Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

conflict meps remake - what do you think about it?

(1/3) > >>

marco_fera:
Greetings,
I'm new to this great forum, I've just found it.
I'm the developer of a remake of "Conflict: MEPS", I saw an entire thread about the original, and I also saw some of you found my remake.
I've tried to look for reviews and impressions on my version on the web with no luck; now, I didn't expect to be reviewed on gamespot but I really need some opinions because it's impossible to judge my own work, and since I'm working on a new project it would be great to know what you liked and what you didn't.
You can download the game at
http://www.filefront.com/13537306/Conflict-M.E.P.S./
Ciao
Marco

Servant Corps:
Bridge over Troubled Water? I played it a bit, and am planning an AAR/Let's Play on it soon.

I think it's a decent remake, and am okay with it, but it took me some time to get it to work. I have made some suggestions on your blog a while back, but I don't expect much.

Others may have different views though on this issue.

Some random thoughts:

I must admit though that I never bothered actually waging a war in Bridge Over Troubled Water, because I didn't really understand and liked the combat system, so I guess that might be a problem. Instead, I just used the tried and true method of using Mossad to kill everything.

The thing I liked the most though was the data that you give the player. In regular Conflict: MEPS, you are left guessing what's going on, while in this game, you are granted a lot of information.

There is really no penalty for abandoning Palestine other than Israel being paralyzed for a turn. In regular MEPS, giving up Palestine gives more troops to Syria and Egypt, two Arab rivals that you have to kill anyway. But in your game, that penalty really wouldn't work since your goal is not to destroy Arab states, but just to survive until elections.

Speaking of which, it's such a shame the game ends after elections.

Once you destroyed the Arab dictatorships, you can begin to slowly lose popularity. Since you can't provoke any nearby nation, the Israelis start getting upset and angry at your rule. The game should really allow for the Arab dictatorships to respawn...

Conclusion: Compared to, say, Conflict.NET, which I have downloaded on another computer, this remake is pure gold. Though I really liked how Conflict.NET got rid of the overpowered Mossad.

Deadmeat1471:
Im liking!!! i loved that game. Wished someone would remake :D

*edit*

Very good stuff, military system is a bit obscure  (needs more pointers as to what is going on), the map is nice, though the colours are not optimised for a political game. lines representing wars would be better as arrows with crossed swords or sommit showing explicitly war.

I like the diplomacy stuff, the political stuff, its brilliant. PLEASE keep it up!!! CMEPS is probably the best political simulator made, and this has very real promise!

marco_fera:
Just one note: the game is called "Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator" as the original, while Bridge over troubled water is only the name of the blog.
I hope to read other precious opinions!
Thanks

GreatJustice:
I am seriously sorry about the massive necro, but I think it might be needed.

Some of the new details on this look great (esp. diplomacy wise), but I don't see why you added a tactical war simulator when it wasn't needed.

Anyway, I can't run this properly. The screen size is just large enough that I can barely see around the Israel screen and I can't see any of the war options in the foreign policy screen. My screen resolution is 1024x600 and I think the game's resolution is higher. Unfortunately, I can't find any .ini file to modify, the game only runs from the start menu (not any desktop shortcut or the main .exe), and adding extensions to the command line only prevents it from working.

Any ideas on how to resize it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version