Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73

Author Topic: Netland RTD: Erectin' ADDITIONAL PYLONS  (Read 67465 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Netland RTD: Erectin' ADDITIONAL PYLONS
« on: March 28, 2010, 06:04:48 pm »

This is an RTD. You know the rules, and so do I.

The setting is in the far future, where the line between man and machine have blurred and been erased. The world as we know it no longer exists, replaced by a massive simulated universe in which all of humankind now resides, and mighty artificial intelligences rule as gods. This universe, modeled after the Internet of old (which most people were pretty much living in by that time anyway) is under attack by an unknown force of corruption. You are members of a party to destroy this force.

Spoiler: gods (click to show/hide)

When you start, you get the following:

1 No-adjective level in one skill/profession of your choosing.
Basic equipment, whatever makes sense given your backstory.
1 "Fate Point".

You can choose to use your "Fate Point" at any time, guaranteeing a 5 on one roll-able action. And no "I attempt to get two Fate Points", they are a game abstraction and your characters are not aware of them.

As for races and such: You can have a "race", and abilities that come with it (but it can't be too extreme). You can't be an "established individual" , but you can be a member of a race/class (I.E., you could say "I'm a TF2 Engineer" or "I'm a DF Dwarf", but you can't say "I'm Morul", or "I'm Chuck Norris"). It should have some basis in "internet lore".

Said "internet lore" is real in this universe, as well as a bunch of other fictional continuities. You could, if you wanted, ask Weegee to give you Weegee-stare powers (better have a charisma boost if you're going to try though).

There will probably be items you can collect and use/equip to modify rolls (buy "Strength-Booster Tonic" from a shopkeeper somewhere and get +1 to rolls involving raw physical strength for a certain number of turns)

I think that's all I need to say, so sign up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ZGtBA9r8Q&feature=related

DEATHS:

Knight85: Nuked to death by ExKirby.

TVTROPES PAGE:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Netland
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:11:37 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Netland RTD: Some stay dry and others feel the pain
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:47:48 pm »

Sounds interesting.

Name: Inteuniso
Race: Fap-Tau
Ability: Arm-Wrestling(Left)
Equipment: Tau armor, pulse rifle.

Description: Inteuniso sensed the Greater Good being threatened earlier than most. He was ready to serve all who needed him, if only to further society as a whole.

Race Description: Although unsure of how his race came to be named, the mysterious word at the beginning lost in the shrouds of time, it was generally known that the "Fap"tau had superior strength in their right arms compared to their left. Occasionally, one would be left-handed, making their left arm extremely strong.

The faptau race in general is a communist society, with all members working towards a "greater good". Most likely, this good referred to higher bandwidth speeds, or perhaps a boost in connectivity.

Note: I'm waiting for LolCats, something from 4chan (that will preferably be our necromancer/abomination character), and a adware bot.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:33:39 pm »

This oozes with tin. I mean, win. Usually when tin is oozing it's pretty hot and you'd burn yourself if you touch it. Win is good though.

I'm not sure what I might be though, there's a lot of options... and I've been considering starting a new forum game too, so it's one or the other... so many decisions...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:14:22 am »

Okay, I think I'm going to have to join this. This just looks too much fun.

Name: Jacob
Race: boring old human
Ability: sharpshooting
Equiptment: .44 Magnum, Fedora

Description: Jacob always loved to shoot things, and as such, that's what he practiced most. He found the best gun he could, and then practiced shooting things, from cards, to flies, anything small and that would increase his aiming skills. It was during these target sessions that he learned about strange events going on from other people, and decided to check them out, and put his skills to use.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:19:00 am by tehstefan »
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 05:43:15 am »

Name; Alexander Kyrby
Race; Infantry Squad Leader (Advance Wars)
Ability; Accuracy
Gear; Red Helmet, Red Army Gear, Combat Knife, .9mm Pistol, StA52 Assault Rifle, Meaningless Commander's Badge.
Description; If you really need a description, Google "Advance Wars Sprites". I'm just a regular Orange Star Unit (but orange star wears red for some reason...)
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:23:59 am »

I think I'll consider everyone registered and post the first turn once I'm done with my schoolwork (which should be around 5 P.M.).

To that end, you may want to add an action to your registration posts. Or do you want a more detailed situation post first?

This oozes with tin. I mean, win. Usually when tin is oozing it's pretty hot and you'd burn yourself if you touch it. Win is good though.

I'm not sure what I might be though, there's a lot of options... and I've been considering starting a new forum game too, so it's one or the other... so many decisions...

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. It probably takes a minute at most to think up and post an action in an RTD, and it's not like you're on a time limit when you're on the forums anyway.

You might choose to be a programmer, I bet a skilled coder would be able to do some neat things in a computer-generated world. Or, you could be a "diplomatic character", focused on communicating with other beings (remember, if you have +3 charisma, and the guys next to you have +2 strength, you effectively have two turns with +2 strength).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:56:39 am by Schilcote »
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:00 am »

Sure, I'll sign up.

Name: Little Tiger
Race: Code Manipulating Child (Think those kids in the Oracle's place in the first Matrix)
Ability: Seeing and semi-manipulating the code
Gear: Orange tunic
Description: "Wake up, Little Tiger," a voice called to him from the blackness of sleep.  Slowly he stirred.  "What is it?" he asked.  "Surely you sense it," the voice replied.  And he could; the code, it wasn't right.  There was something...off...something wrong, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.  He asked again, "What is it?"  The voice answered solemnly, "That is what you must find out."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:52:09 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:59:35 am »

Ehh... Frelock, I think your character is a little out of place. Ordo would definitely never allow something so "supernatural". I was thinking more like an actual programmer, with a little portable computer that can influence objects around it. I don't want to "crimp your style", but you know... it doesn't really go along with the setting. Something more sci-fi, Ordo loves a good string of technobabble.

EDIT:

NEEDS MOAR MEMBERS. At least 5. If, at the end of the day, we only have 4, I guess I'll have to include a GM controlled character.

EDIT:

Counting frelock, that's 4. I still say that his character doesn't quite fit, and I'd rather he changed it, but I'm rather impatient.

Also, I need actions.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:21:25 pm by Schilcote »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »

Very well, sorry about that.  Wasn't exactly sure what you were going for.  Lets try more along your lines then:

Name: real-Leonard Fritz; alias-CrazyTom
Race: Hacker
Ability: Hacking
Gear: Wristwatch, computer terminal, glasses and civilian clothes.
Description: Skinny as a bean, weak, and frail; don't ask him to do any physical exertion, and he'll break in a stiff breeze.  However, his mind is sharp, and he claims he can do anything with enough computing power.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 12:04:28 am »

I was going to be a troll, but then I decided to be...

The god of all awesome glasses!

Name: Vas Regis, King of Awesome Glasses
Race: Human(?)
Ability: From Glasses (Affects 'Choose Glasses' roll?)
Gear: Suitcase full of glasses. Donning them gives him special abilities- when it works. And sometimes he gains perfect mastery of chess when he needs to win an arm wrestling match, if he chooses the wrong pair. In addition he carries rope. Never know when you'll need a good rope.
Description: Accounts vary- usually, a tall english man with short, white hair and a dull leather coat. Some say it's aged naturally and some say it has to be died. Some say he's muscle-bound, others say he's lanky and thin. It is rumored that his personality, and even physical countenance, depend on the glasses he wears- though no-one has ever seen him 'change'. He fancies himself a sort of god, to the occasional chagrin of the 'god' AI's- or at least, when he's wearing a really flashy pair. There are accounts that sometimes he puts on a pair of glasses, decides that he doesn't want to do whatever he put them on, to the occasional chagrin of people who try to do business with him.

==> Wear SERIOUS BUSINESS GLASSES

...hopefully this isn't too pretentious, and can get by on the rule of cool/funny. And yes, I do just draw up these glasses on the spot. There will be more of them.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:39:43 am »

Load gun, take command.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 02:30:52 pm »

Everything appears to be in order. I think I'll have a little situation post before the first turn... I'll have it in a few minutes...

Inteuniso: No wounds; Tau armor, pulse rifle

Jacob: No wounds; .44 Mag, Fedora

Alex Kyrby: No wounds; Red gear, combat knife, .9mm, assault rifle, badge

CrazyTom: No wounds; Wristwatch, comp00ter, glasses, clothing

Vas Regis: No wounds; Suitcase of Specs, rope.

In the back of your mind, you hear an echoing voice. “I am Sermo. You have been chosen to combat a great force of corruption, one so powerful that we cannot affect it. We believe that it can be destroyed from inside the simulation, or at least distracted into lowering it's guard. We, the gods, will send you to a place where you and your fellow adventurers may prepare for your journey...”

You find yourself standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a mailbox here.

“Wait... crap...”

The voice fades to static and goes silent.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:55:28 pm by Schilcote »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:25:21 pm »

Open mailbox, scan mail with virus scanner, don't give bank account info to Nigerian Prince.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:20 pm »

Look around to see who's all here. And straighten my fedora. A man is nothing without his fedora!
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

I'm waiting for Int- ermm... intu... Mr. Fap-Tau.

And I won't wait very long.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73