Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you capture and tame fish and other water creatures?  (Read 5297 times)

Afterburner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you capture and tame fish and other water creatures?
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:57:39 pm »

Just what it says on the tin.

At the DF wiki, they have a list of tame-able animals.  Many of the listed animals are fish and other critters that live in the sea, like sharks and whales.

How does one go about getting one of these critters captured and tamed?  There's a basking shark lurking offshore in my current fortress that I'd like to have as a pet.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: How do you capture and tame fish and other water creatures?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:05:16 pm »

The tamable tag is on pretty much all animals, save sentient ones and a few monstrous exceptions. Actually taming  them would be difficult though, because you'd need to have the animal in a cage. I'm not sure if catching them in a cage will prevent them from drowning as you lug them around, but it might. In that case you'd probably have to build some sort of room which you could flood and then empty remotely so you can build a cage trap, flood the room to allow the shark in and catch it, then empty the room and get the cage. This is all guess work on my part though, since I'm not to experienced in such things. I'm not even sure the traps work under water.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:14:31 pm »

Alternatively, just design a room in which to capture him, with a long submerged tunnel going to a glass aquarium, with floodgates every so often to keep him from going backwards.  You probably won't be able to tame him even if you can catch him.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:22:50 pm »

Using the forum search function and looking for 'warcarp' turned up a few threads...
The process seems to be roughly along the following lines.

1, build room near the source of carp or other fish.
2, fill it with cage traps, (and a kennel).
3, connect room to carp source
4, wait for fish to swim into room and get trapped in cages
5, drain the room of water
6, construct an alaborate complex system of floodgates and such and then reflood the room but only up to 3/7 water... enough so that the fish don't drown but the dwarfs don't either...
7, tame the fish, train them as war fish if you've edited the raws.

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:29:59 pm »

I remember that thread and was searching for it, here it is:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=15371.0

The very last page was someone trying to have tame fish for food purposes, doesn't really seem to work.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »

Using the forum search function and looking for 'warcarp' turned up a few threads...
The process seems to be roughly along the following lines.

1, build room near the source of carp or other fish.
2, fill it with cage traps, (and a kennel).
3, connect room to carp source
4, wait for fish to swim into room and get trapped in cages
5, drain the room of water
6, construct an alaborate complex system of floodgates and such and then reflood the room but only up to 3/7 water... enough so that the fish don't drown but the dwarfs don't either...
7, tame the fish, train them as war fish if you've edited the raws.

Fish won't air-drown in cages, even regular wooden ones, so this isn't an issue.  Getting your dwarves to put them back in the water without killing them IS an issue, though.

The very last page was someone trying to have tame fish for food purposes, doesn't really seem to work.

Hrm, I suddenly have to experiement with something.  *opens DF*

Actually, come to think of it, there's still the question of getting a tame fish back into a cage.  Still going to run the experiement I was going to run.

Edit: Well, that worked.  If you dump cages with tame fish through a hole above the center tile of a butcher's workshop, they'll be right there for the butcher to slaughter.  The butcher can still access the fish, since the fish themselves can't be forbidden (as items are after being dumped), and said butcher doesn't have to drag the fish anywhere to slaughter them.

That still leaves the problem of getting tame fish back INTO a cage to slaughter them, though.

Edit 2: The cages would not even list the carp in 4/7 water as animals to be caged.  I tried reducing the water to 3/7 (making the carp begin to air-drown), and it still didn't list them.  The carp died, so I decided to give up on this.  The only other option that I can see would be knocking them out so they trigger submerged cage traps.  ...I may examine that possibility some other time.

However, in the process, I examined the myth that dwarves will path through 4/7 water for jobs.  That myth is now BUSTED.  They WERE quite happy to path through 3/7 water to a remove a wall that was next to 3/7 water, though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:45:50 pm by Malicus »

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:04:07 am »

So, what happens if you tame some carp this way, then release them (via flooded, built cage linked to lever) back into the wild? Would they fight the wild carp?
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:26:33 am »

Yes, but only if they run into each other.  Tamed fish don't choose to move from where they landed when released.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 03:21:02 am »

Good time; gah have I been here that long?
There is more research to be done in Carp traps, possibly having the front entryway including a dip to be filled with 3/7 water, with an included line of carp? I think they might function as good goblin bolt stoppers (if memory serves, carp are holy hell to kill with arrows, but everyone tries from a gawdawful range anyway).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 03:13:42 pm »

I think we tried this with carp in Abbeyverse.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.