Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rocks containing Flammable Gasses  (Read 6153 times)

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocks containing Flammable Gasses
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 12:41:32 am »

You require more vespene gas
Decency and Logic have been struck down

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 01:01:22 am »

I believe someone did something like this. They set a stones boiling point to below normal temp and made them appear in clusters and look exactly the same as the stone their in. Results in stone vapor. And fun.

That would be me. And it is fun. Since it doesn't block the message you will be digging along in say marble and then suddenly you get the message "You have discovered marble". And it is at that very moment when your brain just creates a sort of "Oh Crap" message.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 03:34:57 am »

I believe someone did something like this. They set a stones boiling point to below normal temp and made them appear in clusters and look exactly the same as the stone their in. Results in stone vapor. And fun.

That would be me. And it is fun. Since it doesn't block the message you will be digging along in say marble and then suddenly you get the message "You have discovered marble". And it is at that very moment when your brain just creates a sort of "Oh Crap" message.

Totally badass.  What happened to the dwarfs when they encountered the stone vapor?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 04:11:18 am »

Totally badass.  What happened to the dwarfs when they encountered the stone vapor?

hmmm.. I like that idea.

This reminds me: someone else made a succession fort where they messed with Microcline, changing the ignition temps and whatnot. Can't find it now - too many microcline jokes on this forum.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 10:31:17 am »

I hate to sound like a real n00b, but I've never actually figured out why people made so many jokes about microcline. *shrug*

...Firewall defense mechanism, anyone?
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:50 am »

This reminds me: someone else made a succession fort where they messed with Microcline, changing the ignition temps and whatnot. Can't find it now - too many microcline jokes on this forum.

One of the Sparkgear forts, I think the one with the HFS as an enemy civilization.

I hate to sound like a real n00b, but I've never actually figured out why people made so many jokes about microcline. *shrug*

Play DF some more, and make sure you dig.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 11:11:56 am »

One of the Sparkgear forts, I think the one with the HFS as an enemy civilization.

No, I think it was the one after that one.

Fake Edit: Found it!: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45590.0

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 11:24:04 am »

I do, and I've seen it many times. Never figured it out anyway.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian loses juice.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 12:37:12 pm »

It's a painfully bright shade of blue, it messes up the colouring of your walls and if you replace it it cant be engraved, and also since it is so common every five minutes you get interrupted with "You have struck Microcline!" Oh praise the fucking miners, microcline!
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 12:50:39 pm »

It's a painfully bright shade of blue, it messes up the colouring of your walls and if you replace it it cant be engraved, and also since it is so common every five minutes you get interrupted with "You have struck Microcline!" Oh praise the fucking miners, microcline!
I've never found that muh microcline. o.o

But from the way you describe it, it makes me feel almost sympathetic for the dwarves.
The Russian loses juice.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 01:21:03 pm »

Interestingly enough, a few months ago I was link-surfing on Wikipedia and read up on Coal Fires:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_fire

There's actually a bunch of them burning at different parts of the world still to this day.  The one in Australia, Burning Mountain, has been estimated to have been burning for 6,000 years.

I suspect that it was an abandoned fortress...
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 05:48:51 pm »

I seriously wish we could build firetraps or something.
The Russian loses juice.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:57 pm »

I thought someone made a fire trap one time with a clever booze-dispensing apparatus and a bin of lignite.

One thing I'd like, that I remember fondly from Clonk Planet, is flammable liquids.  Throwing a flint into a pool of oil in that game led to Fun of the highest order.  Of course, Dwarven Wine could easily be substituted if it could be made to flow and fill like water or Magma
I brake for stumble bumblings

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 06:18:18 pm »

That would be a most awesome use for booze, if it could be carried in buckets and used to fill pools.  A giant spire of obsidian rising from a lake of Sunshine!
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 07:11:40 pm »

i wonder how many dwarves would be lost trying to recover !!pig tail socks!!...
Pages: 1 [2] 3