Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: SparkGear X-TREME  (Read 55645 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: SparkGear X-TREME
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:57 pm »

I say we go for the middle ground. Flood the place with water, cap'n!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2010, 09:30:47 pm »

Yea, the plague is from contact with the demon's blood. Supposedly doctors are supposed to be able to diagnose that sort of thing, and prescribe an antidote, but it's never happened. To be honest, I wouldn't count on a magma flood getting rid of the plague. One spatter of infected blood left will restart the entire thing, and I doubt the magma will get rid of any of them. Water only spreads them around, magma will probably just do the same. Perhaps a controlled test first?

As for the crutches, animals, toys, cages and other crap, every single caravan brings them and not all caravans have left intact. Many elven caravans were stripped and sent away empty, several have fallen to goblins, etc. Only half a dozen animals have actually been purchased in fair trade :) Also, it's rather funny to export animals that will only spread the plague further :D

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2010, 10:08:49 pm »

Oh, it gets worse. Because Spoon's in charge of almost everything, since he started rotting we have no broker or bookkeeper or anything. We can't even swap him out for a healthy dwarf. As far as I can see, this fortress is pretty much doomed. Flooding the place with water might work out a little better for what I had planned, but that would mean we would lose the bottom forge level forever.

Current tally:
2 votes for flaming/watery death
0 against

BTW, Huggz just gave birth to a girl.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2010, 10:19:32 pm »

I vote against, but why would we lose the forge level forever?

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2010, 10:45:03 pm »

Well, possibly not forever, but it would be hard to empty

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2010, 10:48:51 pm »

but why bother? just dig a new one. one or two new pumps to get magma from the new source into the existing pump tower, etc. It would just be that room that's full of water, not the whole level

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 16, 2010, 11:08:06 pm »

Oh no, the magma pump will be fine, just the forge area around it.

I have another problem. For some reason, the second set of pumps that feed the moat are unpowered. I'm guessing someone got rid of that windmill and sealed them off. That wouldn't be so bad, but my dwarves won't go outside to unseal them so they can be re-powered. Of course, since the moat now feeds the waterfall too, it's drained to the point where goblins have used the moat as an entry point for an ambush.

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 16, 2010, 11:19:22 pm »

awesome. could a an invader have destroyed the windmill? several times I've had trolls wander around tearing down everything. I guess once they got into the waterworks they tore down the flood gates?

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 16, 2010, 11:25:29 pm »

Yea, the windmill is missing in my copy as well. one squad of goblins walked right past it to get to the front gate, so I bet they took it out at the same time. I wish I had noticed how unprotected it was

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 16, 2010, 11:38:19 pm »

No, all the floodgates are still there. No trolls in the ambush. But still no-one is going outside to tear down the wall/floor so I can power up the moat again

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 16, 2010, 11:40:17 pm »

Then how did they use the moat to stage an ambush?

Also, if it's safe to go outside, go to the military screen, alerts page, select Inactive2 and hit enter. That'll set all of the civilians back to the Inactive alert, which will let them out of the burrow that they're in.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 16, 2010, 11:54:56 pm »

I have no idea how they got in, they just appeared in the moat area just south of the demon corpse in an Ambush!

Update: we have 36 dwarves out of 94 that are not resting. 6 of those are children/infants. The hospital corridor is covered in blood. The surface area around the waterfall is covered in 4-5 pages of pus and blood of varying depths. Also, my vote is firmly for doom.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:09:40 am by Samoorai »

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2010, 12:27:01 am »

awesome, we're using corpses as landmarks :)

I don't think flooding the fort will get rid of the bloodstains. Flooding the entrance just moved the stains around.

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:57 am »

LET THE HOLY BLOOD OF ARMOK CLEANSE THE WEAK AND LET THOSE WHO ARE WORTHY RISE UP THROUGH THE FIRES INTO IMMORTALITY.

seriously though, try to record it for great justice.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2010, 12:35:08 am »

If it's going to be anything it'll have to be water. I don't think I'm going to have time for a magma death system, purely due to the rate of disease. there are only 25 non-resting dwarves, 4 are children and 1 is an infant. Even one of the working dwarves has a rotten lip. We may simply lose the fortress to disease.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28