Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Let's Play Bubble Gum Crisis, a Module for TOME  (Read 16670 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Let's Play Bubble Gum Crisis, a Module for TOME
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:50:01 pm »

As requested in the LCS forum, where the maker of BGC module for TOME is now working on Crime Squad, I'm making a brief tutorial for Bubble Gum Crisis.  However, my first game broke (the game is in .5 alpha state), so I had to restart, so it is two tutorials.  Let's Play!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pick the Bubble Gum Crisis Module.
I chose Linna to start this time.  The active character is the white "@" sign that tends to be centered on the screen.  Arrow keys and numpad move the character.  To enter the buildings, walk on the ">" signs and press the shift and ".", which should be the ">" sign (if it is not, just press whatever is the ">" sign on your computer.  If the symbol is "<", press that instead, but I do not know if that happens in this game.
This is your cellphone.  You use it by pressing "u".  THE CELLPHONE IS YOUR FRIEND!  LOVE THY CELLPHONE AS THY LOVE LIFE!
Speaking of cellphones, press z to access the cellphone options, and select the option that says "enable incoming calls".  Now people can call us, yay!

Anyways, the most important thing in the early game is to get some steel plates for your battlesuits, as the initial battlesuits need armor in order for the girls to survive combat with boomers.  But we do not know who to call in order to buy some steel plates.  Let's earn a little extra money first!
There's a building to the south right in the area we start in.  Maybe they have work?
Hey, they do!  How did I know that?  Oh, there is a really nice documentation you can access by pressing "?".  Among other things, we learn that basically there are only two ways of actively acquring paying jobs.  Tokyo Express is one, the other is the mercenary forums you can access from the computers at the Silk n Dolls, which is our headquarters.  The passive way to acquire paying jobs to just wait until your phone rings, thus we enabled incoming calls.
Oh no!  They acutally expect us to deliver ACs to an opposing mercenary company!  How dare they!  Nah, just kidding.  There are no Armored Cores in this game.  Raven's garage is just an automobile garage where Syivia's brother works, which is good as he might be able to recover destroyed boomers for us.  Raven's Garage is just south of us.
Wow, that bonus restores my faith in Delivery Missions.  We also got a bit of experience.  When the girls level up, you can press "g" to learn new skills, but you select the skills and press spacebar to save.  That part messed me up a few times.
Now that we have earned some money, my next update will cover how to spend that money.

Protip: Press Ctrl and x to save and exit.  Otherwise a bug may cause you to restart, like me after the next update.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Bubble Gum Crisis, a Module for TOME
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:53:54 pm »

Now, you're earning all that money from deliveries, but why?  To buy stuff, that's why!
We're going to visit Heavy Industries, because they're just one screen over.  The other supplier is Genom, despite the fact we hate them and want to destroy them.  But Genom is in the other part of town, so we will not buy from them today.
See the two roads to the left going away from where Tokyo Deliveries is located?  Take the upper one, go through the junction, and you'll find Heavy Industries.
Enter the building
Go up and around the box in the middle of the screen.  Then enter the box area, and you should be addressed by the receptionist.
Notice she does not offer to sell us anything.  We're not in some primitive town where the guy who makes your stuff also sell it.  Oh no.  Here, we buy from gigantic coporations that never see customers, just invoices.  So we need Heavy Industries phone number, so we can place an order.  Next, we place a call, which we can do anywhere and at any time.  Just press "u' again, and you'll see Heavy Industries was added if you asked for their number.
Call HI and order lots of stuff.  But DO NOT ORDER STEEL STRUCTURE!!!!!!!!!
It is useless as you already have all the steel structere you will ever need.  I'd suggest buying armor plates.  You'll need lots of those.  Eventually, you'll chose whos account to bill:
Hm, seems the Silk n Dolls has some money stashed away.  Let's see what happens when we place an order that does not use up all our money:
If you're cheap like me, you can wait the full time.  Or, pay a little extra for some extra service.  Your call.
Speaking of calls, after we leave Heavy Industries, I decide to head back to Slik n Dolls.  Let's see what we can do with the cellphone...
But I am too lazy to watch as this character walks back, so I call Sylia, and determine that she is already there.  Then, I make Sylia the active character.  Next, I have Sylia call Linna:
Then, I tell Linna to come back to the Silk n Dolls.  If I leave the Silk n Dolls and return, Linna will be there.

Shortly after this point, my game glitched and I lost everything except these images.  So next update will feature a different start.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:28:55 pm »

Let me say I that enjoy this LP. I didn't know you could make something as complex as this in TOME.

Anyway, um, what's the point of the game? Is there a story? Is this even based off a franchise? Or are you guys just mercs wanting to make millions?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »

Boomers (robots that have taken human form) have been going beserk, killing people.  The Knight Sabers want to find the source of the boomer threat.

Also, the "Leader" of the Knight Sabers believes her dad was killed by Genom (one of the largest manufactures in the world of Bubblegum Crisis).  She wants revenge on Genom.

And generally, the girls really are mercs waiting to make millions.

It is based off the anime Bubble Gum Crisis, although I speculate this module starts the team off before the anime.  I believe the anime has the girls start off fighting a class c boomer, whereas this game has the girls starting off with the most basic class, the class a boomer.

Here is where we started discussing Bubblegum Crisis in the Curses Forum.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:38:08 pm »

Interesting. subscribble
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:43:27 pm »

Really nifty tutorial, EuchreJack. I executed a few "Ohhh..." phrases while following along, since it hadn't crossed my mind to do some of what you did (enable incoming calls? Epiphany, dude). If you objective was helping others understand more about BGC, you've succeeded rather well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:45:56 pm »

Thanks, that is really the goal.
Ok, I bet you are all loving the courier missions.  But how about making some real cash?  I already sent Priss on a "real" mission, and just called her back to the Silk n Dolls.  While she was returning, I sent Nene out to do a courier mission.  She just returned successfully, and is greeting Priss:
Yes, this is another way of changing characters.  Off-camera, she takes off her hardsuit by walking into the "O" above.  Those 4 letters on the Northern Wall of the Silk N Dolls are the hardsuits, which is what makes this mercenary company a "heavy weapons" outfit.  "H" means the hardsuit is waiting for the girl to wear.  "O" means the girl is already wearing their hardsuit, and allows the girl to take off the hardsuit.  It is important for the girls to take off the hardsuits for certain missions, especially courier missions.  Like anyone else, the characters of this game usually panic if you approach them with a hardsuit on.

Now, I promised "Real Money, Real Missions" right?  Now we deliver!  We have Priss walk into one of the "C"s on the right wall of the silk n dolls.  Those are computers.  I chose the bottom one simply so the dialog would not hide Priss and the computer, but all three computers in the silk n dolls do the same thing.
We'll chose the option that accesses the mercenary forum.  After all, we're mercenaries, not delivery girls!
Ah, a job for a "competent mercenary".  We're competent mercenaries, right? Of course we are!  So we accept, and call the client.  Remember THE PHONE IS YOUR FRIEND!
That new contact is the person from the forum.  Let's see what they want.
Yup, that's what mercenaries do.  They kill people.  You ARE a real mercenary right?  If not, go back to your courier tasks.  But, we are real mercenaries, so we accept.

At this point, I forgot where we were suppose to find the target.  So, by pressing "Ctrl" and "q", we access the following quest registry:
If your memory is as bad as mine, you'll be using ctrl-q a lot.  Anyways, Apartment 12 is just north of the area with silk n dolls.  After entering the building, we immediately realize this apartment complex is five stories tall.  Do you want to search EVERY SINGLE ROOM in a five-story apartment complex?  Of course not!  So we go north to the "C", which is the resident registry.  If we brought Nene (or anyone else if they learned "Hacking"), we could also use this computer to hack the steel door to the right of us, that is blocking the way.
Flipping through the floors, we discover the following:
The target is on the thrid floor!  By the way, you need to check all floors in the registry.  Just like in real life, sometimes different people have the same last name, and since we are only given the last name, you might have to check more than one floor.  But in this case, there is only one person with our target's last name.  Lets kill!

Wait a minute, why isn't that door to the right of us opening?  Seems security is a bit tighter than we thought.  We can not hack the door, as Priss does not know how to do that.  So why did I chose Priss?  Oh, her hardsuit has a particle gun equipped.  We could give this particle gun to anyone, but since it started on Priss's hardsuit, I thought I would let her get the kill.  First, we aim at the door by pressing "f", then moving the cursor to the door:
Press 'f' again to fire.  Actually, any key will trigger an aimed weapon to fire, so be carful!
Boom!  Down goes the door!  Travel right until you get to another room like below:
Again, move into the "C", and you get a list of floors.  We want the third floor.  We leave the elevator to the left, and start searching the rooms.
"Found You!  Die M@therf*cka!"
We complete the mission by pressing "f" and aiming at the red "p".  Press "f" or anything else to FIRE!
We killed him, and are not sticking around!  Run way!  We flee back to the elevator, go to the ground/first floor, then leave the elevator to the left.  But then, we hear something:
OH NO, the POLICE!  FLEE!  But, they are waiting for us as we leave the apartment building:
They ask us to surrender.  Should we submit to the police and give up our noble mission to defeat the boomer threat, a mission the police are nearly powerless to solve?  Reread the bio of Priss above if you have any hesitation as to what she would do.  We tell them where to stick their surrender, and flee.
After fleeing from the police and taking no damage from their bullets, we call our client again.  The client pays us 10000 credits for the mission, and since Priss has already done one of these, she levels up!  Press "shift' and "g" to access the skill menu:
I increased Priss's marksmanship (ability to engage in ranged combat) to two, and gave her one skillpoint in dodge, so hopefully she will take less hits in combat.  Now, let's see how Priss relates to the world:
You'll notice that anything the girls do in hardsuits is attributed to the Knight Sabers and not the girls, as nobody can tell that it was Priss that killed two people (one while I was playing before this update) but simply attribute this to the Knight Sabers.  The police are noticably upset.  Citizens also are upset at the killings.  But Priss, the famous rockstar of Tokyo, is loved by the citizens!

Now, to finsh this update, I will explain the map.  See, Tokyo is really only made up of two regions.  Each region contains several areas with the various buildings in the game, and you do not need to travel on the highway to travel between the various areas of a single region.  Once you know how to travel between regions on the highway, everything else falls into place.

We start by travelling north from Apartment 12, and traveling right.

Next, we continue until we get to a fork, where we turn right.

Continue until getting to another fork, where we go left.

You are now in the other region of the game.  Simply reverse it to get home.

You now know how to do everything except design hardsuits, kill boomers, and recover salvage.  But it will take 14 game hours to get armor for your hardsuits, and LordBucket is trying to fix the salvage bug.  Without armor and fixed salvage, boomer combat is not as much fun.

Rack up the murders!  :-* 

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »

tutorials.  Let's Play!

This is really cool. Thank you for doing this. I've mentioned it in the otehr thread, but I'll say it here too...I appreciate the enthusiasm for BGC so much that I'm picking up this module again for development. I found the development copy on an old hard drive in a box, and have put about 6 hours into it since yesterday. As long as you guys keep posting, providing feedback and interest...I'll keep working on it. :)

Next release should be in the next day or two.

THE CELLPHONE IS YOUR FRIEND!  LOVE THY CELLPHONE AS THY LOVE LIFE!

...yes. It really is a huge part of the game.

Tokyo Express
Delivery Missions

Tokyo Express was originally intended to be part of the "learn to get around" tutorials, but that hasn't quite taken shape yet. For a real game, I recommend taking courier missions. They award experience as well as money. The basic asssassination missions are also viable, as they usually only require you to fight human security guards rather than boomers, which is easy to do in a hardsuit. Running around killing people does tend to drop your reputation with civilians and the AD Police, which is bad...but in the current version there's not really a whole lot of else to do yet other than just run missions and explore, so you may as well.

most important thing in the early game is to get some steel plates for your battlesuits

Viable, but not the only tactic. Personally I tend to do titanium for the reduced weight. Though installing titanium plates does require you to level first to raise your hardsuit design skill.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:21:10 pm »

Is an alternate strategy viable: become hated by everyone as Regular Priss and become loved by everyone as Hardsuit Priss?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13:14 pm »

Actually, when the girls are in hardsuits, nobody knows who they really are, they're just "Knight Sabers".  Thus there is no distinction between the girls when they're suited.

Way I play, the cops want to kill all the Knight Sabers, lol.  At least the criminals love my team.

But yeah, you can totally avoid the assasination missions if you'd like.  As LordBucket explained, there are also courier missions, which you can access from the mercenary forum also.  They pay a bit better than Tokyo Express, but require a bit more, such as speaking to people instead of just bumping into the building and making the pickup/delivery.

I agree that steel plates are not the only way, and perhaps should have just said "buy plates", but thought it might stick better if I chose one type.  I chose them for the cost and the fact you can not mix plates on a single body part.  Personally, I plan to outfit titanium on the head and arms, plasteel on the shoulders, and steel everywhere else on one of the hardsuits.
But the basic thing is: The player needs to buy plates, any plates, ASAP!

By the way, if anyone fights an assasination mission and the bodyguard is level 30, be warned that is a security boomer that will attack you upon killing the target (or anyone really).  Run away!

Also, do not send Sylia out to do assasination missions unless you either give her lots of armor or a ranged weapon (the bolt gun or small laser you start with).  I just restarted because Sylia died fleeing from a boomer after killing the target at close range (running into the target initiates melee combat).  Some boomers can outrun the girl's hardsuits unmodified, so it just kept beating her until it breached both the exo and endo structure, killing her.

About the character screen: You access it with "shift" and "c" but if the girl is in a hardsuit then you may first need to press "shift" and "t" to turn off tactical view.  If you see the hardsuit structure to the left, you are in tactical view.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:04 pm »

Hello, my name is Steve. Steve Oomori. My father, also called Steve, used to work for Alice Kitao. Until she had him killed by the Knights Sabers. But he left me the designs for the hi-tech research he was doing, and I'm the only member of this team that understands this technology. Right now, that makes me the leader of this ragtag band of mercenaries, but my true ambition is to kill Alice, destroy the Knights Sabers, and avenge my father!

Coincidentally, I'm a big fan of Priss and the Replicants.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:17:23 pm by Servant Corps »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »

Looking forward to the next release >.>

As long as Mackie gets fixed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 01:34:17 pm »

Hello, my name is Steve. Steve Oomori. My father, also called Steve, used to work for Alice Kitao. Until she had him killed by the Knights Sabers. But he left me the designs for the hi-tech research he was doing, and I'm the only member of this team that understands this technology. Right now, that makes me the leader of this ragtag band of mercenaries, but my true ambition is to kill Alice, destroy the Knights Sabers, and avenge my father!

Coincidentally, I'm a big fan of Priss and the Replicants.

That is hilarious!  I never thought about that!

By the way Steve, are you hiring?  ;D

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 02:38:38 pm »

If BGG is open-source, I would likley begin modding the game to have you play as Steve Oomori instead of the Knights Sabers, and have Genom be replaced by Knights Sabres.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 12:53:39 am »

I'm having some difficulty with the ToME modules site, so for those of you who feel comfortable doing a manual install, I give you Bubblegum Crisis V057

To install, create a bgc directory at game/modules/bgc, and unzip the content of bgc057.zip into that directory. I'm not sure how well a manual installation of 057 will coexist with an automatic download of 055, so you might do a clean install of T3 if you have any difficulty.

Keep up the feedback, bug reports and interest, and I'll keep releasing updates. :)

== Summary of changes from 055 to 057 ==

New features
 * m now displays the mission log
 * s now displays current available salvage
 * Added a salvage indicator to the display

Bugfixes
 * A variety of issues regarding salvage have been fixed
 * Subway entrances/exits should now place you in the correct location
 * People in apartment quests should correctly reject or allow you entry depending on
   the mission. If you're delivering something, they'll let you in. If you're there to
   kill them, they won't.
 * Dead characters should now no longer appear in the game
 * ADP jail no longer crashes
 * Jailed team members can no longer regroup at Silk'n Doll to escape jail
 * Fixed party placement upon entering Kyuusei
 * Requesting > 9 mercenary missions no longer generates an error message
 * Fixed LUA error when using ranged attacks on cameras
 * Fixed LUA error when targetting over rubble

Changes
 * Heavy Industries has been correctly named as Kyuusei Industries
 * Several more stairways have been converted to be usable simply by walking into them instead of needing to press >. Many remain to be done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6