Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

[Bloat] Military Uniforms and Squads

(1/2) > >>

Heavy Flak:
Before I say anything else, let me get this out of the way:
Yes, I know this is an existing item (multiple items, actually) on the dev list.  This isn't to suggest a generic to be added, this is to hopefully flesh out the generic already listed.With the Army Arc in full swing, I think it's high time for military uniforms, and squad histories.  They can be worked like this:1) Generic armor can still be made from the forge, but there should also be "make squad armor".  This will bring up a selection of the squads in use in your fortress.  For simplicity sake, this would be regulated to legendaries only so you don't have a bunch of rookies running around in their own armor happily dying.  After the squad selection is made, the armor rounds up the metal and any fuel needed, along with: a dye bag and a [generic fortress item].  The reason for this is because of..2)  Squad histories.  We already have randomly generated squad names.  Those are good, but these squads should have randomly generated information as well.  If creatures have profiles, and cities their histories, and deities their circles, why shouldn't squads be allowed to join in the fun?  Imagine a squad names "The Hole of Roses".  Squad history could say something like:"The Hole of Roses is led by Fikod Hammertempests, legendary Hammerer of [fortress name].  It was created in year 1056, and has had 15 members, 9 of which are dead.  They are the sworn enemy of [insert goblin squad names] and have destroyed [x] of their numbers.  Their color is purple, their sigil a rose bush." The color would be what is added to the metal armor, the sigil (and other things) engraved and encrusted into the armor.  The mention of the goblin squad names leads to..3) Since the big civilizations will have armies, it stands to reason Goblins (and other baddies) will too.  They're already broken into squads, they should have the same histories and designs.  This would allow players, after a battle, to be able to loot the dead and see some of the invaders histories on the armor.  It could also allow surviving members of the squad to become sworn enemies of the Dwarves that routed them a previous time.

SirPenguin:
I like the idea. Also gives us a better use for dye, and by extension, Dimple Cups

PTTG??:
This is a nicely crafted idea. I mark my well-worn stamp of approval on this suggestion.

Neonivek:
The only problem I have with this suggestion comes from the fact that I am just simply inexperienced and never have the metals required to possibly properly armor a squad.On the other hand I love the idea that it can track what you need... So I am not discovering that "Ohh my I don't have enough low metal boots"Other then that comment I like your suggestion. Especially with the Squads appearing in Legends and team emblems.[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

mickel:
I'm somewhat experienced, having started playing back in the 2d era, but I still never start much of a metal production. My fortresses tend to be at the top of the food chain so to speak. Why mine for metal when it can be bought? If I happen to have a legendary armor-smith around, I'll make armor, but otherwise, why bother? It can be bought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version