Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Let's Play Bubble Gum Crisis, a Module for TOME  (Read 16722 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Bubble Gum Crisis, a Module for TOME
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 09:39:38 pm »

I can't believe how ugly your mom looks.
Yeaaaaaaaahhh

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »

I have been spending a little time on this lately, and I must say that it is very good.

I have had troubles with too many boomer attacks and Mackie not being ready after a successful salvage mission.

Is there anywhere to buy weapons?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2010, 11:47:01 am »

I have had troubles with too many boomer attacks

You don't have to go. The AD Police will take care of them if you don't. Or if it's the constant incoming calls that are bothering you, disable incoming calls on your cellphone and/or have Nene be anywhere other than ADP HQ.

Mackie not being ready after a successful salvage mission.

The timer appears to be bugged. A workaround is described in this post.

No. Military grade weapons are illegal. You will have to find alternatives. However, Genom does sell synthetic muscle that will improve your melee attack damage. Also, since team combat does not work very well, you can strip weapons from the hardsuits that you're not using and put them on the hardsuit you are.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 11:55:38 am »

Where exactly is the savefile stored?

It will be in your operating system's user directory. Where that will be depends on your operating system. For example, on Vista, try c:\users\"user name"\.tome\3.0\Crisis\0.5\save. Everything in the directory of your savefile name must be included.

do modules get damaged?

I'm pretty sure it's implemented, but I think only from overheating. I don't think modules can be damaged in combat yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 03:27:39 pm »

I have had troubles with too many boomer attacks

You don't have to go. The AD Police will take care of them if you don't. Or if it's the constant incoming calls that are bothering you, disable incoming calls on your cellphone and/or have Nene be anywhere other than ADP HQ.

Personally, I strongly recommend only stationing Nene at ADP HQ when you want a boomer mission.  Sending the calls to voicemall nets you hundreds of calls currently, that will crash your game should you try to access them, and there is no mass delete command.

No. Military grade weapons are illegal. You will have to find alternatives. However, Genom does sell synthetic muscle that will improve your melee attack damage. Also, since team combat does not work very well, you can strip weapons from the hardsuits that you're not using and put them on the hardsuit you are.

Why buy from Genom when those boomers have the same gear?*   :P
Strip weapons from the boomers if you can.  The extremedies at least have synthetic muscle.

*Ok, I know why it might be advisable to buy from Genom.  And not all Genom tech can be found on boomers (mainly because boomers seem limited to class "a").  But you get my point.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2010, 06:40:29 pm »

My problem is that I actually want boomer missions but the old one seems to be replaced by the new one every tick, so I need to wait on the door until my current location is the site of an attack. Also I keep getting error messages, I think it happens when it wants to put police on top of other police, but they are not really frequent enough for that. It seems that the frequency of boomers attacks steadily increases until they are constant. Is there a way to reset the Boomer Attack Timer?

I forgot about Mackie's workaround, thankyou for the link. It seems to say that it will only take 1 hour for much longer than 4 hours, so there may be something up with the message

I have yet to be attacked by any energy weapons, or ranged weapons, I filled up on plastic armour and haven't lost a one...
But I don't need to use it if I don't want to.
It also make a certain amount of sense that the basic boomers would be using physical melee attacks and the knight sabers can be pretty much immune to them.

*worships Lord Bucket*

The voicemail doesn't get cleared if you start a new game. Also, a 'clear all voicemail' option might be nice, if you have 500 messages you are unlikely to read them all...

Is it meant to be almost impossible to hit the endotorso while there are still other components? I find that most of the components get destroyed until about 7  or so marksmanship, and even at 11 you can expect to knock off one or two other components.

You can get a particle cannon and blast your way through the walls of the subway, the subway is still faster, but if you manage to spend the last of your cash it is usually much faster than walking, and I think that the holes may be persistent. Also it may pay off if you are trying to maximise cash from missions, but it is generally better to rush the missions to get more xp...

Is there an easy way to completely remove my tome installation in case I managed to corrupt my bgc install by installing it manually after getting it from the autoinstaller? And where does the autoinstaller keep its files anyway?

I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »

Is there a way to reset the Boomer Attack Timer?

old one seems to be replaced by the new one every tick

...hmm. In looking up the code to answer this question I think I've discovered why it isn't working correctly. "Resetting" the timer might not be possible...but to fix your immediate problem, try entering the following LUA commands via wizard mode:

Code: [Select]
bgc_data.last_boomer_incident = turn
bgc_data.boomer_incident_loc = -1
bgc_data.boomer_incident_state = 0
bgc_data.next_boomer_incident = 4800

In theory, that should make the next boomer incident happen in approximately one hour. To make the delay longer, multipy that 4800 by the number of hours you want until the next incident.

I have yet to be attacked by any energy weapons, or ranged weapons

Class B ranged combat boomers do exist in the game, but they're phenomenally rare. The only place that regularly spawns them is wizard mode arena #2.

*worships Lord Bucket*

Thank you. I accept your worship. :)

a 'clear all voicemail' option might be nice

Good idea. I'll add that.

Is it meant to be almost impossible to hit the endotorso while there are still other components?

It is meant to be completely impossible to hit the endotorso while the exotorso is still intact. Reason being...it's inside.

This works for your hardsuit too, by the way, so in interior torso is an ideal place to put especially implrtant things, like generators, computers, and the occassional module that might violently destroy everything within 100 feet if it should happen to explode.

I find that most of the components get destroyed until about 7  or so marksmanship, and even at 11 you can expect to knock off one or two other components.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Are you using location targetting? If you want to selectively target the torso, press t until your tactical display reads "Targetting: torso"

That should make you selectively fire on the torso, desstroying exotorso first then endotorso until the boomer is destroyed.

You can get a particle cannon and blast your way through the walls of the subway
I think that the holes may be persistent.

Ahh. Hmm. Interesting exploit. I may have to fill in the emptiness with concrete. Yes, holes are intended to be persistent, at least until Tokyo Construction gets around to fixing them. Leaving and returning to a map shouldn't cause walls to magically heal themselves.

Is there an easy way to completely remove my tome installation

Delete the .tome directory in your OS-specific user directory. Then delete the tome install directory. There are some reports that doing this leaves some inconvenient breadcrumbs of the previous install somewhere. If you have difficulty after doing a full removal and reinstall, try installing this patch and see if that helps.

where does the autoinstaller keep its files anyway?

I think also in your OS's user directory. I don't usually do automatic installs.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »

Thankyou very much

I find that most of the components get destroyed until about 7  or so marksmanship, and even at 11 you can expect to knock off one or two other components.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Are you using location targetting? If you want to selectively target the torso, press t until your tactical display reads "Targetting: torso"

That should make you selectively fire on the torso, desstroying exotorso first then endotorso until the boomer is destroyed.

I am doing that, but I find that the exotorso takes a majority of hits when targetted, but that after the exotorso is destroyed I will usually completely destroy 3 or 4 sections in the process of trying to hit the endotorso. It seems that even the armour rarely goes down until most of the rest of the body is gone. It may be that I have messed up my accuracy by installing too many weapons or running them too hot, and the boomers may be using stances to distribute the damage.
 It isn't a problem, I was just wondering if it was intended....
Read the First Post!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 07:50:10 pm »

Watched all 8 OVAs while doing DF modding/testing.   Didn't realize they were hour long till the 3rd OVA...
I believe I must acquire the whole thing now.  Including the many many songs.

Watched the AD Police Files too.  "I let go a little of my humanity.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:53:56 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »

do the hardsuits look like Power Ranger suits or Gundam suits?

They actually much more closely resemble the hardsuits from Bubblegum Crisis. :P

Or if you'd prefer video, this clip shows all four suits in action. There's also some fairly impressive cosplay if you're into that kind of thing.
MEGAMANWOMEN!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2010, 11:42:12 pm »

Have you tried the tome module?
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2012, 10:08:13 pm »

Well, T.O.M.E. three is now a dead language and T.O.M.E. four seem to be established. So the question of whether this should proceed on one of those platforms should be relatively clear...

P.S.
For anyone else stumbling around pressing keys at random, I believe that control+w puts you in wizard mode and control+a then lets you input debug commands...
Read the First Post!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2012, 11:04:07 pm »

Does this game still live?  Where have you downloaded it?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 02:01:42 am »

Hello, everyone. Author of BGC checking in since the thread was revived.

A few general comments:

* T3 is well and truly dead after having been horribly abandoned by DarkGod, despite years of various people trying to revive it. The last stable version was alpha 15, and the final version was alpha 18 or 19 or so, with each release after 15 becoming increasingly buggy and unreliable. There is a T4, or so I hear, but I am not involved with it, and I have no intentions of becoming involved.

* Bubblegum Crisis is...sadly, lost, as are Dragonball T and Zombie Horror. The most current versions were hosted on a site that was taken down, and the archive that I kept personally was on a hard drive that was either wiped or destroyed or something or another. I no longer have a copy of the most current version, though it's possible I might have an older version somewhere, maybe.

* It's possible that somebody out there does have a copy still. If you want to play it, I'd suggest asking around here and/or the T4 forums to see if anyone still has it. However, DarkGod no longer even hosts the engine anymore...so you'd have to track down a copy of both the engine and the module.

* If you do manage to track down a copy of either Bubblegum Crisis or Dragonball T, please let me know. The final version ob BGC was V0.57. (I think) and the final version of DBT was something around V.93 or so. As T3 modules go, BGC was extremely stable (though didn't have a lot of content) and generally more resistant to engine bugs because by the time I started working on it the engine was in such bad shape that I coded around it and implemented my own systems rather than using native code whenever possible. By comparison, Dragonball T was a mammoth game that players were putting hundreds of hours into, but sadly it used a fair number of native engine systems and somewhere around version .88 or so the engine stopping being well maintained and started developing nasty bugs which rendered it increasingly less playable with each new alpha. By the time the engine was formally abandoned, I'd invested about  a year of working on it daily to get it from V.88 to V.93, always expecting that the engine bugs would be fixed...but it eventually ended up completely unplayable because it depended on engine systems that no longer worked.

* No, I will not be developing for T4. I was very badly burned by the T3 fiasco.  I have no reason whatsoever to invest further time in it. If I wanted to make more games, I'd probably develop for flash. It seems silly to spend the next 6 months learning a roguelike engine to make games that only a couple hundred people will ever play when I could be making games for flash sites that gave tens of thousands of people online at any given moment. Especially when the author of that engine has a reputation for abandoning projects and leaving developers hanging after they've invested years of time into developing modules.

If there are any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I spent a couple years working on various t-engine modules, and was terribly annoyed that it was abandoned. Even so, I do have fond memories of those times, and both Dragonball T and Bubblegum Crisis could have been amongst the most awesome roguelikes ever made, and it's very sad that they were never finished.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2012, 04:12:10 am »

Good news and bad news:
Good news: I've found some Tome 3 files!
Bad news: I can't figure out how to get Tome 3 to work, so I don't know which files I should be uploading.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6