Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Let's Play Bubble Gum Crisis, a Module for TOME  (Read 16577 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Bubble Gum Crisis, a Module for TOME
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2012, 04:41:27 am »

I can play it right now, so I have some of the files in a working copy, but as for source code, or even an installation version, that is less reliable, I will look...

Some of these may be useful, maybe......

P.S.
dbt.team

P.P.S.
 As for getting a fresh install to work, I would not know, but the .team files are zipped archives and seem to end up in [windows user directory]\.tome\3.0\modules directory. But given that I still don't know how to tell windows seven to let me access my entire hard drive I wouldn't really know how much about meddling with that sort of thing...

P.P.P.S.
 Sadly the module server is gone, so you will probably crash if you try to use the automatic module installer...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:46:10 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 07:14:00 pm »

Some slight help perhaps?  At least on the engine side.

http://www.furytech.net/mirror.php?go=list&path=%2FVariant/ToME

I don't suppose reckoning it with the Fury Engine there would be a better notion?  Since it apparently had some sort of odd compatibility with T2...

At any rate, hope this helps, and that any other "lost" things can be reclaimed and properly archived for posterity---really a shame how things turned out on that front in that corner of the Roguelike world those years on back now.   :(

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »

I can play it right now, so I have some of the files in a working copy, but as for source code, or even an installation version, that is less reliable

If you have a working copy, all data is there and easily worked with. .team files are .zip files with the extension changed, and the installation process was completely non-lossy. Even if you did a manual installation and decompressed everything it should all still be there.

Some of these may be useful, maybe......

Heh. Zombie Horror. Awesome. :)

Any chance you have a copy of Dragonball T wherever you found those? DBT had years worth of development, and was so big that I kind of doubt anyone ever saw all of it. I occasionally get messages from people asking for it, and last I checked the most recent version I had a copy of was missing probably a good 200 hours of development time.

Bad news: I can't figure out how to get Tome 3 to work

T3 was unfriendly with windows...xp? Vista? It's been years, I'm not sure which, but there was some version of windows it really, really didn't like. Would be no surprise if it didn't run under newer versions of windows either.

I don't suppose reckoning it with the Fury Engine there would be a better notion?
Since it apparently had some sort of odd compatibility with T2...

No, totally different beasts. Would be like trying to run Office 2012 with Dos. Not going to happen.

Some slight help perhaps?

I'm downloading the above links. Will get back to you after I know what we have to work with. Alpha16 is old, but alpha 19 was I think released after I left. Alpha 18 is probably what you want for Bubblegum Crisis, but it's possible it might work with 19. I don't think much was changed.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2012, 09:43:11 pm »

I have an installed dbt with the changelog dated April 7, 2008 if that does any good...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 11:46:09 pm »

There seem to be a mess of tome versions here.

I never really got into DBT, so the file I have above might be an older version.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2012, 12:25:19 am »

I have an installed dbt with the changelog dated April 7, 2008 if that does any good...

What's the version number? It should either be listed in the chngelog, or displayed on the splash screen when you load the module. If it's anything with a .9 or higher, that's more recent than anything I have.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2012, 12:59:49 am »

My problem is that I can't find the file that runs the game.  I've got version .9 of DBT, I'll upload what I've got.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2012, 01:05:11 am »

As for getting a fresh install to work, I would not know, but the .team files are zipped archives and seem to end up in [windows user directory]\.tome\3.0\modules directory. But given that I still don't know how to tell windows seven to let me access my entire hard drive I wouldn't really know how much about meddling with that sort of thing...
Some slight help perhaps?
I can't find the file that runs the game

Ok, so far as I can tell the files RAM supplied do contain the final version of Bubblegum Crisis. I tested it with alpha 18 and it worked on the first try, though the high ascii tiles are beign displayed incorrectly.

So...all you need to do is:

Step 1:
Download the appropriate alpha for your operating system:
http://www.zaimoni.com/zaiband/Angband.ref/ToME/

If you're running windows, you probably want this one:
http://www.zaimoni.com/zaiband/Angband.ref/ToME/tome-300alpha18-win.zip

I haven't tested it with alpha 19, but if you have difficulty, it might be worth trying that instead of alpha 18.

Once youj've downloaded, decompress the zip file somewhere.

Step 2:
Download and install Bubblegum Crisis.

There are two ways to do this.

1) Download the team file:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9056455/63__bgc.team

Then simply put it in the game/modules directory of your T3 installation.

2) Download the zip file:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9056455/bgc057.zip

Then create a directory in the game/modules directory of your T3 installation, and unzip the zip file into it. It shouldn't matter what you call the directory.

Misc notes:

* Like RAM mentions above, .team files are just .zip files with the extension changed. If you have the team file and want to do a full manual install so you can

* T3 was not very friendly with windows. If you have the choice of both linux and windows, it's possible you might get better results with linux, but I can't confirm that.

* If you do run the windows version, there should be two different executables in your T3 install directory: tome3.exe and tome3-sdl.exe. Try them both. One may work better than the other. Personally testing now on my machine running Vista, walls are invisible if I run with the tome.exe version, but all high ascii is reduced to little boxes if I run the tome3-sdl.exe version. See the spoilered screenshots in the first few posts of this thread to see what the game is supposed to look like.

* Once you get started, press ? then a to see the quickie immersion guide. The help files are thorough.

* The game is remarkably complex, and was occasionally compared to Dwarf Fortress in terms of the early game learning curve: You have four different characters that you can swap among at any time. Purchases are made via delayed shipping purchase order rather than "walk into store buy X you now have X in your inventory." Missions are dynamically generated rather than being fixed. The map is three dimensional with line-of-sight visibility but transitions in the z-axis are not handled up going straight up or down. For example, from your starting position near the Silk'n Doll, if you go straight north through junction 4, then immediately turn right and go onto the highway onramp, you'll notice that you pass directly over the junction you just passed through. This would be totally intuitive in real life, but some people were having nightmares about how lost they were getting in the game. Many missions involve timed events and before you learn how to get around it can be difficult to complete missions in time. When in doubt, you can take the subway. Note that the subways are designed after real life Tokyo subways, and even they involve a certain learning curve.

* For all the awesomeness that might have been...it's a .57 alpha release. There's some great stuff...but there's just not very much of it, and the game is woefully incomplete. There's really not much do to. You can wander around, do basic missions, get lost, buy upgrades, modify hardsuits, kill stuff...and that's about it. There's no real story implemented and nothing even remotely approaching a game finish. A lot of locations are just empty rooms and even the hardsuit design interface was never completed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2012, 01:09:23 am »

http://www.mediafire.com/?g4r6a1p6hg3hlcy

The modules are in the above link.  Includes BGC version 5.5, DBT version 9.1, and a couple other modules.

It turns out that TOME 3 and the modules are stored in completely different areas on my computer.  I don't understand it, but it appears I've got working BGC and DBT, and hopefully you will too!

Since I'm playing DBT again, brief question: Is there any way to profit by marrying Oblong, other than house and selling the ring?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2012, 04:14:15 am »

It turns out that TOME 3 and the modules are stored in completely different areas on my computer.  I don't understand it, but it appears I've got working BGC and DBT, and hopefully you will too!

Yeah, not entirely sure how your archive ended up like it did, but I did find the .team files. Kind of looks like this is your user directory rather than the game directory, and you did exclusively automated download module installs, so all the modules happen to be there too rather than where they'd usually have ended up. If so, we got lucky. Anyone doing the installation as per the methods I described above wouldn't have the modules where yours were.

BGC version 5.5, DBT version 9.1, and a couple other modules.

...trying to determine if 0.91 was the final version or not. I remember .93 being the final version but I haven't actually looked at this in years. I'm seeing a lot of late-development material: it contains the musical intro, the Supreme HQ dungeons exist, planet Namek exists, I see afterlife and wishing code, Technomancy code exists (that's huge, it was a massive time sink), the World Tournament appears to be ...(fully?) functional...that's strange. I remember it being broken, but I was able to trigger the World Tournament completion sequence. And looks like Lunch is not prohibited from appearing in the newbie zone in this version. And it looks like this firearms are completely broken. And npc actions can cause alignment changes for the player. Pretty sure I fixed those bugs, and I'm pretty sure the tournament was broken in the final release.

So this appears to definitely be a late version, but I think think was was at least one release after this, and I think maybe two. This release appears to be more or less playable, possibly even more playable than the actual final release was, but the SDL version crashes instantly for me and I'm getting some extreme graphical anomalies with the non-SDL version. It might play better under linux or different versions of windows than I'm running. Also, looks like this version is affected by the ego item engine bug, so it might be difficult to get very far.

In any case, definitely far more current than anything I still had a copy of. Thank you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2012, 04:34:48 am »

Glad to have helped.  Hopefully someone can close the gap and release the final version of DBT.  I was playing it successfully under Windows XP, so that might explain why a more modern windows computer is having trouble.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2012, 09:31:41 am »

Okay, I give up, I have no idea at all how to enter LUA commands...
Read the First Post!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2012, 10:46:16 am »

Mine is 091 of dbt also, it's whatever was downloadable as of April 2010 when I grabbed it.  And yea I run it on XP too.  The last lines in the changelog are
April 7, 2008
 * Fixed a bunch of stuff that was broken
 * Gym and library no longer accept "donations" from members

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »

Okay, I give up, I have no idea at all how to enter LUA commands...

Not sure what you mean, but if you want to use the command console to directly execute LUA instructions, it's ctrl-w to activate wizard mode, then ctrl-a to select a wizard mode command, then > and you'll be prompted for a script location or command to execute.

ToME was notoriously obscure in its command keys.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2012, 09:54:31 pm »

Ah, thankyou! I had gotten as far as control+w then control+a. In hindsight, I should have tried the traditional command prompt characters, but realistically, trying stuff at random was never going to get me there...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]