Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Brutal: Wrath of the Wilds - Beginning in thread hunt...  (Read 9538 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brutal: Wrath of the Wilds - Beginning in thread hunt...
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:06:50 pm »

The setup thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51115.0

You arrive in the demon encampment, surrounded by the din of diversity. Creatures of all shapes and sizes and abilities and temperaments surround you.

There are many reasons for monsters to be here. Whether they come to fight for the safety of their homes, hatred of the peoples, a twisted sense of justice, or a deep seated bloodlust, for the first time in history they have decided to come together, to join forces and create a force that can repel the invaders from these lands.

Many of the monsters move directly to the front lines, an ever shifting battlefield where lives are short and brutal. The armies of the various civilized races are effectively tied up in these various battlefields, and it is expected all monsters will put in time there.

But it is not the only job for monsters to do - just as important, monsters are sent afield to sow chaos and demoralize the enemy civilian populations. This is where the bulk of weaker monsters end up, practicing their craft until they can effectively take on the heroes that frequent the battlefields and have a chance of surviving.

Sometimes, there are even special missions or tasks monsters are given to interrupt enemy supply lines or settlements, or deal with various pressing issues. These are given by the demons.

The demons... these creatures are the glue that holds this monstrous alliance together. No one is truly sure from where they came, but they arrived in an hour of need. It is they who handle the planning and logistics of this war - and it is to them you must now report.

But before you enter, the infernal troll at the gates informs you that you must make a choice before you enter. You must choose your companion.

The companion is a creature with the ability to speak many languages to aide communication, fly messages from place to place, and provide aid when needed. Each group of monsters is assigned only one.

You may choose as your companion a Parrot, a Corvid, or a Devil. You may also ask any questions you want to now - when you are let inside, you will be brought directly to your demonic overlord for a briefing on what you will do next.

Okay everyone, this is the official in game thread - We'll agree on various conventions as we go, but for now OOC stuff is plaintext, IC stuff is coloured.

Our first session will be at Thursday 5:30 EST (10:30 GMT)
We'll be using AIM, which you don't have to install. You can launch it from:
http://products.aim.com/products/express
though you WILL have to create an account. We might switch to IRC eventually, but the first session or two, at the least, will be in AIM.
It may not be the best time for everyone, either, but this is mostly a trial run to see how this will work. If you can make it, let me know - if you can't, feel free to participate in the thread for now - we'll try to hash out a time when it can work out, and I'll be trying to get another host who can handle people in less convenient time zones.

For now, you can introduce your characters, interact, and think about which companion you want.

AIM name will be GlyphGryph
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:57:20 pm by GlyphGryph »

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal: Wrath of the Wilds - Game Start
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:32:17 pm »

Tikkerie sized up the possible companions before him. The parrot stood preening it's feathers. After just one glance, the cockatrice knew he could never travel with it. Far too vain, he thought, making sure his own feathers were shining and in order. Satisfied, he turned his attention to the other two.
Demons made Tik nervous, no matter how small. He turned away from the imp.
That left the crow.
Tikkerie regarded the crow. The crow let loose a gutteral cry, and Tik quickly scrambled backwards, stumbling into a fellow monster.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:50:16 am »

Black woke abruptly when something hit him in the side. He had decided to take a nap before entering the turmoil of the camp, and nobody had even noticed him when he dozed away, tucked deeply in the shadows, until now. The panther rose from the shadows of the wooden pallisade, looked at the scaled bired in front of him, and the gaze of the monster made him feel weird - so he quickly leaped towards the troll at the entrance. After a short conversation, Black approached the three companions standing in front of him. "Birds? I eat birds. But this one will do", and he pointed at the small demon creature at the end of the line.

He shouted "Hey, Birdy. Have a good hunt." to the cockatrice before he entered the camp, and started looking for a cozy place of deep darkness.

I'm available on thursday. Now checking AIM.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:34:41 am »

The troll put out his arm to stop the panther.

"Hold on now, its got to be one of them... "group" decisions. The demons wants it should be a lesson or something. Right now we got a vote for the devil, and a vote for the crow... I think a vote for the crow anyways."

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:18:34 am »

"Ah. I see. Well, I'll get back to my old spot till the rest arrives."
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »

Tikkerie cackled unhappily. Birdie?! How dare you, cat! Tik became so caught up in the wording that he missed entirely the good intent behind them. Naturally, he did not voice his objections aloud. After all, the shadow panther was larger than he.
Tikkerie lashed his tail in agitation. When would they be allowed to pass?

Yup, that was a vote for the crow. Also, bump.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »

"Weeeeell then... then I vote for the paaarot! Wahaihahahahahahaha!"
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 03:24:19 pm »

Tika tika, tika tika... the flesh is succulent on the parrot... perhaps to much so... I think it is more for eating than for talking... skhaaa... I say we take the imp... better to spy for us in the dark holes of the humans...

One vote for taking the imp and one vote for eating the parrot.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »

A hulking wolf stalked to the palisade, moving its massive head around to look at the companions gathered around him.

"Crow."

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 03:47:41 pm »

"Ah, I agree. The parrot looks tasty. Hey, Greenskin, if you don't need that parrot anymore, I say we eat it."

One more vote for eating the parrot.
*WHACK*

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 03:52:53 pm »

Though he finds cannibalism distasteful, Tikkerie cannot stand the sight of a bird with brighter plumage than his own.

One more vote for eating the parrot!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 04:26:16 pm »

The humongous Ogre scratches his head, looks at the shady Imp and the tasty Parrot, and votes for using the Imp and eating the Parrot.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 07:50:15 am »

The parrot is starting to look very worried. Very worried. The devil just sort of grins.

3 votes devil
2 votes crow

4 votes for eating the parrot.

A short time later, a new parrot is sent for to replace the pile of blood and feathers for when the next group of monsters shows up, and the party is ushered inside.

"The Devil can be a little less reliable than many of the messengers, but he knows who the bosses are. And you're going to see them now. Also, the little bugger is more powerful than he looks - he can control small flame jets if you ever need anything lit on fire."

The Imp flutters about a bit.
"Thank gods you guys ate that freakin' parrot. You haven't had to stand around with him for hours, but trust me - destroying that feeble minded gossip was the right choice. You'll be much happier with me in your group."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 07:55:36 am »

You are led into a large tend, and in the tent is a large throne upon which a massive demon sits, chin resting on his hand.

He straightens as your group enters, and raises a hand for silence. Then he begins to speak, in a low rumbling voice.

"Otuthurikerog owecedefash osoxopuq citiph gubohiwo araw yaluyubecunaz. Othokeshul bequphola. Irushoje vaphubidosh inaphecho higobutachexo? Viwushuq withewo ufiyuw ibofisa wodaxayal talishuje irohith utozivafathe witaja payamagur inofotuta uyofirus tuphech, phocirish evukijoquej mebinuxoph jodathaphesop ituvub quwuzekiquo. Uyusho ehakoshephiqu obenephebipoq ataquahibep pufozovisack urafophona ujofophe cbaweyedge ajathekuque ujuviba xregewugeck equisojifuy dibevedathas cisey etoge ethakevamor yiradujeshaza hitewetoh phuhupiwex iphivibopol efugomoshebuq ehiliqua eduzafeph quipixexuna! Erivosihukof xusiph ucubobo, duxash aciva avege ksabapohudax urezodge uwaxach chothul. Chakadede iroya ubecujoy imochukiphul asupasiz ogiphamovech. Mixanovuc phoguchito rezaphuh azawvokog."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:20:52 am »

The devil flits up to the demons shoulder.

"Okay, I'll translate for you guys, since that's my job. He says you guys are pretty awesome looking, and should totally go find the nearest high level hero and impale yourselves on his sword."

The demon turns his head slowly and glares at the devil. "Uh, slaughter him?"

"Okay, okay!" says the devil, apparently struggling with some force in his head. "Actually, he welcomes you, and explains a bunch of stuff about how you can choose to go on missions, go hunting on your own, or visit the battlefields. In addition, he encourages you to return with any valuables or magical artifacts you find. The demons can make use of such things, and you may be granted various demonic boons or your own lair in return."

This thread will only be usable for going hunting. Each chat session, however, will start with you choosing one of the three options.

You can hunt three times per day. Once during the sunlight hours, once during twilight, and once in the night.

You must choose a region, density, and location to hunt.

For regions, your options are the Forestlands (Elves and rarely Humans), the Coastal Plains (Humans), or the Mountains (Dwarves and occasionally Goblins).

The densities are:
Wilderness, Fringe, Settled, and City

Locations are based on the previous two choices.

First suggestion for each (by a different poster) wins. :P

You can also continue conversing with each other and the demon and devil for now as well. You'll depart sometime tomorrow for the hunt.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8