Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with a creature entry?  (Read 563 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Help with a creature entry?
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:39:19 pm »

So, there was an amusing typo made regarding Marksdwarves, and now I deeply, deeply desire Sharkdwarves.  So guys, what would a Sharkdwarf look like as a creature entry?

Also, are there any limitations to be aware of with aquatic races?  And if we make sharks trainable, are there issues there?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a creature entry?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:52:44 pm »

What I would do is look at the entries for Sharks, Mermaids and Dwarves, and then make some kind of combination of the 3.

It is currently impossible to have a playable aquatic race that works in fortress mode, because of pathing-through-water problems. Simply put, the game will not let your dwarves, or sharkdwarves, go somewhere that is underwater.

But you could certainly add a Sharkdwarf creature that would show up in rivers or somesuch.
The only real issues with training aquatic animals is that they usually drown very fast if you take them out of the water. I think there is a way to do it.. but I don't know how offhand.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a creature entry?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:03:38 pm »

I believe it's possible to set up a kennel in a special area, and then flood the area with 4/7 water.  Dwarves will be able to move around, and aquatic beasts will still have enough water to survive.  The kennel apparently still works even when it's flooded...

The process was refined by I3erent, in ages past.  He trained war carp.