he knows the ins and outs of the Minecraft map format far better than any of us could ever hope for.

Still, you are right about Dwarf Fortress' map format not really being understood. Maybe Toady will share some information with Notch that'll make it easier and/or possible. We can always hope.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:48:20 am »

Maybe I'm dumb but wouldn't it even be possible to make a .txt or anything through AutoHotKey or the similar as a map file for minecraft to read?

Input Level to Start
Input Level to Stop
Input map size

Then it just goes through each tile, finding what it is then it will mark it down in the text file.

D,D,D,W,W,W,W,D,D,D
D,D,D,W,O,O,W,D,D,D
D,D,D,W,O,O,W,D,D,D

Then minecraft(aka the maker) since it'd be hard for someone to make a bot for that...would read it

So glass could be its own tile, which goes in that spot, same with dirt etc, and it would just go through each text file for each level.

Maybe I'm wrong though..But things like stairs I don't know...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:50:05 am by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 01:04:51 am »

Wouldn't ramps be a bigger problem than stairs? Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time, so...
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 01:07:16 am »

Wouldn't ramps be a bigger problem than stairs? Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time, so...
True..but I don't see that having any part in minecraft with which way one may go. Maybe dwarfs are in a 4D world and can do things which we cant comprehend?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:28:39 am by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 02:09:45 am »

The interesting thing about ramps is that they are directional.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See all those rooftops? Ramps.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 02:11:24 am »

The interesting thing about ramps is that they are directional.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See all those rooftops? Ramps.
All i saw was a really awesome city, even a cathedral i think?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:20:33 am by Dabi »

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 12:05:13 pm »

I think there is something inherently wrong with paying for a alpha game.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7