Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The great invasion of chasm creatures  (Read 1915 times)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The great invasion of chasm creatures
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »

I traveled to the goblin dark tower to report the killing of cyclop to a goblin swordmaster, local leader who gave me this quest earlier. Along with me were team of 6 humans (3 children, 2 pikemen, 1 axeman) and one goblin hammerman. I recruited all of them earlier at this goblin tower, apparently goblins snatched a lot a children during wold gen, because most of local population were humans.

So I arrive at the site, go to the closest goblin tower, but when I am close to it a I see a ratman coming from the woods, so I go toward it to kill it. Then another 3 ratmen appear, then as I start fighting, I notice 3 antmen too, while I fight the ratmen and antmen keep coming, my companions also start fighting them (they were anitially far behind me, bacause I was perfectly agile, and much faster than them because of that). While we all fight more creatutes appear, I keep killing them with my Steel Warhammer, either by smashing their body or by propelling them away, the pikemen are stabbing them to death and chilrden punch and strangle them. When we killed about 20-25 of them they stopped coming so I moved further to kill 2 troglodytes that appeared there, when I started fighting, something that I have never seen before happened: ENDLESS STREAM of ratmen, antmen, troglodytes, and some large rats coming from 3 directions!!! I was initially very happy to make my killing list longer. So we fight, fight, fight... Blood spills everywhere, corpses starts piling up... I got tired after some time, then exhausted, so I continue fighting while prone. But these guys just won't stop coming! All 3 children died quite early in this battle. I keep fighting along with the rest, some local goblin fishery worker joined us too. The battle took long, VERY long, the longest battle I have ever had actually. My Unbelievably tough adventurer passed out 4 times during the time of the battle, it was so long. But we couldn't win this... All others except me and the human axeman were dead when I passed out the fourth time, surrounded by about 20 creatures, and then was strangled to death by one of the ratmen. Same fate happened to the axeman soon later. That is how it ended. My adventurer was legendary wrestler and very high level hammerman, shield user and armor user (something about Great level), yet we had no chance. They were just coming and coming and finally stopped nearly the very end.

The aftermath:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that there is probably about 3-4 corpses in every tile in the middle. You can see corpses of me, one of the pikemen, and some human peasant or swordsman a little further who apparently also took part in this battle. The corpses of the rest of my companions are buried under piles of ratmen and antmen corpses. At the east you can see a smaller pile of corpses, this is were we came from and where the first battle took place.

And my adventurer viewed in the legends mode:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had only 25 other kills before that battle. Also the armed ones of my companions were quite good and probably killed even more than me if you count them together.
No idea why my body was impaled on a pike after that, apparently goblins do it to whoever die in their site.

Note that this was vanilla DF, and I used absolutely no hacks of any kind.
Also this was so epic, but is also SCARY. The next time I see any antmen or ratmen running at me in adventure mode I am going to run away as fast as I can...
But seriously, I have a save from just before travel, I am going to go to nearest mountain halls and recruit some dwarves too, then come to this goblin tower and see if this fun can happen again.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:53:42 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: The great invasion of chasm creatures
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:34:46 pm »

I god, never seen anything like that before. Wish I had though, thats awesome ;D

I wonder what caused that, perhaps they were all the creatures from a long long chasm whos location got scrambled when you returned there? Even so, I would still wonder why they would all charge on you like that.

You should upload the save, I bet plenty of people would like to mess around with this.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »

You must record this, and can we haz worldgen?

Also: ZERG RUSH!
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:50:23 pm »

Ok I did some research.
Looking at the legends mode at my adventurer and his companions, it seems my party killed about 150-160 creatures total in this battle!

Also the situation is 100% reproducable. I was loading my save and traveling to the goblin fortress, and every time there is several large groups of creatures (about 10-20 per group) spawned on the map north from the towers and they rush whatever they have in sight, even mountain goats and hoary marmots!

I have got saves for you:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1938

There are 2 save folders:
- "region4 before travel" if you want a fresh start, you have to press (T) (9) (7) (>) to travel to the goblin fortress that is two map tiles to the north, then the Fun begins. You can also travel to the dwarf or human cities and get more reinforcements first, I am sure you can recruit at least one more companion to the party.
- "region4 after travel" is already traveled, spawned close to the center of Fun, for instant massacre.
I examined this save with Dwarf Companion, and there is a LOT of Fun spawned on this map, much more than you would want on any embark site.

Also there is a few corpses around goblin towers, there were little numbers of creatures there before, some got killed by me, some by locals, some local humans died too then.

This is pocket world by the way, the elven forest retreat got conquered by humans, but there is a group of elves left traveling near it. Also one human city got destroyed by goblins.

Funny thing that happened earlier is how the Demon leading the goblin civilization died while I was in goblin tower before. He apparently lost one leg during worldgen and was passing out from time to time. Sometimes in midair, as the demons can fly. He was then slamming on ground breaking different body parts. Finally he slammed on his head and died... You can find his corpse somewhere on site. His death may even have something to do with the whole invasion.

You have got a save now so you can experiment with it all yourself.

You can eventually extract the worldgen parameters from it, but I doubt it will have any use, as I visited the site earlier, and there was nothing special until all that happened. Also a replay won't be any fun - I had to skip 5 pages of announcements after every move, because of the number of creatures fighting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:03:39 pm by Rafal99 »
It explodes in gore!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:49:52 pm »

Tested the "region4 after travel" save. It is not as dramatic as the original battle, you get lots of creatures close around your party, but not all of them. The groups that are further seems to rush toward the towers. You should make the battle at same place as I did originally if you want it to be really epic.

Also set [MORE:NO] in init, this is much more playable that way.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:52:13 pm by Rafal99 »
It explodes in gore!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:59:38 pm »

See, this would likely not had lead to your death if you all piled up between the towers (you can take cover and also have a better chance to get away), that's what i learned from rougelikes, always fight as few enemies as possible, but, then again, teammates are idiots. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:46:41 am »

This seems to happen in the case of any map with a chasm. Both my friend and I took adventurers to an abandoned fortress of mine and were swarmed by thousands of troglodytes and ratmen. I ended up ending our excursions when I finally got in and sealed off the only entrance with the drawbridge.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:33:31 am »

See, this would likely not had lead to your death if you all piled up between the towers (you can take cover and also have a better chance to get away), that's what i learned from rougelikes, always fight as few enemies as possible, but, then again, teammates are idiots. :P

I doubt this will have much of an effect, there were about 20 creatures in ONE tile at some point of the battle, which means they can all reach you all at once even if you hide in a corner accesible from only 1 other tile. Also I would have less space to maneuver and move out from being surrounded if I was between the towers. Although I simply haven't had much choice, I didn't expect all this, I thought it would be some easy training of my hammer skill. They would actually never kill me, I was getting nothing more than gray bruises, if not the over-exertion... This seems to happen often when facing hordes of enemies, you finally get over-exerted, drop on the floor, get huge penalties to speed and all combat rolls, so they can get lots of attacks on you, while you make only very few and usually uneffective. Then you get even more over-exerted, fall unconscious and at some point you don't wake up again...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:37:11 am by Rafal99 »
It explodes in gore!

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 11:35:46 am »

I had this before, I 'T'ravelled to a human town only to spawn in the mead hall, went to the weapon shop... OMGAWESOMEARMY OF ENEMIES QUICK BUY MASTERFULLY MADE GREAT AXE KILL KILL KILL OVERWHELMED

But in all seriousness it is the most awesome thing I think
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »

I like how the Goblins impaled your head on a pike as an honor.  ;D

As soon as I get tired I try to run in circles around my enemies for a few moments of rest.  It may not be possible if they completely surround you, but if you can keep a tile's space to move around in you'll be able to keep up your endurance.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 12:45:27 pm »

Ok, I literally just had this experience but just outside a mountainhome instead with a guard and my 6 friends.

It was seriously awesome, at first I thought I was going to die but everything just clicked together and the king ended up helping us (quite a lot, I'm suprised he's not a legendary wrestler)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 02:23:48 pm »

Had this happen in a DD version. had an army of several hundred antmen, trogs and giant ants invading a small mountainhome. first few times i barely managed to get my adventurer out of there with her skin intact, and when i finally managed to help the dwarves get rid of the last of the monsters, there were maybe 5 dwarves left out of 70ish
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 08:06:54 pm »

I think my favorite part is how after you've battled fiercely and cut down an entire horde of chasm beasts before dying, the goblins sneak out and impale your body on their tower like it was them.
Damn goblins.  :D

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:56:51 pm »

Yet you never see the spiked bodies...
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.
Pages: [1] 2