Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I get DF to stop notifying me about discovering normal rocks?  (Read 864 times)

Afterburner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the flurry of n00b questions.  This should be the last one for today.

We've all had it happen.  You're fighting a goblin ambush or something and then suddenly the view centers on your miners digging deep beneath the earth, as they proudly announce the discovery of orthoclase or microcline.

And...big deal.

Is there a way I can make it so it only announces the discovery of ores and gems?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get DF to stop notifying me about discovering normal rocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:00:14 pm »

As far as I know just by removing them.  The game hasn't yet been taught to know the difference between valuable rock clusters and worthless rock clusters. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

there is something you can do, i dont know what it is exactly but ask over in the modding section and they could tell you.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:47:22 am »

Try using the utility Just Dig it Out. I'm not sure if it's currently up to date or if it works for rock strikes, though. But it can prevent wet\warm stone from causing a notification.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:42:42 am »

As far as I know just by removing them.  The game hasn't yet been taught to know the difference between valuable rock clusters and worthless rock clusters. 

This is the specific problem. To go into a little more detail: The game will give you a notification any time it strikes a vein or cluster - period. Anything that could suppress the messages for worthless stone is all too likely to do so for metal ores(though I think not site features or HFS, which actually spawn a pop-up message).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:08:44 am »

I don't think JustdigItOut will work, that's only for damp stone and warm stone.

Dtil has a "Vein Helper" utility that does exactly what you want, though I'm not sure if it's available for the newer releases of DF.