Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions about RTD conventions...  (Read 1541 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions about RTD conventions...
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:20:07 pm »

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this.

I was wondering about creating my own RTD on these here forums, and I have a few questions.

A: Is a player character controlled by the GM acceptable? Even if subjected to the exact same treatment as other players (completely at the mercy of the dice)?

B: Will anyone here participate in an RTD based around internet memes? It won't be a silly 4chan type thing, but at first glance it might appear that way (the basic idea is that all the memes and stuff are real, so you may very well come face to face with Chuck Norris or Weegee)?

C: What is the usual turn & post rate for an RTD around here?

D: Would the people here accept an unusually story-centric (at least I think it's unusual, I haven't read very many RTDs) game and participate in it?

Thanks for any help.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Re: A few questions about RTD conventions...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »

A. GMs use them all the time, they're called NPCs.
B. I know I would be in on that.
C. It really just depends on the GM and/or the players. Jet lurked like hell in my game, but generally, you can just skip inactive player's turns.
D. Come again?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:28:30 pm »

As to question D.. yes, people here will participate in a story-centric RTD.  The game that I run is very story driven.  However, they do tend to be the exception to the norm.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:41:53 pm »

ExKirby hit most of the points on the nail.  As to story-centric RTD's, they have a way of not always going the way you would want them to.  Expect players to turn down side quests, focus on totally unrelated things, and in general find ways to make trouble (you don't always need to provide it; the dice will help).  That said, there are many players who will try to go down the general path you have set for them, just remember that it's not always easy to do with a 50% chance of failure or catastrophic success.

With regards to turn-length, usually 24-48 hours is good to start with, but that will fluctuate wildly as an RTD goes on.  We got two turns a day for about a month in Multiworld Madness near the beginning, but now we're lucky to get one a week.  Of course, such fluctuations are usually due to the GM, so you can probably bring them under control.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »

A. GMs use them all the time, they're called NPCs.
B. I know I would be in on that.
C. It really just depends on the GM and/or the players. Jet lurked like hell in my game, but generally, you can just skip inactive player's turns.
D. Come again?
HEY! which game btw?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:35:19 pm »

Roll To Mana.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 07:30:56 pm »

As for story-centricness, I think I'll have the story be "more of a guideline than a rule", with only a beginning of a beginning and and end of an end planned. That'll be far easier for me anyway.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »

A) Yes, like ExKirby said, they are used all the time. 
B) It might not appeal to some, but I'm sure you'll find enough players. There are a lot of posters on these forums.
C) It does depend on the game. Some almost have an update a day, while others have one maybe once a week. I've both hosted and played in both kinds; the 1 week intervals are a little stressful, so try not to shy away from that. Most players will probably take slow updated over an abandoned game, though.
D) If you request that all players who join the game pay attention and abide by the story, then it should work. If you don't specifically request this, but create a story anyway, some will follow along while others will flat out ignore it.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:04:00 am »

Roll to Mana died like hell

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:54:30 am »

I've noticed that NPC's have a knack for ceasing living before long though.
What do you think? Yes? No?