Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'  (Read 8816 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 04:25:30 pm »

Might still be possible to redirect them to an interior pool for safe fishing at your leisure. I know I've seen clumps of salmon hanging out in pools before, and if they're connected to my internal well my dwarves can fish from inside the fortress.

Not sure if they'll eventually migrate away via teleportation, though. Might be worth testing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 04:32:25 pm »

Do weapon traps work on fish? Because I'm imagining a section of the river blocked off with floodgates, but flowing down through a channel filled with weapon traps. It would end at a fish collection area covered in grates, next to some fisheries. The good part is that water pressure would push the dead fish along after they get "processed."

Not sure this would work. I once tried to make a more efficient butchery by spike trapping horses, but the dwarves refused to collect the meat of the dead horses. Then I tried it again drowning puppies, but the dwarves again wouldn't collect the meat. At least with land animals, it seems dwarves won't butcher anything that wasn't killed by dwarfy hands.

As for whether once can redirect the fish swarm into a safe room for later fishing, again I'm not sure it would work. In my last fort I redirected a river into my castle and seperated my castle's water source from teh river with a grate, but I noticed fish were still getting in. Maybe a floodgate would work?

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 04:37:46 pm »

Do weapon traps work on fish? Because I'm imagining a section of the river blocked off with floodgates, but flowing down through a channel filled with weapon traps. It would end at a fish collection area covered in grates, next to some fisheries. The good part is that water pressure would push the dead fish along after they get "processed."

Not sure this would work. I once tried to make a more efficient butchery by spike trapping horses, but the dwarves refused to collect the meat of the dead horses. Then I tried it again drowning puppies, but the dwarves again wouldn't collect the meat. At least with land animals, it seems dwarves won't butcher anything that wasn't killed by dwarfy hands.

IIRC, no matter how you kill wild land animals, they can be butchered. But I'm not sure how it works for fish.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 04:41:47 pm »

IIRC, no matter how you kill wild land animals, they can be butchered. But I'm not sure how it works for fish.
Yep, wild animals can be butchered no matter how they die.  Tame animals can only be butchered after being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop.  And vermin (including fish) leave behind 'remains' if killed, which can't be used for anything.  You can only get food from vermin fish by having a dwarf performing the fishing job, and I'm not convinced that the fish returned from that process have anything to do with the vermin fish you see moving around in the water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:33 pm »

If the food-plan fails, just build a huge atom-smasher in the river instead. When the salmon-run occurs, pull the lever for a big red splat!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »

I would create a hollow floor of the river myself with a fish basin under it. Then when the fish come, pull the switch and fish the fish at yer leisure.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 05:16:54 pm »

Added a note on salmon runs to the wiki. I'm sure we can find out which token combination invokes this with a bit of science.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 06:33:33 pm »

Moss doesn't really do anything but sit there.  But it's really hard to actually see it in Fortress mode - you have to have a fort that lasts something like 15-20 years (my 13 year fortress doesn't have any moss yet).  So it took a long time to discover (since most forts don't last longer than 5-7 years).

Moss only grows on constructed structures, outside, after a long period of time.

The fort doesn't have to SURVIVE.  Moss will grow if you make enough time pass by abandoning and reclaiming the fort (or starting new forts then abandoning them) repeatedly.  I did one of those when I learned about moss so I could see it for myself.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 07:38:54 pm »

Agh, i just missed the spring run, so no video. I'll try and catch the autumn run.

I only noticed when i realised my two novice fisherdwarves were running up to the river, catching fish instantly and then running back to the fort with a shad. My poor fish cleaner.

This map appears to have a bounty of vermin; there are regular clumps of a dozen+ Toads hopping about, yearly batsplosions from my fort entrance, the salmon runs, the mussel swimming around in the river. Lots of dragonflies around the river and small flocks of birds, and that's just everything i noticed while not really looking.

I'm kinda happy my cat died to Fire Imps now; all these vermin make the place much more lively and interesting to watch. Although no doubt it won't be long before some useless immigrant arrives with a pet floofy.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 08:17:59 pm »

Caught the tail end of the Autumn run on tape.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2042-shadrun

The Autumn run goes downstream, while the Spring run goes upstream. The runs definitely appear at one end of the river and then flow down to the other end, unfortunately i was faffing about with the video recorder (never used it before) so i didn't manage to record the start of the run.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 08:32:13 pm »

Now setup a system to drain the river, killing the fish.  Then you send in hordes of butchers to create a massive fishing industry. 

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 08:40:15 pm »

Now setup a system to drain the river, killing the fish.  Then you send in hordes of butchers to create a massive fishing industry. 

We've already gone over this; they're vermin fish, have to be fished, not butchered.

Fishermen do appear to catch Shad instantly when fishing in the river during these runs though, so a small horde of Fishermen would seem to be a good way to feed the fort, at least for a short while until the fish run out.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 09:06:43 pm »

We've already gone over this; they're vermin fish, have to be fished, not butchered.

Fishermen do appear to catch Shad instantly when fishing in the river during these runs though, so a small horde of Fishermen would seem to be a good way to feed the fort, at least for a short while until the fish run out.

You could set a food stockpile to only accept raw fish next to a fishing zone with zone only fishing turned on. Your dorfs would just have to take a few steps. You would probably want a stockpile of barrels close by too.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 09:10:01 pm »

I'm just glad for your dwarves thats not a carp or sturgeon run.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »

I wonder how many other things Toady One is just waiting for us to find.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5