Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventuring styles  (Read 1474 times)

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventuring styles
« on: March 27, 2010, 08:44:45 pm »

How do you guys play adventure mode, you start and embark on a quest right away, train your skills, wander around, etc?

I recently started playing adventure mode and it's really awesome, so i wanted to know different styles.

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventuring styles
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:16:12 pm »

I run around and fight off things as a human. I'll look for places like goblin towers and caves in order to pick up the junk laying around. If I'm lucky one of the goblins is dead and I'll take his armor and weapons. Sell everything I find in a human town and buy a spare shortsword as an emergency weapon. Then I'll go cave exploring and run around till I get stronger.
DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »

I always train my skills first.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:18:38 am »

Find a town at night, steal everything I can, and leave before they perforate my throat. Then, flee to the nearest country, grab as many followers as possible, and start my raids on the dark towers, dungeons, whatever we come across.

MTGorilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Professor! Lava! Hot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:37:18 am »

I usually train up sneaking and throwing until I have a few points in toughness, then I'll go 'trade' (see: slaughter) with some elves, goblins, or kobolds until I can afford some decent gear.
After that, it's just stab/choke/burn anyone who gets in my way.
"Hey, Urist, let's party! We gonna be soooo sober tonight!"
"Nah, thanks, but I already came late to work today, because I drank to little the night before..."
Dwarven parties are hardcore

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 04:10:09 pm »

i train lots all the time
swim a cross a frezzing sea
climb mountans
fight wolf packs and bears with my bear hands.

then i can kill my foes.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:12:01 pm »

climb mountans

then i can kill my foes.

Bear hands? Pfft.
I equip bears and maul people with them.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »

I crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »

Ultimately, Losing is still Fun.  So training an adventurer to have the best possible stats and survival related skills is pretty doable, and you will, for the most part, cut/stab/bash/strangle your way through anything that crosses your path.  But at that level of consistent slaughter with no real peril to speak of will leave you having a kind of empty play experience.

But right at normal creation, following a quest to kill a giant right off the bat will almost universally get you killed, at least in my experience.

So there's a troubling balancing act of play styles, where you want to have some measure of survivability, but are neither hopeless nor so potent that each victory is meaningless.

I've found that I've cared about whether or not my Adventurer dies the most is when I've just started to get some success with getting some skills at a survivable level and am trying to obtain some good equipment.  A death at the beginning, or a death after I'm not entertained anymore by the endless slaughter I cause, are the deaths that I don't care about.

So, I'd suggest that the moment you have the skills and the nice armor, weapon, and shield, you go on a suicidal run.  Goblins or elves should do it.  Resist destroying humans so that your next adventurer can still use their shops.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:38:41 pm by bamorrow »
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:45:34 am »

I charge around for a bit killing wolves, after about 8 encounters I try to recruit some people to kill the lucky winner of the picture on a bounty board competition
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:38:15 am »

Start, find some people, go to the wild and kill everything that moves.

There might be lots of "friendly fire"

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:40:54 am »

getting quests, killing a couple semimegabeasts, getting cocky, and then being killed. going on many pointless adventures to exterminate to get revenge on whatever struck me down.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 07:18:41 pm »

Generally running around a desert, wrestling sandmen until I have legendary + 894732 wrestling, then I go kill some megabeast and get ambushed by wolves and die a dumb death. D=

Recently, though, I set out as an ether kobold (think orc, but bigger, more powerful, and a ton cuter) and besieged a town killing three, ran out, went to the next town in the civ, jacked up their mayor, killed a guard with a shield, stole two longswords from a weapon shop (and was suddenly using *«+green gold long sword+»* and a *chrome long sword* at once) and proceeded to an apartment, where I was shot down by a high priest.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 07:00:39 am »

climb mountans

then i can kill my foes.

Bear hands? Pfft.
I equip bears and maul people with them.

Maybe he is a bear. I bet you feel silly for bringing down a poor innocent bear now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:32:08 am »

Start a swordsman adventurer.
See that I didn't start with a two handed sword.
Wander to caves to pick up loose loot.
Buy two handed sword.
Throw starting shield like a frizbee at the first enemy I see.
Continue purchasing better gear until I have the best availible.
Attack nearest goblin/orc fortress and rescue prisoners.
Die from arrow to heart.
Rinse/repeat.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!