Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Fortress - massive - no bookkeeper  (Read 1274 times)

phappyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Fortress - massive - no bookkeeper
« on: September 02, 2006, 05:43:00 pm »

I think my fortress is unique in that I apparently should have forged some coins or ... something. The point is that because my in-game progress has retarded, I've been able to build out in other ways.  I've attached a map of my fortress below.

Things to note:

* This is my first fortress I managed to survive the winter with, so go easy on me. I just now realized this setup won't work once I make coins/get a bookkeeper as I'm wide-open.

* Most everyone gets a 3x3 room at least--many get 5x5.  After seeing everyone else's rooms, I think I'm going to shrink down to 2x3 max unless my dwarves deserve a larger room.

* I think I am way too open on the lava side. Apparently you guys have problems with monsters?  :) I have had 3-4 runins with Fire Men, but nothing I can't handle.

* I am a big fan of Nile-style farming.  If you start with two good miners like I did, you can build out huge farming tracts for the same amount of effort as a smaller mechanism/lever-based setup.  I understand that lizardmen are annoying (I have been attacked 6+ times by lizard/snakemen), but...who cares?  Build a Nile-style farm early, and seal off the area if it's too dangerous...I guess.

* I was early in the process of building a lava moat around my base (until I came here and realized my fortress setup isn't viable). Is it possible to build a bridge over a (lava) canal? If so: awesome.

Without further ado, here's the fortress:

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Fortress - massive - no bookkeeper
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:51:00 pm »

anything is viable, oh best thing about dragon fortress... firemen? TASTY SNACKS!

demons? food as well, and I don't need to bridge over the lava, dragons can waltz through it.

oh shit wrong topical creme.

HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:54:00 pm »

Incidentally, that is the most cluttered fortress I have ever seen. =P
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

phappyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 08:15:00 pm »

Ok, it turns out I won with this fortress. My "defense strategy" was to activate everyone in advance so they had weapons (I have tons of obsidian short swords and many sweet crossbows, and some armor here and there).  Then I just started digging. I lost about 20 people total and killed 5? demons. I'm not sure how many there were.

Awesome. I will definitely hoard less next time (I had over 1500 beers in storage--or as the dwarves would say, 'still not enough').

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 10:50:00 pm »

Yeah, seriously, demons are slightly overrated...  I think that most people just get taken by surprise by them and don't have a few legendary weapon-dwarves to take them out.  People also rely too much on conventional traps, which have no effect on demons, and flooding, which doesn't stop the frog ones.

Crossbows and spears help a lot, too.  Demons are bigger than you so it's all about those criticals...  but you really only need one good spear critical per demon to take them out of the action.

[ September 04, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One