Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: More Dwarfy Livestock  (Read 9590 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Dwarfy Livestock
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:03 pm »

Care to point out the part where I claimed to have insight beyond basic conjecture based on the state of the game right now? There's no need to froth at the mouth over it.

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2010, 01:59:56 pm »

I think you all forget about gameplay issues:

Sure, you could have inguanas instead of dogs and spiders instead of cats.

But think of new player. Whatever would be more "dwarfy" would also be much less familiar. So you can take giant fruit bats (a suggested replacement for milkables) with you on embark. Huh? what is that for? Why can dwarves start with tamed bats?
That's a legitimate concern, but it would also apply to all the "special" things in the game such as dwarf cheese and plump helmets. Using clear designations would greatly reduce the problem, such as having "badger (pet)" or "domestic bat (milkable)". I'm massively in favor of improving the interfaces to be more clear for newbies, and recognize that this would make it more difficult. That said, if we need special crops to grow below ground it would make sense that we would need special animals too. Do most newbies worry about bringing along a lot of animals anyway? I know I never did...

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2010, 04:59:31 pm »

I just realized how to prove that dwarves live underground. You actually made me question if I really was correct, good job. Bit of a facepalm when I realized it. In adventure mode, go to a dwarven mountain hall. It's underground. In a mountain.

Dwarves live underground.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2010, 12:39:31 pm »

And humans often live in cities. What's your point? I never questioned whether they dig, I merely questioned this assumed total agoraphobia in the face of contrary evidence. Namely, cows. The argument that it's just a placeholder doesn't truly hold water seeing they already use underground vegetation.

Why do I get the feeling no one actually reads what I type in but instead just glance at it and construct some ridiculous strawman in their heads?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2010, 03:03:13 pm »

Why do I get the feeling no one actually reads what I type in but instead just glance at it and construct some ridiculous strawman in their heads?

I think everyone else here gets the same feeling.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Eade Bladeseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2017, 12:53:51 am »

I think your animal ideas make a lot of sense, especially the weasel family members. Having a pet ferret, I would definitely say they can be tamed. I definitely agree that we should play around with animal ideas for livestock. I was just making the point to others that what you are suggesting is actually in compliance with Toady's own ideas, since some seem to think it is unusual that a race that lives underground in a world teaming with underground life would have their own kinds of livestock!

Bump for ferrets (domesticated weasel), because;

- cuter than cats.
- very playful pet.
- very curious, social (follows the owner around), smart (can open doors and drawers if not closed properly) and brave, (will beat a cat in a fight).
- likes to live in a burrow, a good cage is also fine.
- almost blind, doesn't mind to live underground.
- loves to dig and tunnel.
- they eat vermin, (e.g. mice, rats, frogs, worms, insects) and also rabbits.
- can be used to hunt for rabbits
- steals and hide/stash stuff they enjoy (normally food) like a professional thief  :) (they (re)move vermin).
- compared to cats they are quite small.
- just like dwarfs. Perfect dwarf pet.
- for fur coats and blankets,  :o;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:41:13 pm by Eade Bladeseeker »

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2017, 12:52:30 pm »

This wasn't dead for 7 years or anything...
Not a bad idea/necro either.

Eade Bladeseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »

Thanks! Anyway, from the front page;

"BEFORE POSTING A SUGGESTION
Search for an existing thread. If you find a thread similar to your idea, you can bump it to expand on the suggestion, even if the thread is old."

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »

I modded in woolly bear-cats.  Shear em, make em pull wagons, train them for war.  Multi-purpose and they're so fluffy!  Nice thing about DF is if you think the game needs that little something extra, you can just add them in!  I think I should probably mod in a domestic cave tortoise for dwarves to make soup and hats out of.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2017, 03:24:16 pm »

Yeah it would be nice to have some more 'dwarfy' livestock that does well underground, at least does somewhat well underground before making a cavern layer 'safe' to graze animals in.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2017, 11:54:37 pm »

I would like it if ferrets were in the game.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]