Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Want a job as a transportation engineer? Look no further than dim butte!  (Read 3282 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

Quick note: If you are aplayer in one of my past games, and want me to continue that game, I'll put this one on hold and return to the other game(s).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congratulations on being accpeted for second stage interviews for the jobs available as the transportation council of the dim butte research centre.

If you are hired, you will be part of the council in charge of designing and maintaining the tram network, to ensure it runs even in the event of inevitable research backfires, and thus we will only accept the best. The fact that you passed the first interview says much for you, so please take a moment to fill out a form

----------------------------------------

Name:
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job:

We will review your applications shortly, and then you, if hired, may begin work immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summarry: Black Mesa parody is hiring tram network engineers/designers. Please fill out a form to play.

There will be inevitable backlash from experiments, ranging from mere collapses that may block tunnels, to full alien invasions(protagonist in an orange hazardous environment suit included), and it is your job to ensure that transportation continues to run smoothly by designing with the unknown in mind.
Eh?
Eh!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

An as-of-yet unnamed community TBS was fun, but unstructured and therefore short lived.

For now, I will submit someone.

Name: Barbarossa
Past Experience: Not much. I once worked as a boxboy.
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: I like money and am willing to work for it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

This is an awesome concept. We always took the tram in half-Life for granted, but SOMEONE had to keep the blighter running through the multiple fires and spatial breaches!

You have no idea how hard alien saliva is on tram couplings. Rots them to pieces!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Barbarossa
Past Experience: Not much. I once worked as a boxboy.
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: I like money and am willing to work for it.

Due to the tardiness of the other applicants, we are willing to offer you a job immediately, although you will be working alone until some of the others are accepted. If you accept the offer, we will be ready for you to begin work within 12 hours.
Eh?
Eh!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This might be fun, although I'll miss Just Some group of People Out to Make a Name for Themselves in the World.

Name: Nirur
Past Experience: I minored in engineering in college, then spent the next three years in a garage band. Turns out that I need a job if I ever want to eat again.
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: I will never give up, regardless of how many times my lesser work is destroyed, and will build a monument to last for eternity if it kills me. I've also got a nifty watch with a built-in calculator.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Name: Japa
Past experience: I played a lot of transport tycoon
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job:YOU WILL HIRE ME.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile

Name: Myroc
Past Experience: Yes.
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: Yes.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

Name: Leo
Past Experience: 16 years Class-D Personnel
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: I have never quit a job, I have been fired from every one.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thread reminds me of this: http://comedians.jokes.com/greg-hahn/videos/greg-hahn---job-interview

And, I'd sign up, but kinda uncertain about how gameplay works, or if I'd really be interested. Though I am reading for now at least.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

~~~~~~~~~~
Non-game post
~~~~~~~~~~

Gameplay, as far as I have it planned, is going to start with planning an initial design, having it built, and maintaining it, but various scientific "failures" and "successes" will potentially damage it, and newly planned expansions will require redesigns.

Often you will have a chance to go out personally to deal with troubles, so I wouldn't be surprised if for a few weeks everyone grabs a shotgun and hunts experiments in a TBS way at some point or other, and new players could likely be hired to fill roles. I have no idea how far it will expand, but it will start "simple", with only creating and maintaining the trams.
Eh?
Eh!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Name: Urist McEngineer
Past Experience: Majored in civil engineering at MIT, worked temporarily on Three Gorges Dam project
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: See "Past Experience"

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Nirur
Past Experience: I minored in engineering in college, then spent the next three years in a garage band. Turns out that I need a job if I ever want to eat again.
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: I will never give up, regardless of how many times my lesser work is destroyed, and will build a monument to last for eternity if it kills me. I've also got a nifty watch with a built-in calculator.

Accepted for the watch.

Name: Japa
Past experience: I played a lot of transport tycoon
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job:YOU WILL HIRE ME.

Hmm... A gamer... You'll be perfect!

Name: Leo
Past Experience: 16 years Class-D Personnel
Why you feel that you are the best candidate for the job: I have never quit a job, I have been fired from every one.

Excellent past experience!

If you were not accepted, you will be reconsidered in a few days, as the training budget is limited to four official trainees at a time. We encourage you to share notes, however, as it will improve training without cutting into the budget.

Here is a basic map of your first assignment. Most unnessecary details have been left out, as well as a bit of internal structure that the structural engineers have yet to finalize.

Once they have, and your training is complete, your first assignment will be to set up a single line tram loop to the main security checkpoint from the entrance doors.

For now, these are all you will need, again simplified outlines.
First, the yellow borders are the affected areas. Dark green is the minimum space, light green is optional space that, though it must be empty, on some tram designs may optionally be maintainence room.

As your training progresses, you will learn the advantages and disadvantages of each layout.
Eh?
Eh!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

I see the doors, but where is the checkpoint?

OOC: So if I understand this correctly, you have to fit the pieces together to get to the goal? Sort of like those games with pipes?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it would be more based on statistics. Money not one of them.

First, workers can only make a limited ammount per day.

Second, there is the concerns of how fast a tram can move on it, and how much power it requires.

Third, space.

But overall, it should be quite easy, as for now you are just making a simple loop, maybe meeting a goal of N maintainence/guard stops mid-track, to connect two stations that will be preset.

Some initial designs have been released.

The planning for the maintainence/tram storage will be finished later, but you won't need to concern yourselves with it.

Additionally, due to the fact that this will be a suspended tram, it will not support the really tight corner{the 1 tile one}, although I trust that won't be an issue?

It has been requested that there is an east-facing guard stop along the west line, with plenty of space in the middle for later developments.

Edit: Here is the source file so far, if you want to try designing a track yourself.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:55:00 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2 3