Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: SparkGear X-TREME  (Read 56266 times)

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
Re: SparkGear X-TREME
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:56 am »

Sounds like you're doing pretty well, 64-bit! :D

Just to let you guys know, I'm scheduled for tomorrow, but I'm not going to look at the save until 1PM Eastern US time at the earliest.  (That's 5PM GMT, if my calculations are correct.)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2010, 02:05:18 am »

from the Journal of 64-bit, Lead Engineer
1st Felsite, 1058

Everything was going well, until this showed up, i don't really know what to call it, but it goes by the name sedme. we found it when it incinerated a farmer, down by the cliff were the tigermen used to be chained. it snuck in though another crack, this fortress seems to be more porous than pumice. if we survive this latest invasion, lots of new walls will be put up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it would help if our military would actually respond to the threat at hand, but them seem content to wander in and out of the dining hall. the one solider that actually responded is fighting it on the main staircase, from a floor above it. he is unarmed but has manage to bruise it up a bit. lets hope someone will finally grab a weapon and finish it off so that we can plug that hole, and get back to the project at hand

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2010, 02:09:54 am »

Yeah, it seems like there's some bug where only one dwarf can wrestle a creature at once.  All the other guys will ignore it.  If you can throw some axxdwarfs at it you might have better luck.
At last, she is done.

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:52 am »

if thats the case, there is hope, as axdwarfs have been tasked to kill it, i guess i just have to wait for the now legendary wrestler to finally die. for a forgotten beast w/ fire breath, its really not that deadly. its causing a huge amount of paths to fail, and other stuff, dragging the framerate down to 4-7 ish.

seeing as i haven't actually gotten anything useful done before something sneaks in and jams up the staircase/fort, we should probably revert the save back one. if the next player realy wants my save, i can upload it, but, the only thing thats differnt is that a few more pumps are built, a area is dug out for power wheels by the river, and you have a non-leathal , but nearly immortal blue 3 tailed chicken that can breath fire jamming up the main staircase. i would go back again and try to get something done, but its nearly 3 am. maybe ill be able to get another turn in later, and actually get something done.

Advice for the next player: Seal the fortress off from the caves as soon as possible, because, the traps don't stop the forgotten beasts, and it seems you have a very good chance of getting one you can't kill.

Link to the save so you don't have to hunt for it http://db48x.net/SGX/SGX%20Day%20Eleven.zip
use the save labeled save B

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2010, 08:28:25 am »

Either that or convince those dwarves to pick up an axe every now and then.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2010, 10:23:10 am »

Yeah, Sedme came around way back during my turn.  He's a bastard.  He flies and toasts dwarfs for fun.  I was worried he might come up through the Tigerman pen or the part of the central shaft that was only accessible by air.

At last, she is done.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »

I downloaded the save and looked at it, but I haven't done anything of note yet.  I'll keep you guys updated.
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2010, 02:05:56 pm »

Are the tigermen still alive? How's my dwarf doing?

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »

I don't want to spoil the surprise and look at the save, so I'll just ask. How big is the embark? People are saying there are getting bad fps and I'm just wondering where I'd stand as far as fps is concerned.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2010, 04:17:43 pm »

It's 4x3.  I think the FPS problem is mostly due to all the animals, monsters, and captives.
At last, she is done.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

It's 4x3.  I think the FPS problem is mostly due to all the animals, monsters, and captives.

Captives, eh? Im sure I can deal with that when it's my go :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »

I'm getting a rather strange error...every time I save the game, it goes through "Saving game" and then when it goes to "Cleaning game objects" it crashes.  It looks like the game IS saved, so I can still do stuff and not have my work lost.

However, 8 or 9 FPS.  I've never played a fortress that slow.  I'll do what I can, but I may not make much progress. :(

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2010, 08:19:28 pm »

it did that crashing thing on close to me also, during cleaning game objects, everything worked fine save wize. i thought it was just my pc, odd.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2010, 10:34:05 pm »

31.03 is up, it might have some better lag reduction issues.

Otherwise, keep dumping your problems into the neighbor's yard. Works wonders.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #239 on: April 14, 2010, 02:37:58 am »

=====

Chaoseed's Journal, ?? Obsidian

I was carting stones through the magma pump stairwell and it suddenly hit me--gems, all over the place!  How can we just fill this shaft with magma when there are all these precious gems?!?

=====

I'm afraid I threw a bit of a fit.  The funny thing is, the miners started listening to me and digging out the gems.  Hmmm, if they're willing to go along with my orders, maybe I have some other ideas to improve this place...it's not like anyone else knows what to do around here.  Then I can just stand around and give orders!

=====

I've heard rumors of dark beasts wandering the underground.  The other dwarves have been afraid for months that one will invade our diggings and throw us into chaos.

Well, no longer—I've walled up all the entrances to the underground!  Suck it, Thrathnu!

=====

Who chained up all those tigermen by the magma?  And what purpose did those diggings serve?  I stopped the diggings and freed all the tigers.  Go, be free!

They were all rather thirsty.  I've decided to build a well above the magma workshop area.  Demonic Spoon seemed quite willing to help out, when I convinced him to stop engraving.  (Why do we have to engrave EVERY hallway?)

=====

Lots of junk lying around.  We need more bins and barrels.  What metal do we have a lot of...eeny meeny mined-y nickel.  Yes, nickel containers for everyone!

=====

Some farmer took over a workshop.  We've got tons of everything EXCEPT shells; guess what he wants.  I don't think this will end well.

=====

?? Granite

The well area is almost finished and enclosed.  There's only one access from the underground proper into our stair shaft, and that only accessible to flying creatures; with a few more plans and orders, it will soon be walled off.  Nearly all the gems are dug out.  Yes, I think I'm getting the hang of this job!

...hey.  Hey you.  Want to be overseer?

=====

I built a few walls and a few pumps, but that's about it.  The framerate makes it next to impossible to do anything. :(  I THINK Ngathi can't bother us, but I guess we'll see. ;)  I know I have a few hours left, but I need to get to sleep.  Good luck to the next player!

SparkGear Day 12!  Download it here!  Click this yellow text!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28