Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rocks containing Flammable Gasses  (Read 6154 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rocks containing Flammable Gasses
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:27:53 am »

Just read this article, and I believe that it is some of the best evidence of why flammable gasses should be included in Dwarf Fortress.

It describes a crater in a desert in Turkmenistan which exposed a massive deposit of natural gas which has been on fire for decades.
There is no official documentation of the creation of the crater, and the article states that by some accounts, it has been burning for over 200 years.  The article focuses on the story in which Soviet geologists accidentally caved the crater in, and realized it was full of poisonous gas.  They lit it on fire to burn the gas away so they could retrieve their equipment, but the crater never stopped burning...

Including rock layers which seep flammable gas when exposed has all kinds of potential for Fun.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Rocks containing Flammable Gasses
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:58:55 am »

So it's like aquifer, except more FUN.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:24:13 am »

I need to see that place...

added to my "to do before I die" list.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:49 am »

That's old and's been suggested multiple times.

But yeah, that thing is awesome.
Even though they appearantly weren't the most professional geologists, lighting it up was the only sensible thing to do - Natural gas is notorious for kill entire villages in their sleep.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 02:46:31 pm »

I believe someone did something like this. They set a stones boiling point to below normal temp and made them appear in clusters and look exactly the same as the stone their in. Results in stone vapor. And fun.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 03:43:32 pm »

There's an anthracite coal mine in Pennsylvania that's been burning since 1962... It'd be neat if you could strike the earth and discover abandoned mines, especially if they're on fire  8)

Link about Centralia, Penn.

Edit: I think this kinda belongs in the suggestion forum, though.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:45:30 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »

it has been burning for over 200 years.

Soviet geologists...They lit it on fire

Wait, were they the first ones to light it on fire or did they light it on fire, after it had already been on fire?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:56:53 pm »

They have time machines, duh.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:51:01 pm »

flammable miasma would be hilarious.

magma powered butchers shops. ;D
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »

That would be a truly novel challenge.
I brake for stumble bumblings

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:29:18 pm »

There's an anthracite coal mine in Pennsylvania that's been burning since 1962... It'd be neat if you could strike the earth and discover abandoned mines, especially if they're on fire 

Yeah, I've gone by Centralia before. It's kind of eerie. There were people living there, but just recently the government moved out everybody who was still there. It's entirely abandoned now.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 11:06:56 pm »

There's an anthracite coal mine in Pennsylvania that's been burning since 1962... It'd be neat if you could strike the earth and discover abandoned mines, especially if they're on fire 

Yeah, I've gone by Centralia before. It's kind of eerie. There were people living there, but just recently the government moved out everybody who was still there. It's entirely abandoned now.
Really? I thought the folks still living there were the sort of diehards who ain't never gonna leave their land, and there ain't a gawdarned thing the gubmint can do about it.

So, how did the gubmint get them to move?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 11:26:51 pm »

Really? I thought the folks still living there were the sort of diehards who ain't never gonna leave their land, and there ain't a gawdarned thing the gubmint can do about it.

So, how did the gubmint get them to move?

The Hammerer specializes in moving those who defy the nobility

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:00:58 am »

Hey, can someone link me to the news article thing with that crater? I'm sure I saw it before, but I can't find it anymore.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

JavelinD

• Bay Watcher
  • ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:34:33 am »

i wonder how many dwarves would be lost trying to recover pig tail socks...
Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun, Evil is good, and the first hit is free... Actually, all the hits are free... Dang, no wonder it's so addicting.
Pages: [1] 2 3