Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mini-mega project: wanted  (Read 3742 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Mini-mega project: wanted
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:14 am »

I suggest designing an aesthetically pleasing fortress. That saved me from my DF funk. Design a spiral staircase, courtyards and hallways and stick to them. Have the layout make sense from a dwarf's perspective instead of efficiency. Think about multi-z floors instead of every z-level being its own floor. And remember, function follows form in this case.
Sometimes good design comes from efficiency as well. At least, when I do some artwork (designing ships and weapons and such), I keep this in mind. Let the infrastructure design your fort/city, and then make it look pretty/ier.

Additionally, rely on ramps more than stairs; or make your fort with mainly ramps. You can also build a Fallout-style vault (Bonus points if using Post-Apocalypse/Wasteland Mod).

Another challenge: Ant-Hill
Design your fort like an ant hill; The bigger the fort is, the taller the mound that leads into it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:45:13 am by Itnetlolor »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 10:42:05 am »

Arm all of your dwarves (alternatively, just one- but make sure they're strong enough to survive!) and attack the outpost liaison in the first autumn.

You've now got a solo fortress with a dwarf that will kill any migrants in sight. Still got to bury them though.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 11:18:24 am »

Minecart shotgun.
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:20 am »

All beautiful ideas. Any more out there for me to try? I may combine a few.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 02:01:39 am »

Arm your dwarves in unusual ways:

- Sparta: All your soldier dwarves are armed as hoplites. Helm, breastplate, shield, spear and that's it.
- Switzerland: Every able-bodied adult dwarf carries a crossbow and practices with it one month out of the year.
- Exotic Arms: Your military is restricted to whips, scourges, morningstars, flails, longswords, and scimitars (or just one of those). Human caravans are your new best friend.
- Trial By Combat: All dwarves must kill an enemy (captured goblin/ creature from underground) either in full armor, unarmored but with weapon, or unarmed, before being inducted into the military
- Only Black Belts May Use Weapons Here: Dwarves are trained as wrestlers to a given level (Talented? Adept?) and only then are they given a weapon to use in combat.
- Naked Menace: Dwarves use an axe, shield, and nothing else (or maybe a helmet). They are trained in danger rooms, set to NOT wear uniforms when off-duty, set to not wear their uniforms over clothing, and kept in inactive status unless enemies appear, at which point they are activated, tear off their clothing, pick up an axe and shield and go murdering. (I dunno exactly how to best engineer this but I am tempted :D )

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:58:36 am »

Naked Menace could lead to some Hilarious results for sure. I think I have a new suicide squad. I'm thinking aesthetic planning, but I'd like a little more restrictions on that. how many z-levels do you guys want to lock me into? Aside from Magma forges, but those will also be locked this this many levels.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:42 am »

Train up a legendary kicker!
Or a kicker squad.

Or how about an archers' catwalk around the whole map? Harder and cooler than regular lookout towers.

Or, how about using only gem-encrusted beds? This requires above average levels of workshop and stockpile management.

Or copy that magma-mister from that one guy.
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.
Pages: 1 [2]