Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'  (Read 8813 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'
« on: March 30, 2010, 06:49:36 am »

Or, in this particular instance; Shad Runs.

There i was, planning on how i was going to cap the magma pipe in the middle of my desert to stop Fire Imps swarming out and eating all my dudes, and i look down at the nearby river.

Which had turned into fish.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know if this has been noted before, but i'm amazed that Toady coded salmon runs into this; a quick check reveals they are even swimming upstream.

I intend to get a whole bunch of fishermen and see if this bounty can be fished. If so, many foods will be had.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:00:37 am »

Is this on purpose?  ???
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:06:58 am »

I'm pretty sure it is; it just happened again.

Looks like i can expect twice-yearly runs.

The mass of Shad appears at the downstream portion of the river, flows fairly quickly upstream and then swims off the map. It moves as one cohesive mass and the whole process takes maybe 2 minutes.

This is vastly different from the usual Vermin locomotion (that is to say, teleportation), these Shad do not teleport, they actually swim from square to square, so i can only conclude this was deliberately programmed into the game; if it was an accident i'd expect to see them teleporting around like crazy, and i wouldn't expect to see it in repeated by short intervals.

No, i think DF has salmon runs programmed into it.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:10:34 am »

Oh my god. I always looked at my salmon and went ">:( I will track you to see if you are moving upstream!" But this is just on a different level entirely. Wow. A river of fish.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:44:25 am »

I love these little details that Toady codes in, possibly wondering if someone will ever stumble upon them. Neruz, do you mind taking a video of it next time? Seems like it'd be pretty cool to watch.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 08:57:00 am »

Yet another thing that was only discovered now. Awesome.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:16:00 am »

In my mermaid-farm ocean-side fortress, I have seen schools of anchovies migrating along the shoreline.  While vermin teleport, they don't do so in a random way;  depending on type they stay in groups and travel in a definite pattern.  I don't know what tags define it, but it's cool to watch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:18:12 am »

Individual vermin teleport randomly, but there seem to be certain things that are coded in to make them move more normally. Batsplosions are an example of this (interestingly i have Batsplosions on this map as well as the Salmon Runs).

I'll try and video it when i play the fort again tomorrow.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:41:57 am »

I saw something like this once. Not a full blown salmon run like you have, but definetly a migration.

In that fort, I had a brook which froze during the winter and I noticed that shortly before the brook froze over, there would be a migration of a group of salmon upriver I think. It happened like clockwork since it would come through not long before the river froze and I used it as a cue that the brook would freeze over.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:49:23 am »

Heh, in my first long-running fort I had a batsplosion. I was concerned they'd attack my fort so I mobilized my crossbowdwarves. >.<

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:53:06 am »

Heh, in my first long-running fort I had a batsplosion. I was concerned they'd attack my fort so I mobilized my crossbowdwarves. >.<

I had a batsplosion too in one fort which apparently had a chasm home to many millions of bats. At one point, they filled one of my main hallways, so much that I wondered if they were causing problems by clogging the hallway. Dwarves who hated bats had a horrible time in that fort.

JoeyLemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't fear the lemur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:58:27 am »

Always wondered about the batsplosions.  The local cat population always seems to love them... the garbage haulers, not so much.   ;D

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:11:31 am »

I've noticed that effect before in the ocean with jellyfish.  It's quite surreal to see what looks like a swarm of statues suddenly washing up on shore.  The pattern in the ocean is a lot more circular at first and flows with the waves towards the shore.
Sanity is for the weak.

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:35:07 am »

Can we have world gen info and site location? I'd really like to investigate this discovery in more detail.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 10:53:09 am »

Now that people will be doing more non-mountain sites, I bet we will be observing more stuff like this.

I've never seen a full blown salmon run in DF, mainly because I embark in mountains where there are only brooks.

Also, what is the mussel doing in there? I've never seen them spawn in brooks or streams, although I've had fisherdwarves 'fish' freshwater mussels out of brooks before.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5