Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to force an embark in un-embarkable terrain?  (Read 1342 times)

Afterburner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to force an embark in un-embarkable terrain?
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:36 am »

One of the things I would like to do is try my hand at building a fortress on a desert island.  Unfortunately, as near as I am able to determine, creating an island biome that fits completely within a 6x6 embark area while being surrounded on all sides by water is impossible.  Or at least very difficult.

Just a few minutes ago, however, I found an island edge that had a lot of beach on it.  The 6x6 embark area was over half beach, with the rest being ocean.  That seemed like a good compromise, so I hit "e".

And nothing happened.

Even though 20 of the 36 tiles in the embark area were beach tiles, it wouldn't let me embark.

Is there a way to force the game to let me embark there?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to force an embark in un-embarkable terrain?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:01:04 am »

Yeah, there's a fan-made utility called Embark Anywhere that does exactly what your hoping for. Let me go find it...
EDIT: Found it! You should also check out the Community Mods and utilities list. It's loaded with good stuff.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:05:29 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Afterburner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:11:21 pm »

Awesome.  Thanks!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »

Toady should just make it an init file option.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:19 pm »

It would probably break worldgen, trying to drop mountainhomes on peaks and towns in lakes.

Actually, given the level of abstraction that goes on, such sites would probably work just fine until you brought them into the active play area. Then everything would flood and explode. Which is good.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:30 pm »

It would probably break worldgen, trying to drop mountainhomes on peaks and towns in lakes.

Actually, given the level of abstraction that goes on, such sites would probably work just fine until you brought them into the active play area. Then everything would flood and explode. Which is good.

A grand goblin tower floated in the middle of a huge-ass lake, unbothered and prosperous for literally hundreds of years. They killed many dwarves and elves, and had kidnapped children by the hundreds. All was well until, one day, that FUCKING human guy saw our tower and then things went batshit insane and OH GOD NOOO, ABANDON... tower? Blleeeuuuuuuuu GURGLE GURGLE GURGLE dead.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:05:22 am »

It could be done that way, or just at the last minute. Probably will be handled when we finally drive our wagon to our site, Oregon Trail-style.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:42:50 am »

If you want to try and game the system, and don't mind the islands in lakes, you can use custom world parameters to get islands you can fit in an embark. not sure if I've ever seen one that'd go in a 6x6 though.

Just set the minimum elevation to 100, then turn on the elevation mesh and put in a large number (like 400) for the 80-100 field, then smaller numbers (like 10-20) for 60-80, 40-60, and 20-40. Play around with it to get something that works, and it should generate a mountainous world full of lakes and islands. Some of those islands should be only 1 tile on the worldview, and some of those 1 tile islands may not overflow to an adjacent world tile. Of course, the smallest I've ever gotten one this way was 8x9 or so, but it's not like you'll be getting many immigrants or anything...

Oh, and as with all custom world specs, don't forget to set the minimum biomes and elevations to 0.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:46:34 am »

There's actually some pregenned islands lying around the forums. Search around for island embarks.