Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Minecraft+Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 76339 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft+Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 03:24:37 am »

He lives in Sweden, the government of which provides many services like Health Care and other things I didn't read up on to all of its citizens in exchange for that tax rate. Although I think mayhaps 10-20% of that might be Paypal.

Also, he only quit his job when he found he could work full time on Minecraft with the donations.

But the point that I hope to get across is that this is basically a donation with some extra perks involved for the donator.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 03:46:05 am »

He lives in Sweden, the government of which provides many services like Health Care and other things I didn't read up on to all of its citizens in exchange for that tax rate. Although I think mayhaps 10-20% of that might be Paypal.

Also, he only quit his job when he found he could work full time on Minecraft with the donations.

But the point that I hope to get across is that this is basically a donation with some extra perks involved for the donator.
I thought the game will cost once it's out...?
I mean if I actually enjoyed his game - where as I don't due to the kids then I'd "donate" but that wont happen. The game seems to simple and maybe when the actual thing is out I'll give it another shot.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 04:36:08 am »

Actually, as of right now, it's a tiny bit under 50% tax in sweden. However, I'm not sure about swedish corporation laws, so he may be claiming the lower corporation tax.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Anamabir

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 05:42:35 am »

For all the people saying that Minecraft is way too under-featured/simple to pay for: you do know that, by paying, you get access to a fuckload of new features, right? You can craft weapons and armour, there are zombie/skeleton/spider/creeper attacks every night, zombies and skeletons combust if exposed to the sun, creepers explode when they touch you, you can farm wheat, make bread, smelt ore, plant trees, make torches and put them in dark corners so monsters don't spawn there, make TNT and blow shit up... There are a lot of features. Not as many as in DF, obviously, but it's certainly enough to pay 15 dollars for, especially as he's planning to double that price as Minecraft gets more advanced.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:44:37 am by Anamabir »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 06:54:17 am »

hmmm. think I'll pass. The only part of that game that looks interesting enough to buy is the engine. I could really use that for a pet project of mine.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 08:50:00 am »

Minecraft's pay system almost a pre-order, with one step back and one step forward. Technically speaking there's a risk it will never be finished, but you get access to the full game at a discount if you buy early. In addition, you get access to the /infdev version, which has all the latest goodies, as mentioned by Anambir.
It is currently $10, full price is expected to be $20. It'll soon go up to $15, apparently.
It's not buying an alpha. Or not-not buying an alpha. It's paying to access something + preorder.

You should check out the youtube videos of the infdev stuff. It already has the best crafting system ever, (although not much depth at present) and is very very DF-ish in a lot of ways.

Basically, I want Toady to finish merging the adventure mode mechanics with fortress mode, then team up with Notch so I can play a DF fortress MMO as a single dwarf using a version of the minecraft UI.

Getting back OT, Notch has apparently got a DOOM importer mostly working, by which I presume translating tiles is not a huge issue. A DF importer is probably halfway done already by the visualizers and such. Notch wants Toady's approval, but probably doesn't need any assistance.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:09 am »

Does anyone here play Love, as well? I'm wondering how does it compare to Minecraft, or any other game.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 09:24:55 am »

I bought it. I've read all the development goals and so on, and I trust that most of them will happen eventually. The stuff you get for paying is quite interesting.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 10:20:23 am »

You do get lots of nice features for paying, in which case the question becomes: Are those features and any other benefits you get from paying at least as enjoyable as the other things you spend ten dollars to enjoy?

If I had more free time that answer would probably be yes for me. :P

As it is I haven't because I don't. But there's nothing wrong with paying for it - its not like 10 dollars is a heapload of money. The game may not be finished, but its still enjoyable - and thus still conceivably worth 10 dollars.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 10:54:39 am »

It'll have been completely worth it when he implements traps and levers and things.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 11:32:56 am »

Technically speaking: Cortex Command, Overgrowth, Minecraft, and Natural Selection 2 have the same preorder business model going on.  The only real difference between them is that in Cortex Command's case the money it takes to buy the game goes up the closer it gets to release and in NS2's case if you spend near the full price of the game as opposed to minimum pre-order you get in to the Alpha builds, tools, and whatnot.  NS2, Overgrowth, Cortex Command, and Minecraft all offer the current alpha of the game in exchange for a pre-order and in all cases the pre-order you make counts as the full price of the game when it's released.

So, if you don't see the point in buying Minecraft, you wouldn't see the point in buying Cortex Command, Natural Selection 2, or Overgrowth at this point in time.  To those who said that there was no point in buying an Alpha, would you buy any of the other titles?  I'm just curious.

As a miscellaneous note: "Alpha" doesn't mean 'void of features'.  Alpha just means (in almost all cases) "before feature lock"; which can be interpreted as 'not all the features in the game have been integrated/completed'.  For example, Star Ruler is roughly 65-70% complete at the moment (diplomacy, trade, combat, easily adjustable and procedurally generated galaxies, interstellar phenomenae, fleet management, planet management, research management, completely customizable ship creation/importation/exportation, mod and map selection, easy mod/level/scenario creation, star differentiation, a particle system editor, a model viewer, localization support, a pinned object system, a multi-mode object information window, ship orders automation, more than 50 subsystems for ships, a few tracks for our soundtrack, almost all of our sound effects, a full newtonian movement system, a robust contextual command interface, most of the tutorial, multiplayer support, and lots of other little bits and bobs) and we're still considered to be "in alpha".  The game isn't buggy, it doesn't crash except under extraordinary circumstances, and save/load/import/export works flawlessly.  But we haven't put in -everything- just yet so we can't really call ourselves a Beta.  Beta is when you've got all your stuff complete and you're polishing for Release/Gold Master.

Just saying that when people think 'Alpha' they probably think of the game being little more than a prototype or a tech demo; it's really more of a case-by-case basis in reality. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:40:27 am by Firgof Umbra »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 11:36:37 am »

Cortex Command
The difference being that nobody has any clue what's happening in CC development because Dan has all but vanished.

On the other hand, I get daily Twitter or Tumblr updates from Notch.

And as far as that tax issue goes; he's still under the "corporation" he founded with Rolf to make Wurm, Mojang.
Rolf has left Mojang and founded OneTooFree AB himself, but that doesn't change anything.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:38:24 am by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 12:12:50 pm »

Wait, is there something im not getting? I am able to play Minecraft SP and MP and Survival for free perfectly fine, what do you get when you pay??
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Anamabir

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 12:40:08 pm »

Wait, is there something im not getting? I am able to play Minecraft SP and MP and Survival for free perfectly fine, what do you get when you pay??
Quote from: Anamabir
You can craft weapons and armour, there are zombie/skeleton/spider/creeper attacks every night, zombies and skeletons combust if exposed to the sun, creepers explode when they touch you, you can farm wheat, make bread, smelt ore, plant trees, make torches and put them in dark corners so monsters don't spawn there, make TNT and blow shit up...
And more, obviously.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 01:11:30 pm »

You get creative mode and boring regular survival for free.
Right now, when you pay, you get access to in-development versions, which in this case is the somewhat-fully-featured Survival, and the infinite map test.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7