Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Game Idea: The Metropolis  (Read 3419 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Game Idea: The Metropolis
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 03:51:53 pm »

In a semi-tech-demo way, my 7DRL could support what I assume to have been ~2000 enemies. Each player turn required about 10 loops of the list, so 20k. Additionally, although holding a button would lag, it would get over one per second, so maybe 50k. As it was a circular doubly linked list, I assume it may have had a much greater chance of a cache miss, and by moving to large arrays it would likely improve further. On top of that, the data I am refrencing was on an old school computer and it was compiled without optimization. On any newer computer, even a mostly full map would show little delay at all. Additionally, I was using a somewhat inefficient graphics system, so the fact that it was only giving a few frames per second was likely a result of that, rather than the AI being slow. Further, as the AI in my RL was moving at an average of once every 10 loops, it was closer to 30 loops per second, plus rendering delays, and using a similar system of counting down and then acting when it passes 0 for a game like this would average something closer to 100 loops before any recalculation must be done, and that it would only aim to loop once or twice a second, I can come to the conclusion that my idea for simulating the entire population would likely be plausable even for (random but plausible number) 100k people.

Also, the flaw of a generated-as-needed system is when you see the whole population at once, or when you quit the view temporarily and then try to return to viewing the same citizen, or worse, view somewhere else and return. It would end up caching everyone in hopes of being able to provide realism or leaving the players with subtle moments of immersion breaking evident fakeness.
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »

WHat I'd do if I were making this, is have the game keep track of a few hundred importnant peaple in detail, and then abaut a thousand groups, each with maybe 100-1000 members. The group system would be invisible to the player, and there would be enought groups that at no point does the game need to have two characters from the same group onscrean at the same time, thus the player dosnt notice they're clones. If the player keeps 'er atention at a single peson for long enoguth that it has do do more than one action, a "importnant person" object is generated for it with the group as a template. if the player does that a WHOLE lot a cleanup function  would be needed to deleat "importnant pepale" who were not in fact importnant, but considering it'd reuire a few minutes of folowing a boring persons actions a player probably wouldn't do it several hundred times in a single game, exept if that game was an extreme long runner, in wich case theyä'd die of old age.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 06:06:46 am »

Come on! If the player is gonna be so bug-thirsty, he's gonna find something anyway. I think as far as this game's goals go, the population slice at examination idea is sufficient. Maybe there should be a list of recently tracked people, and a normal non-OCD player shouldn't need more than a hundred of them.
So, no one's come up with any prototypes? By the way, which language would you go programming this thing in? Putting aside the fact that most commercial games are programmed in C++ or C#, is there a language that's especially fit to handling population statistics?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 06:33:29 am »

Putting aside the fact that most commercial games are programmed in C++ or C#, is there a language that's especially fit to handling population statistics?

Stats you'd mostly do in a database engine anyway, tends to be faster because that is what they are designed to do.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:00 am »

You mean this weird thing called SQL?

Or I just shouldn't embarrass myself with my ignorance?...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 07:19:50 am »

You mean this weird thing called SQL?

Or I just shouldn't embarrass myself with my ignorance?...

Either sql queries or stored procedures but yes. I'd recommend c++ for language of choice for the rest of the game but then I always do :) However it's probably up to whoever starts prototyping it and I wouldn't be able to get involved for weeks yet so I'll just leave my suggestions at that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 2 [3]